Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout > Writers' Challenges and Exercises

Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #26
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

I can't imagine using F1 and F2 though it would easily clear up my same search and replace issue that hits on occasion. I do need a place holder. I tend to just use a very generic name in those places.

I find that watching the credits of a show is nice you end up with really odd names that don't have much of an attatchment at the start.

"Be bold with your intentions, and delicious with your sins."
~Unknown

Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #27
JayLikestoRead
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
BUT - I usually start writing my stories with 'vanilla' names and only change the name after the character has begun to develop. I use Word's 'find and replace' but that isn't wholly reliable. In one story I had the Indian name Reshed but I changed it to Reshad. Find and replace changed the word 'threshed' to 'thReshad' and I didn't notice.
Non-literary story here: Many years ago, I was a project manager. I took over a project where the names of the computer files got updated each month, using the first three letters of the month. I thought I'd be clever and do a search-and-replace instead of manually changing them. I invented a new month named Maruary.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #28
Sean Renaud
The West Coast Pop

Well I intentionally tried doing that several times during world building and found. . .dear god is it a headache.

"Be bold with your intentions, and delicious with your sins."
~Unknown

Old 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

I take people I know and mix their first and last names together sometimes.

At my comic store my best customer's first and last name could both be first names and those two names were used for the two main male characters in my Circle novels.

Oh, one thing I'd be interested in knowing how others feel...

I cannot use my daughter's names in any of my stories.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #30
IrisGardens
Virgin

I look up name meanings. Do I have a need for a name to be from a certain locale? To keep names straight, I will give a character a name that has a meaning to a trait that the character has. A Scot girl named Rowan that means red hair, for instance.

Anais Nin

Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #31
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisGardens View Post
I look up name meanings. Do I have a need for a name to be from a certain locale? To keep names straight, I will give a character a name that has a meaning to a trait that the character has. A Scot girl named Rowan that means red hair, for instance.
That assumes that the parents knew the meaning of the name, or that you are using the same baby name book as they did.

I used the female Welsh name Angharad in one of my stories. My baby name book said it meant 'very loving' which was appropriate for the story, but someone else pointed out others meaning as 'much loved' which suggests she had multiple lovers. When I checked more baby name books the meaning of Angharad could be very different.

The same name can mean different things in other countries. For example Randy can be a US name. In the UK it is never used as a person's name because it means 'always wanting sex' e.g. 'He's a randy devil'.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

“The inimitable stories of Tong-King never have any real ending, and this one, being in his most elevated style, has even less end than most of them. But the whole narrative is permeated with the odour of joss-sticks and honourable high-mindedness, and the two characters are both of noble birth.”
― Ernest Bramah, Wallet of Kai Lung

Old 10-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #32
RogueAlan
Virgin

i have lists of names available to me, and will count down the list and say month for first and day for last for example.

or if i'm using a 'known' person but don't want issues, there are usually similar sounding names ... Steel might become iron, wanda might become wendy.

my cautionary note if you're searing 'name lists' online would be to avoid those names at the top of the list, which are often the 'most common' and while by definition they would be common, they can lend an air of... creation to a piece you otherwise want to feel real.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #33
adamzapple
Really Really Experienced

Movie cast and production crews list; christian names from one, skip a few lines down, pick out a surname from another, mix 'n' match... but, take care, you don't want Robert Newman and Paul Redford, Stephen Jackson and Peter Spielberg..

Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #34
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Baby-name and phone books are good. So are newspaper obituary listings, and googling for national or ethnic names. The F1 F2 M1 M2 approach is pretty incomprehensible to me. I name each player before I write them so I have them firmly in mind. Only rarely do I change names, and only if they seem clumsy or misleading. Each character inhabits their name.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #35
igottapussy
Experienced

names

I use a variety of methods to choose names. Most of the time they just come to me, but I don't always like the first ones that pop into my head. For the most part, unless there is some ethnicity to consider, I keep them fairly mainstream. I don't want readers focusing on a weird name rather than the content.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #36
quicky1
Really Experienced

Last edited by quicky1 : 08-09-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #37
delicious_man
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlola View Post
The best way to come up with a character name is to finish writing the story. It'll come to you.
Sometimes a character will appear to you with a name already attached to them, almost as if they have arrived pre-packaged. Other times you have to assemble the character first - nail down their behaviours, their aspirations, their little quirks etc - and the name that fits them will eventually come to you.

I think nightlola is right - when your character is fully fleshed their name will become apparent.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #38
bbcbarry9033
Experienced

Adjectives

I like to use adjectives for names. So, a driver may be named Carl; a fisherman named Rod; a writer named Reed… and so on.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #39
CoffeeWithMonkeys
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggbashan View Post
I use Word's 'find and replace' but that isn't wholly reliable. In one story I had the Indian name Reshed but I changed it to Reshad. Find and replace changed the word 'threshed' to 'thReshad' and I didn't notice.
Once I was using Mindi for a female main character and decided to change it to Mara, used the find and replace on google drive and it changed remind to reMara, hehehe

I have trouble with my memory these days so I use the same names in my stories. And of course since Eddie is my muse anyway it makes sense to always use Eddie as my main male character.

Wanna see my stuff I've written? Click below.
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #40
Adder4321
Literotica Guru

I just run through names until I find one that suits the character.

For instance, Peter tends to suit honourable, masculine characters. David is a "harder" name, so I use it for characters that are fun, but rough around the edges.

Same for females, I use names like Kate, Kylie and others for "girl next door" types, because they are so ordinary. Joanne suits mature, tomboy types.

Honestly I'm not sure how to explain it, but I just find names that suit the character.

As for those curious about my own sexuality, I'm a straight switch, who is about 75% sub and 25% dom. I enjoy taking charge every now and then but if I had to decide, I would choose to be a sub every time. My favourite fetish is without a doubt having a woman sit on my face and I have a myriad of masochistic tendencies.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #41
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Baby-name lists work for me. You can even indicate the country you are looking for. You only need to make sure the name was already commonly used 20/40/... years ago.

When I use both first and last names, I also google their combination; I try to avoid the use of existing combinations, although that won't be an issue with very common surnames.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #42
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder4321 View Post
I just run through names until I find one that suits the character.

For instance, Peter tends to suit honourable, masculine characters. David is a "harder" name, so I use it for characters that are fun, but rough around the edges.

Same for females, I use names like Kate, Kylie and others for "girl next door" types, because they are so ordinary. Joanne suits mature, tomboy types.

Honestly I'm not sure how to explain it, but I just find names that suit the character.
I understand what you are saying but it is your perception of those names, not mine.

What we think of a name depends on people we have met with those names and cultural references.

Peter to me means Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit.

David? Apart from relations (no comments!) I had a friend called David who was a great person but slow thinking and acting. For example his wife sent him to make mugs of instant coffee while I and my friend Peter (see what I mean!) changed the brake shoes on their car. We had changed the brake shoes on all four wheels before David had finished making the coffee.

We, and his wife, knew that David would take that long. She knew that the timing would be just right. She appreciated our competence and understood exactly how long David would take to do a simple task. She loved him but ran him. He worshipped her. We liked him. He would do anything for anyone - if you were prepared to wait, and wait, and wait... He was employed as an accountant and earned a reasonable living because his employers valued and used his insistence on getting everything perfectly right.

So just the names Peter and David have mixed associations for me.

As for Kylie? The only one I know is Kylie Minogue and the girls named after her. I would never use Kylie in one of my stories. She'd be far too young.

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

“The inimitable stories of Tong-King never have any real ending, and this one, being in his most elevated style, has even less end than most of them. But the whole narrative is permeated with the odour of joss-sticks and honourable high-mindedness, and the two characters are both of noble birth.”
― Ernest Bramah, Wallet of Kai Lung