The King and I (closed)

Sleep came easily as Dave held her close. It had been a long time since she’d slept so peacefully without the stress and strain of her life seeping into her dreams. The sound of a steady buzzer started and she let out a sigh, snuggling closer to the warm body beside her. She shivered as she heard the sound of the wind howling outside the palace and she hated the thought of getting out of bed that morning.

She let out a sigh as Dave slide out of the bed, his cheerful greeting making her turn to her back and rub at her eyes with her fists. She sighed and glanced at him as he stood before his dresser and tried to decide what to wear.

“You shouldn’t have let me stay last night. What would someone think if they walked in and saw me in your bed.” She said in a tone that was both full of accusation and a hint of smugness.
 
"That I have picked a wife already, they just weren't invited to the wedding."

He pulled out a light grey suit and searched for the his green shirt,

"Or that you have gone from friend to mistress..."

He chuckled,

"Of course I would need a wife to have a mistress, so perhaps that will not work."

He shrugged as he found the shirt and on his way to the bathroom, stopped to scratch Max's head which of course gave him a grunt of satisfaction and a thumping tail.

"And you seem like you needed the rest ice princess, you sure you're not part of some lizard alien race from outer space that's seeping into the high positions of the world to take over the planet?"

He grinned as he sat down on the bed, taking her hand and giving the knuckles a kiss.

"I will not send you back to a cold bed after warming up, that would just make you sick. Now I have to prepare for the money monger and his daft daughter."

He got up and headed for the bathroom
 
“Haha, funny guy.” She said sarcastically as he mentioned her going from friend to mistress. She rolled her eyes as he chuckled and teased her, gathering his clothing for the day. “I can assure you that I’m 100% human. No lizard alien blood in me at all.”

She grinned at him as he sat down on the bed and took her hand, giving her knuckles the sweetest kiss. Her cheeks flushed pink under his gaze as he talked about caring for her after she had slipped into his bed last night.

“You know, I can sneak into your bed at night once you’re married. I don’t think your wife would like that.” She called after him as he headed for the bathroom.

Stretching with a satisfied yawn, Charlie moved out of Dave’s warm bed and towards his closet, picking out a tie that would go with the suit that he wore. It put a smile on her face to take care of the little details in his life. A tie might not mean anything to him, but it meant something to her. She was a part of his life as long as she could take care of the minute details.

She glanced up as he came walking back into the room, tugging at his collar. He looked handsome with his hair tousled from the shower and freshly shaved. “Come here.” She said softly, bidding him forward so that she could loop the tie around his neck and tie it just so.

“Please try to be nice to your guests. I don’t want to have to deal with hurt political relations so early in the morning.”
 
He looked at her as she tied his tie, for him it was a very intimate moment, it always brought back the times his mother had done it for him, it reminded him of the times he spent standing next to his father, mimicking his movements as he tied his tie. The moments that Charlotte had spent doing this for him, the slight curve of her lips at the final result and the light in her eyes when she stood back to look at the overall effect. The thought made him smile as well.

"I can be diplomatic, his actions yesterday just pushed me over an edge I did not want to go over."

He brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face,

"You really should wear your hair loose more, you look lovely."

When she was done, he turned to get his comb and looked at his own reflection for a long time. He was to be king. He started to comb his hair and placed the comb down, he looked at Charlotte.

"Thank you Charlie, I will meet you at the breakfast table?"
 
Charlie couldn’t help the small smile that tipped the corners of her lips as he brushed a stray hair out of her face. The fact that he complimented her was even more special and she thought that she could get use to hearing that.

She watched as he combed his hair and she wondered what he thought about when he looked at his own reflection so intently. Did he see himself or the man that he was to become? She hoped that the crown did not change Dave as it did for some other men. When he finished grooming and turned back towards her, she looked at him with surprise and gave him a small smile.

“You couldn’t keep me away.” She said with a laugh as she moved closer to him and flicked a piece of lint off his shoulder. Standing that close to him was torture. He was the man that she wanted and couldn’t have and it completely broke her heart.

“Kiss me, Dave.” She whispered softly, her eyes turning towards his as she wondered for the briefest moment where those words had come from.
 
Her words caught him by surprise, never before had he heard them from her and in a sense he always had wondered why not. He slid his hand to the back of her neck and leaned closer to her. His lips met her own, they felt so soft against his, instinctively his other arm slid around her waist, holding her close to him, he slowly broke the kiss, looking into her eyes, then he kissed a again, a bit firmer this time, giving her the kiss he had wondered about so long ago.
 
Charlie sighed as she felt Dave’s hand cradle her neck and his lips closed in on hers. She whimpered softly as his other arm slid around her waist and pulled her close to his body as the kiss broke and he looked down into her eyes. It was brief, but everything she hoped it would be. She smiled at him and was surprised when he leaned in and kissed her again.

She let her hands rest against his shoulders, her fingers itching to comb through his hair and pull him closer. It was a dangerous game she was playing with him, but the moment was pure heaven. She couldn’t think of anywhere else she’d rather be than in his arms.
 
He held the kiss for as long as they both dared, pulling her ever closer, feeling her soft body pressed against him. As this kiss also came to an end he rested his forehead against her own, his eyes still closed, a small smile on his lips. He finally lifted his head and looked down at her.

"I don't know where that came from, but you have just realized quite a lot of fantasies I had."

Kissing her on the forehead, he wrapped her up in a tight hug,

"I have to run, I will see you a bit later."
 
Disappointment raced through her as he kissed her forehead and wrapped her in a hug. It meant that their little moment would have to end and she didn’t know if there would every be another one again. She sighed deeply and nodded, giving him a small smile as he pulled away to start his day.

As the door clicked behind him, she glanced down at Max who was snoozing on the floor. “Well, Max, this is a mess.” She said to the old dog who immediately started wagging his tail at the sound of his name. “You’d be my Prince Charming, right boy?”

The old dog didn’t even lift his head as his tail thumped against the floor in a rhythm. She laughed softly and snuck from Dave’s apartments, making her way back down to her cold little room to shower and dress for the day. A black suit with a skirt was on order for the day and as she did her makeup, she kept thinking about how Dave liked her hair down.

Did it matter? She stared at her face for a long moment and sighed softly as she decided to leave it down. A swipe of lipstick and she was out the door, her daily schedule tucked beneath her arm as she made her way to the dining room for breakfast.
 
When he made it to the breakfast table, accompanied with a "His royal highness" everybody was there and the usual rising and bowing followed his entrance. He went over to his mother and kissed her cheek,

"Morning mother, I hope you slept well."

After getting her affirmative answer, he went to take his seat, at first he didn't recognize Charlotte with her hair down, he favored her with a smile. Soon breakfast was served and Dave stayed quite civil through the whole affair, buut when breakfast was over he was quite glad to escape to the next meeting
 
They took their meal and ignored the newcomers as best as they could. Charlie watched from her seat as Lucinda tried her best to find something in common with Dave, but it quickly became apparent that there was nothing between the two of them. She could almost see the relief in Dave’s features when breakfast was over and he could escape to his first meeting of the day.

She stayed by his side, silently taking notes as he met with economic advisors and urban planners. She was impressed that he was so well versed on many different subjects. She didn’t think that he cared when his father was on the throne, but it seemed that he had learned well.

She excused herself from lunch and oversaw the men that were setting up the staging area where Dave would give his first speech to his citizens. She made sure that the lighting was just so, that there were fresh flowers on the table behind him, that a photograph of his father was sitting beside those flowers. Again, it was all those little details that no one else would care about that set her above and beyond the rest.

One last meeting with a local charity and Charlotte soon was leading Dave into his chambers yet again. Only this time they were not alone as two men stood ready to measure him for his coronation items.

“I know you hate all this, but if you stand still, it will be over quicker.” Charlie said, taking a seat at his desk as the Queen came in to over see that everything was done correctly.
 
He fidgeted as fingers pulled, prodded, pressed and stroked in their task, he glowered at Charlotte.

"Stand still she says,all over quickly she says, bah humbug I say."

He grinned at her and pulled a face when he had to lift his arms to shoulder length again.

"Just stick me in an old suit of armor and let them sing the songs and pour the oils..."

"Donovan."

He sighed,

"Yes mother."

He tried to stand still and endure it all, then finally they were done and make up artists came rushing in to work their magic. Thankfully it took but a few minutes, he squared his shoulders and tucked the sleeves into position, making sure his clothing was perfect.

"Charlie, the business you discussed is done. Actually was done before breakfast, just forgot to tell you."

He brushed over his tie and walked out of the room, heading for the conference room where the camera crew was waiting. He entered with another "His royal highness" received the bows from the very nervous looking ministers as they had no idea what he was about to say. He took the podium and when the lights came on he gave a relaxed smile.

"Good evening my fellow Gentavians, tonight marks a day in which we will usher in changes. Not only a change on the throne, but also a change in this country. For years I have lived with you and traveled among you. I have heard the problems, the fears, the worries. Already I have made certain that some of these issues have been consulted and addressed."

He glanced at his ministers and they knew of course what he meant by that.

"There is one thing that I wish to say about my future as king, rumors have come to my attention that the monarchy must go and replaced by a democracy. Now I am all for change, but are you sure that is the best solution? I can point to various democracies all over the world, places who are not as prosperous or safe as we are, though they once were. So tonight I want to ask of you, my fellow Gentavians, give me a chance. Two years is what I ask. If in two years you still feel that I am not suited for this we can hold an election and see if the monarchy must come to an end or not."

This caused an uproar and he glared at the people assembled, his eyes two daggers, the uproar calmed down immediately.

"I have been told to honor our traditions, but there is a tradition which are not honored anymore, one that I am reinstating. Having court with the king. Yes that is right, I am giving the citizenry the right to approach me directly while I am in the throne room. That is an old tradition and that is the way it will be after my coronation."

He took a sip of water,

"Now a tradition I wish to overthrow, traditionally the only people eligible for a post on the cabinet had to of noble birth. From today on anybody who is knowledgeable in the field of a post will be able to be voted into office."

He pulled a thin document from his jacket,

"No this is not the rest of my speech, please relax, I am almost done."

He cleared his throat,

"In light of personal and professional sacrifices, in light of going beyond the call of duty and for services rendered to the crown, I want all to witness that on this day I sign the cart and transport of De Leon from holdings of the crown over to Miss Charlotte Weir. The De Leon estate forms a Dutchy and with reception of this estate Miss Charlotte Weir will be exhalted to Dutchess."

He closed the document and placed it on the podium,

"I think that caused quite a tumult in the old circles."

He grinned,

"Thank you for your time, God bless and all hail Gentavia."

The lights switched off and a ruckus erupted, Dave looked bored at everybody shouting and waving their arms. Then shrugged, picked up the folder and walked away from the podium, he met Charlotte on his way to the door and placed the folder on her clipboard, clipping it in place with the clamp.

"Now let's see if I can be a king."

He gave her a gentle smile and passed her, opening the door and leaving the blustering ministers and their aids behind.
 
Charlotte was stunned by the subject of Dave’s speech. It would cause some troubles, but she knew that he had to run the government in his own way. It would bring changes that some would detest while others would embrace wholeheartedly. Leave it to him to make a stir before his coronation had even occurred.

When he made the rest of his announcements, it was a like a bomb had been dropped right in the middle of her life. Standing to the side, she nearly dropped her clipboard as he pronounced that the plot of land she had looked at yesterday was now hers. She was a member of the nobility in her own right.

“Duchess?” She murmured to herself, still so incredibly confused as the speech ended and Dave made his way towards her.

The moment the packet was placed in her hands, she knew why Dave had done what he did. She was titled. She would have some wealth. She was eligible to be married by the king. She trembled at the very thought as he smiled at her and then passed by, his ministers and aids trailing behind him in a loud ruckus.

Opening the packet, she saw that she was indeed now the Duchess de Leon. The little manor house was undergoing extensive renovations in hopes that one day she would make it her home. She couldn’t bring herself to leave the room as she looked through each page of the packet, tears coursing down her features as she saw all the little details that Dave had taken care of just for her.

At dinner that night, it was just the Queen and her son that sat at the table. It was a quiet affair, the light in the room gone and the palace seemed to have returned to normal.

“You made Charlotte cry.” Sophie said diplomatically as they ate, her eyes looking at her son from time to time. “And she went home shortly after your speech. I dare say that you upset the dear girl.”
 
He had missed Charlotte's company after the speech, but he had to deal with his very excited ministers and he had to handle the final details of the royal visitation. He looked at his mother,

"I can see how. I rewarded her for all that she had done for us. She practically offered up her life for us. It's not like we were using the estate, it was in disrepair, I am sure that she will make it a much better place than what it is now."

He took a sip of water and placed his hands next to his plate,

"Do you think I did wrong? Not just with Charlie, but with every change I have made?"
 
Sophie let out a soft sigh and placed her fork on the side of her plate as she regarded her son for a long moment. He still looked so young to her, so unready for such a big task, but she knew that he was trying his best.

“Donovan, you did nothing wrong. You cannot compare yourself to your father in this. He ruled with a different style then you shall.” She said softly, letting him know that what he’d done was alright.

“With Charlotte you must follow what you feel in your heart. If you love her, then go after her, and for God’s sake don’t mess it up.” She said with a smile. “If you feel that she is the one, then you need to tell her and make her believe it.”
 
"Now that is the difficult part. I have been telling her for a very long time, but it seems like she think I have some sort of crush on her."

He sighed,

"Perhaps there is more to say, but we never have the time to say it. And come to think about it, I still need to meet with all the hopeful ladies, I can't really get out of that one easily."

He continued eating,

"How father kept up this pace of working late nights and getting up early in the morning I have no idea."
 
“You’ve been telling her, but have you showed her?” Sophie asked as she watched her son talk about Charlotte. “Donovan, I know that you care for her but maybe you need to start doing small things for her. I mean, giving her the duchy was very night, but what about flowers?”

Laughing, Sophie shook her head when he spoke about his father. “Your father was a very driven man. I can see that same drive in you. Take this at your own pace and do not think that you have to bow to others.”

She looked across the table at him as he raised his eyes towards her. “You know, when your father was courting me, he would show up at my home at all hours. I was always so excited to see him. Perhaps Charlotte would be the same.”
 
He stopped chewing and looked at his mother, swallowing he raised an eyebrow of his own,

"I take it he was not yet king when he courted you."

He motioned at the guards and courtier,

"I can't go anywhere without a royal highness or at least six guards...but if I do order the guards to leave me be..."

He gave his mother his patented mischievous grin,

"Now why haven't I thought of that? Mom you're a genius."

He quickly finished the last bite on his plate,

"I think I'll go keep the duchess Weir de Leon out of her bed a few minutes longer. Without ten cars following me."

He got up went over to his mother and hugged her tightly,

"I think I have seen a winter rose bush in bloom, a rose will be fitting."

He kissed her cheek and headed for the door, he paused at the guards,

"Guard my mother, I will be back later on and don't even dare to follow me."

Departing the room he headed for the inner garden, there stood a winter rose bush, the white roses tinted with a faint blue on the edges. Carefully stripping the thorns from one rose, he plucked it from the bush and then headed for the garage, it's been far too long since he had driven his motorbike, but with the icy roads he got into one of the black SUVs. A few moments later he was on his way to the estate of the Weirs.
 
Sophie smiled at her son as he hugged her tightly and she kissed his cheek in return for the one that had been placed on her own.

“Just be careful, Donovan.” She said softly as he told the guards to look after and then he was off, departing the room in a hurry. She smiled to herself, thinking that Charlotte was certainly in for a surprise.

Charlotte had settled into her apartment at her father’s estate, her tears long ended as she looked through the paperwork that officially made her a duchess. Dressed in her comfortable pajamas with her thick robe on, she was curling beneath a blanket, warm and toasty as the wind howled outside.

When she had turned 18, her father had surprised her by renovating the apartment above the garages. They were cheery and sunny, the perfect spot for a girl that was just starting out in her life. It didn’t matter that her drive to the palace was often over an hour long. It was her own little space away from the chaos of the world.

A sigh left her lips as she pushed her hair from her face, a frown forming when she heard the slamming of a car door outside and then a knock at her door. She stood from her spot, moving to see who could be there so late that evening. Her eyes widened as she saw Dave standing there, a rose in his hands.

“Dave, what are you doing here?” She asked softly as she pulled the door open and allowed him to step into the warm apartment.
 
"I came to visit you of course and..."

He held out the rose to her when she closed the door,

"To bring you a rose, I know white means friendship, but there wasn't any other."

He frowned,

"Also your sudden departure without saying farewell did make me worried and since I care for your well-being as much as you care for mine, I have come to check if you're allright."
 
Charlie looked down at the rose that was offered and she slowly smiled, taking it from his hand and bringing it to her nose. She took in a deep breath, admiring the sweet scent as she listened to Dave tell her why he had come to see her.

“I’m fine, Dave.” She said as she showed him to the living room, telling him to take a seat while she went and got a vase for her flower. “It was all very overwhelming, but it was very welcome news. Thank you.”

She placed the flower on her coffee table, sitting next to him and giving his knee a pat with her hand. “Dave, you know you didn’t have to do that. I mean, surely there’s other members of the nobility that are more deserving than I.”

It was then that his words struck her and she turned her eyes to the rose and then back to him. “Donovan, why are you really here? You didn’t drive all this way just to give me a flower and check on me. You could have picked up the phone and called if that were the case.”
 
He shook his head,

"Not really, you have dedicated your life to the crown, also you had done so much more than anybody have done. I had a very long discussion about it with quite a lot of people at the palace and in the administration, they all agreed with me."

He looked at her and smiled,

"This is my clumsy way of trying to show you that I don't just say I love you, but that I really do. I have for years, I just didn't seem to show you that I do."
 
Charlie was stunned that he had come all this way to show her that he loved her. She felt her cheeks heat under his gaze and she shyly averted her eyes, a silly little smile coming to her lips. A part of her had always known just how he felt about her, but there he was, professing that emotion that kept drawing them together.

“Well, I suppose I should tell you that I’ve always loved you as well.” She said, finally turning her gaze back towards him. “Dave, I just want you to feel sure that you’re making the right decision.”

She reached out and placed her hand on his cheek, smiling at him as she leaned forward and gently pressed her lips against his. A soft sigh left her then, satisfaction showing in every inch of her body.
 
He returned the soft kiss and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to him.

"I know what I'm doing, I just need to know that what I'm doing for you is right for you as well."

He smiled,

"In fact, I still have to meet all those other ladies and still have to tell them no. Come to think about it miss Wier, you have never told me that you have any feelings towards me."

A sly grin crossed his lips,

"Well apart for a very lovely kiss we shared this morning."
 
Charlie's lips parted as Dave smiled at her in his sly manner. She felt her cheeks redden and she place her hand against his chest as he drew her close. Looking into his eyes, she gave him a smile of her own.

"I do have feelings for you, Dave. You're my best friend." She paused and took a deep breath before continuing. "I do love you. I think I always have. I just...well, I just never felt that I was good enough to be in a relationship with you."

"Of course you're constantly proving me wrong." Her voice was soft as she looked into his eyes. "Maybe another one of your kisses will convince me."
 
Back
Top