Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
ShyMagpie
Virgin
 
ShyMagpie is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
I can't believe this one was missed.

To/too

I'm guilty of adverb abuse myself. One of my edits tends to be reading it over and taking out most of the words that end with "ly".
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #52
Neonurotic
cafe oooh latte
 
Neonurotic's Avatar
 
Neonurotic is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,174
Loose for lose. Also, quitted for quit--that's more for online gaming, but I see it in stories and posts forums too.
__________________
• Neo Classic • Subs • • • • •• • • • •
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #53
Blind_Justice
Really Really Experienced
 
Blind_Justice's Avatar
 
Blind_Justice is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cyberspace, the final frontier
Posts: 393
One thing I've seen a terrible lot of recently:

"He should of said so earlier" or the like, where it's clearly meant to be "He should HAVE said so earlier". Even when it's abbreviated as "should've", its obvious that there is no "of" involved at all.

I see that in the forums or blogs I frequent far too often. Even for me as a non-native speaker it's an eyesore.
__________________
My stuff on Lit

The Big Catch
Written for the first Literotica Tag Team Contest by Zeb_Carter and me.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #54
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 35,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Justice View Post
One thing I've seen a terrible lot of recently:

"He should of said so earlier" or the like, where it's clearly meant to be "He should HAVE said so earlier". Even when it's abbreviated as "should've", its obvious that there is no "of" involved at all.

I see that in the forums or blogs I frequent far too often. Even for me as a non-native speaker it's an eyesore.
Shows the stupidity of programmers. . . .
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #55
Tio_Narratore
Everybody Party!
 
Tio_Narratore's Avatar
 
Tio_Narratore is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North
Posts: 39,684
I'll get arcane here for a moment, mostly because it came up today: "liver spots" instead of livor spots." That misusage has left people believing that the brownish/purplish spots that appear with age are caused somehow by the liver. They are livor spots; "livor" is from the Latin for that brownish/purplish colour.

There. I've said it. No get on with the more serious stuff.
__________________
Link to my stories...

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #56
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
I'll get arcane here for a moment, mostly because it came up today: "liver spots" instead of livor spots." That misusage has left people believing that the brownish/purplish spots that appear with age are caused somehow by the liver. They are livor spots; "livor" is from the Latin for that brownish/purplish colour.

There. I've said it. No get on with the more serious stuff.
I never knew that, thanks--but if it comes up in an erotica story, I think I'll give it a pass. (But come to think of it, I think I'll try to put it in the next story I write.)
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #57
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
I'll get arcane here for a moment, mostly because it came up today: "liver spots" instead of livor spots." That misusage has left people believing that the brownish/purplish spots that appear with age are caused somehow by the liver. They are livor spots; "livor" is from the Latin for that brownish/purplish colour.

There. I've said it. No get on with the more serious stuff.
I've never seen that in a story before.

I suppose if it was to pop up here in an erotic story it would be in the mature(very mature) category.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #58
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 39,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
I'll get arcane here for a moment, mostly because it came up today: "liver spots" instead of livor spots." That misusage has left people believing that the brownish/purplish spots that appear with age are caused somehow by the liver. They are livor spots; "livor" is from the Latin for that brownish/purplish colour.

There. I've said it. No get on with the more serious stuff.
I did not know that!

Thanks, Tio

Reminds me; a local street guy, one of the happy drunk types, waltzed up to me once and said "hey baby, how about a fling?"

I said; "My partner would be livid!" and without missing a beat he said; "That's a shade of purple."
....

I looked him in the eye and asked "What is your I.Q, anyway?"

"They never got it measured," he told me. "That's why I stay drunk."
His brother corroborated the fact later. Poor guy!
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #59
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
I guess it would be being a party pooper to note that "liver spots" is in Webster's and "livor spots" isn't? And if you Google "livor spots," you come up blank (well, not blank. You're asked if you mean "liver spots.")
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #60
monoblanco
Really Experienced
 
monoblanco's Avatar
 
monoblanco is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The stars at night are big and bright...
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I guess it would be being a party pooper to note that "liver spots" is in Webster's and "livor spots" isn't? And if you Google "livor spots," you come up blank (well, not blank. You're asked if you mean "liver spots.")
Hmmm...

I got the same search results but what I searched for "livor spots anyway" the first result what "livor mortis". Not what I was looking for but given the subject, seems not entirely unrelated



Here's another one that drives me up the wall:

No problemo

Yes. I live in Texas. I'm accustomed to hearing people butcher Spanish ALL the time but this one annoys me to no end.

The word is problema goddamit!
__________________
.
.
.
When someone says to me, "great minds think alike,"
I just look at them and think, "you dirty bastard."
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #61
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
Probably a case of conventional use swamping the original and only the purists holding out.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #62
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
Here's one encountered just a minute ago in an editorial review.

You "rack" your brain; you don't "wrack" it.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #63
lovecraft68
Bad Doggie
 
lovecraft68's Avatar
 
lovecraft68 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 19,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoblanco View Post
Hmmm...

I got the same search results but what I searched for "livor spots anyway" the first result what "livor mortis". Not what I was looking for but given the subject, seems not entirely unrelated



Here's another one that drives me up the wall:

No problemo

Yes. I live in Texas. I'm accustomed to hearing people butcher Spanish ALL the time but this one annoys me to no end.

The word is problema goddamit!

But when people say it, it usually is "problemo" so I guess the incorrect version became the popular one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #64
monoblanco
Really Experienced
 
monoblanco's Avatar
 
monoblanco is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The stars at night are big and bright...
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
But when people say it, it usually is "problemo" so I guess the incorrect version became the popular one.
Alas...

Though I do live in a state famous for its utter lack of concern for mispronunciation. Maybe I should be proud?
__________________
.
.
.
When someone says to me, "great minds think alike,"
I just look at them and think, "you dirty bastard."
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #65
Tio_Narratore
Everybody Party!
 
Tio_Narratore's Avatar
 
Tio_Narratore is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North
Posts: 39,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I guess it would be being a party pooper to note that "liver spots" is in Webster's and "livor spots" isn't? And if you Google "livor spots," you come up blank (well, not blank. You're asked if you mean "liver spots.")
Yes, "liver" has become the accepted term, though it begins in Medieval Medicine as "livor" and still exists, albeit mostly archaic, in English and Spanish as a term for bruises or skin discolorations (livors, pl.).

Google mostly misses it, but there is an incomplete article in Wiki here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/livor

So the party's still on; neither Webster nor (heavens forbid!) Google is the final arbiter of truth.
__________________
Link to my stories...

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #66
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
Here's one encountered just a minute ago in an editorial review.

You "rack" your brain; you don't "wrack" it.
I've also come across "wreck" havoc when the writer meant "wreak."
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #67
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru
 
SamScribble's Avatar
 
SamScribble is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out there
Posts: 15,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I guess it would be being a party pooper to note that "liver spots" is in Webster's and "livor spots" isn't? And if you Google "livor spots," you come up blank (well, not blank. You're asked if you mean "liver spots.")
My fall-back in cases like this tends to be from the eastern side of the pond: The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. It gives livor as 1 Discolouration of the skin, as from bruising or in a corpse. 2 Ill will, malignity, spite. That fits pretty well with Tio's tale.
__________________
‘Writing is the ultimate decision-making experience. Every paragraph, every sentence, every word, is a decision.’ – Michael Bremer
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #68
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
So the party's still on; neither Webster nor (heavens forbid!) Google is the final arbiter of truth.
I know there are those here (who think it's all about them) who can't accept that Webster's is, indeed, a final arbitrator in U.S. publishing style spelling.

But it is.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #69
Tio_Narratore
Everybody Party!
 
Tio_Narratore's Avatar
 
Tio_Narratore is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North
Posts: 39,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I know there are those here (who think it's all about them) who can't accept that Webster's is, indeed, a final arbitrator in U.S. publishing style spelling.

But it is.
Sorry, but Webster's, as its founder intended and declared, was never to be an arbiter, but only a reflection of actual usage. I can't deny that common usuage makes it "liver spots," but I reserve the right as an academic and an author to be as arcane as I wish. "Liver" derives from the Old Germanic "lifer" and has nothing to do with bruise-like spots. Bruises, and any other similar discolorations of the skin were termed "livors," after the Latin usage, as with other medical terminology. We still use it for "livor mortis," the discoloration of the skin that comes with the settling and deoxygenation of the blood after death.

So, "liver spots" it is by consensus of the people, but they still have nothing to do with livers, and I get livid when anyone claims they do.
__________________
Link to my stories...

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #70
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
One thing I never get over on this forum is the arrogance of amateur writers of dirty stories.

The standard authority of U.S. publishing style in the humanities (which includes fiction) is the Chicago Manual of Style as agreed to by U.S. publishers. The Chicago Manual of Style specifies Merriam-Webster's Third International or Merriam-Webster's Collegiate dictionaries as the arbiters of spelling in U.S. publishing style.

Folks on this forum (including me) don't have a vote on that. And those who deny the authorities are just being "it's all about me" arrogant--or are, legitimately publishing in some other publishing venue than the U.S. market.

"liver spots" is in Webster's Collegiate. "Livor spots" isn't. So, in U.S. style, at least, "liver spots" exists and "livor spots" doesn't. Again no one posting to this forum has a vote on that--and should probably just get over themselves if that bothers them (taking us back to your original "lividness" over someone actually following U.S. style on a U.S.-hosted Web site).
__________________
______________________



Last edited by sr71plt : 12-18-2013 at 01:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #71
Handley_Page
Literotica Guru
 
Handley_Page's Avatar
 
Handley_Page is online now
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 35,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
Sorry, but Webster's, as its founder intended and declared, was never to be an arbiter, but only a reflection of actual usage. I can't deny that common usuage makes it "liver spots," but I reserve the right as an academic and an author to be as arcane as I wish. "Liver" derives from the Old Germanic "lifer" and has nothing to do with bruise-like spots. Bruises, and any other similar discolorations of the skin were termed "livors," after the Latin usage, as with other medical terminology. We still use it for "livor mortis," the discoloration of the skin that comes with the settling and deoxygenation of the blood after death.

So, "liver spots" it is by consensus of the people, but they still have nothing to do with livers, and I get livid when anyone claims they do.
There's a species of spaniel dog with what are called 'Liver' spots. Now I know why.
__________________
.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Handley Page

"Incident at Cemetery Junction"
"Pest Control"
"Mavis's Car Trip"
"Norman-the-dragon "
"Stacy & the Angel "
" Earth Tremor on Stage ? "
" Charlie's Story "
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...php?uid=883259
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #72
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru
 
SamScribble's Avatar
 
SamScribble is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out there
Posts: 15,504
Pilot, everything that you say is true. But the internet is a global thing and yet local usage - and history - remains. Dictionaries record usage. And, in this capacity, they define usage for the moment. If US writers start using left as the word that we currently use to define right, Webster's will follow. Not trying to start an argument; just saying.
__________________
‘Writing is the ultimate decision-making experience. Every paragraph, every sentence, every word, is a decision.’ – Michael Bremer
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #73
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,010
And I'm just saying--in response to those who say there are no authorities--that there jolly well are and if those who insist that there aren't want to screw themselves up if they hoped their writing would go beyond free-read amateur sites want to be pigheaded about being "it's all about me" that's one thing, but if they assert their pigheaded arrogance on forums where others who want their writing to go beyond free-read amateur sites come for guidance that's quite another, destructive thing.
__________________
______________________


  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #74
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 39,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoblanco View Post
Alas...

Though I do live in a state famous for its utter lack of concern for mispronunciation. Maybe I should be proud?
You should be nucular!
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #75
LadyVer
Cat Fancier
 
LadyVer's Avatar
 
LadyVer is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ridunculous
Posts: 15,818
bifurcated
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.