Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Editor's Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
HandsInTheDark
Virgin
 
HandsInTheDark is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not relevant
Posts: 16
Editing oddity involving italics

I submitted "Becoming Marie..." a week or so back, as an .rtf. I've just noticed that almost everywhere italics was used, the italics vanished and the spaces on either side of the italicized section are gone. So if 'told' was in italics, as in "I *told* him to be careful." It became "Itoldhim to be careful."

It's still readable, but it really messes up the sense of a few sentences. How do I fix?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
sr71plt
Literotica Guru
 
sr71plt's Avatar
 
sr71plt is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 34,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsInTheDark View Post
I submitted "Becoming Marie..." a week or so back, as an .rtf. I've just noticed that almost everywhere italics was used, the italics vanished and the spaces on either side of the italicized section are gone. So if 'told' was in italics, as in "I *told* him to be careful." It became "Itoldhim to be careful."

It's still readable, but it really messes up the sense of a few sentences. How do I fix?
I just cut and paste into the submission box with the italics coded (<i> and </i>). Works a charm. Sometimes the simplist approaches are the best.
__________________
______________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 45,448
I follow the same method SR uses without any problems.

You can submit an edit to fix the story. Just add the italics codes and c/p the document into the submissions box. Then add EDIT behind the title. You can check your italics by clicking preview. If everything looks right, send it through. If not, you can make more corrections and check it again.
__________________
. . .

A Little Girl's Legacy by JaeLynn Topper

Pay It Forward ~ by JaeLynn Topper (begins halfway down the page)

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
SydneyBlake
Literotica Guru
 
SydneyBlake's Avatar
 
SydneyBlake is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 854
That's how I post, too, using cut-and-paste and coding for the italics.

This is a good way to discipline yourself to use italics sparingly, btw.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
RedMonkeyButt
Literotica Guru
 
RedMonkeyButt's Avatar
 
RedMonkeyButt is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Great Nation of Texas
Posts: 1,107
When I submitted Succubus Rising I submitted it as .rtf and had no issues with the italics that I've seen, and I have entire chunks of the story in italics. I put a note in the notes box to keep all formatting. I don't know if that would have made a difference for you.

However, I think if any subsequent submissions have italics in them, I will use the method mentioned above and code them into a copy/pasted document. Getting Succubus Rising into one document and send it as .rtf was a pain...
__________________
You never know how strong you can be, until being strong is the only choice you have.
Soon, nobody'll believe you even existed.
Honey badger doesn't give a shit!
My Stories | AH profile | SRP Profile
How long can you pretend to be perfectly happy before someone starts seeing the cracks?
The FAWCking authors have been revealed! Did you guess them right?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
HandsInTheDark
Virgin
 
HandsInTheDark is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Not relevant
Posts: 16
The story in question is much too big for the submit text box. (And I certainly don't want to cut it into little pieces). I'm assume that sticking <i> in the .rtf files will work, for my next story.

I'm just startled that it's necessary. I assumed there was an automated .rtf=>HTML tool in use to convert stories over, and that it could get this right. (If I remember, World can do this with a single Save As). Maybe not?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsInTheDark View Post
The story in question is much too big for the submit text box. (And I certainly don't want to cut it into little pieces). I'm assume that sticking <i> in the .rtf files will work, for my next story.

I'm just startled that it's necessary. I assumed there was an automated .rtf=>HTML tool in use to convert stories over, and that it could get this right. (If I remember, World can do this with a single Save As). Maybe not?
I don't think there's a limit to what fits in the box. I've pasted 10-20k word stories and I'm sure others have done longer ones.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
_Lynn_
Literotica Guru
 
_Lynn_'s Avatar
 
_Lynn_ is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 45,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennLady View Post
I don't think there's a limit to what fits in the box. I've pasted 10-20k word stories and I'm sure others have done longer ones.
I'm not aware of a word limit for the submission box either.
__________________
. . .

A Little Girl's Legacy by JaeLynn Topper

Pay It Forward ~ by JaeLynn Topper (begins halfway down the page)

My Page
My Blog
FAWC 2 Winner

Kink Bingo
Romance Bingo

  Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
AsylumSeeker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
There really isn't a word limit. Text files are small anyway.

What I did was do a search of the web for "html codes" and easily got a list of them. The only ones I use are italics, <i> and </i>, and centering <center> and </center>

The other option is to submit as a file to preserve formatting. There's a caution that the approval time will be longer. Never done it myself so I cannot comment on this method.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
elfin_odalisque
Literotica Guru
 
elfin_odalisque's Avatar
 
elfin_odalisque is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: if I'm not all there, I must be here.
Posts: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumSeeker View Post
There really isn't a word limit. Text files are small anyway.

What I did was do a search of the web for "html codes" and easily got a list of them. The only ones I use are italics, <i> and </i>, and centering <center> and </center>

The other option is to submit as a file to preserve formatting. There's a caution that the approval time will be longer. Never done it myself so I cannot comment on this method.
From early experience, I think c/p with html is much more likely to preserve formatting than submitting a Word file.
__________________
Elfin's Emissions
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.