Are all countries culturally bankrupt, or is it just America?

blobfish

Literotica Guru
Almost all Americans can identify Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis, but a lot of them can't name the Speaker of the House. Is this common in all or most nations?

Priorities, darling. What, you don't want to know what Kim Kardashian is up to?

In order for something to go bankrupt, don't you have to have it in the first place?

America once had a culture that valued civic-mindlessness. I have a scrapbook from the 1880s that I bought off of someone for $1. It belonged to a young woman. It began life as her music book, but she decided to fill it instead with news clippings that interested her. Everyone of them involved local, state, national or international leaders in some way. To her, Grover Cleveland and Queen Victoria were celebrities.

The problem with many people is that they keep living in a past life. One thing is constant...change. They have a hard time adapting to the world they live in. Instead, they want to say "we are culturally bankrupt". In reality, we are more culturally enriched. They just don't approve of diversity. Same thing with the election...blame it on some idiotic notions. Reality is, they never grew as the rest of the country grew. If you think we need to be better educated, why is it people want to cut educational funding?

The problem with many people is that they keep living in a past life. One thing is constant...change. They have a hard time adapting to the world they live in. Instead, they want to say "we are culturally bankrupt". In reality, we are more culturally enriched. They just don't approve of diversity. Same thing with the election...blame it on some idiotic notions. Reality is, they never grew as the rest of the country grew. If you think we need to be better educated, why is it people want to cut educational funding?

This ranks among the dumbest things I've ever read.

Did anyone else catch 60 Minutes last week (or maybe the week before), they had an interview with David McCollough (history & culture lecturer) in Paris. For most of the interview they were discussing different young Americans that travelled through Paris in the 19th century and how their time abroad influenced them and their country.

i.e. It was en vogue if you could afford it to send your college kids on a post-grad backpacking trip through continental Europe to soak up the culture. There was one guy, Sam Morse, who was initially looking at a career in portraits, studied under masters and created a truly American masterpiece. One of the first. But he became intriqued in things mechanical, especially in this new fangled stuff called electricity and how to use it in a practical manner besides a light source. After coming up with a few ideas on how to perfect the transmission of dots & dashes he formed them into an alphabetic code. Then somebody introduced good ol' boy Sam to their French drinking buddy Lou Deguerre, who had this newfangled process of actually capturing images, and being afraid this would put all the portrait painters out of business Sam Morse studied & tweaked it into a streamlined process.

Samuel Morse. In one grad school trip to Paris he brought to America:

• The telegraph
  • The Morse Code
  • One of the first American Renaissance style masterpieces
  • Photography

Travel & knowledge is how you culturally enrich your country. Look at what just one man brought home.

Samuel Morse -- Dying Hercules

dying-hercules-by-samuel-morse.jpg

I've seen exactly one movie with Tom Cruise in it. However, I have seen commercials, posters and billboards with his name and face hundreds of times.

There is culture aplenty to be found. You just need to get past all the hype.

America once had a culture that valued civic-mindlessness. I have a scrapbook from the 1880s that I bought off of someone for $1. It belonged to a young woman. It began life as her music book, but she decided to fill it instead with news clippings that interested her. Everyone of them involved local, state, national or international leaders in some way. To her, Grover Cleveland and Queen Victoria were celebrities.

The nation has replaced Aristotle with Kant. Self-reliance is gone and self-sacrifice is in.

Diversity only means race, religion, origination, sexuality, gender but it precludes thought.

If they were to think, they would see the outcome for nations who decide that A is not A.

You see one side effect already; education is measured in dollars. Dollars are self-sacrifice; how much of your life were you willing to surrender to someone else? Not wishing to surrender that which you worked for and earned makes you selfish in this new, "richer" culture. This means that you are living in the past and that diversity is now a crime and anyone who hoards dollars is performing, if not a criminal act, but certainly an evil civl act of lawlessness against society.

Another hallmark of this thought is ever-growing, powerful intrusive government of arrogance. Take the Post Office for example. Instead of being ashamed of a new record deficit (not unlike California and the Federal Government), the hand out executive bonuses and demand Congress provide more sacrificed dollars while remarking that we are not going anywhere our economy is based upon our continued operation.

In the final days of this philosophy of self-sacrifice, having pogrommed all the internal enemies of progress that it can find, in desperation it lashes out at external enemies and draws its neighbors into war.

This is one reason why the Government asked "Who wants to secede?" They are continuing to develop their lists of internal enemies, people who would dare say, A is A!

Almost all Americans can identify Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis, but a lot of them can't name the Speaker of the House. Is this common in all or most nations?

Yes, many people outside of America know who Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis are.

Damn few know the Speaker of the House.

"Everyone talks about this demographic transformation as if it’s a natural phenomenon, like Hurricane Sandy. Indeed, I notice that many of those exulting in the inevitable eclipse of “white America” are the same people who assure me that demographic arguments about the Islamization of Europe are completely preposterous. But in neither the United States nor Europe is it a natural phenomenon. Rather, it’s the fruit of conscious government policy."

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/333583/tribal-america-mark-steyn

Recommended read.

The fuck is this "60 Minutes"?

In other news THESE ARE THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE PANTS EVER. I'M TAKING THEM OFF.

Bullshit.

Bullshit, on many levels.

Back