Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Story Feedback

Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Save our sphincters!!

When I read a GM or Anal story that tries to add eroticism by saying, 'he slid past his/her sphincter' I giggle.

For a start, we all have two anal sphincters, so which one did you mean? The external or the internal one?

We all have dozens of 'sphincters', about 50 in most humans, so if you write, 'I slid past your sphincter', I wonder if you poked me in the eye.

Please, can we drop this word from erotic writing because it is, at least for me, a complete turn-off.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
PennLady
Literotica Guru

I think most of us tend to equate sphincter with the anal sphincter. I had no idea there were more, but then I'm no bio or med student. I find the word itself kind of funny and clinical, but it never stuck me as possibly wrong. Also, if you can't tell by context which sphincter the author is talking about, then there's a bigger problem.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Exactly. My other half laughs at the use of 'sphincter' for anal sex: he is a medico.
Apparently, there are two sphincters in the rectum - the external and the internal.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

So, get technical. "He poked his willie into her heinie" should suffice, right?

Jenny Be Fair (incest-humor) - "This story totally sucks, didn't even get my dick hard. Sorry I spent the time reading this garbage." -Anonymous
What Is Cheating? (essay) - "Rumblin', stumblin', bumblin' BARF! I don't think an editor would help this mess. Was there a point? There certainly didn't seem to be a storyline." -Anonymous
Right Under His Eyes (satire) - "YOU ARE A SICK FUCK. WHY WOULD YOU WRITE THIS HORRIBLY VILE STORY. THIS IS HUMANITY AT ITS WORST. I ONLY SKIMMED TO SEE WHAT CRAP IT WAS. YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED AWAY FROM ANYONE YOU COULD HURT FOR REAL. MINUS 1 BILLION ISN'T ENOUGH. DON'T WRITE ANYMORE." -Anonymous

NEW: One Blade of Grass (snide EARTH DAY contest entry) - "What a lovely celebration of skankdom. Kudos." -Anonymous

Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

I think someone doesn't understand the purpose of eroticism and is being (pun intended) too anal retentive.

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
bps
Literotica Guru

it isn't a sexy word. it's not sexy to say or hear or read. like someone said above, too clinical/anatomical. of course I'm pretty particular -- I don't like the word asshole either; too crude by association as an epithet, unless a girl is using it as part of a directive ("Taste my _______". I can live with that, though I'd much rather hear "anus" or even "butthole", which is somehow more playful and teasing.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
lovecraft68
Not one of the cool kids

I agree with the above post any story that mentions sphincter no matter what the gender is I am going to click off of.

I think it should be added to that "words you should never use" thread.

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

The Best 3 minutes of news I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdmtJCEWPA

Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Arabsemen
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfin_odalisque View Post
When I read a GM or Anal story that tries to add eroticism by saying, 'he slid past his/her sphincter' I giggle.

For a start, we all have two anal sphincters, so which one did you mean? The external or the internal one?

We all have dozens of 'sphincters', about 50 in most humans, so if you write, 'I slid past your sphincter', I wonder if you poked me in the eye.

Please, can we drop this word from erotic writing because it is, at least for me, a complete turn-off.
Ah, now I know why I have never been called a sphincter although I have been called an asshole many times.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

I rarely use the word because I have trouble spelling it (or even spelling it well enough to quickly find it in the dictionary). I don't avoid it for any other reason, though.

"although I may come across here as somewhat abrasive at times I respect people's efforts and take feelings into consideration." -- Lovecraft68

Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
joelafayette
Really Experienced

I disagree. Most authors probably don't need a biology lesson and aware of the duality you mention. But when a giant cock is sliding in there, it sort of does feel like just one, and it kind of makes sense to just mention it as if it was one. And we know they don't mean one of the many other sphincters out there.
The idea of this tight muscle as sort of the gatekeeper to the act of anal sex is kind of cool I think, and the moment at which it is first breached is worth mentioning and is kind of hot.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelafayette View Post
I disagree. Most authors probably don't need a biology lesson and aware of the duality you mention. But when a giant cock is sliding in there, it sort of does feel like just one, and it kind of makes sense to just mention it as if it was one. And we know they don't mean one of the many other sphincters out there.
The idea of this tight muscle as sort of the gatekeeper to the act of anal sex is kind of cool I think, and the moment at which it is first breached is worth mentioning and is kind of hot.
There are two sphincters in the rectum, both several centimetres long. You don't breach it/them. Since they are valves to keep things in, the act of penetration is far more complicated than most writers acknowledge.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

And apparently the art of reading erotica can be far more anal retentive than it needs to be to reach its objective.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Laurel
Kitty Mama

"Sphincter? I don't even know her!"

Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Laurel
Kitty Mama

I deeply apologize for that.

But in all honesty, "sphincter" and "rectum" are for me among the least sexy words in an erotic story. I think even "orifice" is better. "Rosebud" is cheesy but at least sounds pretty.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

As I noted, I shy away from using words that I always have to go to the dictionary to spell. For this one, I don't have to go any farther than that.

HOWEVER, for me, the introduction of the clinical in what we should/shouldn't write is an eroticism killer right there.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #16
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
As I noted, I shy away from using words that I always have to go to the dictionary to spell. For this one, I don't have to go any farther than that.

HOWEVER, for me, the introduction of the clinical in what we should/shouldn't write is an eroticism killer right there.
Quelle surprise.

No, the words penis, vagina etc. are rarely used in erotica, unless for a certain effect: too clinical. Even female writers seem to prefer 'pussy'. I accept that 'box' or 'snatch' appear sometimes but they do nothing for me.

My original point you seem to have completely misunderstood. As Laurel said, the clinically anatomical does nothing for me. I can buy 'rectum', 'ass' or even 'tiny crinkled rosebud' but if you want to accept clinical then why can't I use 'inter-crural foramen' for 'pussy'. As a female writer I find 'cunt' a tad misogynistic.

Surely you have to find the right audience for your vocabulary.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

You certainly can use "inter-cural whatever" in your stories--especially since you don't post stories here--haven't for, what, eight years now? (although you claim you're entering the Valentine's Day contest, but you've made empty claims about that before--we'll see).

My point is that I find use of such unfamiliar, distracting, stilted-phrase clinical terms (and being concerned enough about the thread to post a thread on it) to be erotic mood killers, so I won't be reading your stories.

But you can put whatever you want in the stories you don't write, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
JKendallDane
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I deeply apologize for that.

But in all honesty, "sphincter" and "rectum" are for me among the least sexy words in an erotic story. I think even "orifice" is better. "Rosebud" is cheesy but at least sounds pretty.
Since I write exclusively in gay male, it is almost always a chore to decide what terms to use when anal sex is involved. "Rectum" has never ever been a consideration, and I think I only caved in to use "sphincter" once...and then slapped myself silly after seeing it on the screen after the story posted. Made me feel as if the hot lead-in I had written, had suddenly turned into a junior high health class lecture.

(note to self: stop using "rosebud" in your stories or Laurel will never award you a green 'E')

My Literotica stories and series

Come visit me on Facebook

Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendallDane View Post
(note to self: stop using "rosebud" in your stories or Laurel will never award you a green 'E')
She apparently will if you make it sound pretty. I think you also have a chance if it's part of a witty story. I've gotten Green Es for humor here, even though I don't find the readers particularly amenable to humor.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
joelafayette
Really Experienced

I really don't see the point of all this. We know every reader responds differently. It's impossible to please everyone. You can play to average tastes, but it's still hit or miss. I like seeing "sphincter" or "penis" in stories. You can only say "cock" so many times before it becomes annoying, and "ass" is too general and vague when you're trying to describe a good anal plundering. And for those of you that have been on the receiving end of anal, you know every inch of penetration brings with it a different feeling. It's hard to describe without referring to those muscles at the entrance with some form of reference. More annoying to me is when an author just says "he put his dick in my ass." I can read that on a bathroom wall. I need more.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #21
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Well, yes, a quirk of the forum is that there are folks here who think that there are lots of rules to writing erotica and that the rules are mostly based on their own specific preferences. That's amusing, but what is more amusing is that many of those same folks don't actually post erotica here--or haven't in years. (The OP case in point.) Go figure.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
Domesticity
Really Experienced

Any time I read sphincter I automatically see Wayne saying, "a sphincter says what?!". Definitely not a turn on.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #23
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

There's another one now.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #24
Domesticity
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
There's another one now.

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you were offended. Want to talk about the "sphincterhurt" this thread caused you?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #25
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Sure. You talk. I'll go write a story that isn't put together by committee or written to your individual specifications.

Last edited by sr71plt : 01-28-2014 at 11:29 AM.