New Challenge

After the Critique challenge and the Gun Fight I challenge PoBos to compose a poem to their 20 year old selves. it will be an end-of-April date to be decided in the calm after the storm.

After the Critique challenge and the Gun Fight I challenge PoBos to compose a poem to their 20 year old selves. it will be an end-of-April date to be decided in the calm after the storm.

My twenty year old self would be liable to punching me in the face for unsolicited advise :D

But I'll see if I can get through to the testosterone fuelled idiot that I was :D

I was a WRAF then and doing some pretty crazy stuff, should give me something to work with :D

I like that! I have been meaning to write a Letters/transcripts piece to my kid - advice I wish I had. Haven't quite managed it yet... I wouldn't have listened...

You might as well go ahead before the Gunfight which by the look of it isn't going to happen. There's no interest, perhaps today's members don't think they can write a poem in an hour like the old timers used to.

You might as well go ahead before the Gunfight which by the look of it isn't going to happen. There's no interest, perhaps today's members don't think they can write a poem in an hour like the old timers used to.

Well, that may certainly be true for this member, and on most days that would be problematic for me and the annoying day job and travels.

I'm a peacenik, anyway. ;)

My twenty year old self would be liable to punching me in the face for unsolicited advise :D

But I'll see if I can get through to the testosterone fuelled idiot that I was :D

I think you can manage. lol

Hell, there are days I struggle to write an American Sentence in an hour.

I can sometimes write 10 or more short pieces in an hour using only a single word to start the piece, but that's with no set topic, simple restrictions and it's just for fun, not for judging.

Assign me a sonnet or acrostic or just about any traditional form and I could have days and still not formulate a piece. :(

Plus some of these here poets are intimidating as hell :D

EDIT: Ok I went back and checked it's closer to 5 than 10 quick pieces :eek: Time flies when you're having fun I guess :)

Last edited:

I'm always up for spurs of the moment challenge, but anything but Spring. It's the busiest time on the farm, fixing everything that won't start or that broke during our six month Wisconsin winters. Difficult to say when I'll be available for an hour.

If I do get the time - it would likely be a monday, tuesday or wednesday morning.

Last edited:
I'll have to think about this. My first thought was some sore of "could have, would have should have" take rather than an epistle to my younger self but I'm not sure that is what is intended.

Did you want us to send you the poems by a certain date or just post them in this thread on a date you determine or some other way? Inquiring minds... :eek:

I'll try.

owww poem to our younger self ...or kid??? or both???

I'm game :p

are you sure? there seemed to be some prospective fighters.....:confused:

I'll have to think about this. My first thought was some sore of "could have, would have should have" take rather than an epistle to my younger self but I'm not sure that is what is intended.

At the age of twenty we're set on certain paths. How you choose to talk to your younger self is up to you, regrets, advice, shared experiences.....:)

Did you want us to send you the poems by a certain date or just post them in this thread on a date you determine or some other way? Inquiring minds... :eek:

I'll try.

let's just post them in here to be read and commented on. if required I can start a companion thread.

glad you're giving it a go. :)

owww poem to our younger self ...or kid??? or both???

I'm game :p

Twenty-ish for the reasons I gave Piscator. :)

are you sure? there seemed to be some prospective fighters.....:confused:

Yes go ahead, I'll let my lead balloon sink into oblivion, unless a Mod takes it down for me. Saves me making up a whole new non-rhyming form for it which is what I was going to do. I'll save that for something else in the future maybe.

hehe there is so many different ways to take this challenge ...I know I gots like 50 ideas :p ...almost done with one! ...lol I am curious to see the outcome!

Die With Me

Die With Me

In a wispy winter night
The snows drifted in an ancient memory

A young child
Bearing the innocents of dreams
Dancing amongst the midnight breeze
With the winter snowflakes descending
On that frosty chilled December night

Enchanting the mind
Like fireflies from the sky
Swirling across the streetlights
Shimmering with the gleam of life

As a blessed gift to guide you
Through the darkness of time
The calm peace of beauty
Flickering in faith
Giving way to light and serenity
In a storm of tranquility
When your world is free
Like a child to dream

Give up not
Your innocence
Or your will to be
But
Live to be free
Don’t die with me

With the 2 x blind challenge in progress I'm going to hold off for a bit.

If we're going to be doing the Double Blind challenge regularly, it may be a good idea to just go ahead with other challenges, too. People can do both, and it gives those who aren't interested in critiques another reason to write and participate.

I rather like your idea, and I'm looking forward to this challenge.

Back