Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Poetry Feedback & Discussion > Poets' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Smile 20 Questions: A Confessional Poetry Challenge

aka: Truth or Dare without the Dare

Every day for 20 days, a new question. Write your answer in this thread, truthfully, as a poem (feel free to suck, just suck honestly)

Some of the best poets around have difficulty with confessional type poetry. Some people hate to read it, but when done well, it can be an invitation to readers to see themselves in others. I just finished a poem a day challenge, and am in the midst of Survivor, and while they are both good challenges, I thought something that focused on inspiring the writer to look inward and not try to fit into a set form or trigger would be a welcome change.

These do NOT have to be belly button lint picking poems. The questions do not have to be serious or reflective. Feel free to get ridiculous.

I will post the first question tomorrow am.


Rules:

Anyone who is interested in participating can feel free jump in at any time. It would be cool to challenge yourself to do all 20, but it is by no means required. If you miss a day, no sweat, come back and do it later. Or not.

Anyone who participates can send me a question to use. Just pm it to me and I will post them in the order that they come.

Please feel free to use an alt if you are more comfortable doing so.

Feel free to go off on tangents in your poetry in this thread. Just let the question inspire you to write something.

Feel free. How many times did I say that in this post? Like Jellybeans in a jar.


Confession #1:Inspired by the lame Facebook questionnaires...I saw a poet's responses, and thought, damn, I wish he would write a poem for each of his answers...maybe I can get him to come over and join us


Questions so far:
Premature Question: What about baby poop?
Question 1: Whats the closest thing to you that's red?
Question #2: Given the chance to go back again, would you still kiss the first person you kissed?
QUESTION #3: Have you ever prayed?
Question #4: When was the first* time you saw your mother** cry?
Question #5: Where was your face before you washed it this morning?
Question #6 Explain the circumstances surrounding the last time you genuinely laughed at yourself.
Question #7: Do you believe in ghosts*?
Question #8: What makes you look twice at another person?
Question #9: Who* was hanging on your wall as a child**?
Question #10 I wanna know: "Have you ever seen the rain comin' down on a summer day?"
Question #11: How was it the first time you were naked in front of others outside your immediate family?
Question #12: Have you ever won a prize based purely on chance?
Question #13: Is a dozen usually enough?
Question #14: If you could rename yourself, what possible names would you choose?
Question #15: What color is your crayon?
Question #17: Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
Why do stars fall out of the sky, every time you walk by?
Why do fools fall in love?
Question #18 Tell me, why did you lie?
Question #16: What happened to 16?
Question #19: If you could have dinner with any 1-3 people (living or not) who would you invite?
Question #20:What is your worst fear? Phobia? Nighmare?What would be in your Room 101?
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here

Last edited by annaswirls : 05-26-2009 at 02:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 24,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
aka: Truth or Dare without the Dare

Every day for 20 days, a new question. Write your answer in this thread, truthfully, as a poem (feel free to suck, just suck honestly)

Some of the best poets around have difficulty with confessional type poetry. Some people hate to read it, but when done well, it can be an invitation to readers to see themselves in others. I just finished a poem a day challenge, and am in the midst of Survivor, and while they are both good challenges, I thought something that focused on inspiring the writer to look inward and not try to fit into a set form or trigger would be a welcome change.

These do NOT have to be belly button lint picking poems. The questions do not have to be serious or reflective. Feel free to get ridiculous.

I will post the first question tomorrow am.


Rules:

Anyone who is interested in participating can feel free jump in at any time. It would be cool to challenge yourself to do all 20, but it is by no means required. If you miss a day, no sweat, come back and do it later. Or not.

Anyone who participates can send me a question to use. Just pm it to me and I will post them in the order that they come.

Please feel free to use an alt if you are more comfortable doing so.

Feel free to go off on tangents in your poetry in this thread. Just let the question inspire you to write something.

Feel free. How many times did I say that in this post? Like Jellybeans in a jar.


Confession #1:Inspired by the lame Facebook questionnaires...I saw a poet's responses, and thought, damn, I wish he would write a poem for each of his answers...maybe I can get him to come over and join us
If we're thinking of the same poet on Facebook, I'd be willing to bug him, too.
__________________
Misterioso

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
If we're thinking of the same poet on Facebook, I'd be willing to bug him, too.
Good girl. Perhaps the first question should be: What does your babies poop tell you about life?
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 24,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
Good girl. Perhaps the first question should be: What does your babies poop tell you about life?
I'll email him tonight. And I got an idea for that first one amazingly fast. But I have to go make dinner first. You always have the best challenge ideas.
__________________
Misterioso

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Tzara
Dandy
 
Tzara's Avatar
 
Tzara is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 6,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
Good girl. Perhaps the first question should be: What does your babies poop tell you about life?
That question would necessarily leave out those of us without children, y'know.

I 'spose I could make things up, but that wouldn't be confessional, now, would it?
__________________
The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.
—Dante Gabriel Rossetti
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 24,327
Everything is sacred
that comes from my babies
is a notion sorely tested
by diapers, leaky and stinky
in the middle of the mall,
in the middle of two wipes
left I learn that Murphy's law
is real. But that's ok.
I can love a smelly baby
even when it's so bad
that other mommies look at us
and speak in the fractured code
of weary women everywhere:
"Poop. Bad day."

You used to glare at me
as I changed those awful diapers,
wiped the tender bottoms
clean, smeared the Desitin,
powdered my angels
to a pink dusty promise
of evercare, forever mine,
and tell me that life
"is a shit sandwich."

I loved every pungent moment
of those distant years,
but I couldn't love that,
and you couldn't
understand why.
__________________
Misterioso

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
champagne1982
Dangerous Liaison
 
champagne1982's Avatar
 
champagne1982 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzara View Post
That question would necessarily leave out those of us without children, y'know.

I 'spose I could make things up, but that wouldn't be confessional, now, would it?
Plus it implies more than one baby pooping.


Could I call them mine though each umbilicus
be saved by another? Their curdy produce
filling tiny diapers until the day cow's milk
passes ribbon pink bows and fattens cheeks
already wholesome with mother's sweet
kisses. Precious poops to fill diapers
tossed away even as the child learns to toddle.
__________________
Get Carrie'd away.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
The_Fool
smiling for the camera
 
The_Fool's Avatar
 
The_Fool is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,516
Tasked by a willful mother
with an imperfect body,
still he fills a hole
I'd found dug in my life
with peace.
Even though
evenings graced by his presence
are sometimes scented,
good to know that he finds
comfort and peace enough
to relax,
do his business.
Painful though it is,
a requirement of life.
No problem doing the paperwork.
Sending him home,
that one dreaded task complete,
a sense of satisfaction
tinted by sorrow.
__________________
Foolish Rants Redux

saying something foolish


Writing poetry is kind of like being a husband. You have to learn when to shut up and call it done.

Last edited by The_Fool : 05-01-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Word choice. Ange cracked the editor whip. She was wearing thigh high leather boots too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Question #1

oh my eager little beavers!!! I was kidding about the baby poop! You are all too good to be true.

You can count baby poo as #1 (no comment)
OR you can do this one as #1 (or you can do both and skip a later one.

REAL first question:

QUESTION #1 Whats the closest thing to you that's red?

(okay you can lie about this one, I mean, some of you can, those who live together, ee/Ange; Charly/Lauren are at a disadvantage here. You can do what is the closest thing to you that is red and interesting enough to write a poem about )
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here

Last edited by annaswirls : 05-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzara View Post
That question would necessarily leave out those of us without children, y'know.

I 'spose I could make things up, but that wouldn't be confessional, now, would it?
oh goodness, it was not really the first question. Now shush and find something red.

ps before I eat you in the elevator, I will let you change Harrison's diaper so you can experience it first hand before being swallowed whole
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
this is wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fool View Post
Tasked by a willful mother
with an imperfect body,
still he fills a hole
I'd found dug in my life
with peace.
Even though
evenings graced by his presence
are sometimes scented,
good to know that he finds
comfort and peace enough
to relax,
do his business.
Painful though it is,
a requirement of life.
No problem doing the paperwork.
Sending him home,
that one dreaded task complete,
a sense of satisfaction
tinted by sorrow.
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
ew! let's stick to public breastfeeding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne1982 View Post
Plus it implies more than one baby pooping.


Could I call them mine though each umbilicus
be saved by another? Their curdy produce
filling tiny diapers until the day cow's milk
passes ribbon pink bows and fattens cheeks
already wholesome with mother's sweet
kisses. Precious poops to fill diapers
tossed away even as the child learns to toddle.
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
you just made me cry a little


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post

I loved every pungent moment
of those distant years,
but I couldn't love that,
and you couldn't
understand why.
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
loss of cabin pressure

"Service Above Self"
on my desk: the Rotary's motto
in bold, red letters.

Still I cannot help but remember
her words:
make sure your mask is secure
before helping your child

She stood by me and repeated these
instructions. Three children?
make sure you can breathe first.
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 24,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
you just made me cry a little
Thank you. You touched something in me when you suggested the topic; it just was waiting to come out. Every baby poop can inspire when the time is right, I guess.

And on another note, that av is hysterical and Harrison is beautiful. He looks like a little Christopher Robin in that pic.
__________________
Misterioso

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #16
Tzara
Dandy
 
Tzara's Avatar
 
Tzara is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 6,056
Nevermind.
__________________
The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful and has nobody to thank.
—Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Last edited by Tzara : 05-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
Angeline
Poet Chick
 
Angeline's Avatar
 
Angeline is offline
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 24,327
Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberries macerated
in the tall glass at my elbow.
They pink the water and ice,
a squeeze of lemon and presto:
a taste of summer even
though May here feels like March
anywhere else. I do a lot
of pretending these days,
trees are greener
than they are, really. Days
are shorter but years
are way too fast, even
in my imagination.
__________________
Misterioso

Poems
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #18
denis hale
Really Really Experienced
 
denis hale's Avatar
 
denis hale is offline
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 415
Trioliaison

ha! I found da place



COME UPPANCE

Once upon a time I used bedroom eyes,
long lashes and rose-colored contacts, for effect
--while my warm hand might part a barmaid's thighs,
I used Time in her bed, made a roomful of eyes.
Ego is Time's keyhole, transmitting voyeurs' sighs.
Years go by, eyes betray. Maids arrive, to collect:
"There's a price to pay," they say, "for bedroom lies."
Oh, their insistent lashes, --long, rosy contact. Affect.
__________________

Last edited by denis hale : 05-02-2009 at 05:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
tungtied2u
Not necessary
 
tungtied2u's Avatar
 
tungtied2u is offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In memories
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
Good girl. Perhaps the first question should be: What does your babies poop tell you about life?
She was just over one,
on a Christmas trip
home to America, to see family
the first time
for the new addition

She was walking
before we left,
but crawling
by the time we arrived,
unsettled

she wouldn't eat
except for the egg roll at the mall
and poop,
i would have paid to see some

instead, i stood, holding her little bottom
encouraging her as she strained
and tears streamed from both our eyes
hers from exertion,
mine from heartache

as she pushed white granite pebbles
from within her tiny frame,
each one agony, and hard fought

i prayed for a return
to the days of savory mustard paste
spread like an overzealous baseball fan
on a warm summer's day
__________________
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.... HH The Dalai Lama

The world is too dangerous for anything but truth and too small for anything but love.....William Sloane Coffin
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
Liar
now with 17% more class
 
Liar's Avatar
 
Liar is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 8th floor
Posts: 37,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
REAL first question:

Whats the closest thing to you that's red?
What can be closer
than the tangy taste of iron
after twenty flights of stairs?

A heat that bursts from behind
eyes, that fills a desperate purpose
when unexpected lips edge closer
and whisper tales of a night to come.

A silent dread that flows from the cleanest
of cuts and drips astonished from elbow
to white tiles, before steel clatters, blade
against kitchen sink, and I spin
from site to side, scan for salvation,
tissues, faucet.

How can anything be closer to my heart,
than being inside?
__________________
stuf...mor stuf
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #21
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Ange, Dennis, ttu, Liar, you totally rock (yes, I got that line off a Hallmark commercial)
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #22
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Question #2

Question #2: Given the chance to go back again, would you still kiss the first person you kissed?
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here

Last edited by annaswirls : 05-02-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: making the questions huge for scrollers
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
annaswirls
Pointy?
 
annaswirls's Avatar
 
annaswirls is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: on edge
Posts: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzara View Post
Nevermind.
hey, get back here, there is strawberry lemonade and everything!
__________________
.

"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." Bertrand Russell

here
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
WickedEve
save an apple, eat eve
 
WickedEve's Avatar
 
WickedEve is offline
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 11,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post

first question:

Whats the closest thing to you that's red?
Not so much this shot glass
of blood in my eye but sun's
tattooed tentacles,
sprawling over breast, like a peacock
for pale areola.
__________________
~
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #25
WickedEve
save an apple, eat eve
 
WickedEve's Avatar
 
WickedEve is offline
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 11,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaswirls View Post
Question #2: Given the chance to go back again, would you still kiss the first person you kissed?
They walked Daytona sand,
with Papa behind
every beach umbrella, in waves
around their feet, hidden in pails
and shoveled castles.
The kiss

happened in mid step and she never missed
a step -- onward girl,
with summer moth on her lips.
He planted moths

on the mouth of a flame,
flickering. Then she burned
her way home, with seashell-
shocked Papa
and moist wings on her skin.
__________________
~
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.