Well, it's that time again - time for the First Annual How-To Essay Contest. Oh wait, it's the first one - so maybe it's not that time "again" but it's definitely that time, at least. Consider this post to be our How-To on the How-To Contest.
We're not 100% sure how readers will respond to this contest. As you probably know, some of the existing How-To articles are extremely popular (think "oral sex") and some of them are not as popular (think "self sternum piercing"). While it's true with all contests to some degree, the essays here will probably be judged as much on topic as content/quality. With that in mind, please don't feel too disheartened if you submit a brilliant essay on how to overclock a dual core Pentium (while naked) and you end up losing out to a half-hearted essay on self-sucking. We have it on good authority that many famous authors have suffered similar fates. But enough about Shakespeare's early days - back to the How-To Contest. Here are all the juicy bits:
You can discuss, brainstorm, and commiserate at Ogg's discussion thread here
We will accept entries starting on May 14
, and we will stop accepting contest entries on June 6
. We will announce the 3 winners on June 12
. This contest will coexist with the usual monthly contest. Stories may only win one or the other, not both contests simultaneously.
for the monthly contests are in place. The only exceptions to the rules are:
- Authors who have won in our monthly contests within the last 6 months are eligible for this special contest. However, if you have won a prize in another special/theme contest within the last 6 months, you are not eligible for this one. For example, if you took first runner up in the Earth Day contest, you won't be eligible to win a prize in this contest (though you are free to submit and participate).
- A story has only to accrue 25 votes to be eligible, rather than the 50 required for the monthly contest.
The following rules also apply:
- All contest stories must be submitted via our online form. If you are a WebTV user or have difficulty with the form, follow the instructions here.
- Author must put the phrase "HOW-TO CONTEST 2006" in the "Notes" field of the submission.
- Your piece must be submitted into the How-To category, and must be a How-To essay. That is, your submission must be instructional, not a story. All topics are acceptable provided they fall within Literotica Submission Guidelines. We will not accept How-To submissions that teach people how to do acts that are illegal in the United States. Pieces submitted to "How-To" that do not fit the category will be rejected. Work submitted to categories other than "How-To" will not be entered into the contest.
Any story that meets the above criteria will be automatically entered into the contest, and winners will be decided by reader input (aka votes). The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those awarded in the monthly contests:
First Place: $150 Cash Prize
Second Place: $100 Cash Prize
Third Place: $75 Cash Prize
: Once your story is submitted, it may take 72 hours for it to be posted. We strongly suggest that you do not wait till the last day of the contest to submit your story. The sooner you submit, the better chance your story has of accruing the votes necessary to be eligible.
As always, any cheating will result in disqualification of the story. We reserve the right to disqualify any story/author for any reason at any time.
Good luck, and have fun!