Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
3113
Vamping
 
3113's Avatar
 
3113 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pluto
Posts: 13,703
Talking Gatsby...a new fragrance by Calvin Klein....

Hey, I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and I think "Gatsby" might well be the great American novel, but, first, I have doubts about putting it on screen. I mean, it's really hard to translate as it's not your typical love story. They're trying to pitch it as Romeo & Juliet, which it is (from two different worlds...), but I don't think audiences (spoiler alter!) are going to be happy about an R&J movie where Juliet dumps Romeo for the man her family prefers and Romeo's end is less a tragedy than a pathetic comedy of errors.

And then there's Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role...well, let's say I have some issues with that. I can't say who's right for the role, but I just think they'd have done better with someone less well-known.

Most confusing are the billboards:



What are we selling here? These look like high end fragrance ads, not movie posters. Thoughts?
__________________
3113




"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 39,514
I love the posters. I could tell they were for a movie because they say "Leonardo Di Caprio" on them
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,656
He has a better chance of pulling off Gatsby than 5' 6" Tom Cruise had of pulling off 6' 5" Jack Reacher.

And I'm still annoyed with the fatal flaw in Inception.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113 View Post
They're trying to pitch it as Romeo & Juliet, which it is (from two different worlds...), but I don't think audiences (spoiler alter!) are going to be happy about an R&J movie where Juliet dumps Romeo for the man her family prefers and Romeo's end is less a tragedy than a pathetic comedy of errors.
Says who? You? Well who are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113
And then there's Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role...well, let's say I have some issues with that. I can't say who's right for the role, but I just think they'd have done better with someone less well-known.
For someone who hangs outnin an author's hangout, you would hink you would have picked p metaphor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar
He has a better chance of pulling off Gatsby than 5' 6" Tom Cruise had of pulling off 6' 5" Jack Reacher
For the record, Tom Cruise acted the hell out of that movie, totally plausible.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
For the record, Tom Cruise acted the hell out of that movie, totally plausible.
You're not a Reacher Creature, are you.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
You're not a Reacher Creature, are you.
I don't know what that means...
I do know, my Grandfather, a huge fan of the books, enjoyed it thoroughly.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
slyc_willie
Captain Crash
 
slyc_willie's Avatar
 
slyc_willie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the flesh
Posts: 17,307
Cool

To anyone not familiar with Art Deco, the posters and even the trailers I've seen so far could almost look steampunk-ish.

Personally, since Gangs of New York, I've been a DiCaprio fan. he put the little boy image behind him and has since become both serious leading man and a good actor. I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, but I plan on it. The clips I've seen that feature him pull me in.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc_willie View Post
I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, but I plan on it. The clips I've seen that feature him pull me in.
Film = so worth it. Watch it and think: "These dudes are pulling a Straight Mel Brooks."
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
I don't know what that means...
I do know, my Grandfather, a huge fan of the books, enjoyed it thoroughly.
A Reacher Creatures are the die-hard fans of the books/character. They went ballistic when they heard TC was going to play the role. In each book the author makes a big deal of Reacher's size. At one point he said he didn't know who would play the part, but it wouldn't be TC because he was too short. He later tried to back peddle saying, "Oh, I meant Reacher's size to as a metaphor for an unstoppable force." Sure, he did. For someone not familiar with the books TC wouldn't matter. I saw it and TC did a good job, but it wasn't Reacher.

Yes, Django Unchained is definitely well worth it. Only Tarantino can make carnage funny! Lots of stuff going on in it.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
A Reacher Creatures are the die-hard fans of the books/character. They went ballistic when they heard TC was going to play the role. In each book the author makes a big deal of Reacher's size. At one point he said he didn't know who would play the part, but it wouldn't be TC because he was too short. He later tried to back peddle saying, "Oh, I meant Reacher's size to as a metaphor for an unstoppable force." Sure, he did. For someone not familiar with the books TC wouldn't matter. I saw it and TC did a good job, but it wasn't Reacher.
1. Who's they? The Fans or the Media?
2. The Author backed Cruise
3. Camera tricks. His height is irrelevant in the film, it truly did not matter. Appearing to be a big guy is the same as trying to explain in writing that someone is a big guy.
4. No book is the same as a movie. I like the Hitchhiker's Guide movie but it is definately not the book.

also: Little people are people too.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
1. Who's they? The Fans or the Media?
2. The Author backed Cruise
3. Camera tricks. His height is irrelevant in the film, it truly did not matter. Appearing to be a big guy is the same as trying to explain in writing that someone is a big guy.
4. No book is the same as a movie. I like the Hitchhiker's Guide movie but it is definately not the book.

also: Little people are people too.
1. The fans went ballistic. Even had a facebook page: tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. Pretty funny.

2. The author backed TC because TC bought the rights to the books and one was going to be made into a movie.

3. Yeah.

4. I head fans of the book Sniper were similarly outraged when Mark Whalberg was chosen for the role.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
1. The fans went ballistic. Even had a facebook page: tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher. Pretty funny.

4. I head fans of the book Sniper were similarly outraged when Mark Whalberg was chosen for the role.
And all of the fans went there and posted? Wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
2. The author backed TC because TC bought the rights to the books and one was going to be made into a movie.
Credit where Credit is Due.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
jomar
chillin
 
jomar's Avatar
 
jomar is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
And all of the fans went there and posted? Wut?


Their outrage.
__________________
"No one writes trash like you, Jo." - bluebell
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomar View Post
Their outrage.
Nice Points taken/Given.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,198
I like the Gatsby movie ad campaign. I have no idea what I'll think of the movie until I see it, though. I'm not a fan of either DiCaprio or Maguire and I don't know the leading lady at all. Doesn't mean I might not like the movie.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113 View Post
Hey, I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and I think "Gatsby" might well be the great American novel, but, first, I have doubts about putting it on screen. I mean, it's really hard to translate as it's not your typical love story. They're trying to pitch it as Romeo & Juliet, which it is (from two different worlds...), but I don't think audiences (spoiler alter!) are going to be happy about an R&J movie where Juliet dumps Romeo for the man her family prefers and Romeo's end is less a tragedy than a pathetic comedy of errors.

And then there's Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role...well, let's say I have some issues with that. I can't say who's right for the role, but I just think they'd have done better with someone less well-known.

Most confusing are the billboards:



What are we selling here? These look like high end fragrance ads, not movie posters. Thoughts?
The Great Gatsby is one of my all-time favorite novels that I have studied on the undergraduate and graduate level. I am not expecting this version to be a literal translation of the novel due to the director Baz Luhrmann's operatic style of film making.

Although Coppola’s version of Gatsby drew upon the novel’s romanticism, I expect this version to be almost surrealistic.

I am willing to suspend any comparisons with the novel, because I think Luhrmann’s vision and interpretation of Fitzgerald’s hero will be fascinating and compelling.

Besides the real love affair in the novel is between Nick Carraway and Gatsby. There are clear hints in the novel that Nick is in love with Gatsby and Gatsby’s romantic optimism.

I will love to see how Luhrmann handles the iconic symbolism from the novel--the valley of ashes, the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg, the green light at the end of Daisy's dock, Gatsby's yellow car, the rampant consumerism of the 1920's, and Daisy voice being "full of money."

The young actress Carey Mulligan selected to play Daisy should be wonderful. She has extraordinary range. I highly recommend seeing her in the movies An Education and Shame.

Last edited by NekoParks : 04-24-2013 at 06:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
3113
Vamping
 
3113's Avatar
 
3113 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pluto
Posts: 13,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
The Great Gatsby is one of my all-time favorite novels that I have studied on the undergraduate and graduate level. I am not expecting this version to be a literal translation of the novel due to the director Baz Luhrmann's operatic style of film making.
Actually, from what I've seen and read, it might be a highly literal interpretation. Artsy in filming style, yet, but word-for-word where it can be. They culled the book and made the dresses described at the parties--that's how faithful to the book this is gong to be.

And yes, the love story is really between Nick and Gatsby--but that's not implication of the posters, etc., is it? What the story is really about isn't on those posters or trailers--because that's not going to lure non-Gatsby readers into the theaters like suggesting this is more Romeo-Juliet. In fact, I find it ironic that the book is on sale all over the place with "read it before you see the film!" urgings. This isn't "Twilight." Readers under a certain age (like, say, 30) who've never read Gatsby or taken a class where it was read...they're going to be confused and bummed.

I'm a Gatsby aficionado, too, so I'll be seeing it. But I'm not so sure it's going to be the "Hunger Games" tie-in hit marketing is hoping it will be (Brooks Brothers--Fitzgerald's clothing line of choice, its archives used to create costumes for the men in the film--has a Gatsby-for-men line and they're coming out with; and two different jewelry companies are coming out with expensive and inexpensive deco pieces).
__________________
3113




"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,198
I thought this film was a takeoff from the original, not a version of it, literal or otherwise. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
3113
Vamping
 
3113's Avatar
 
3113 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pluto
Posts: 13,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
I thought this film was a takeoff from the original, not a version of it, literal or otherwise. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
Don't have to wait. Check out the trailer. From what I'm seeing (and reading) this is going to be faithful down to the smallest details and as literal as possible. We're talking faithful to the book the way the "Watchman" movie took panels from the comic and put them up on screen exactly as "drawn." As much as that can be done taking the written word and putting up on screen whatever is described or said as exactly as possible, this movie seems to be trying to do.
__________________
3113




"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
Stella_Omega
No Gentleman
 
Stella_Omega's Avatar
 
Stella_Omega is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shaken, not stirred
Posts: 39,514
Maguire and DiCaprio... There should be some sparks there.

I'll have to see it in 2D though. Does anyone else have vertigo issues with 3D? I was so disappointed to find that about about myself.
__________________
"Oh woe, these be perilous times! Children no longer obey their elders, and everybody is writing a book!"
--Pliny the Elder, AD76

All about Stella; My AH profile
Stella's stories on lit

An essay for BDSM Newbies; Top, bottom, dominant, submissive-- and the differences thereof Now rewritten with extra sparkle!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Omega View Post
I'll have to see it in 2D though. Does anyone else have vertigo issues with 3D? I was so disappointed to find that about about myself.
Yes. +headaches +nexy day migranes.

Feels like dark forces ...
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #22
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_Omega View Post
Maguire and DiCaprio... There should be some sparks there.

I'll have to see it in 2D though. Does anyone else have vertigo issues with 3D? I was so disappointed to find that about about myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
Yes. +headaches +nexy day migranes.

Feels like dark forces ...
YES!!! I discovered it by accident when I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey a few months ago. I never get motion sick in cars, planes, boats, roller coasters, and then, bam...had to leave the theater and wait for the movie to end in the lobby. I didn't want my friends to miss the movie. I was so disappointed.

I don't understand why it happened. Like I said, I never get motion sickness.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113 View Post
I'm a Gatsby aficionado, too, so I'll be seeing it. But I'm not so sure it's going to be the "Hunger Games" tie-in hit marketing is hoping it will be (Brooks Brothers--Fitzgerald's clothing line of choice, its archives used to create costumes for the men in the film--has a Gatsby-for-men line and they're coming out with; and two different jewelry companies are coming out with expensive and inexpensive deco pieces).
When the Coppola version came out in the 1970's, it influenced fashion and make-up styles. Mad Men has influence clothing and hair styles, so Gatsby could be a fashion influence too. The clothes from the 1920's are beautiful and classic styles. BTW, Coco Chanel's influence really came into full force in the 1920's too.

I have some jewelry made by the company 1928, that I still wear along with some authentic 1920's style jewelry from my grandmother. Also, I have two beaded handbags that she wore to dances and to her wedding. They are beautifully preserved. I love the clothes from the 20's. Boardwalk Empire showcases many gorgeous styles from the 1920's too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #24
sheablue
Literotica Guru
 
sheablue's Avatar
 
sheablue is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Right around the corner.
Posts: 1,321
I'm not a huge Gatsby expert, but I have more trouble with Toby than Leonardo. I used to like Toby but now I find him ... meh. I've always been a Leo fan, though.

And I'm a big Baz Lurhmann fan, too. (did I spell that right?) I know people have issue sometimes with the license he takes with classic stories, but I find his vision truly captivating. And the music ... breathtaking!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheablue View Post
I'm not a huge Gatsby expert, but I have more trouble with Toby than Leonardo. I used to like Toby but now I find him ... meh. I've always been a Leo fan, though.

And I'm a big Baz Lurhmann fan, too. (did I spell that right?) I know people have issue sometimes with the license he takes with classic stories, but I find his vision truly captivating. And the music ... breathtaking!
I agree that Toby was not the best choice...Sam Waterston was an excellent Nick Carraway in Coppola's version of Gatsby...

Leo has the range to play Gatsby, but he is a little old to play the role...I loved Leo in Revolutionary Road. I think one of the younger actors like Zac Efron would have made a terrific Gatsby. I just saw Efron in Me and Orson Wells on the Sundance Channel yesterday. He was terrific in that. I didn't know he could act that well. The character of Gatsby is in his late twenties, so Leo is really too old to play him. Tom Hiddleston would have made a wonderful Nick Carraway.

Last edited by NekoParks : 04-25-2013 at 08:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.