Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
cittran
Virgin

What is the equivalent .doc length of 1 Literotica page?

I've been trying to figure this out.
Based on leaving a blank line between each paragraph, and using single spacing, what is the average length, in pages of a Microsoft Word .doc file, of a single Literotica page?

I'm trying to make my first posting at least 3 full Literotica pages long, (though I'd love it to be longer, it is my first posting, so I'm testing the waters here), and I'd like to know the minimum length in pages in Word I'd need to reach that equivalent.

Anyone know?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

There are so many ways of changing the number of words on a Word page (margins, fonts, font sizes, spacing), that this isn't a useful question. Deal with words instead (which can be found only all Word programs that I know of). I have a big glob of stories here, and a formula of 3,750 words to a Lit. page has always come very close for me.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
MatthewVett
Jahansuz

Don't worry about length. Just make it as long as it needs to be. I'd rather have a reader wanting more and asking for a sequel that getting stuffed and wanting to stop before the end.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittran View Post
I'm trying to make my first posting at least 3 full Literotica pages long,
What SR said. That actual word count is 3,767 words +\- about 400 words.

To get three full pages, you need around 11,000 to 15,000 words
-- according to MSWord's word count function. (The actual page break is determined by character count of around 14KB, but orphan control, invisible characters, and HTML markup overhead makes character counting an unreliable conversion factor.)

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
TGirlNerd
Virgin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVett View Post
Don't worry about length. Just make it as long as it needs to be. I'd rather have a reader wanting more and asking for a sequel that getting stuffed and wanting to stop before the end.
That's what she said? (Sorry, I just couldn't let the innuendo in your comment go unappreciated )

In all seriousness though, This is spot on! Even stories of equal length can have dramatically different pacing -- and pacing and intensity are at least as important as length! Just make a story that reads well, doesn't jump in too quickly, and leaves the reader feeling satisfied at the end ^_^

Also, a how-to guide How to Write Realistic Transsexual Characters

Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
HeyAll
Literotica Guru

The easiest way to find out is to Copy & Paste what you have on Word, and preview it on your Literotica author's profile.

Corporate Whore- Abbey becomes anally submissive to her boss.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Candlelight062

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittran View Post
I've been trying to figure this out.
Based on leaving a blank line between each paragraph, and using single spacing, what is the average length, in pages of a Microsoft Word .doc file, of a single Literotica page?

I'm trying to make my first posting at least 3 full Literotica pages long, (though I'd love it to be longer, it is my first posting, so I'm testing the waters here), and I'd like to know the minimum length in pages in Word I'd need to reach that equivalent.

Anyone know?
I've copy and pasted one page from one of my stories into a .doc and it comes out to 3,561 words for the first page.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
oggbashan
Ancient writer

It doesn't really matter to the readers.

I have one story that is a few lines more than a single Literotica page. I had considered editing it to make it shorter so that it fits into one page, or extending it to make about one and a half pages.

But anonymous sent me feedback saying that he/she liked waiting for the last few sentences.

So I left it alone.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Word count is irrelevant. Many excellent short stories are around 1000 words. And theyre useful for filling small spaces in magazines.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
Word count is irrelevant. Many excellent short stories are around 1000 words. And theyre useful for filling small spaces in magazines.
I think you need to recount. A thousand words is enough for a lot of articles in Magazines. Anyway, most filler today is with advertizing.

New Story: Decorations 07/11/14 Incest

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
JAMESBJOHNSON
TRAILER TRASH KING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
I think you need to recount. A thousand words is enough for a lot of articles in Magazines. Anyway, most filler today is with advertizing.
Ooops I forgot! You don't read John O'Hara.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
cittran
Virgin

Well, this is helpful.

As to why I wanted a minimum length for my first chapter, it's not because I want to make more readers happy with a longer chapter, it's because I don't (read: can't) write good erotica. So I'm writing a story instead, with the erotica interspersed, mainly as plot devices for now. (Maybe as actual erotica once I get good at it.)

I know that I prefer stories to be at least 3 full pages when I read them, but I've also read many that didn't finish the third page and I still thought they were very good.
It boils down to personal preference, but I really want to get that hook way into them with the first chapter, because then people will tell me what they do or don't like about it. (hopefully politely, but my skin's very thick, so w/e.) Regardless of how it's said, feedback is feedback, and I'll use it to improve my stories when I can.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
LadyVer
Literotica Guru

FWIW, I enjoy shorter Lit stories as Lit pages are really long but I guess everyone is different. Good thread.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
cittran
Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVer View Post
FWIW, I enjoy shorter Lit stories as Lit pages are really long but I guess everyone is different. Good thread.
True, they are long.
Then again, I'm also a voracious reader, so they don't seem as long to me.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
MeredithEighty8
Literotica Guru

Do I need to put in a hard page break in my Word .doc for it to reflect as an additional page in Lit?

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-04 NEW - Robert deals with Cassie's infidelity & pregnancy.

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-03 - Robert's jealousies and insecurities erupt.

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey-ch-02 - Young Cassie deals with Robert's obsession and lust

http://www.literotica.com/s/to-love-and-obey ch 01 - Marriage to a sexually and emotionally jaded older man.

http://www.literotica.com/s/like-a-good-neighbor-5 - Young Woman Older Man Enjoy a Summer hook-Up

http://www.literotica.com/s/daddylover - Father/Daughter Incest Results in Pregnancy

http://www.literotica.com/s/a-matter-of-discipline-1 - She Just Needed Sexual Discipline

http://www.literotica.com/s/dr-dorhring-1 - Older Man With Obsession, Drugs Unsuspecting Girl

http://www.literotica.com/s/jeremiah-wolf-progenitor - Stalked, Sexually Assaulted and Impregnated by a Werewolf

Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Candlelight062

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithEighty8 View Post
Do I need to put in a hard page break in my Word .doc for it to reflect as an additional page in Lit?

Hi Meredith!

To answer your question, no. Lit will do all the formatting when they publish your work. No need to worry about that. Just make sure your paragraphs aren't longer than a maximum of 5 sentences. Your readers might find that difficult to read.

Lit will put a space between each paragraph for you, so no need to do that, either.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithEighty8 View Post
Lit will ignore word-processer formatting except for paragraph breaks -- and it will treat hard line breaks as paragraph breaks.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
ttrfanatic
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGirlNerd View Post
That's what she said? (Sorry, I just couldn't let the innuendo in your comment go unappreciated )
Oldie but goodie! Love the humor!