Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
litfan10
owner of slave_

Tom Petty has left us

Tom Petty, dead at 66.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...tom-petty-dead

So many great rock songs.

Very sad.

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You sir, have a mucky mind" - Dianthus 7/26/10
"Yes, it's official. You are cute!" - slave_ 09/09/10
"Now, you are a cute smart ass" - slave_ 10/21/10
"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
FullyLoadedUK
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
Tom Petty, dead at 66.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...tom-petty-dead

So many great rock songs.

Very sad.
Agreed. Very talented man.

Have to say that the first thing that flashed in my mind was the video to Last Dance with Mary Jane and him waking up in the morgue. Of all the songs to remember.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
PuckIt
Really Really Experienced

Ayup.

When I first saw it, I first thought "he was at the concert in Vegas?"

But, no. Full cardiac arrest just a few hours ago.

Goodbye Tom. Thanks for the memories.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Just saw that. Damn.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Elloelle
Really Experienced

Wow. Just saw Brian Setzer's post on FB with a Pic him with Tom and Mike. But all it said was "Always love you, Tom." Didn't know 'til now what it meant.

Tom and the Heartbreakers was always one of my favorites and I listened to his Sirius radio show for a while. Also followed him with Wilbury's. Awesome music. And I always have some in my playlists.

I'll miss him.

Anal Sex is for Buttholes

Now New and Improved! With 75% more!

The Boss's stuff.
(Not Bruce Springfield and stuff)

Old 10-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
PuckIt

Wait!

Or not! Apparently that was a misinformed soundbite from LAPD. It looks like he may be on life support!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...aul?li=BBnbfcL

Lost and confused, but that's not unusual for me.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
FullyLoadedUK
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post
Wait!

Or not! Apparently that was a misinformed soundbite from LAPD. It looks like he may be on life support!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...aul?li=BBnbfcL

Lost and confused, but that's not unusual for me.
TMZ jumped the gun. Everyone else jumped the TMZ story.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
litfan10
owner of slave_

Wow, talk about "fake news"
Well, here's to wishing he'll make it through this fine.

She was never as simple as she led them to believe; She was the keeper of a secret flame, and she waited patiently for somebody to see it, and love it, as it burned.--Jose Chaves - Seen, Loved, and Cherished

"You are so full of s**t your eyes are brown" (and they really are!) - TxRad 7/24/10

I'm a perverted, smut minded, slave owning, poly-amorous, bisexual Buddhist - been a Hell of a journey getting me here but I love the destination Me

product of my mucky mind

Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfan10 View Post
Wow, talk about "fake news"
Well, here's to wishing he'll make it through this fine.
I certainly hope he'll have the pleasure of reading everybody's tributes.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
PuckIt

Looks like now it's official. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rocker-...ty-dead-at-66/

Wife and I had a feeling this was how it was going to go when they said he was on the machines.

He'll be greatly missed.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Maybe I'm too old and had stopped listening to lyrics by Petty's time. I remember the line "won't back down" but not much else. I remember the Freefallin' video, the girl on the skateboard, but not much else. He made fine music but I just didn't connect. My bad.

His music will stand.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
SusanJillParker
I'm 100% woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post
Looks like now it's official. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rocker-...ty-dead-at-66/

Wife and I had a feeling this was how it was going to go when they said he was on the machines.

He'll be greatly missed.
The evidence is undeniable.

Now that we've been watching these entertainers and movie stars developing horrible illnesses and prematurely dying, we all must say no to drugs.

Drug abuse in this country is epidemic. Seemingly, everyone wants to zone out to not face reality.

I'm glad that I never used drugs and don't drink very much.

"Bartender, give me another. In honor of Tom Petty, make it a double this time."

"One, double, Shirley Temple coming right up."
A three time winner of Literotica's year long, Survivor Contests, the writer with the most stories in the most categories wins. I finished 2nd three times and 3rd twice. I've won twice as much contest money than any other writer on Literotica.
As well as 7 other secret names, I've written under the names of AndTheEnd, BostonFictionWriter, CarBuffStuff, PositiveThinker, SuperHeroRalph and WmForrester. Now I write under my real name, my birth name, SusanJillParker.
I've written more than 2,200 stories and poems and more than 10 million words, all posted on literotica. My story, I love you, Mommy, written under my WmForrester name was the most read story in all of 2010 and is #59 on the all-time most read list with 2 million hits.
I deleted 350 stories from my BostonFictionWriter name due to theft and have won three Green E's. Oh, and I'm modest too.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
litfan10
owner of slave_

I always appreciated how he very vocally fought the labels during a price increase for vinyl way back in the day.

He wrote fun, catchy songs.

My favorite was "Last Dance with Mary Jane."

I also loved how on the CD for Full Moon Fever he had an audio part in the middle stating that this was the point in the record where listeners would have to get up and flip the record over so they would have a moment of silence in honor. I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it and still chuckle today.

product of my mucky mind

Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
NoJo
Fan of Arts & Farces

Heartbreaking news.

-- too soon?

Old 10-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #16
rjordan
Literotica Guru

"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" with Stevie Nicks runs through my head several times a year for some reason. Since his death it's becoming an ear worm, but not all that unpleasant.

rj

ETAOINSHRDLU

Old 10-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

Damn! Great Musician, Great Singer. He'll be missed.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
Calista85
Really Experienced

Dating myself a bit, but I saw Tom at Great woods-now concast I think-in Ma back in the eighties. I didn't know his music, but the guy I'd just started dating loved him so I bought tickets

I left a huge fan, guy was amazing live

Not one of his better known songs, but my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qALwpkQMoHg

and another lesser known one I enjoyed witgh Miss Nicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BIHyNMWAgw

Old Today, 03:48 AM   #19
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

double-post, stupid hotel internet.

Last edited by Bramblethorn : Today at 03:56 AM.

Old Today, 03:56 AM   #20
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

The coroner's report has just been released. It's pretty awful:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...erdose-w515472

Looks like Petty kept touring with a fractured hip, which eventually worsened into a full-blown break, and he died from a mixture of pain meds.

From commentary I saw elsewhere, can't find the link just now: some of the meds he was taking are dangerous when combined. Some of the fentanyl compounds found in his system shouldn't be found in legally-prescribed pain meds, but it's been known for unscrupulous folk to substitute them for prescription opioids, so people can end up getting them by accident even from legal meds.

So sad, both that he felt pressured to keep touring instead of resting up and getting well, and that his pain wasn't being properly managed :-/

p.s. Folks who took his death as an opportunity to sermonise about rock stars and drug use, maybe take this as a reminder not to damn people without knowing the facts. I doubt many of us would volunteer to endure a broken hip without opioids, legal or otherwise.

Old Today, 05:05 AM   #21
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
From commentary I saw elsewhere, can't find the link just now: some of the meds he was taking are dangerous when combined. Some of the fentanyl compounds found in his system shouldn't be found in legally-prescribed pain meds, but it's been known for unscrupulous folk to substitute them for prescription opioids, so people can end up getting them by accident even from legal meds.

So sad, both that he felt pressured to keep touring instead of resting up and getting well, and that his pain wasn't being properly managed
Now that is sad and all so completely avoidable.
- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old Today, 08:59 AM   #22
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

I'm not trying to sound insensitive, but I'm having hard time thinking Petty was being pressured into touring. He's been around how long? He has how much money? If there was pressure it was his own because perhaps he was one of those people who just didn't know how to stop doing what he's been doing his entire adult life.

On the drugs, pain meds are a very serious issue in this country, they are given away like candy by far too many doctors, period, let alone the situation mention in Bramblethorn's post.

This country's society is based on "Here take a pill" for anything from anxiety, to pain to attention issues. All of which can be helped without meds or a limited amount, but hey, that would be work and the despicable healthcare industry couldn't have you hooked for life to line their pockets.