Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #551
MonaLittle
Elusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelia View Post
We're boarding so I have to hurry but this is IMPORTANT.

Mascara is the lancome hypnose drama I mentioned. For eyeliner, gel applied with an angle brush is my jam (bobbie brown makes a great brush). Haven't been able to replicate with liquid or pencil. All about the brush, tho. I even use it with dark colored eye shadow for a softer line.

Eye shadow, I like bare minerals and MAC, but I am spoiled because I inherit extras from my makeup artist friend. Also love MAC brushes, and have found that investing in a good set it worth it.

For foundation, I like clinique (something with SPF but I can't remember product name), but I don't wear it very often. Giorgio Armani concealer is fabulous.

I like lipstains (works as blush too) but my favorite lip product will probably always be lipsmackers flavored balm Revlon makes good lip products. I usually stick w/drug store brands bc I lose them.

Oh but clinique black honey lipstick is always, ALWAYS in my purse. Subtle and looks great.

Girl stuff yeah yeah!
Oh, well shoot. I misread BG's Directions.
I need to edit and re-write my answer.

Also, you get an A+ for thoroughness.
Safe Travels!!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #552
MonaLittle
Elusive

Jogging with a tiara... only in Ca.

Last edited by MonaLittle : 12-22-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #553
girlsmiley
quiche

So...

We had Christmas Cricket yesterday, and I wore my cute little pink shorts and a white top (because cricket).

It was so bloody hot. Walked home during drinks break and had lots of Gatorade and another cold shower (4 showers yesterday) and applied copious amounts of sunscreen.

And then party. What a night. Girls, it was the best night ever. Awesome band, all my mates, lots of dancing and people enjoying themselves. Just the best night ever.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #554
lovetoread
Happy Happy Joy Joy

I've not yet mastered the art of using a brush for eyeliner. The liquid stuff I wore on Halloween was put on by the youngest.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #555
Aquagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I don't usually buy make-up how-to books, but I'm now reading this after seeing it highly recommended elsewhere: The Makeup Wakeup: Revitalizing Your Look at Any Age.

Despite the title, it's aimed at women over 40 - and comments in the reviews suggest it's not especially useful for younger women. It's written by two celebrity makeup artists, with commentary from them as well as celebrities and models (including contains not only the feel-good "you're never too old to be beautiful" peptalk stuff, but also tons of excellent specific advice. It goes over a wide range of makeup styles - from super-natural makeup to dramatic smoky-eye looks - and shows how to make them work on women over the age of 40.

There are tons of photos and advice from women including Carol Alt, Alva Chinn, Nancy Bonahue, Deborah Harry, Constance White, Lauren Ezersky - all women over 40 with vastly different styles and areas of concern, from freckles (don't cover them!) to heavy eyelids to dark circles to sun damage to wimpy lashes.

I'm 41, have nice skin and good muscle tone. My problem is the eye area. I've already tried a few of the suggestions in the book with good results.

A few:
- Even if you went barefaced when you were younger, do not skip foundation. It is necessary.
- Go with a lighter, warmer foundation than you previously used. Pink/cold foundations are aging.
- Apply foundation from the outside of the face in, blending well. If you have undereye wrinkles or bags, leave that area bare.
- Avoid cream eyeshadows. They stick in wrinkles like crazy. Go for heavily pigmented powders.
- Use as little concealer as possible. Try using foundation applied with a brush instead. (Tons of info on how and wear to use concealer on older skin.)
- Skip the loose powder. If you must, dust it lightly on your t-zone.
- Moisturize and cleanse/exfoliate your brows!

Dare I add?

I can't wear mascara on my bottom lashes anymore. It seems to highlight any wrinkles I have there. Sort of bums me out. My bottoms are as equally long as my tops.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #556
MonaLittle
Elusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoread View Post
I've not yet mastered the art of using a brush for eyeliner. The liquid stuff I wore on Halloween was put on by the youngest.
M.A.C. and Laura Mercier both have a great eyeliner brush which is perfect for beginners. Their eyeliners come in gel pots and are super simple to apply. They will show you how to use the brush. It's really very simple. You'll love it.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #557
bluemuse
guera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLittle View Post
M.A.C. and Laura Mercier both have a great eyeliner brush which is perfect for beginners. Their eyeliners come in gel pots and are super simple to apply. They will show you how to use the brush. It's really very simple. You'll love it.
I love that stuff. And the brush is fabulous.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #558
warrior queen
wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoread View Post
I have never been able to wear liner. It allways ends up all over my lid because of the way my eyelids fold when I open them.
What I do now is use the darkest colour shadow and apply it as a thin line using the tip of the applicator.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
- unknown

Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #559
warrior queen
wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagal View Post
Dare I add?

I can't wear mascara on my bottom lashes anymore. It seems to highlight any wrinkles I have there. Sort of bums me out. My bottoms are as equally long as my tops.
Try using a lighter shade. I use blackest-black on the top lashes and either a brown (for going out) or a clear mascara (for day wear).
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
- unknown

Last edited by warrior queen : 12-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #560
girlsmiley
quiche

Mascara? I snuck off and had a facial yesterday lol. Pierre was like, "Come sit here, darling." I walked in there and said, "Can someone please do something with this face?" lol.

Facial, and he also did my eyelashes. I needed pampering after the cricket. So badly needed it.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #561
Aquagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior queen View Post
Try using a lighter shade. I use blackest-black on the top lashes and either a brown (for going out) or a clear mascara (for day wear).
I already use brown, even on the top lashes. Black seems to look so harsh on me. Hadn't thought of clear, didn't even know it was made?

Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #562
warrior queen
wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagal View Post
I already use brown, even on the top lashes. Black seems to look so harsh on me. Hadn't thought of clear, didn't even know it was made?
My clear comes from Revlon. I love it, because there are days I can't be bothered with makeup.... but a girl never EVER leaves the house without mascara
- unknown

Old 12-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #563
Noor
Serendipity is my friend

Quote:
Thank you! I will! I would love that.

I went to a solstice party once! People were dressed all sorts of ways - some women in fancy dresses, some casual warm, and some in flowing cloaks (there were druids there for a solstice ceremony ). For reasons too strange and long to type out on my phone, I had to wear a tiara. Crazy night!

But anyway, wear a tiara. EVERYWHERE.

I wish I had a tiara! I will wear a dressy art blouse that a late friend made and some sparkle jewelry.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #564
Lorilei
smoke and mirrors

Quote:
I'm at the MN airport (hi Noor!) and they have a Benefit cosmetics VENDING MACHINE. Can't attach pic from phone so I'll have to post it later but basically it's a FUCKING VENDING MACHINE full of beautifully pink-packaged goodness.
Holy crap. Those should be EVERYWHERE.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
― Stephen Colbert

Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #565
lovetoread
Happy Happy Joy Joy

The closest thing I have is a vending machine for pro active.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #566
Wings
Accidental Genius

I was the one who linked the They're Real! mascara, I adore it. I also bought the Lancome Hypnose mascara and I adore that too.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #567
bg23
motherfuckin'sparklepony

have you guys tried too faced's Better than False Lashes mascara?

a goddamn miracle

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #568
Wings
Accidental Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg23 View Post
have you guys tried too faced's Better than False Lashes mascara?

a goddamn miracle
Well shit, now I'm going to have to grow some more lashes so I can wear all these great mascaras.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #569
bg23
motherfuckin'sparklepony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Well shit, now I'm going to have to grow some more lashes so I can wear all these great mascaras.

diorshow maximizer is a great lash serum - helps them grow!

also try lancome cils booster xl prior to using your lancome hypnose drama/star -- BOOSTS THEM LIKE CRAZY

at some point i'm going to post my make up drawer so you guys can all judge me

Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #570
bg23
motherfuckin'sparklepony

Quote:
We're boarding so I have to hurry but this is IMPORTANT.

Mascara is the lancome hypnose drama I mentioned. For eyeliner, gel applied with an angle brush is my jam (bobbie brown makes a great brush). Haven't been able to replicate with liquid or pencil. All about the brush, tho. I even use it with dark colored eye shadow for a softer line.

Eye shadow, I like bare minerals and MAC, but I am spoiled because I inherit extras from my makeup artist friend. Also love MAC brushes, and have found that investing in a good set it worth it.

For foundation, I like clinique (something with SPF but I can't remember product name), but I don't wear it very often. Giorgio Armani concealer is fabulous.

I like lipstains (works as blush too) but my favorite lip product will probably always be lipsmackers flavored balm Revlon makes good lip products. I usually stick w/drug store brands bc I lose them.

Oh but clinique black honey lipstick is always, ALWAYS in my purse. Subtle and looks great.

Girl stuff yeah yeah!
You are so lucky! I would love a make up artist friend. Love your picks, and revlon does make excellent lippies. Haven't tried clinique's black honey yet but it's coming in one of my packages this week hopefully!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #571
Fata Morgana
Deckel Edged

Lucky yank bastards. All we have in our vending machines is Coke and Snickers.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #572
Sinny
freckled

Smile

Update! Roadhead's cologne samples arrived today from Lucky Scents. I am stuffing them in his stocking (not a euphemism, plus ewww, can't believe you went there).

They are Manly! Clean! Woodsy! Scents! I hope he likes one of them. I took a sniff of each and there is a vetiver scent that I am officially calling Panty Dropper. Can't wait to see how it works for him.

I indulged in a sample of Farmacia Ss Annunziata's Vaniglia Del Madagascar and I dabbed some on a few hours ago and I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS - LOVE'S BABY SOFT?? It smelled like desperation on the playground. But as it has mellowed on my neck, the scent has shifted and released a light citrus tone and a tinge of amber, which I love. It took only two hours to bloom, I wonder what it will smell like at 10. The powdery vanilla notes can go fuck off. I don't want to smell like the locker room after junior high PE. The jury is out, I will wear it the rest of the week.

Lucky Scents is an amazing find for anyone looking to sample before buying. Just saying. I don't know how I would find the time to track down samples of all these perfumes and colognes. The only drawback is that the samples only come in the bottles with the wand. I really like spray samples.

I am giving the Perfumed Court a try next week. They carry the Creed and Hermes I want to give Roadhead, and they offer spray samples for $5 to $6. Will report back after my samples arrive.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #573
Laurel
Kitty Mama

Quote:
I'm at the MN airport (hi Noor!) and they have a Benefit cosmetics VENDING MACHINE. Can't attach pic from phone so I'll have to post it later but basically it's a FUCKING VENDING MACHINE full of beautifully pink-packaged goodness.
OMG!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg23 View Post
i really like some of benefit's products but they have some god-awful customer service from what i've heard.

name your favorites! you can have more than one - brand and shade/set/palette or whatever. have you found a holy grail for any of these products yet?
1. eye-shadow - I created a custom MAC neutral palette (uploaded pic from when it was new - it's messier now, of course). You can't really tell because the light was shit when I took the pic, but there's a really nice burgundy in there. I like MAC's massive selection of colors and finishes, and looove the fact that you can customize your own palettes because I hate buying a big flat of shadows and only using like two of them. I'm not always thrilled with the texture of some of the shadows, but overall they're very good quality and layer well (especially since I found out you're supposed to use a stiff brush for blending, duh).

2. eye-liner - I want to marry Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil. I have it in Perversion (aka Black). It glides on superduper smoothly, is intensely pigmented and opaque, it blends decently, and stays where it's put. Totally totally recommend. Best pencil liner ever.

3. mascara - Lately I've been digging MAC False Lashes Mascara. I have thin short lashes. The MAC False Lashes really separates and lengthens them beautifully while thickening them without making them clumpy. It's very darkly black, so it looks very nice over the abovementioned pencil. When I want stripper/rockstar-goopy lashes, I use Two-Faced's Size Queen.

4. foundation - I've been using Kevyn Aucoin's Liquid Airbrush Foundation for the last few years. It's a liquid that gives medium coverage, and is radly perfect for thin fine-textured skin. It's buildable, so you can apply it as usual, then pat it over your trouble spots like concealer. It blends very nicely. The finish is semi-dewy, so you only need to apply a light bit of semi-shimmery loose powder over your T-zone afterwards for a very natural poreless look. Nice range of colors (one of the few brands with a light light-enough for my fish-belly white complexion) and very easy-to-deal-with pump dispenser.

5. bronzer/blush - I've been going back and forth between Benefit's Posietint and Stila's cream blush. I love cream/liquid blushes because I seem to totally suck at applying powder blushes. Plus with dry skin, the creams/liquids seem to last longer. I don't use a bronzer 'cause fishbelly white, but I do use a white highlighter fluid (sparingly).

6. lipstick - I've got a small mouth with okayly puffy lips. I've been liking the look of the neutral mouth I've seen around lately, but don't want my mouth to completely disappear. I line with a neutral liner from L'Oreal or someone, then dab/blend a little white shiny in the center of my lips. Over that I've been layering IT Cosmetics Vitality lipstick/stain in Love Story (a darkish mauve-pink) with one of my MAC neutral colors (walked out of the store with 5 tubes a few weeks ago, ranging from a light beigey thing to a darker near-brown, with varying finishes) and a dab of gloss on the lip pillow. I can't seem to find a single color I love, so I'm layering them to get something that works-ish.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #574
Aquagal

I went to this makeup party for Younique. I ended up buying the fabulous mascara that looked great on me there. It was not so fabulous when I went to use it though. It was a duo layer of mascara then this fiber layer. As the day wore on I'd find fibers shedding on to my cheeks. After $30 a pop, too spendy for poor quality.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #575
bg23
motherfuckin'sparklepony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
OMG!!!!

1. eye-shadow - I created a custom MAC neutral palette (uploaded pic from when it was new - it's messier now, of course). You can't really tell because the light was shit when I took the pic, but there's a really nice burgundy in there. I like MAC's massive selection of colors and finishes, and looove the fact that you can customize your own palettes because I hate buying a big flat of shadows and only using like two of them. I'm not always thrilled with the texture of some of the shadows, but overall they're very good quality and layer well (especially since I found out you're supposed to use a stiff brush for blending, duh).

2. eye-liner - I want to marry Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil. I have it in Perversion (aka Black). It glides on superduper smoothly, is intensely pigmented and opaque, it blends decently, and stays where it's put. Totally totally recommend. Best pencil liner ever.

3. mascara - Lately I've been digging MAC False Lashes Mascara. I have thin short lashes. The MAC False Lashes really separates and lengthens them beautifully while thickening them without making them clumpy. It's very darkly black, so it looks very nice over the abovementioned pencil. When I want stripper/rockstar-goopy lashes, I use Two-Faced's Size Queen.

4. foundation - I've been using Kevyn Aucoin's Liquid Airbrush Foundation for the last few years. It's a liquid that gives medium coverage, and is radly perfect for thin fine-textured skin. It's buildable, so you can apply it as usual, then pat it over your trouble spots like concealer. It blends very nicely. The finish is semi-dewy, so you only need to apply a light bit of semi-shimmery loose powder over your T-zone afterwards for a very natural poreless look. Nice range of colors (one of the few brands with a light light-enough for my fish-belly white complexion) and very easy-to-deal-with pump dispenser.

5. bronzer/blush - I've been going back and forth between Benefit's Posietint and Stila's cream blush. I love cream/liquid blushes because I seem to totally suck at applying powder blushes. Plus with dry skin, the creams/liquids seem to last longer. I don't use a bronzer 'cause fishbelly white, but I do use a white highlighter fluid (sparingly).

6. lipstick - I've got a small mouth with okayly puffy lips. I've been liking the look of the neutral mouth I've seen around lately, but don't want my mouth to completely disappear. I line with a neutral liner from L'Oreal or someone, then dab/blend a little white shiny in the center of my lips. Over that I've been layering IT Cosmetics Vitality lipstick/stain in Love Story (a darkish mauve-pink) with one of my MAC neutral colors (walked out of the store with 5 tubes a few weeks ago, ranging from a light beigey thing to a darker near-brown, with varying finishes) and a dab of gloss on the lip pillow. I can't seem to find a single color I love, so I'm layering them to get something that works-ish.
i love mac stuff! i want to buy the whole store. the sheer range of colors is overwhelming. i love your eye shadow palette -- i always think it would probably work best for me to just pick out single colors that suit and put them together but i always end up buying 13256 different palettes instead. and then it's dumb because i end up using about 3 colors in each palette and the rest stay untouched.

i wish i could wear a neutral lip. whenever i do i look like i'm dying. i wore a neutral lip once while i was skiing and my aunt asked me if i had hypothermia.

i'd never heard of kevyn aucoin before so i looked it up - damn, that's the good stuff!

re. blush - have you ever tried josie maran's coconut water cheek gelee? it's gorgeous. you have to use a light hand but it makes the most lovely subtle color and it's really hydrating so great for dry skin.

speaking of which, what's your skin care regimen like?