Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Ready for the Pitch

Question Your Thanksgiving Plans?

So, U.S. folk, what are your Thanksgiving plans? Will the relatives be coming to your house or you to theirs? Will there be turkey or tofurkey? Will it be all harmony, warm conversation and artsy place-settings, or a brawling free-for-all of political arguments with the football game going on the background? Are we talking Norman Rockwell with snow outside, a blazing fireplace, and a patriarch at the head of the table carving the bird...or the Simpsons with everyone nabbing dinner out of the take-out bucket?

Give us a glimpse of what you expect to face this Thursday.

"You don't go up there to fish!"
--Brokeback Mountain
Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.
--Thomas Berger

Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
YoursSINSerely
Beach Fried Boobs

Right now, I have no plans to go anywhere or have anyone come here. My biggest plans are to bag up the leaves and pick up the sticks in the back yard. I'm almost looking forward to a quiet peaceful day to myself.

Babs

Something fun to read and fun to wear: Black Satin Stilettos

I'm begging for one more good vote - Please Don't Go Emily

Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

No family coming this years--so we're taking in some singles with no family to go to.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
TheNewKatt
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71plt View Post
No family coming this years--so we're taking in some singles with no family to go to.
That's very nice of you & your wife.

My mother in law does late in the day so I'm going to my church to help serve dinner to the homeless for a while.

Its a good deed and makes me appreciate what I have in life, sometimes its easy to take it for granted and the point of Thanksgiving is to realize what you're thankful for.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

I'm staying home and probably just relaxing.

New Story: Decorations 07/11/14 Incest

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
voluptuary_manque
would-be omnigamist

I'm having eye surgery the Tuesday before so I'm in charge of nothing this year. Dinner will be at mom's and whatever is served is what I'll eat.

No political arguments in our family. We're all pretty much middle-of-the-road.

My stories

Mr. Vanilla Straight Guy--Safe_Bet

Don’t know if I ever told you, but you were the first person I “met” on Lit. You invited me into Molly’s thread and made me feel at home. I really appreciated that. You also prolly know more about the “doings” of our family than just about anybody else on Lit. That’s cuz you care and are appreciated for being you.--posthumous message from Safe_Bet. And I still care and I still love her. Rest in the Light, Suzy.

You poor, deluded bear--glynndah

"Soldiers are citizens of Death's grey land, drawing no dividends from time's tomorrow. They deposit their life blood, their hopes and aspirations into the cauldron of war so that others might draw on that exchange and have lives they could only dream of having."--Siegfried Sassoon

Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
PennLady
Literotica Guru

We'll head down to my in-laws on T-day, back probably on Sunday. Should be a nice change of scenery, and my kids can fight over spending time with my SIL. I will studiously avoid any political conversations b/c I am much more liberal-leaning than they are. And my in-laws are in their late 70s with various health problems, so I don't feel it's worth arguing (most times).

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
MSTarot
Literotica Guru

Lets see... 50 mile drive to my mom's for lunch, then a 50 mile back plus 20 more trip to the in-laws for dinner. Then home after dark.

My best hope is not to move the damn car till Monday morning after that.

Get some yard work done then, sit down in front of the computer and try to finish up about five stories that are sitting in purgatory on my hard drive.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
And my in-laws are in their late 70s with various health problems, so I don't feel it's worth arguing (most times).
Depends. Do they have good life insurance policies and who's the beneficiary? (*sorry* )

Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!

Family members are trekking down to NYC to see the Macy's parade. I'm not going because I don't like parades.

At 4 there will be a large gathering for festing.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Depends. Do they have good life insurance policies and who's the beneficiary? (*sorry* )
LOL I'm guessing yes on the first part but couldn't really say on the second.

It's one of those things where it's just not worth arguing when we're there -- and it raises my BP as well. So I figure I'm just looking after my own health.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
LOL I'm guessing yes on the first part but couldn't really say on the second.

It's one of those things where it's just not worth arguing when we're there -- and it raises my BP as well. So I figure I'm just looking after my own health.
A couple of days ago, I had the joy of informing one of my Libertarian cousins that his name translates in Old English as "tax collector" (something I learned on a recent vacation there). So, relatives can give you a little fun now and then.

Last edited by sr71plt : 11-18-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
A couple of days ago, I had the joy of informing one of my Libertine cousins that his name translates in Old English as "tax collector" (something I learned on a recent vacation there). So, relatives can give you a little fun now and then.
I don't need fun. Just a break from the kids.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
I don't need fun. Just a break from the kids.
Move to Europe and leave them in the States. That's what I did and it worked a charm--for both us and them. (We made enough money to get them through the unversity and set up and they learned enough independence to not show up on our doorstep looking for a place to live.)

Last edited by sr71plt : 11-17-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
TE999
How 'bout a kiss, baby

We have reservations for a Thanksgiving buffet at one of the local resorts; a veritable groaning board of Thanksgiving delicacies from soups to desserts with an excellent selection of wines to wash it all down.

Never be led astray into the paths of virtue.

Artists are misunderstood. Not by people, but by themselves.

Life is but active anguish in a context of flux.

"Popularity is not whether people like you, it's how many people would like you to like them." Anon.

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens)

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." Ambrose Bierce

"When my ugly ol' car won't climb the hill, I'll write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill." 'Heavy Fuel' Dire Straits

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun ..." 'Only the Good Die Young' Billy Joel

TE's stories: http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #16
Trinique_Fire
Mommy's Girl

A bullshit free holiday this year!!!

AmeriCorps Service Member 2009-2010

...there are times I'm not the woman you imagine me to be...when I'm just a girl who needs...and my need is deep, profound, and overpowering to the point of confusion and insecurity and all I know is the girl I am touching and all I want is to touch more and all I can do is give in...is surrender...~Vail

"Part of being a minority is living with the majorities will no matter how it may be imposed on you. With that comes having to 'take what you can get' in order to make any advancement. Advancement to the exact same rights and personal freedoms you've had since birth and which are still to this day denied to us because we love differently."

Last edited by Trinique_Fire : 11-18-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
loquere
Tell me a joke

Smile

Turkey rabbit ribs Mac cheese potatoes and all good things. Good things except the I laws disturbing me peace.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Move to Europe and leave them in the States. That's what I did and it worked a charm--for both us and them. (We made enough money to get them through the unversity and set up and they learned enough independence to not show up on our doorstep looking for a place to live.)
I'm hardly going to leave my two kids, who are eight and four, and go abroad. I don't need that much of a break.

And speaking as someone whose parents stayed in the States and raised me and my brother -- you can teach independence that way too. Neither my brother nor I expects handouts from our parents. Nor does my husband or his sisters expect it from their parents. So, it can be done when everyone's in the same country.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
edgerider
Really Really Experienced

Spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at the local Salvation Army Kitchen

Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
I'm hardly going to leave my two kids, who are eight and four, and go abroad. I don't need that much of a break.
Well, of course, you can't leave them behind at that age. When ours were that age we took them with us to places with full-time maid service and nannies.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Well, of course, you can't leave them behind at that age. When ours were that age we took them with us to places with full-time maid service and nannies.
I honestly am not sure if you're kidding there or not. If not, well, good for you. If yes, hahaahha.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
I honestly am not sure if you're kidding there or not. If not, well, good for you. If yes, hahaahha.
I'm serious. And it was planned. I was raised (until high school) overseas, where people still had maids. And when it came around to my turn, I took a job that took me overseas and that paid well too (and where we could have full-time help). I wanted to keep my kids out of the States until high school--and it has made a huge difference in terms of their world view and attitudes toward life.

When they were in college and the job called to go overseas, we left them with paid-up apartments and tuition bills and money to live on and a car each. And the differentials and danger pay we earned for living/workng overseas made it all a wash.

(And, no, it didn't happen on inherited money, so Mr.Swiftboater needn't even start to gear up for that. We both worked our asses off.)

Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
I'm serious. And it was planned. I was raised (until high school) overseas, where people still had maids. And when it came around to my turn, I took a job that took me overseas and that paid well too (and where we could have full-time help). I wanted to keep my kids out of the States until high school--and it has made a huge difference in terms of their world view and attitudes toward life.

When they were in college and the job called to go overseas, we left them with paid-up apartments and tuition bills and money to live on and a car each. And the differentials and danger pay we earned for living/workng overseas made it all a wash.

(And, no, it didn't happen on inherited money, so Mr.Swiftboater needn't even start to gear up for that. We both worked our asses off.)
Well again, good for you and congratulations. I'm glad it worked for you. These aren't options for us.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Ah yes, Thanksgiving.

Where you give everyone the bird and they thank you for it.

New Story: Decorations 07/11/14 Incest

Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad

Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
Cruel2BKind
Things Fall Apart

We have to celebrate it at my mom's side of the family as well as my dad's.

At my dad's side of the family, it's a pretty standard 'traditional' affair. We eat a whole lot of turkey, stuffing, cranberries and pie while the dudes watch football and everyone else talks about politics. My mother and I are both bleeding-heart commie democrats so we have to keep our mouths shut during the whole politics thing.

My mom's side of the family is always more interesting and diverse. Two vegetarians, two vegans and a crazy lesbian cousin with her string of odd girlfriends keeps things interesting. Also, no turkey.

It's pretty hit-and-miss. On one hand, the succotash from two years ago tasted like dog barf. But the pesto and artichoke dip from last year was to die for.

These be my stories, if you be interested!

Most are gay male, though I have two that are straight, and one that is a How to.

I tend to go for the darker stuff... But people seem to like it okay!