The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

Once again we are finishing very early. Kewl!

I really enjoyed the book. I thought the two main characters were very realistic though the people around them really weren't.

Someone in my Fetlife book club wants to read a book on Lucy. She was not my fav by a long shot. She needs to relax and stop being such a bitch, IMO. OTOH, I would like to hear who she gets partnered with as that sounds like it would be a good story.

I would like to see the ass hat dentist dom's wife have a good relationship too as Graceanne said!

Mostly I liked the internal conflict although I thought it resolved a bit too easily. I liked the way they fit together too.

I'm not into being bound so that chaffed a bit.

Also, the cover photo bothered. I saw both of them as older looking and less boobage but overall it's one of the BDSM books I've read that I've enjoyed the most.

Closer and Closer by Jenna Barton

Did you like the book overall or not?

Yes.

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

I think it was reasonably realistic and positive. Not quite the right fit for 'my' way, but we're also not new to BDSM.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

They were rather mild, but I don't think all sex scenes have to be relentlessly detailed.

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

I enjoyed the characters and the scenery details. I have to admit that all of these very well off characters (in so many BDSM books) gets a little old after a while.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

Probably. She writes well.

What did you like best about this selection?

None of the main characters were especially damaged. They were reasonably average, and that was appealing.

What did you like the least?

The distraction of the sister and mother seemed artificial. It was the only time I could feel the author thinking "now how do I mess this up so they have to turn to each other?"

How would you have changed the story?

Like everyone else, I would have liked to know about a resolution for Graceanne, and learn a little more of Lucy's backstory.

I'm so glad to have company on this thread! Yay! Thanks for joining in!

It might be fun to have a rating system like goodreads has for these? What do you think?

Would you like to rate the books too? Say on a scale of 1-5?

We are finishing the books well ahead of the end of the month so far. End of the month is when we usually discuss.

Our next selection is August 2015

Beauty's Kingdom (The Sleeping Beauty Quartet #4) by A.N. Roquelaure.

Have you read any of the other Beauty books? If so how did you like them or not like them?

Who will and will not be reading along?

I really don't want to lose anyone. The hope is that this book from a very well liked series will bring more people in.

FF

:rose:

I'm so glad to have company on this thread! Yay! Thanks for joining in!

It might be fun to have a rating system like goodreads has for these? What do you think?

Would you like to rate the books too? Say on a scale of 1-5?

Sounds good to me! Maybe we could rate it :rose:'s. That way, when I'm indexing I can put how many :rose:'s it was voted next to the link to of each persons review.

We are finishing the books well ahead of the end of the month so far. End of the month is when we usually discuss.

Our next selection is August 2015

Beauty's Kingdom (The Sleeping Beauty Quartet #4) by A.N. Roquelaure.

Have you read any of the other Beauty books? If so how did you like them or not like them?

Who will and will not be reading along?

I really don't want to lose anyone. The hope is that this book from a very well liked series will bring more people in.

FF

Suffice it to say that if I can avoid reading any of the beauty books I will.

No that's fine if you don't want to rate them.

Also when I read the book I try to do that too before I forget!

Do you mind if I don't rate them? It doesn't put me off that others do at all, I just prefer not to. I might join in with time, if that's ok?

I'll join in. For me its the group as much ( more? ) than the books and I'm open to on what to read :)

I, er, don't have a great memory, :eek: which is why I read the book right before using Graceanne's template to answer questions. If you stick a note on the thread when to discuss I can read the book just before that. :eek::eek:

Sounds good on the roses.

I wanted to give the book a try but I failed to read very far in.

Sounds good to me! Maybe we could rate it :rose:'s. That way, when I'm indexing I can put how many :rose:'s it was voted next to the link to of each persons review.

Suffice it to say that if I can avoid reading any of the beauty books I will.

Sounds good on the roses.

I wanted to give the book a try but I failed to read very far in.

I almost didn't make it, at first. It seemed like it took forever for it to get going. lol I muscled through and it was worth it at the end. :rose::rose::rose:

I'm going to sit out the Beauty book. I'm afraid Ms. Rice turned me off several trees ago.

Finally getting a chance to sit down and discuss...

Closer and Closer by Jenna Barton

Did you like the book overall or not?

Oh my, yes! I have read it twice in the last month.

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

I still feel like I cannot comment on this too much, but I do feel like it was much more positive than last month's book.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

Yes. I did. They weren't overtly explicit, but I find that sometimes, the sexiest scenes are less explicit, leaving my imagination to work.

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

I really, really enjoyed this book. I felt like the character development was good and the plot development was, as well.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

Yes. I would. The author's Amazon page suggested that there would be more in this series, and I will be watching out for them. I would like to see a book from Lucy or Claire's POVs.

What did you like best about this selection?

I enjoyed Erin's struggle with coming to the realization that she was submissive because I feel like it has been my own struggle with my sexuality. It was personal for me.

What did you like the least?

I didn't like the sister and mother, and I also didn't like what happened with Claire. That was heartbreaking.

How would you have changed the story?

I'm not sure I would change much about this story. I felt it was one of the better erotic/romantic novels I've read.

Is any one actively WANTING to read the Beauty book?

If not does FF mind if someone suggests an alternative?

Of not does any one HAVE an alternative? :)

I'm very easy going about the whole thing :)

I'm going to force myself to read it and hope that the sex in it is more consensual than in the previous Beauty books.

Wriggle less;)

ATM I'm into seriously scratchy rope, its stuff we don't use any more for other use and it keeps one really still :eek:

I prefer softer rope, but I really like being bound. It makes my senses go on high alert, quickly, making orgasms that much better, at least for me.

Well, surprise surprise...the books are new to me... Seriously sometimes you must all wonder how I got here :D. So I'm open. As for consensual.....well....I'm open to a bit of non consent. :eek:

The first 3 Beauty books are more than just reluctant sex, IMO. In various instances, the sex is just rape. I read them 5 years ago, and I just forced myself to reread the first book. And while I didn't have the visceral reaction that I had previously, much of the sex still bothered me.

Well, surprise surprise...the books are new to me... Seriously sometimes you must all wonder how I got here :D. So I'm open. As for consensual.....well....I'm open to a bit of non consent. :eek:

I am, too, but honestly I still wasn't so into these books. It wasn't the non-consent for me. Truthfully, I found the sex scenes to be rather redundant and the plot line was weird. That said, I've only read one so if others are interested I'll try another.

I'm easy going. Whatever y'all want to do is fine.

I am curious to hear from anyone that makes it through and enjoyed it as well!

FF

I'm sorry - I had to replace my tires this month and that means I don't have book money so I won't be able to participate in this months discussion.

Pardon me for jumping in as latecomer to this thread, but I want to comment on the 'Beauty' books.

I read the trilogy years ago. I had read and enjoyed a few of Roquelaure's/Rice's vampire novels beforehand, so I was familiar with her style. The impression I retain is that the 'Beauty' books became tedious the further I read. Some of the situations I found preposterous and cruel, with the characters having no plausible way out. Granted, the books are clearly intended to be a BDSM fantasy/fairytale, but like legend, I believe the best fantasies are grounded in a kernel of realism, and as a reader I cannot enter a story without it.

Stepping off the soap box...I think Rice is a skilled writer who paints vivid pictures with words. Her 'Beauty' novels just don't work for me.

Given the 70 or so pages I've read, I'm pretty sure that it's more consensual this time.

I'm going to force myself to read it and hope that the sex in it is more consensual than in the previous Beauty books.

I'm not into being tied up but I can appreciate both the rough and the softer sensations of different ropes.

I prefer softer rope, but I really like being bound. It makes my senses go on high alert, quickly, making orgasms that much better, at least for me.

Non consensual / reluctant / shameful consent is a big thing with me and it's in some of the things I've written. I hope you enjoy this book.

I agree. When Beauty who is underage is awakened by sex that it not okay. One of the big turn offs for me.

The first 3 Beauty books are more than just reluctant sex, IMO. In various instances, the sex is just rape. I read them 5 years ago, and I just forced myself to reread the first book. And while I didn't have the visceral reaction that I had previously, much of the sex still bothered me.

Agreed.

I am, too, but honestly I still wasn't so into these books. It wasn't the non-consent for me. Truthfully, I found the sex scenes to be rather redundant and the plot line was weird. That said, I've only read one so if others are interested I'll try another.

So sorry. I've been having a lot of expenses too but the book is at the library around here.

I'm sorry - I had to replace my tires this month and that means I don't have book money so I won't be able to participate in this months discussion.

Absolutely.

More important to everybody that you should be safe on the road. :rose:

Glad to have you join us. Welcome!

I apologize to everyone for being absent lately. Life has been a shit avalanche on several fronts lately but it's getting better. Whew!

I love some or Rice's works too but not these ones. I'm right there with you. Which were your fav Rice books?

Pardon me for jumping in as latecomer to this thread, but I want to comment on the 'Beauty' books.

I read the trilogy years ago. I had read and enjoyed a few of Roquelaure's/Rice's vampire novels beforehand, so I was familiar with her style. The impression I retain is that the 'Beauty' books became tedious the further I read. Some of the situations I found preposterous and cruel, with the characters having no plausible way out. Granted, the books are clearly intended to be a BDSM fantasy/fairytale, but like legend, I believe the best fantasies are grounded in a kernel of realism, and as a reader I cannot enter a story without it.

Stepping off the soap box...I think Rice is a skilled writer who paints vivid pictures with words. Her 'Beauty' novels just don't work for me.

Officially the discussion for July's book which has already started should start on Friday so if you have read Closer and Closer by Jenna Barton and you hadn't before or you have more thoughts share!

As a book hoarder, I still had the first book stuck on my shelf. I reread about 70 pages last week. I'm convinced, at this point, that Rice was going for "outrageous" regardless of plot or reader sensibilities. <sigh>

I have truly enjoyed a few of her books. I liked Lestat very much. I enjoyed the first of the Witching Hour novels (don't want to be bothered to check the title right now) especially for her descriptions of New Orleans. I really love Cry to Heaven, probably most of all.

But so much of the rest of her books are, well, dreck to me. I'm honestly baffled how an author can be so "all over the place" in writing from one book to the next, and back again. I've never wanted to "dinner party" but also yell at an author as much as I have with Rice. Gah!

Back