Metalheads & Writers

Feel Sorry was a decline, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Their new vocalist sounds so much like their old one in tone, but he isn't anywhere near as dynamic as Marc Grewe was. He hit so many screams in weird places. It was awesome.

I can't write to music. Never could. It got in the way. When I do write anymore (which is seldom, I don't think I have finished a story in a decade), it's usually with a cam girl dancing in the background.

I actually love the Feel Sorry for the Fanatic album, but Odium is by far my favorite album by Morgoth😎UNDER THE SURFACE🌹Fuckin' brilliant🔥
https://youtu.be/jj4wcIP4Hy4

Last edited:
Without punk we wouldn't have Iron Maiden or Motörhead. Besides, The Exploited have gone pretty metal in the 90s. "Beat The Bastards" is practically thrash metal :)

Do you know German punk bands like Slim, Toxoplasma, Daily Terror or Die Toten Hosen? I mean, fucking everybody knows the Ramones and The Clash and Sex Pistols...

Kudos to Motörhead 🌹

Here's a question: Do you think your preferred music has an effect on your writing?

For me, music has been one of the driving factors in learning English beyond the school minimum. I'm German and I'm way too curious for my own good. I wanted to know, to understand what The Sisters of Mercy meant when they sung "Under The Gun". I applied myself and got really good really fast. Never had anything worse than an A- in school English. It was one of my major subjects for my Abitur and the eight semesters of English Lit I did didn't go to waste either :)

Aside from that though, I think my reading habits have had a bigger impact than my listening habits, at least going by the ease with which I can do fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Reality-based stories like "More than Video Games" or "Dramatic License" were much, much harder to nail down.

Bands with a lot of narrative in their lyrics I like a lot (King Diamond and Cradle Of Filth spring to mind), but I can appreciate 90 second grind massacres with little more than "Kill, kill, die, die" as their sole lyrics too.

To answer the question - yes, the music I listen to affects the things I write to various degrees. However, Doom Metal is by far the biggest influence when I'm trying to create an atmosphere in some of my darker chapters🌹

More from the crypt of headmetal: Samael, Nevermore, Strapping Young Lad,Unleashed,Dissection, Seance, Archenemy, Soil, Carnage,and Cancer
👠👠👠Kant🌹
Oh, the memories!

Last edited:
I actually love the Feel Sorry for the Fanatic album, but Odium is by far my favorite album by Morgoth😎UNDER THE SURFACE🌹Fuckin' brilliant🔥
https://youtu.be/jj4wcIP4Hy4

I went a few years without hearing Odium. When I bought my iPod and that song came up I was surprised by how many of the words I remembered after not hearing it for so long.

But I love everything that I heard by them before that too. I was even planning on wearing my Cursed shirt tomorrow :D

Kudos to Motörhead 🌹

I've met Ronnie James Dio after a concert in the late 90s, when he played for me, my lady love and about 50 others in a club which could comfortably house about a thousand. We talked for an hour or so and he was one of the nicest strangers I've ever met.

Never met Lemmy, but his death had hit me so much harder than Dio's. He's always been my hero and inspiration for my bass playing, along with Tony Petitt (Fields of the Nephilim). Strange.

Yeah, Motörhead never receive the amount of kudos they deserved. The ultimate underdog. Fuck, they are STILL reduced to "Ace of Spades", despite delivering good to great albums pretty much up to Lem's illness. "Ace..." was done in 1980 and barely anyone seemed to realize they released album after album for 36 more years.

I've met Ronnie James Dio after a concert in the late 90s, when he played for me, my lady love and about 50 others in a club which could comfortably house about a thousand. We talked for an hour or so and he was one of the nicest strangers I've ever met.

Never met Lemmy, but his death had hit me so much harder than Dio's. He's always been my hero and inspiration for my bass playing, along with Tony Petitt (Fields of the Nephilim). Strange.

Yeah, Motörhead never receive the amount of kudos they deserved. The ultimate underdog. Fuck, they are STILL reduced to "Ace of Spades", despite delivering good to great albums pretty much up to Lem's illness. "Ace..." was done in 1980 and barely anyone seemed to realize they released album after album for 36 more years.

Ronnie's death hit me hard as did Jeff's death. I love Slayer. The deaths that hurt the most were Chuck from Death and Frank Watkins after he left Obituary🌹

To answer the question - yes, the music I listen to affects the things I write to various degrees. However, Doom Metal is by far the biggest influence when I'm trying to create an atmosphere in some of my darker chapters🌹

Did you say Doom?

While Heaven Wept, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Procession, Wheel, Pallbearer, Doomsword, the almighty Winter, Candlemass, Draconian, The Foreshadowing and of course Black Fucking Sabbath. Did I forget something? Type O Negative maybe?

Seriously, we should hang out sometime. Can I FedEx you? :)

I love the song Ace of Spades, but Orgasmatron is my all time favorite song by Motörhead. I really love Sepultura's cover😎

Did you say Doom?

While Heaven Wept, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Procession, Wheel, Pallbearer, Doomsword, the almighty Winter, Candlemass, Draconian, The Foreshadowing and of course Black Fucking Sabbath. Did I forget something? Type O Negative maybe?

Seriously, we should hang out sometime. Can I FedEx you? :)

Tiamat, Therion, Entwine,Bessech, My Dying Bride, Amorphis, and Anathema might have been left out. All great bands😎

Tiamat, Therion, Entwine,Bessech, My Dying Bride, Amorphis, and Anathema might have been left out. All great bands😎

Totally agree, but most are not strictly doom. I know, metalheads and their labels :) If we keep this civil and broad-strokey, let me throw in Order of Israfel and OMG, I forgot Count Raven. And Cathedral. I'm going senile :)

Orgasmatron is killer, in either version. Sepultura, eh? Not a big fan of the Derrick Greene era though. Yeah, by now he's longer with them than Max was, but their music has taken a dive since Andreas is the main songwriter.

Sigh. Jeff and Chuck left way too early. I would have loved to see a new Control Denied album. And more Death of course.

Last edited:
For me, music has been one of the driving factors in learning English beyond the school minimum. I'm German and I'm way too curious for my own good. I wanted to know, to understand what The Sisters of Mercy meant when they sung "Under The Gun".

I'm a native English speaker and I still haven't figured that out :)

This, in the other direction, has been one of my reasons for working on German this last year. I'm still very limited, but getting to the point where I can sometimes make sense of lyrics without mechanical assistance.

I'm a native English speaker and I still haven't figured that out :)

This, in the other direction, has been one of my reasons for working on German this last year. I'm still very limited, but getting to the point where I can sometimes make sense of lyrics without mechanical assistance.

Das erklärt den hohen Anteil an deutschen Songtiteln in deinen "Alphabet Game"-Beiträgen :)

Edit: In all seriousness though, I've given up on peotry, in either language. Despite cutting my teeth on Marillion and Genesis lyrics, I suck at both the language and the structure :)

Edit 2: I hate touchscreens with a burning passion. Time to invest into a Bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited:
Das erklärt den hohen Anteil an deutschen Songtiteln in deinen "Alphabet Game"-Beiträgen :)

Edit: In all seriousnes though, I've given up on peotry, in either language. Despite cutting my teeth on Marillion and Genesis lyrics, I suck a both the language and the structure :)

Ja, in meiner Sammlung habe ich zumindest zwei Tage von deutsche Musik. Und mein deutsches Vokabular hat viele praktische Worte, wie "Opfer", "Lykanthropie", "geknebelt", "Netzstrümpfe"...

Totally agree, but most are not strictly doom. I know, metalheads and their labels :) If we keep this civil and broad-strokey, let me throw in Order of Israfel and OMG, I forgot Count Raven. And Cathedral. I'm going senile :)

Orgasmatron is killer, in either version. Sepultura, eh? Not a big fan of the Derrick Greene era though. Yeah, by now he's longer with them than Max was, but their music has taken a dive since Andreas is the main songwriter.

Sigh. Jeff and Chuck left way too early. I would have loved to see a new Control Denied album. And more Death of course.

Ever listen to Mathias Lodmalm sing on the Godless Beauty album? It's like a Doom/Death hybrid in my opinion. Masterfully executed, it stands the test of time just as his work on Sundown's -Design 19 album. Most of the bands I mentioned had their doom metal moments, but their music wasn't restricted to just that particular style. Theion is the primary example along with Tiamat. Do you remember Moonspell and Typo Negative? Great stuff😎

Sundown, man, that's a name I haven't heard in some time. I have the CD somewhere.

Recently had both "Wolfheart" and "Irreligious" on rotation. Along with Heavenwood, Moonspell are Portugal's best metal export. Besides, their latest, "Extinct" is just a few months old.

Of course I remember Type O Negative. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is guitar player's first rock song, "Black No. 1" is bassists first metal song. And "October Rust" is one of my fave albums ever. I had so much sex with that record playing in the background. That fucking joke track though. :(

Ja, in meiner Sammlung habe ich zumindest zwei Tage von deutsche Musik. Und mein deutsches Vokabular hat viele praktische Worte, wie "Opfer", "Lykanthropie", "geknebelt", "Netzstrümpfe"...

Sehr gut! Lernst du auch schön brav die Ramnstein-Texte? :)

They are a very interesting mix of subtle humor, bluntness to the point of brutality and some truly strange metaphors. Still struggling to decipher "Reise, Reise", for instance. It's about sex of course, but I'm wondering how Till got there. But then, fuck poetry :)

Sehr gut! Lernst du auch schön brav die Ramnstein-Texte? :)

They are a very interesting mix of subtle humor, bluntness to the point of brutality and some truly strange metaphors. Still struggling to decipher "Reise, Reise", for instance. It's about sex of course, but I'm wondering how Till got there. But then, fuck poetry :)

Ja, Rammstein habe ich schon lange gehört. Sie waren in der australischen Goth-scene beliebt. Sehnsucht versteckt... und Die Ärzte, Einstürzende Neubauten, Umbra et Imago. (Und auch The Bosshoss.) Doch letztes Jahr habe ich ASP entdeckt, und ich bin schon abhängig.

Ja, Rammstein habe ich schon lange gehört. Sie waren in der australischen Goth-scene beliebt. Sehnsucht versteckt... und Die Ärzte, Einstürzende Neubauten, Umbra et Imago. (Und auch The Bosshoss.) Doch letztes Jahr habe ich ASP entdeckt, und ich bin schon abhängig.

Die kenne ich (noch) nicht. Allerdings hab ich nicht so viel deutschsprachigen Gothic gehört. Lass mich dir In Extremo nahelegen.

https://youtu.be/9V3jD3v_vis

Ist zwar mehr Folk als Goth, aber die Jungs rocken gut ab. Vielleicht magst du es ja. Und lass mich wissen, wenn du genug Deutsch hattest für einen Abend. :)

Sundown, man, that's a name I haven't heard in some time. I have the CD somewhere.

Recently had both "Wolfheart" and "Irreligious" on rotation. Along with Heavenwood, Moonspell are Portugal's best metal export. Besides, their latest, "Extinct" is just a few months old.

Of course I remember Type O Negative. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is guitar player's first rock song, "Black No. 1" is bassists first metal song. And "October Rust" is one of my fave albums ever. I had so much sex with that record playing in the background. That fucking joke track though. :(

Yup, you threw me down memory lane when you mentioned Cathedral. I dug around in the old trunk full of tapes and CDs until I found it. It happened to be right beside Paradise Lost😎 Had to pull those out to listen to along with Celestial Season, The Gathering , and Cynic. Took me back quite a few years on all that🌹

Die kenne ich (noch) nicht. Allerdings hab ich nicht so viel deutschsprachigen Gothic gehört. Lass mich dir In Extremo nahelegen.

https://youtu.be/9V3jD3v_vis

Ist zwar mehr Folk als Goth, aber die Jungs rocken gut ab. Vielleicht magst du es ja. Und lass mich wissen, wenn du genug Deutsch hattest für einen Abend. :)

Ja, ASP haben mit dem Sänger von In Extremo "Wer Sonst" aufgenommen, und ich mag ihrer Musik.

Ich mag ASP dafür, dass sie viele verschiedene Stile erforschen: meistens Goth und Metall, aber auch Folk-Metall, pur Folk (hörprobe nicht auf YouTube verfügbar), Drone, und sogar Chanson und Tango.

Asp (ihrer Sänger) macht auch Bilderbücher und ein süßer Comic wie ein Gothik "Calvin and Hobbes".

New to Lit, and very glad that there's a metal thread.

Haven't listened to a whole lot of metal in a while (A damn crime, I know). I never listened to heavily electronic music as a kid, so for the past year I've been frantically catching up and digging into my own niches.

System of a Down, Slipknot, Rammstein, Korn and Marilyn Manson are the artists I tend to always gravitate back to regardless of which genre of music I'm currently obsessed with. They might not be very obscure or whatever, but they were my childhood. But I've seen some cool bands besides. Not as many as you, it seems. (Perhaps that should be fixed, ya?)

Mushroomhead, Sepultura, Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000 are all really enjoyable bands that spring to mind. Some artists that I'd consider novelties that I've still liked are Powerwolf, Alestorm, Okilly Dokilly and Nekrogoblikon.

New to Lit, and very glad that there's a metal thread.

Haven't listened to a whole lot of metal in a while (A damn crime, I know). I never listened to heavily electronic music as a kid, so for the past year I've been frantically catching up and digging into my own niches.

System of a Down, Slipknot, Rammstein, Korn and Marilyn Manson are the artists I tend to always gravitate back to regardless of which genre of music I'm currently obsessed with. They might not be very obscure or whatever, but they were my childhood. But I've seen some cool bands besides. Not as many as you, it seems. (Perhaps that should be fixed, ya?)

Mushroomhead, Sepultura, Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000 are all really enjoyable bands that spring to mind. Some artists that I'd consider novelties that I've still liked are Powerwolf, Alestorm, Okilly Dokilly and Nekrogoblikon.

Here's a few to checkout:
Psyclon nine - Behind a serrated grin
Thyrfing - The voyager
Collide - White Rabbit (cover) mostly techno driven

When I'm not crushing my head to death metal, I gravitate back to old/classic rock (Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin) and some KMFDM or White/Rob Zombie myself. 👠👠👠Kant🌹
By the way, welcome to my thread😎

Back