why can't Literotica send out notification emails

When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.

When one of your favorite authors publish? I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum. I was not sure where to post.

This is a question to go directly to the site editor, Laurel, via the Private Message (PM) system at the upper right of this page.

Hang on a moment. Lit gives a platform for amateur writers to post free erotica. How and why should the site spend time and money tracing and following every reader's erotic proclivities?

Keep a list of your favorite writers and follow the new lists and search their sites here.

Hang on a moment. Lit gives a platform for amateur writers to post free erotica. How and why should the site spend time and money tracing and following every reader's erotic proclivities?

Keep a list of your favorite writers and follow the new lists and search their sites here.

Because todays people want it now, they don't want to look it up, search for it, or even think about it...they want everyone else to notify them.

Bookmark your favorite authors and click on the bookmark once in awhile. Any new stories published by them will have a "New" tag, black on yellow, behind them.

This is a question to go directly to the site editor, Laurel, via the Private Message (PM) system at the upper right of this page.

I think the location of the PM system depends on what skin you're using. I use aria chocolate-liquid and PM is under a quick links drop down list in a row of drop downs and about in the middle of the top of the page.

Because todays people want it now, they don't want to look it up, search for it, or even think about it...they want everyone else to notify them.

Bookmark your favorite authors and click on the bookmark once in awhile. Any new stories published by them will have a "New" tag, black on yellow, behind them.

Isn't it more the author's job to keep a file or have a facebook page of fans that can be mailed?

I'll agree with Zeb on this. I don't ambulance chase readers. I don't like receiving such push promotion myself. If they want to read me again, they know where to find my list.

I think the short answer is:
"The machine is not (/can not be) set up for such a function."

More along the lines of the machine has better things to do than hold a readers hand. Somethings you just have to do for yourself.

Isn't it more the author's job to keep a file or have a facebook page of fans that can be mailed?

It's no one's job, or everyone's depending on how you look at it. The author could keep a list and alert those who want to know about new stories. I did this for a while. Or the reader could keep track of the authors, if it's important to them.

But it's true, people like to be notified. Notice how every app you install asks about that? People prefer to have the link, etc., given to them. They're probably more likely to follow it than if they have to search it out. Right now I'd say Lit is probably just behind the times on that, but I imagine it's not hurting them.

I'm from an earlier, more independent, less babysat generation. ;)

Here's the problem:

Readers would be BOMBARDED with notifications from different authors.

I'm from an earlier, more independent, less babysat generation. ;)

It's not about babysitting.

I worked for a newsletter publishing company as they added online content to the existing print content. We publish on a regular schedule, weekly or biweekly depending on the issue, and some stuff is sent out daily. I still create these files to send to various subscribers. They want it, and they are the customers, so they get it, although we perhaps had the advantage of building that in from the beginning. (Of course, they were also paying customers, which is different from Lit.)

I don't think it's unusual for people to want this feature. It's a pretty common thing. Fanfiction.net does it, for one, and I imagine other writing sites do as well. If Lit doesn't want to, or can't yet, no problem.

It's like various features in cars -- they became standard. This is fairly standard and people inquiring about it are not wanting to be babysat, they're just asking about a common feature.

Oh, I think it is largely about babysitting. Technology is such now that users assume there's a technical fix for everything to give them the exact tailored service they want to have--without weighing the expense and effort of that against how much effort they would have to expend themselves to do it for themselves--or how much they really need to have it at all. Like not taking responsibility for themselves that we see much of around here, they expect someone else to tailor everything to their perceived "need" (which often isn't a need at all).

It's not about babysitting.

I worked for a newsletter publishing company as they added online content to the existing print content. We publish on a regular schedule, weekly or biweekly depending on the issue, and some stuff is sent out daily. I still create these files to send to various subscribers. They want it, and they are the customers, so they get it, although we perhaps had the advantage of building that in from the beginning. (Of course, they were also paying customers, which is different from Lit.)

I don't think it's unusual for people to want this feature. It's a pretty common thing. Fanfiction.net does it, for one, and I imagine other writing sites do as well. If Lit doesn't want to, or can't yet, no problem.

It's like various features in cars -- they became standard. This is fairly standard and people inquiring about it are not wanting to be babysat, they're just asking about a common feature.

With the size and traffic across this site, trying something like notifications would bog the system down to no end. It would take servers dedicated to just that, not to mention the bandwidth it would take up.

A smaller site set up that way from the start maybe but here and now... Not much hope of it happening.

Couldn't the OP PM the author with an email addy and request notifications?

A thought

If there was a "New stories" thread, an Author could easily put up a notice to say "Hey - I've got another up" or similar. Then the readers interested merely need to have a look for themselves.

Ah well, perhaps not, then.

A thought

If there was a "New stories" thread, an Author could easily put up a notice to say "Hey - I've got another up" or similar. Then the readers interested merely need to have a look for themselves.

Ah well, perhaps not, then.

Two problems with that. Fist off, the reader would have to check the thread. Why not just check the authors list. Second of all, the thread would get huge in a hurry. The favorite authors list would be easier to scan.

Anyway, they seem to want to be notified in person.

Notifications are coming.

There are a couple of concerns with notifications for a site the size of Literotica, especially one with adult content.

With on-site notifications, the concerns are just resources. We can overcome that with more (or faster) servers. That costs money, but in general, with hardware getting cheaper and faster, it is probably something that we can handle. We won't know for sure how the system will work until we start testing with real users.

Email notifications are a little more complicated because some large ISPs automatically block emails from any site (especially those with adult content) that is sending a large volume of daily emails to their users. We have been pretty successful at working with these ISPs to remove bans over the years, but there are cases where ISPs are not too friendly to websites with adult content.

We have been doing closed testing of on-site notifications (along with a number of other new features that will be part of the Literotica redesign) and we are hoping to open that system up to BETA testing before too long.

All feedback, suggestions, and concerns are appreciated. :D

There are a couple of concerns with notifications for a site the size of Literotica, especially one with adult content.

With on-site notifications, the concerns are just resources. We can overcome that with more (or faster) servers. That costs money, but in general, with hardware getting cheaper and faster, it is probably something that we can handle. We won't know for sure how the system will work until we start testing with real users.

Email notifications are a little more complicated because some large ISPs automatically block emails from any site (especially those with adult content) that is sending a large volume of daily emails to their users. We have been pretty successful at working with these ISPs to remove bans over the years, but there are cases where ISPs are not too friendly to websites with adult content.

We have been doing closed testing of on-site notifications (along with a number of other new features that will be part of the Literotica redesign) and we are hoping to open that system up to BETA testing before too long.

Just pointing out that a downside for authors-as obviously this is something readers want-is that if they start getting e-mails every time an author they like has a story out then they are most likely not going to favorite authors as much.

Also as far as lit itself goes, if these people are fed links to stories they will read them and possibly not come here and look around as much.

Personally....I think this is an example of how damn lazy and impatient people are and that laziness doesn't always need to be catered to and enabled. They have searched for stories for years, they can keep doing it.

Thank you, Manu.

It WOULD be a handy feature for Literotica to have. In the meantime, maybe you could ask if your favorite author(s) has a mailing list to which you can subscribe. That's how I notify my listeners of my latest activities. :)

Huh, I was just about to post about not holding your breath since the stories are free (meaning if we were paying they'd have been all over it) when I saw Manu's post.

That makes sense to do it if it's reasonably cost effective since it enhances the freebie experience, drawing/keeping more folk here where they will, hopefully, spend some money and keep the advertisers happy, which is usually where the real money is.

Back