Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > General Board

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
blobfish
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpiderMan View Post
So how does the Affordable Care Act violate that?
It forces Catholic healthcare providers to pay for contraception.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
eyer

Who is John Galt?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #28
warrior queen
off-centre

100% chance?

Doesn't work.

It can only be either a 99% chance at most, or 100% certainty.

You're welcome.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
- unknown

Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #29
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyer View Post
Who is John Galt?
Someone made up by a welfare queen.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #30
badbabysitter
Vault Girl

Yay, a group that has sheltered pedophiles for generations is standing up for its principles!

Yay!

" I thank God for my stupidity" ---- eyer

" In my world females are 2nd rate humans " --- JAMESBJOHNSON

"I would rape badbabysitter for being such a pussy about being raped." ---Lancecastor

"All that matters is we agree with Lt that this survey shows men are morally superior to women, but there is nothing misogynistic about that." --- bronzeage

"The natural order of things is for women to quit work and do the dishes." ---LT

Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #31
mercury14
Pragmatic Metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobfish View Post
LOL no it doesn't. Not even a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion; or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
There's nothing in the Catholic faith about providing insurance for employees. If they find that insurance is something incompatible with their religion then they simply shouldn't buy it.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
SgtSpiderMan
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobfish View Post
Simply not true.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
koalabear
~Armed and Fuzzy~

"Almost all health insurers will be forced to include those 'services' in the health policies they write. And almost all individuals will be forced to buy that coverage as a part of their policies," said Alexander Sample, Bishop of Marquette, Mich., in one of the letters read to local Catholics. The rule doesn't apply to houses of worship, but does apply to church-affiliated hospitals, colleges, and social service agencies.

Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama's secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), has said the move "strikes the appropriate balance between respecting religious freedom and increasing access to important preventive services."

She made that statement while announcing the "interim final rule" on Jan. 20. She said the rule, while allowing some exceptions and giving church-linked institutions a year from Aug. 1 to comply, is designed to ensure that women have access to birth control without co-pays or a deductible.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...-birth-control

Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #34
Sean

Let the Catholic church fuck off back to the sixteenth century where they belong.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
ms_ann_thrope
destiny's child

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
What it means LadyV is that the founders did not want an American Charles Beckett whispering policy into the ear of the President and the government of the United States. It does not mean that all religion be banned from public places or discourse. If it did, the painting on the Capitol rotunda wouldn't exist, the Ten Commandments wouldn't be carved in stone opposite the justices of the Supreme Court, the Congress wouldn't be opened with a prayer everyday, and our money wouldn't say "in God we trust."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVer View Post
Vette, the OP was about healthcare and the Catholic's Church against the ACA. Personally, I'm for complete separation of church and state and I'm a Christian.
There is a huge and clear distinction between separation of Church and State and separation of Religion and Politics. One is essential. One is impossible.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
vetteman
Forged In Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury14 View Post
LOL no it doesn't. Not even a little bit.

There's nothing in the Catholic faith about providing insurance for employees. If they find that insurance is something incompatible with their religion then they simply shouldn't buy it.
There's nothing in there about providing education either but most of the colleges and universities in America were originally started by clergy.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #37
vetteman
Forged In Fire

Quote:
Vette, the OP was about healthcare and the Catholic's Church against the ACA. Personally, I'm for complete separation of church and state and I'm a Christian.
Me too. I'm especially in favor of the separation of government from religion. Religious organizations, no matter what their lawful endeavor in the private sector, ought not have religious principles contravened by government edict in their day to day operations, or be otherwise put upon by their government in ways that dissolve their right to the "free exercise" of their religious beliefs. To do otherwise it seems to me is a violation of the First Amendment on its face.

That's not to say that Justice Roberts for instance isn't capable of searching out a penumbra in the Constitution that allows the government to burn the pious at the stake for violating Obama care, and thus reordering my understanding.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
julybaby04
...a moment closer...

It will be interesting to see what the government does when the mandate forces the muslims to provide something that is against what they stand for.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #39
miles
No Tolerance For Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by julybaby04 View Post
It will be interesting to see what the government does when the mandate forces the muslims to provide something that is against what they stand for.
Make 'em eat pork.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
renard_ruse
Support Donbas freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
If the election affirms the Obama administration’s HHS mandate, there is a 100 percent chance that there will be civil disobedience in the Catholic Church, led by its bishops. Whether jail will follow is anyone’s guess...
Obviously, the first step is to challenge it in the courts on First Amendment grounds.

However, failing this, I hope they follow through with peaceful refusal to implement the provisions that violate their religious beliefs. I think that even liberal post-modern Americans will recoil when peaceful dissenters and clergy are thrown in prison simply for following reasonable tenants of their beliefs. It may wake Americans up.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #41
SgtSpiderMan
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by renard_ruse View Post
Obviously, the first step is to challenge it in the courts on First Amendment grounds.

However, failing this, I hope they follow through with peaceful refusal to implement the provisions that violate their religious beliefs. I think that even liberal post-modern Americans will recoil when peaceful dissenters and clergy are thrown in prison simply for following reasonable tenants of their beliefs. It may wake Americans up.
Why put them in jail? I'm sure financial fines will work better.

Again, what does this have to do with religion?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #42
EbonyFire77
Really Experienced

Quote:
Here, here.

In addition, I think the Church had it coming to them anyway for getting into bed with the government. NO religious institution-- Hindu, Jew, Christian, whatever-- should be taking money from the government, ever. The minute you do that is the minute you decide to abide by their expectations. The bishops also originally supported the health mandate, and they're now going to go through a lot of the same issues the Protestant churches went through with the Bush handouts to faith-based organizations.

I say every religion should be able to be as it is and not be taxed, as they are religious institutions and not businesses. But they need to keep a far distance from the government.