Alright, looking for input from the DIYer's and / or interior designers...
I picked up a 12volt ATV winch along w/ a wireless remote controller from Harbor Freight - Thinking of installing in the attic to be powered by a 12v deep cycle battery on a float charger; would be perfect for the swing and other play.
Out master BR has a nine foot tray ceiling; popcorn texture & decorative molding along the perimeter.
We obviously do not want to advertise...
- Thinking I'd mount the winch about a foot above the ceiling in the attic (well supported by the joist that will also be strengthened by angle iron).
- Have 'something' that is the camouflage part of the system that will be visible and pulled up against the underside of the ceiling.
- I'll use a light duty spring to attach the 'something' to the winch hook; this will allow it to be pulled up taught against the ceiling and also prevent too much pull against the drywall - just use the remote to lower and have access to the cable & hook.
Having trouble coming up with the 'something' that won't look too strange and out of place.
Plan on placing this in a corner area near a door to the back porch; reasoning is it will always be clear of furniture should we re-arrange.
- So far I've come up with: smoke detector, faux interior dome style security camera, or a small decorative medallion.
Problems (I do tend to over-analyze...)
- Smoke detector: already have a hard wired just outside the MB door - look strange to have another nearby?
- Interior dome style camera: If this is to look legit this is not the place in the room I would place it.
- Medallions: Thinking I could place a small medallion in each corner thus making the functional part of the plan. Anyone ever seen medallions in the corners of ceiling (placed a few feet away for the corner) - kinda hoping this is something that has been done from a design point thus not looking bizarre.
My wife has been a lot more adventurous lately but not quite into an open dungeon design...
BTW - I have pilfered this idea from another persons web post; can't remember what they did for the concealment thing - Anyone have a link to this?