Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
John988
Really Experienced

Creative Grammar

Do any authors here have a little fun playing around with grammar? I read a lot outside of Lit--classics and modern fiction--and I've seen a lot of interesting takes on "proper" grammar. The English language is a living language, and it seems to me that, so long as the author's points are evident and intelligible, grammar can be bent to fit their particular voice. My favorite example is using a third conjunction: "He went to the store to get some strawberries, and he discovered that they were on sale, but they were starting to grow mold." This is technically incorrect, but it captures the author's stream of consciousness better.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Yes. Another name for that is "writing fiction."

Old 09-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
PuckIt
Literotica Guru

Depending upon whom you ask, playing with grammar was exactly what most set Shakespeare apart from his contemporaries. Just a thought.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Elloelle
Really Experienced

I don't eat a lot of crackers but I eat some with soup and stuff but sometimes I like the grammer ones with the cake icing you get in a can cause I can't bake cakes so the grammer crackers have to do.

Debbie

Anal Sex is for Buttholes

Now New and Improved! With 75% more!

The Boss's stuff.
(Not Bruce Springfield and stuff)

Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
rjordan
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Yes. Another name for that is "writing fiction."
Yea, I think the average or better writers on Lit are no different from fiction writers anywhere else. I think the rules can be intentionally bent or broken by a writer for a certain effect. That's different from ignoring the rules which is just chaos.

One thing I notice from posts on the AH and from regularly reading lots of Lit stories is that Lit writers are generally very well read. Even if they don't know a past participle from a lepton particle, they know what they're doing with written language from constant exposure and use it to good purpose.

rj

Old 09-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John988 View Post
Do any authors here have a little fun playing around with grammar? I read a lot outside of Lit--classics and modern fiction--and I've seen a lot of interesting takes on "proper" grammar. The English language is a living language, and it seems to me that, so long as the author's points are evident and intelligible, grammar can be bent to fit their particular voice. My favorite example is using a third conjunction: "He went to the store to get some strawberries, and he discovered that they were on sale, but they were starting to grow mold." This is technically incorrect, but it captures the author's stream of consciousness better.
Not being an expert in the English language, I ventured on to Google to look up
the meaning of "a third conjunction." Astronomy, "Third Grade Conjunction Games" and a 'workshop', but nothing I could get my head round by way of an explanation.
I reckon the sentence you quoted is a bit of a spoof (as well as being barely comprehensible).
It sure did not capture this stream of consciousness.

But yes, occasionally, I'll use phrases in what I hope is a humorous way; if the story needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elloelle View Post
I don't eat a lot of crackers but I eat some with soup and stuff but sometimes I like the grammer ones with the cake icing you get in a can cause I can't bake cakes so the grammer crackers have to do.

Debbie
I reckon that says it all.

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
oggbashan
Ancient writer

You mean like this?

https://www.literotica.com/s/breathless-stargazing

Nude Day 2018 Story:

https://www.literotica.com/s/naked-corpse

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
oggbashan
Ancient writer

More seriously - dialogue doesn't stick to grammar rules.

Word keeps flagging up my dialogue as 'fragments'. Why not? That's how people speak.

I don't try to replicate dialogue exactly, nor to be completely grammatical in speech, but to give a flavour of how people speak.

Nude Day 2018 Story:

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
My I
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
More seriously - dialogue doesn't stick to grammar rules.

Word keeps flagging up my dialogue as 'fragments'. Why not? That's how people speak.

I don't try to replicate dialogue exactly, nor to be completely grammatical in speech, but to give a flavour of how people speak.
Indeed.

How do you breathe life into a character that can't speak like he HAS a life?

You may know a thing that is not true. But in understanding there can be ONLY truth.
If you truly want to understand you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea.

The Truth is in the Contrast

And Stuff

Fate is just what you call it when you don’t know the name of the person screwing you over.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

I liked playing with grammar. She usually let me win.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My I View Post
Indeed.

How do you breathe life into a character that can't speak like he HAS a life?
Just copy the pattern of speech of someone you know that fits the character you want...

Nude Day 2018 Story:

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:

Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
latecomer91364
Literotica Guru

I have a friend I play with in Gramecy Park (L.A.). That's either relevant or revelent. I'm just not sure which.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
HandsInTheDark
Storyteller

If the POV is that of a character, the grammar should be that of the character. If it's very imperfect, that says something about the character, but saying things about the character is the author's job.

If the POV is omniscient, the grammar should be correct, as befits someone who can be everywhere and see everything. Surely an omniscient being can learn grammar?

Unintentionally incorrect grammar is jarring. If it happens enough I close the story.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

My style started out writing as someone would speak. In which case, grammar is out the window for the most part. It works well, so why mess with it. A distinct if incorrect voice is better than no voice at all.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by latecomer91364 View Post
I have a friend I play with in Gramecy Park (L.A.). That's either relevant or revelent. I'm just not sure which.
Close enough. Consider the tome of witchcraft and wizardry, the grimoire. Oooh, evil magic spells! The name comes from grammar, i.e. anyone who could spell and write must be a warlock. So let's all do some sex-magick, hey?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #16
latecomer91364
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
Close enough. Consider the tome of witchcraft and wizardry, the grimoire. Oooh, evil magic spells! The name comes from grammar, i.e. anyone who could spell and write must be a warlock. So let's all do some sex-magick, hey?
I too am very suspicious of the literate: They're all planning something...

But I'm always up for some magical sex! Please leave the eyes of newt at home. They tend to get squished between the thrashing bodies, and I can never get those stains out of my lingerie.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 PM   #17
ishtat
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Joycean Og.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #18
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

One of my favourite stories. But, judging by the reception, Seamus, Lit was perhaps not the best place to post it. Ah, well ... we try these things, Seamus. And sometimes we also manage to pull them off - although, clearly, not 'pull them off' in the sense understood by the majority of Lit readers. Such is life. Give the dog a bone. Let the cards fall where they will, Seamus. Let the cards fall where they will.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-kitchen-table-2

Old 09-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
Handley_Page
Draco interdum Vincit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamScribble View Post
One of my favourite stories. But, judging by the reception, Seamus, Lit was perhaps not the best place to post it. Ah, well ... we try these things, Seamus. And sometimes we also manage to pull them off - although, clearly, not 'pull them off' in the sense understood by the majority of Lit readers. Such is life. Give the dog a bone. Let the cards fall where they will, Seamus. Let the cards fall where they will.

https://www.literotica.com/s/the-kitchen-table-2
I loved that advertising. . . .

Handley Page

Incident at Cemetery Junction.
" Pest Control."
"Mavis's Car Trip."
"Norman-the-dragon. "
"Stacy & the Angel. "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story. "
" How to do Audio. "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259

Old 10-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
NOIRTRASH
Loves Spam

John O'Hara usta complain about clueless editors correcting character speech.

One of my grandfathers came from Sheffield, Slimey-Limey Land. All Brits talk different but the same. Speech experts knpw why. So fake Brit speech is obvious to me, just as fake Southern speech isobvious to me..

Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #21
NoJo
Fan of Arts & Farces

Quote:
Never read that one until just now, og, it was buried deep in the bowels of your massive ouvre. Loved it

Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #22
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJo View Post
Never read that one until just now, og, it was buried deep in the bowels of your massive ouvre. Loved it
Thank you. I enjoyed writing it.

Nude Day 2018 Story:

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:

Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
DMBFFF
Literotica Guru

https://www.literotica.com/s/breathless-stargazing[/quote]

and that thought reminded me that Mary and I were supposed to be guarding the wood from the depredations of known poachers at which task we were manifestly failing because any poacher would hear our coupling form a considerable distance and divert to another part of the wood to pursue their illegal activities undisturbed by the distracted

57 consecutive words with no punctuations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
I liked playing with grammar. She usually let me win.
cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsInTheDark View Post
If the POV is that of a character, the grammar should be that of the character. If it's very imperfect, that says something about the character, but saying things about the character is the author's job.

If the POV is omniscient, the grammar should be correct, as befits someone who can be everywhere and see everything. Surely an omniscient being can learn grammar?

Unintentionally incorrect grammar is jarring. If it happens enough I close the story.
Agreed.

"When I end a quote with a period, I don't capitalize the next word." he said.

I've also been playing with pronouns. "He or she," or "he/she" are a bit lengthy, but I'm not a big fan of the singular they. I've been experimenting with made-up pronouns that are gender-neutral, but specific in regards to proximate and obviate use. You know the problem:

"Donald Trump sat next to the caddy. He gently caressed his hair and rested his hand on his lap. He then flicked a bug off his shoulder."

Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #24
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBFFF View Post

and that thought reminded me that Mary and I were supposed to be guarding the wood from the depredations of known poachers at which task we were manifestly failing because any poacher would hear our coupling form a considerable distance and divert to another part of the wood to pursue their illegal activities undisturbed by the distracted

57 consecutive words with no punctuations.
And my typo! 'from' not 'form'.

Nude Day 2018 Story:

Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66: