Non-english lettering

Giron

Experienced
Does letters like the swedish "å", "ä" and "ö" work here on Lit?
A lot of swedish names include them and I'm writing a domestic story right know.

Or do I need to write/internationalise them as "aa", "ae" and "oe".

Does letters like the swedish "å", "ä" and "ö" work here on Lit?
A lot of swedish names include them and I'm writing a domestic story right know.

Or do I need to write/internationalise them as "aa", "ae" and "oe".

Suggest you PM Laurel, the site editor, for her recommendation.

Are you writing in Swedish or English?

Suggest you PM Laurel, the site editor, for her recommendation.

Are you writing in Swedish or English?

I'll do that. Thanks!

Its in English. Dont think so many can read it otherwise. ;-)

And I actually found it more difficult to write in swedish. I do some mindmapping in it thats all.

I included the occational Swedish dialog in a story. At least å work fine.

I use accents and special characters now and then and they work fine. I use written Chinese now and then and that works fine too. You don't need to pm Laurel on that one.

You can use special characters in the story text.

A word of warning: Not every place where the title and description are displayed will correctly handle special characters. In some places, special characters will come out as nonsense ascii characters when used as part of the title or description line.

Last edited:
I use ASCII codes for special characters such as accents:

Hold down the Alt key and use the NUMBER pad, not the numbers at the top of a keyboard:

Alt Keys

Alt 037 = %
Alt 038 = &
Alt 039 = ‘

Alt 041 = )

Alt 100 = d
Alt 110 = n
Alt 120 = x
Alt 121 = y
Alt 122 = z
Alt 123 = {
Alt 124 = |
Alt 125 = }
Alt 126 = ~
Alt 127 = ⌂
Alt 128 = Ç
Alt 129 = ü

Alt 130 = é Alt 140 = î Alt 150 = û
Alt 131 = â Alt 141 = ì Alt 151 = ù
Alt 132 = ä Alt 142 = Ä Alt 152 = ÿ
Alt 133 = à Alt 143 = Å Alt 153 = Ö
Alt 134 = å Alt 144 = É Alt 154 = Ü
Alt 135 = ç Alt 145 = æ Alt 155 = ø
Alt 136 = ê Alt 146 = Æ Alt 156 = £
Alt 137 = ë Alt 147 = ô Alt 157 = Ø
Alt 138 = è Alt 148 = ö Alt 158 = ×
Alt 139 = ï Alt 149 = ò Alt 159 = ƒ

Alt 160 = á
Alt 161 = í
Alt 162 = ó
Alt 163 = ú
Alt 164 = ñ
Alt 165 = Ñ
Alt 166 = ª
Alt 167 = º
Alt 168 = ¿
Alt 169 = ®
Alt 170 = ¬
Alt 171 = ½
Alt 172 = ¼
Alt 173 = ¡
Alt 174 = «
Alt 175 = »
Alt 176 = ░
Alt 177 = ▒
Alt 178 = ▓

Alt 0191 = ¿
Alt 0246 = ÷

Last edited:
On my Windoze machine I invoke the Character Map app to choose from the character set.

On my Windoze machine I invoke the Character Map app to choose from the character set.

Well thats and ASCII-codes not an issue for me since I'm swedish and use a swedish keyboard with those letters. :)

Laurel said this in a PM "It should be no problem so long as the characters show up in the doc or preview." So I hope she is right.

Well thats and ASCII-codes not an issue for me since I'm swedish and use a swedish keyboard with those letters. :)

Laurel said this in a PM "It should be no problem so long as the characters show up in the doc or preview." So I hope she is right.

She is. I have used French accents repeatedly using the ASCII codes and they show up in the posted stories but they don't always work when reading them on some tablets or phones.

https://www.literotica.com/s/c-r-l-an-circles

If the site can handle names like "Cέrμləa" presumably it can deal with Swedish.

It also has pages in foreign languages, and many stories written entirely in another language. I just checked a few random Spanish stories. I was disappointed in the accuracy of the punctuation in dialogue and the omission of important accents but it was clear that Spanish reversed question mark and accents were possible.

¿Donde esta?

The issue is in the encoding. Depending on various things, stuff is usually either in ISO-8859/ANSI or UTF-8. As long as the browser interprets the page using the encoding that the author (or the author's software) intended, things show fine. If not, the special characters turn to garbage.

The best way to avoid all that uncertainty is to use html escape codes like é for é, but most places like Lit that use text submission boxes will convert the ampersand to its own escape code (&) in order to preserve the text as you typed it.

Back