In Search of Knowledge

cgraven

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 6, 2001
Posts
62,548
A closed thread, read along and enjoy

MacGyver University was a small prestigious institution in the hills of rural New England. It was known for its avant-garde programs, and parapsychology department. The spring semester was drawing to a close and soon the announcements for the summer internship programs would be appearing . Unlike many universities MacGyver did not limit participation to graduate students only but they were open to under graduate students as well.

Professor Carl Kolkac had just posted the parapsychology department’s internship.

In search of werewolves fact or fiction?

This year we will be going to Romania and the Transylvanian Mountains in search of werewolves, to conduct a scientific study to determine if they have some base in fact or are the sole result of folk lore.

Interested student will apply to Dr. Carl Kolkac

There was snickering as the students read the posting for parapsychology department’s summer internship. It was due in large part to the fact Dr. Carl Kolkac would be the academic in charge of the study. Dr. Carl Kolkac was known as a bit of an odd duck, and a relic from a bygone era. He could be seen on campus in his Oxford gown flapping out behind him as if they were some great black wings as he careened about campus on his bicycle and his mortar board perched precariously on his head with his wispy gray hair in shocking disarray. He was a tall gangly man in his fifties and the very picture of the absent minded professor. He could be seen fencing in the gym late at night and the first think in the morning, and he bore a small scar on his right cheek just below his eye and rumor had it that it was a dueling scare from his days as a student in Vienna.

To win a coveted internship was the goal of every struggling student at MacGyver University for unlike many other such programs MacGyver internships came with a small salary, and a cost of living allowance as well. The only draw back was that one would have to submit to an interview with Dr. Carl Kolkac, a man whose entire world revolved around academics, and a decidedly stoic view of life. This internship would be work and more work into the wee hours of the morning. Not the ideal summer junket to Europe for the summer.

It had been three hours and only two students had presented themselves for consideration for the summer internship. Kolkac was puffing on his English brier pipe, a pale blue gray ring of tobacco smoke floating around his head like a misty halo.


“Enter.”

His dark low voice intoned, a voice lost some where between a bass and a baritone. A voice that rumbled from his barreled chest a voice that was felt as much as heard.
 
Katherine Delaney, or Kat as commonly called, was born and raised in the projects of Boston by a single mother, and a slew of bad choices. Kat wasn't graced with athletic ability, or the looks to kill. Instead she stood about five three, and wore salvation armies latest line. Her red hair wasn't brilliant, it was a tad dull, but her green eyes did change depending upon her mood.

School came easy to her, it was the one thing she could loose herself into. Her straight A's and continued praise from the teachers had her alienated from her peers at an early age. But her brains did provide her the one thing she wanted most... OUT. Her interests involved reading, and history. The latest supernatural phase of society didn't interest her. She found it another form of organized cult commercial brainwashing.

A full scholarship to a private college was the first step in her plan. Even in school she dedicated herself fully to the prestigious education that was hard for even the snooty rich kids to get into. Her next step would be Oxford for her Masters and Doctorate degrees. To get in, it seemed that there were duplicates of her that applied around the world. Her guidance counselor stated that institutions wanted well rounded candidates. It wasn't enough that she had straight A's in all of her AP courses. It wasn't enough that she volunteered at the soup kitchen, the hospital, and the senior center. There was only one choice.

Kat walked into Professor Kolkac's parapsychology department office with his voice echoing "Enter".

"My name is Katherine Delaney, i'm applying for the internship." she stated placing the papers on the desk.
 
Dr. Kolkac was busily grading the last of the final exams for his course in parapsychology when he heard the knock at his door. Drawn from his work he gave a disgruntled huff, and straightened just a bit in his chair. The rumpled tweed jacket he wore had leather patches at the elbows, as always he wore his school tie from King’s College at Oxford. His wispy gray hair little more that a fringe that circled his head. Hardly the picture of a modern professor but more a caricature of a bygone day.

”Enter!”

His voice was formal as always and tinged with an Eastern European accent, one could not quite place. His hazel eyes looked over the rim of his glasses to behold an attractive young lady.

"My name is Katherine Delaney, i'm applying for the internship." she stated placing the papers on the desk.

The girl was rather attractive and quite young; she appeared no older than a sophomore but most probably a freshman and yet he knew he was no judge of young ladies’ ages. Carl Kolkac noticed that her apparel was serviceable, stylish to a degree, but hardly the fashionable norm favored by majority of the female student body. Her rich tawny copper hair was drawn back almost as an after thought while her flashing green eyes sparkled with a determination and purpose.

“Have a seat my dear. So you are interested in summer internship? You do realize that it will entail spending time in a country until very recently was known for its strict control and that it will entail a fair amount of hiking through the mountains of Transylvania. Miss………”

His voice trailed off even as his eyes wandered to the young woman’s high firm breasts. She defiantly was attractive and yet this ravishing young beauty seemed to wish to hide her obvious charms for some reason. The idea of spending the summer in her company was quite enticing. A slight blush kissed Kolkac’s cheeks as he realized that he was staring at the girl’s breasts. Pulling himself back to the present and the business at hand.

“And your name is Miss…………Miss Delaney”

Dr. Kolkac momentary laps of memory seemed to reinforce his image as the absent minded professor.

“Well Miss Delaney you would be recording my interviews with local villagers, helping me research the local records for reported sightings of theses supposed creatures, and then transcribing my notes.”

He hesitated a moment before continuing.

“As you would be representing the university you would be required to wear appropriate attire, skirts , blouses and the school blazer. Of course in the mountains hiking appropriate shorts and boots would be acceptable.”

He passed Katherine an application form fully expecting that she would now change her mind as the internship was not just some frivolous outing to Europe.
 
Taking a seat in the chair he motion to. She felt as if it was slowly making her sink. There had of course been stories about the odd professor. Yet she had never put much stock in those.

Honestly children of this age wasting time on gossip instead of focusing on what was truly important. Despite her own personal thoughts on werewolves and vampires, this professor had secured a grant in an area that had only briefly been touched upon in the 16th through 19th centuries.
That showed her that he had a great deal of dedication and foresight, qualities she could relate to.

Of course the whole idea was preposterous, but she was game. He was her ticket into Oxford. Although she nodded with a soft “Yes Sir” when he spoke of Romania being under strict control, she wondered if what he spoke of was the iron curtain. That fell in 1991, so it had been 23 years since that occurred. That was ages ago. Unless these people were somehow economically and socially stunted, which she knew wasn't the case.

Potato, potatoes she told herself trying to refocus to listen to what he was saying.

Perhaps that was a sign that off put so many students his oddities. But then again most of them would think Romania was In Italy, preferably next to Rome. Once upon a time she might have envied the camaraderie of other students. The way they bonded together with such ease, and giggled frivolously. Her mind was planning avoid the current scum her mother had brought home while they concentrated on who the cutest boy was.

Looking at the application he pushed forward to her. She folded her hands on her lap.

“In the paperwork Dr., you’ll find the application complete as well as an essay to why I am the best suited for this position. I am not afraid of getting dirty or getting scrapes on my knees sir. I am not looking for an all-expense paid tour of all things shiny and null. I’ll briefly give you a few of my more useful abilities.

I have been diagnosed with borderline Hyper-polyglottism and I am a mnemonist. I believe these are great assets that will assist you in your studies. I understand these are also outrageous claims, if needed I can provide you with the doctors diagnosis’ and a copy of the tests I have done yearly.

I also have next to perfect attendance which will speak for my reliability.

Enclosed you’ll find letters of recommendation from previous volunteer positions I've held over the years.” She then forced herself to smile with a look of sincerity. “I hope to hear from you Sir.” She then rose and held out her hand to shake his.
 
Dr. Kolkac listened politely to Katherine Delaney as she listed what she believed were her qualifications for the internship and why she thought she was the best candidate for the position.

Enclosed you’ll find letters of recommendation from previous volunteer positions I've held over the years.”

The young redheaded beauty’s smile seemed forced almost unnatural and yet there was nothing false or unnatural about the look of sincerity in her stunningly expressive and stunningly beautiful eyes.

“I hope to hear from you Sir.”

She then rose and held out her hand to shake his. Carl Kolkac took Katherine’s offered hand in both his golden hazel eyes looked deeply into the clear depths of her soft eyes as he shook her hand

"One soon finds that the modern world quickly disappeared as you traveled from Bucharest into the Carpathian mountains in to the fabled land made famous by Braham Stoker's Transylvanian. Oh yes towns like Targoviste Vlade Tepes' seat of power in Walachia has entered the world of tourism and the art of fleecing the unsuspecting tourist, yet as you made your way towards Sangov, Vadle Tepes's final resting place one entered a world of Medieval towns and little villages that have not substantially changed sense the days when Vadle Tepes was the iron fisted ruler of Walachia holding the Turks at bay and striking fear into their hearts by impaling his prisoners on pikes as a warning to all. It was his ruthless treatment of foes both Turks and those closer to the thrown that had given rise to the Legend of the Vampire count made famous by the dark Irish author. Yet their is a grain of truth behind all myths and legends Miss Delaney."


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Katherine Delaney got her answer a week later, the next two where a whirlwind of vaccinations and shots visa and finalizing travel plans. On the second of June Katherine found herself in Boston at Logan airport boarding the Austrian Airlines for Bucharest. Dr. Kolkac arrived looking like the typical absent minded professor, in his crumpled tweed jacket, and his glasses riding on the end of his nose. He patted his pockets searching for his boarding pass which the gate attendant took from his outside breast pocket. Most of the trip they spent sleeping on the late night flight. A day in Bucharest with an endless series of boring official meetings and applications for travel passes and then they where on their way to the northern mountain city of Sinaia, the old summer capital and finally to the 14th-century town of Sighisoara and the birthplace of Vlad Tepes -- more notoriously known as Vlad the Impaler or Count Dracula -- and to the famous Castle Bran, often referred to as "Dracula's Castle." It seemed they where to stay in the castle.

He had shyly stolen glances at the charming young beauty and then would blush when she noticed. He seemed to brighten and become more relaxed once they where in Europe. When they where told they would be sharing a room at the castle he did not seem to blink even thought in Bucharest he had insisted on separate rooms much to the amusement of the hotel desk clerk. During their journey to Sighisoara he was a virtual travel log on the sights and the history of the region.

Dr. Kolkac had left Katherine to shower and get ready for dinner while he went to the library of the castle. He was about to make some notes when he realized he had forgotten his pen. When he returned to their room he found Katherine emerging from the bathroom in nothing but her towel and he blushed furiously but made not move to leave his eyes devouring her beauty in her near naked state his mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water.
 
Last edited:
A grain of truth’ indeed. She thought to herself as she nodded after hearing his further epilogue. The only thing she expect to find in Romania was a back drop of culture long forgotten.

A place where history lied and few cared. She knew all about Vlad the Impaler. At one point had even a paper explaining to the ‘shiny vampire’ crowd the origin and myth of vampires and how if they did exist the last thing they would do was submit themselves to whiny teenagers.

When she received the call that she got the internship she wasn't at all surprised. Kat had a rather high opinion of her accomplishments.

The worse part about getting ready to leave for this long journey was getting all the vaccinations and paperwork that were required. In her mind however this also opened her future up for new opportunities.

When Dr. Kolkac talked at least it was about history. So she listened with semi interest and commented from here or there. Even on some occasions found herself asking questions. For the most part she remained quiet as she absorbed the world they had entered.

Sharing a room wasn't a big deal. She had to share one all her life. The impropriety of it didn't’ seem to faze her. Of course she wasn't thrilled about it, she had to hoped to have some alone time.

However, he hadn’t been the least inappropriate. Though from time to time she did think he was gazing at her. Chalking that up to paranoia she simply continued with the tasks at hand.

The most awkward moment thus far seemed to be when he walked back into the room catching her in towel. It gave her an overwhelming sense of the creeps as he seemed to google at her.

He had to be three times or at least twice her age. Hurrying around him she grabbed her clothes and ran back into the bathroom where she slammed the door hoping it would break him out of his drooling stage.

When she came out and he was still there she claimed headache and requested he go to dinner without her. He was truly a very odd man. But then again, most intellectuals are.

Bucharest was extremely larger then what she had anticipated it would be. It was a shame that much of its old architecture was lost in fires. Most of the cities she wanted to visit were due to some historical significance. But now she knew that they would never meet with her expectations.
 
Carl Kolkac had seen the look in Kat’s strikingly expressive emerald green eyes and he almost flinched at that look, that appeared to be part pity, part discuss. The slamming door, the fained excuse of a head ach as Kat suggested that he go to dinner alone. He had been a fool to think this attractive young woman could see in him as anything more than a doddering old fool. He found that dinner, in the city of his youth, was a disappointing affair when there was no one to share the meal with, or the city that he had once loved so dearly.

Why, why had he made such a fool of himself over this young redheaded coed. Yet even as he asked the question of himself time and again Carl new the answer it was because of Katrina. Both she and Miss Delaney were redheads but there is where the physical resemblance stopped, then Why. Again Carl knew the answer it was that firry spirit, that knowledge of her self worth, and that blind belief in her own abilities to over come anything without anyone else’s help.

The rising sun and the setting moon, in is quarter phase, passed each other as one faded below the western horizon and the other shown forth its brilliant dominance in the celestial dome as in rose in the east. Katherine Delaney was fast asleep in her narrow bed, in the room they shared. With his shoes in his hand, so as not to disturbed the sleeping young woman, Kolkac made his way to the bathroom where he set his shoes down, stripped off his shirt, until he was bared to the waist. He turned the hot water tap and held his finger until the stream of water until it became uncomfortably warm. Kolkac splashed the hot water on his face and then with shaving brush in hand he lathered his face for his morning shave. As Carl slouched the last of the shaving lather from his face. He saw an old man with a fringe of gray hair staring back at him. On a whim Kolkac decided to shave his head and when that task was accomplished the man who stared back at him seemed to have shed fifteen years from his appearance. His upper body was not that of an old man in his fifties, but of a much young man, a much more active man of his thirties.

A towel was draped around Carl’s neck when he heard Kat stir in the other room.

“Just a moment Miss Delaney, just finishing shaving.”

With his shaving kit in hand and the hand towel still around his neck Dr. Carl Kolkac emerged from the bathroom not quite the same man who had went in.

“We are due at the Bureau of Tourism at 10 for our travel visa to Sinaia, the old summer capital to get local permission to go further Miss Delaney.”
 
Kat felt remorse after he left. What could possibly make her think that he was looking at her in that way. No one but her mother’s scum ever did. Wiping her eyes she had sat up when he came out.

If he hadn't been talking she wouldn't have realized it was him. He was talking about their visa in the morning. Her eyes saw before her a firm fit younger man then the one that left earlier.

The facial expressions were more defined; somehow he seemed more charismatic and less awkward.

Her eyes went to the window then back to him. “It looks beautiful out tonight; I always thought night time gives a new light on a city. I probably shouldn't be out alone, would you mind escorting me around for a night walk?”

She wondered if she sounded as awkward as she felt when she asked him.

There was truth in her words. The night time, the stars, they always seemed to shed a new light on things.

Less people would be out, which would make the air more nostalgic. Looking away for a moment while she waited for his answer she spoke almost softly.

“I’m sorry about earlier, it was probably a combination of jet lag and embarrassment. I’m a lot of things, but being socially inclined I am not”
 
Kat was sitting up in her bed, her striking emerald green eyes misty with sleep, her tawny copper red hair tussled and in disarray as she looked from the window and the nighttime sky to Carl and back again as if she were seeing him for the first time.

“It looks beautiful out tonight; I always thought night time gives a new light on a city. I probably shouldn't be out alone, would you mind escorting me around for a night walk?”

“Yes Miss Delaney there is something sensual about the velvet night sky and the pale pure light of the moon that softens the city, so different from the harsh glare of the sun.”

Carl’s voice took on a deep reflective quality as he spoke as if the moon’s pale virginal light had soften even its hard professorial edges.

“I’m sorry about earlier, it was probably a combination of jet lag and embarrassment. I’m a lot of things, but being socially inclined I am not”

Carl Kolkac could almost here the blush in Kat’s voice as she apologized, and then confessed that she preferred the solitude of the night over social gaiety.”

“Well then Miss Delaney it would be my pleasure to escort you on your evening promenade ………….”

Carl paused for the moment his eyes meeting Kat’s just for a moment.

“……….. on one condition though, for tonight, it will be Carl not Dr. Kolkac…..”

Again he paused his dark golden hazel eyes holding Kat’s soft emerald eyes in his gaze/


“……………and Katherine?……..Miss Delaney.”

Carl smiled down into Kat’s soft eyes then slowly turned to the window so his young intern could slip from under the covers. He gazed down on the Calea Victoriei, Bucharest's oldest and arguably, most charming street, the most fashionable street in the city. He found that he wanted to share its 17th century architecture with Kat.

bucharest-manuc-inn.jpg


To show her why his Bucharest was called the Little Paris, for it too was a city of lights

bucharest-military-club.jpg


Carl smiled as he offered Kat his arm and then led her out into the dark, down Calea Victoriei passed the Metropolitan Church

bucharest-metropolitan-church.jpg


To stroll the banks of the Dambovita River, in the shadows of the linden trees, bathed in the pale soft light of the virgin moon as she raced across the night sky, a man just enjoying the company of an attractive young woman as he shared the city he loved with her.
 
Letting out a light sigh of relief that he seemed to forgive her rudeness. The last thing she needed to do was create tension this early in the internship.

"I may slip from time to time but then i shall call you Carl, you can call me Kat."

She took his arm and walked the streets of Bucharest. The professor had knowledge about this marvelous place. Which made their walk under the moon and stars that much more wonderful.


He showed her exactly why they called this place little Paris. He seemed a lot more at home now that they were out and about. The true beauty of this city hit home when they reached Carol I Park
bucharest-monument-park.jpg


She was glad she had brought to her camera with her to document some of these amazing places he was showing her.

"How did you get to know so much about this place?" she asked as they walked.
 
The pale light of the moon seemed to smile up at this mismatched couple from the reflecting pool of the monument that housed the eternal flame for Romania’s unknown solider. They strolled arm and arm through the gardens designed by Eduard Redont and so reminiscent of the Jarden du Luxemburg in Paris.

"How did you get to know so much about this place?"

Kat’s voice was a soft whisper so out of character for the dynamic and self assured young beauty. Oh Carl knew that she did not see herself that way, it was almost as if she were afraid to and the one thing Carl Kolkac knew all to well was what fear could do. It had been his fear that had cost him Katrina. Kat’s question roused him from the pensive mood he had fallen into.

“I was a student here Kat, you might say a country bumpkin trying so desperately to escape his rural past………..”

Carl’s voice trailed off a bit as once more the ghosts of his past pricked at his memory. A boyish grin bowed his lips as he continued.

“……….where better than in Bucharest and at University Kat? A new city, bright lights,….”


He leaned closer as if they were conspirators his forehead pressed to hers,

“…pretty girls…..”

A saucy wink

“ ….and a city of light, the youthful gaiety in a city never slept. Ah but the mornings and dragging oneself out of bed for the morning lectures.”

Carl’s forehead still rested against Kat’s his dark golden hazel eyes sought her stunningly beautiful emerald green eyes, his lips now just a breath away from hers as the moon looked down on them in her flight across the dark velvet night sky.
 
She laughed a little like he was teasing her, and spoke turning and facing the walking path they needed to take. It was absolutely possible that she simply didn't register what was unfolding before her. Having no experience in that department, adding in the potential age difference, and the fact well, why would anyone show interest. She was an odd duck.
Had she known that his intention was most likely to kiss her, the result would have been different. She had just begun establishing a friendship with him. They were going to be in Romania for a while.

“Did you know that most of the people that visit Romania are repeat visitors? I really feel that’s a shame. But at the same time, if it were flooded with tourists tonight wouldn't have been half as enjoyable." pausing for a moment took in her glorious surroundings.

"You mentioned that coming here was to help escape your past. I understand that more then you could possibly know. I think we've found another thing in common Carl.” She said sweetly as they walked.

“Thank you for taking a walk with me Carl and showing me the city. I have a proposition for you, you can call me Kat all the time. If I can just call you doctor in front of colleagues etc when we’re in official school capacity and call you Carl the rest of the time? She asked with hope. She really hated being called Ms. Delaney.

“I’m looking forward to our travels. This city is beautiful, but I think my eyes have just begun to get opened up. I don’t do well in crowds, I hope it’s not that crowded there.”
 
The silence lingered between them not an uncomfortable silence yet a silence none the less. Carl savored the sweetness of breath, the way it gently caressed his chin and neck, all he had to do was close that breath’s distance between their lips and taste the sweetness of her lips the warmth of her mouth. A shy little laughed bubbled across Kat’s moist ripe lips and once more Carl saw the skittish little kitten so scared to embrace life so full of self doubt despite the bold self assured façade that Kat projected, was it to hold the world at arm’s length, to hold it at bay? Kolkac wondered who had hurt this beautiful young woman so that she hides so from the world.

“Did you know that most of the people that visit Romania are repeat visitors? I really feel that’s a shame. But at the same time, if it were flooded with tourists tonight wouldn't have been half as enjoyable."

“Kat they are the lucky ones for they have felt the magic of this land and of its people.”

His voice was light with a touch of youthful gaiety to its deep dark rich tones. There was a teasing gleam in his dark hazel eyes as he took a step back, he would not steal a kiss from this fragile young beauty, well not yet at least for Carl Kolkac knew frightened little kitten’s had claws and it was in their nature to use them when cornered.

Taking Kat’s arm in his once more Carl turned back to the moon lit path to continue their nocturnal stroll.

"You mentioned that coming here was to help escape your past. I understand that more then you could possibly know. I think we've found another thing in common Carl.”

There was softness an innocent sweetness to Kat’s voice that he found charming. Kolkac smiled and nodded in understanding feeling a bit closer to this vivacious young creature. The first rays of dawn were just tinged the eastern sky with sensual shades of golds and pinks when Kat once more turned to him.

“Thank you for taking a walk with me Carl and showing me the city. I have a proposition for you,…..

Carl turned to face Kat giving her his full attention.

……… you can call me Kat all the time. If I can just call you doctor in front of colleagues etc when we’re in official school capacity and call you Carl the rest of the time?

Carl paused just long enough to give the impression that he was seriously considering her proposition.

“It’s a deal Kat….”

Carl held out his hand to the young redhead a handshake to seal their bargain.

“……….and I am looking forward to showing this land I love as well Kat.”

The day became a whirl wind of activity. The Communist regime of the past was gone but apparently none of the Bureaucracy that it had spawned as Carl and Kat tramped from Bureau to Bureau as they got the necessary visas, travel permits and official sanction to conduct their research. This had all been arranged by the University before they left Carl explained to Kat but this was the Romanian way, to meet, to evaluate the people they were dealing with. Where the bureaucrats were brisk and efficient with Carl they were sweetness and charm to Kat.

It was a mad dash from their hotel to the main train station but just after noon they were speeding towards Sinaia the old summer capital on one of the slowest trains in Eastern Europe. It was a little after 4pm when Carl called Kat’s attention to Pel Castle

pele-s-castle.jpg


Just peeking through the trees. Ten minutes later the Castle came into full view.


sinaia.jpg


“We will be staying at the old village inn Kat, my aunt owned it many years ago, but it has passed from the family.”

When they arrived at the station, Carl proposed that they walk through the city, for Sinaia had not only grown into a city, but obviously a winter ski resort as well. There was a frown of disappointment on Carl’s face.

“I suppose Kat there is nothing so constant as change.”

A five minute walk brought them to what had been his aunt’s Inn.

pelisor-another-view.jpg


It looked so out of place surrounded by the new modernistic resort hotels, an ugly duckling, but for Carl it was a beautiful swan.

“Kat I am sure you can get your own room here tonight. The University normally books a single room with twin beds.”

The little Inn had all of the charm of a small mountain Auberge of a bygone day, a welcoming warmth as if one were coming home. The desk clerk laid aside his paper and greeted the newly arrived couple in Romanian. Yet when he so the perplexed look on Kat’s face he smile and continued in English.

“A room for Madame and Monsieur ? ……..We have a lovely room over looking the Jarden, very private, and very secluded.”

Carl explained to the clerk in his native Romanian that the university had booked a room and requested that they speak in English for Kat’s sake.

“Yes Dr. Kolkac but it has two small beds only.”


“Kat?.........”

Carl let his voice trail off to see if Kat would inquire about a room for herself alone.
 
Last edited:
The day in fact had been a whirlwind. Not only was she physically exhausted, but mentally as well. Still nothing had quite prepared her for the beauty she viewed through the trains windows. Nothing could take away her heart flutters from seeing the castle. Even the inn they were to stay at had that classic feel to it.

I do require my own room if you please madame. Kat spoke up when Carl requested her to do so. It wasn't that she minded sharing a room with him, as much as it would lead to less awkward moments.

Luckily she was able to get her own small room. It did come adjoined to his, which in some way was a small comfort.
Also having him next door provided ease for working together.

Her first plan was that of sleep. The jet lag was in full force, so a couple hour nap she requested so they could proceed out for dinner.

When her alarm went off she got up and washed in the basin provided. She wondered where the doctor had in mind.

Meeting him in the sitting room she smiled when he entered. "You look quite handsome this evening Carl, I hope after dinner we have the opportunity to take a small tour.
 
Carl did not let his disappointment at Kats request for a separate room show. He had become use to the American sensibilities that unless a couple, that men and women, did not share a hotel room. Yet he also knew that such was not the case in Eastern Europe and in particular in rural Romania, such as Prahova County’s regional seat of government Sinaia, a choice as they traveled deeper into rural Romania that would no doubt bring unwanted attention to the beautiful young redheaded, for a woman with out a man was fair game for any one who desired her.

Carl Kolkac shook the thought off as Kat came to join him in the small sitting room.

You look quite handsome this evening Carl, I hope after dinner we have the opportunity to take a small tour.

Carl had chosen a simple dark maroon open neck shirt and a pair of loden-heather green wool pants. He rose as Kat entered the room

“ Kat you will make me blush with such shameless complements.”

A teasing smile bowed his lips and there was an unmistakable good nature twinkle in his eyes.

“ You look very fetching this evening yourself Kat.”

He knew if he had told her she looked beautiful Kat would be embarrassed and defensive as if he were making a pass at her. So much the frighten kitten Carl thought.

“I thought perhaps some traditional Romanian faire this evening if you feel adventuresome Kat. Perhaps some friptura salata boef steak with finely chopped cooked veggies and meat salad, usually topped with mayo and decorated with tomatoes and parsley or tochitura, an assortment of fried meats, and traditional sausages, in a special sauce, served with polenta and fried eggs, and then there is mici, a kind of spicy sausage, but only the meat, without the casings, always cooked on a barbecue………”

Carl’s voice was light and lively as he spoke of the traditional fare of his native land, his arm slipped into Kat’s in and easy familiar way as they walked from the Inn down the street that had once been traditional cottages but now was a row of touristy eateries.

mountains-trip-village.jpg


“…..And Wine of course Kat! We have been making wine sense the times of the Creasers. After all Romania means Roman”

Carl selected a little out of the way restraint across form Sinaia’s Cathedral.

sinaia-monastery-sianaia.jpg


It was twilight when they had finished their meal, the sky taking on the darker blues that would become the dark rich deep blues that would be the velvet backdrop for the stars.

The Modernistic hotels of the ski resort that Sinaia had become.

hotel-marea-neagra.jpg


And the traditional beauty of Peles’s castle at odds with each other.

castle-view.jpg


Carl felt at ease in Kat’s company and he wondered if she felt the same. For tonight they could enjoy a leisurely evening stroll through Sinaia, enjoy the velvet cloak of the deepening evening as it wrapped around them till it seemed they were the only ones in the world.
 
Last edited:
The time that she and Carl spent touring the wonderful city of Sinaia, was one of the most relaxing evenings she’d ever experienced. There was no pressure with him. Their love of history, and his extensive knowledge of the Romanian culture had begun to make this a wonderful experience.

Feeling a bit more out of her shell she gladly agreed to try the traditional Romania meal he suggested. It was utterly delicious. Never had she felt so full. She was grateful that they decided to continue to walk around and explore the city.

She found herself a bit disappointed that the once cottages were replaced with tourist eateries. “I wish there was a portal to the past sometimes, to be able to walk through history.” Kat mentioned at one point as they walked through the night.

Carls arm came in quite handy as the wine had gone a bit to her head. “Do you ever wonder what it would have been like to be in the Romania that existed so long ago?” She questioned laying her head upon his shoulder.

“you’re so warm” she muttered softly as they sat and admired the beauty of the night. “Do you really believe in these myths and legends that we’re here to study?” she questioned as they started their walk back to the hotel.
 
For the first time sense he had met the young Miss there was a sparkle in Kat’s soft emerald eyes. Kat seemed to visibly relax as the evening drew on and their conversation centered on the history of Sinaia. Carl loved the look of delight in those soft eyes as Kat savored the traditional Romanian repass he had chosen.

“I wish there was a portal to the past sometimes, to be able to walk through history.”

The evening had silently slipped into the first deep dark shadows of night. Only a few stars were visible in the dark velvet celestial dome.

“An interesting concept Kat…”

Carl responded as he turned towards her his dark golden hazel eyes meeting her intense emerald green eyes. Carl steady thoughtful gaze told Kat that he was seriously contemplated what she had said.

“……..To see history as it unfolds, to have our unanswered questions final answered……”

Carl paused again as if deep in thought.

“……….The down side is we might find those we most admire from the past had feet of clay, or they were not who we thought they were Kat. Yet our hands would be tied for we could do nothing to change what they did or did not do lest we change our own time beyond all recognition Kat…….Yet an interesting concept Kat.”

With her arm in his they once more continued their nightly stroll.

“Do you ever wonder what it would have been like to be in the Romania that existed so long ago?”

The question caught Dr Carl Kolkac by surprise yet not as much as when Kat rested her head on his shoulder as they walked on through the night.

“you’re so warm”

Kat softly murmured as they sat on a park bench. Carl’s arm was around Kat’s shoulder her scent filled his nostrils, so intoxicating, she was so near and yet somehow so very far away at the same time. The moon had blossomed from a ¼ to a ½ Its pale white light bathing the mismatched couple as they sat on the park bench. Others out for an evening stroll gave them a wide berth as if they were lovers.

“Do you really believe in these myths and legends that we’re here to study?”

“Believe Kat?”

Again his eyes sought hers.

“………….History has taught us that every myth or legends have some biases in fact Kat. Tory was just a legend form Homeric stories until Heinrich Schliemann discovered it in northern Turkey……. I search for the historical seeds of those legends Kat.”

They were just emerging from the park when Carl asked.

“And why did you come Kat? You are not one of the flibadyjibits that make parapsychology their major.”

Carl was very interested in what her response would be. He waited as once more they stood face to face their lips just a breath away from each other as they stood in a little pool of pale moon light. As the moon had blossomed so had Carl as if the two were somehow linked one to the other.
 
“And why did you come Kat? You are not one of the flibadyjibits that make parapsychology their major.”

Kat smiled “There are a couple reasons I chose to apply. Unfortunately none of them include a real interest in parapsychology. I don’t believe in vampires, werewolves, ghosts etc. I understand there’s a base line where they all got started. Vlad of course was the basis for vampires. Him and Elizabeth Bathory.

But more people are into the things that go bump in the night. It’s like a new craze, vampires went from being scary like Bram Stokers Dracula to being shiny. What the hell is that all about?”

Somehow she managed to take the question off topic without answering his question. What was she supposed to say? ‘Because it will look good on my college app’?

His eyes were quite amazing to look into. The new look he was projecting was also a handsome one. It wasn't until the moon hit him just right that she realized it. The result did make her blush.

Psychologists would warn that she was prone to find older men attractive. Perhaps it was the father complex for not having one, or in her case having a bazillion failed attempts.

They just started this trip though. Did she really want to consider the possibilities of a relationship with a professor. What was she thinking, there was no way he was even thinking such things.

She smiled and he led her back to the hotel, dropping her off at her room. Kat was anxious for the working part to actually begin. Spending time like this with Carl was fun, but she feared it was starting to turn her into a girl.
 
“There are a couple reasons I chose to apply. Unfortunately none of them include a real interest in parapsychology. I don’t believe in vampires, werewolves, ghosts etc. I understand there’s a base line where they all got started. Vlad of course was the basis for vampires. Him and Elizabeth Bathory.

Carl smiled at Kat’s answer and the way she met his dark golden hazel eyes with a deep honesty. As the young beauty continued he thought he saw a smile playing at the corners of Kate’s mouth.

But more people are into the things that go bump in the night. It’s like a new craze, vampires went from being scary like Bram Stokers Dracula to being shiny. What the hell is that all about?”

“I think that people want to be titillated, sexually excited and aroused, and yet at the same time not having to deal with the seductive aspect of evil. After all Kat the offer of immortality could be very tempting, to live through history, to see how the world changes, to be part of that long corridor of time and yet outside of it at the same time.”

Carl eyes held Kat’s soft emerald green eyes in his dark soft intensive gaze. He saw how the soft pink blush that kissed the young coed’s cheeks as she stood their bathed in the pale light of the moon in its nightly flight across the velvet midnight blue sky. Kat’s stunningly beautiful emerald green eyes lowered demurely and her adorable pink blush deepened to a darker richer crimson; with some private thought of her own. A little smile bowed her moist ripe lips as he turned to lead them back towards their hotel.

As Kolkac lay in his bed staring at the ceiling of his room, sleep refusing to come. The half moon’s pale virgin light illuminated the room. Had Kat pressed a little closer tonight on their nightly walk? Had she raised up on her tip toes when their lips had been just a breath away from each other, and what had caused that adorable maidenly blush?

…………………………………………………………………………..

Carl and Kat’s days began to settle into a pattern. A simple morning breakfast, then it was off to search the records for any documentation on Vampires. They worked for several days in the cramped Library of Pele Castle their bodies brushing against each other’s as Kat brought the records that Carl requested her to get. He would relate the gist of each and then he would ask what Kat thought. Much to the surprise of his young assistant there were as many records of not only werewolf but all kinds of were creatures; bears, panthers, and even a few of various wereserpents.

“ Kat have you noticed the common thread in all these records of Were creatures and vampires?

The question was posed very seriously and Carl smile at the puzzled look in Kat’s eyes.

“Each were creature has a sexual component to them a raw sexual quality, and the Vampires are seductive tempters.”


……………………………………………………………………….


Next they moved on to Sangov, in Ilfov County, The reputed resting place of Vlad Tepes. They came to the tiny island and its monastery.

800px-Flickr_-_fusion-of-horizons_-_Snagov_44.jpg


Then down into the crypt of Vlad the impaler

Flickr_-_fusion-of-horizons_-_Snagov_8.jpg


“And here Kat lies the bases of all the Vampire Legends”

And there before them lay an open and empty coffin.

“Legend says he rose from his grave,. History says he was so hated that the Magyars through his corps into the lake Kat. And so this is how myths and legends start….”

Carl smiled down into Kat’s eyes.

“I try and find the truth and shine a light on it.”
 
“Each were creature has a sexual component to them a raw sexual quality, and the Vampires are seductive tempters.”

I'm afraid i don't know much about that type of thing. She advised shyly. But i suppose that's the draw to the average person.

Working with Carl was a pleasure. She liked that she was given a task and kept busy. The Crypt of Vlad was beautiful, and well kept.

"what do you think?" she questioned with the story of him rising and becoming undead. "If in fact it was true, would it be a punishment of "god", she said using her fingers for the quotation marks. "Or perhaps it's a reward for his murderous ways in the name of his "god".

"Then what about werewolves? Where is there beginning and reason for existence? The more we look into this I find i have more questions."

She smiled and then added " According to some scripture we've found they say Vlad's head was taken to Constantinople as a trophy, and his body was buried unceremoniously by his rival, Basarab Laiota, possibly at Comana, a monastery founded by Vlad in 1461. However, the Comana monastery was demolished and rebuilt from scratch in 1589. Yet this place is also dedicated to him and claimed to be his crypt. Perhaps there's more of a mystery here then we know. What if, he went down in battle like they say he did. But the wounds were not fatal, what if the blades used where greased with a paralytic poison? What if it merely made him appear dead, and so then his rising was simply the power wearing off?"
 
“I'm afraid i don't know much about that type of thing, what do you think?”

There was a sensual shyness to Kat’s question, but what Carl noticed most was the quizzical look in her eyes, a desire for knowledge; even for what she herself had admitted was a healthy skepticism for the whole subject of vampires and werewolves.

"If in fact it was true, would it be a punishment of "god", or perhaps it's a reward for his murderous ways in the name of his "god". Then what about werewolves?”

Kat’s probing questions flowed in rapid succession as she question Kolkac on the conflicting reports and legend’s of what had actually happened to Vlad Tepes. Despite Kat’s disbelief in all things related to parapsychology, her agile young mind thirsted for answers.

“Well Kat that is part of the reason we are here.”

Carl smiled up at her as he accepted the ancient tome that one of the monks had just brought him.

Where the origins of Vampires in the public mind can be directly traced to the novel Dracula and the many Hollywood film versions of the story, and the works of Ann Rice the origins of werewolves were another matter.

“Kat many native cultures have werecreature legends. Among the native tribes of the North East Woodlands of the Americas these creatures come from the dawn of history when animals could take on the shape of man. Man was the least of all the creatures and each animal imparted some skill or wisdom to him, the birds taught man to speak, the bear the knowledge of healing herbs, the deer caution, the raven wisdom, and the wolf the knowledge of the hunt Kat….”

Carl paused for a moment to draw a breath and to see if he was boring his young intern before continuing.

“……Then man, according to the legend, used what he learned to dominate all the animals. It has the wolf that decided to fight back Kat his bite, like the bite of the Vampire the agent by which in the case of werewolves would bind man to live as the wolf lives, for the hunt and the moon set to rule the victim’s life Kate.”

There was a discrete chough from one of the monks to let the couple know that it was time to leave if they wished to catch the last ferry back to the mainland.

The day had slipped away the sun now no more than a reddish golden huge on the western horizon, the moon a pale disk, now nearly full, etched on the deep blue eastern horizon. The ruler of the day facing the ruler of the night facing each other across the heavens and once more Carl and Kat faced each other, the wind playing in the young beauty’s tawny red hair and for the third time their lips once more just a breath away from each other. This time Carl’s brushed Kats in a soft fleeting kiss. His dark golden hazel eyes held Kat’s soft warm eyes and his lips sensual pressed to hers he let the kiss linger this time, very aware of her warm supple body pressed to his.
 
Kat was slightly taken back by her professor kissing her on the lips at the same time her body reacted in ways she had never experienced before. Her arms went around his neck as her nice firm breasts pressed against his hard chest.

Her stomach was fluttering as she leaned against his body for support. The way he kissed her had her discombobulated in so many ways it was hard to organize her thoughts. This was a problem for Kat, having always a firm plan and goal. Things that took her by surprise often scared her a bit.

This was definitely one of those things. Since her mouth hadn't rejected him and her body certainly was very happy about that, Kat maintained her current coarse with her lips attached to his. Kats tongue followed his as it slid around hers. Her body reacted as it did, in a sense he was teaching her the art of passion. This was not something that was on her list.

Carl was the one in charge of this experiment. When he stopped kissing her she lowered her head and blushed. "I , I..." stuttering seemed to take over as her cheeks blushed a crimson red.
"I've never experienced anything in this area" she finally advised blushing again.
"its not on my plan" she advised confused at what she was suppose to do next about this new unexpected development. She found herself attracted to him. Her body definitely wanted to have him continue. But she wasnt convinced it was a good idea.

"You're my adviser, i.." She was at a loss for words and decided it was best just to let him speak.
 
Kat’s lips softly yielded to his and Carl savored the sweetness of her mouth as her little pink tongue shyly danced with his as their kiss lingered. Slowly Carl broke that kiss his dark hazel eyes gazing down into Kats soft smoky eyes.

"I , I..."

Kat stuttered like a schoolgirl who had just been kissed for the first time by a boy.
"I've never experienced anything in this area"

The young beauty turned the most adorable shade of scarlet as she tried very hard to banish the little schoolgirl and assert the very calm and rational part of her nature.

"its not on my plan………You're my adviser, i.."

Carl lifted the stammering and blushing young coed chin with a single finger until her shimmering eyes met his.

“All you say is true Kat……”

His eyes held hers gently, captive in his gaze, a gaze that somehow had a very primal and ferial quality to it, a certain uncontained wildness.


“….But I am a man and you are a most attractive young woman Kat.”

There was strength in Carl that he seldom let others see and the shroud of the detached and somewhat shy and bumbling professor was slipping away revealing a much more assertive man.

“Plans can change Kat. Perhaps if you kissed me…..”

They stood there in the gathering evening Kat’s arms still around his neck his arms still encircling her, and her supple young body still pressed to his. Carl Kolkac gaze held Kat’s his lips a breath away from hers it was up to her now would the romantic little schoolgirl, Kat kept closely in rein exert herself, or once more would the practical Miss Delaney take control.
 
“All you say is true Kat……”

His eyes held hers gently, captive in his gaze, a gaze that somehow had a very primal and ferial quality to it, a certain uncontained wildness.

“….But I am a man and you are a most attractive young woman Kat.”

“Plans can change Kat. Perhaps if you kissed me…..”


His body was hot pressed against hers. Plans changed.. he was right, Kiss him, she couldn't waste time deciding, for once just this once go w/ her reaction. Her mouth found his, kissing him like he had taught her.

She let her body go with the moment. Unknowingly she made her decision submitting to his gentle words. Finally breaking the kiss she spoke again. "Teach me" she said softly blushing once again. It was something she hadn't planned, but knew him so far to be a kind gentle man.

Why not be taught by someone that ignited a fire and a passion with in her she hadn't felt before?

Her eyes caught his and she smiled kissing him again softly. Sealing her request so to speak.
His dominance was sexy, the strength and self assurance he held turned her on even more, even though she didn't quite understand what it was about him that cause a fire between her thighs.
 
"Teach me"

Kat softly whispered as she blushed the most adorable shade of pink. Carl could see the shy little school girl deep in Kat’s soft shimmering emerald green eyes. His lips once more brushed hers a slow sensual kiss. He let that seductive kiss linger deepen until time stood still. There was no past, no future, there was just here, just now, and that one perfect kiss. Carl savored the sweet innocent taste of Kat’s mouth a summer wine sweetness that was so intoxicating.

How long they stood there in each other’s arms, their bodies pressed so intimately together, the sweet fragrance of Kat’s supple young body filled his nostrils. He could feel her breasts pressed to his chest and a dark ferial longing stirred with in him, a longing to make this young redheaded beauty his. Slowly he broke their kiss, his eyes turned to the moon, the pale eye in the night sky was nearing the time of its fullness, the time of the beast.

“Come Kat the night grows cold.”

Carl slipped his arm in hers as they walked back to the little hotel. Unlike other nights Carl’s arm was around Kat’s waist. He held her close as if they were lovers out for an evening’s stroll. When they reached the hotels and stood before the doors to their adjoining rooms Carl once more took Kat in his arms and kissed as she had never been kissed before. His lips slid from hers and he whispered.

“If you would learn more Kate come.”

The door to Carl’s room stood open and his hand was extended to the shy little coed.
 
Back
Top