Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Puppy Love

Arrow Life Found Six Miles Above the Earth!

From here:
Quote:
For the first time, scientists have found lifeforms where nobody thought it was possible: floating in the troposphere, the slice of the atmosphere approximately four to six miles (eight to 15 kilometers) above Earth's surface. And not just a tiny few, but lot: 20% of every particle in that atmospheric layer are living organisms.

This has profound implications for our understanding of weather, the spread of disease, and life on other planets.

Scientists previously believed that all the suspended particles in this part of the atmosphere were dust and salt, but this new study—"the first of its kind" say the researchers—demonstrates that life can exist in places that we couldn't imagine, under such extreme conditions, living and feeding.
There's your sci-fi plot bunny for the day!

"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3113 View Post
From here:

There's your sci-fi plot bunny for the day!
Sounds like life is capable of evolving almost anywhere... oops! I used the e-word. I hope there are no creationistas or (un)intelligent designers on Literotica.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

Intelligent Design is perfectly logical. It just requires a Divine Intelligence so far above ours that we can't detect it. Anyone who believes they can detect the hand of God at work has to limited a vision of God. I refuse to worship any deity I can detect and claim to understand.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

"Soldiers are citizens of Death's grey land, drawing no dividends from time's tomorrow. They deposit their life blood, their hopes and aspirations into the cauldron of war so that others might draw on that exchange and have lives they could only dream of having."--Siegfried Sassoon

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary_manque View Post
Intelligent Design is perfectly logical. It just requires a Divine Intelligence so far above ours that we can't detect it. Anyone who believes they can detect the hand of God at work has to limited a vision of God. I refuse to worship any deity I can detect and claim to understand.
Irreducible complexity—a cornerstone of ID theory—is flawed logically and scientifically. Creationists and Intelligent Designers are using science to answer the wrong question. Science answers the question how; whereas, religions answers the question why. This is explains how and why brilliant physicists can also be religious (aside from Richard Dawkins). Current Chaos Theory asserts that there is little to no chaos, just an unperceived pattern. Understanding the hows of the universe does not diminish its wonderment for me. Why can't the mechanism that creates life be both random and divine at the same time?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Puppy Love

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluptuary_manque View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
Understanding the hows of the universe does not diminish its wonderment for me. Why can't the mechanism that creates life be both random and divine at the same time?
Oh, good grief! YAWN folks. Can we get back to LIFE SIX MILES ABOVE THE EARTH and leave the hand-of-god out of it? I'm so fucking sick of such discussions threadjacking any new awesome discovery. Who the fuck cares? I sure don't.

"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Cruel2BKind
Things Fall Apart

Quote:
Oh, good grief! YAWN folks. Can we get back to LIFE SIX MILES ABOVE THE EARTH and leave the hand-of-god out of it? I'm so fucking sick of such discussions threadjacking any new awesome discovery. Who the fuck cares? I sure don't.
You're AV is so angry. I'm getting a demonic feel from this post.

The discovery is extraordinary.

These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm

Quote:
Oops! Trangressed again, 3113. Mea culpa. I think I'm gonna stick to the word games and writer exercises from now on. Some of you guys are way too fierce for me.

Last edited by NekoParks : 01-31-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Troposphere? Isn't that the tropical portion of the atmosphere? Everyone there is on vacation from somewhere else.

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Richard View Post
"Life Found Six Miles Above the Earth!"
Is this what getting high is all about?
When the mile high club just isn't high enough.

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
RodenAddison
Literotica Guru

“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards.” –Robert Heinlein

Last edited by RodenAddison : 02-14-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

"As below, so above"? We find life in the rocks thousands of feet down, why not thousands of feet up, as well?

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

"Soldiers are citizens of Death's grey land, drawing no dividends from time's tomorrow. They deposit their life blood, their hopes and aspirations into the cauldron of war so that others might draw on that exchange and have lives they could only dream of having."--Siegfried Sassoon