Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, everyone. Busy day for me. Here is one from the British Isles;

oxter - noun 1. chiefly Scot & Irish: ARMPIT 2. chiefly Scot & Irish: ARM

Seemingly, an oxter is an arm and its pit.
 
You know, I think I might have come across the word 'oxter' in The Iliad - probably someone being brutally wounded in the oxter :eek:.

I have snuck in here to post HP's piccies of roses and ask if anyone knows the name of the blue one. I think it might be Barbara Streisand (based on a quick google, LOL). If I make a thread with just pix of roses in it, I might finally get thrown off the board! LOL, so I shall furtively post these in here.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!127&authkey=!AKOIop5QFHg8xeE

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!129&authkey=!AJSF0Hz70n8w6vA

Rose with no name ... answers in a post.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=855FED83F96F239B!130&authkey=!AOWjGiDLTkDd47Q
 
Greetings, everyone. Busy day for me. Here is one from the British Isles;

oxter - noun 1. chiefly Scot & Irish: ARMPIT 2. chiefly Scot & Irish: ARM

Seemingly, an oxter is an arm and its pit.

I suppose a modern definition of an Oxter might be to describe it as a bingo wing :D

Are Americans familiar with the idea of a bingo wing?
 
I suppose a modern definition of an Oxter might be to describe it as a bingo wing :D

Are Americans familiar with the idea of a bingo wing?

Hey Ishtat! how goes it?

Bingo wing is good, LOL. I had to google it too.

(Did you manage to catch the Lions match?)
:cathappy:
 
ishtat, I was not familiar with bingo wings, so I looked it up and I am sad to say I have small bingo wings myself, which are unavoidable with age.

This one was too good to pass up;

Oxonian - noun 1. a native or resident of Oxford, England 2. a student or graduate of Oxford University
 
Naoko, I neglected to say how lovely the pictures of the roses you posted for HP really are, thanks for making my thread so beautiful.

Here are two interesting Ox words regarding plant life;

oxtongue - noun any of several plants (as a bugloss) having rough tongue-shaped leaves

oxlip - noun 1. a hybrid primrose 2. a Eurasian primula differing from the cowslip chiefly in the flat corolla limb
 
attachment.php


Thanks to sweet Naoko and her wonderful list of instructions, I have managed to post an actual picture and not just the link. Hooray, what a wonderful day!

This oriental lily has not bloomed for several years and this year made a brilliant appearance in the Buddha garden.

Now a word;

oxheart - noun any of various large sweet cherries
 

Attachments

  • Oriental Lily.jpg
    Oriental Lily.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
osculate: to kiss; kiss

There are surprisingly few words that mean kiss, considering how common and popular an activity it is. (Consider how many words and phrases there are that mean "to copulate" and you can see what I mean.)

Interestingly, deosculate and exosculate also mean to kiss, and while they have slightly different connotations (relating to the length and fervor of said kiss), I think it's safe to say that the words are rare enough that the connotations are generally unknown and/or overlooked.
 
attachment.php


The above flowers bloomed last week and will continue for a while.

Controllingkink, what a great word. I can honestly say no one ever asked to osculate me before, LOL.

Oxford movement - noun a High Church movement within the Church of England begun at Oxford in 1833
 

Attachments

  • Orange Day Lily.jpg
    Orange Day Lily.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 41
Hey Ishtat! how goes it?

(Did you manage to catch the Lions match?)
:cathappy:

Yeah, Good game on the whole, 23-21 - could have gone either way. In hindsight Australia probably lost the match in the first minute when their goal kicker was injured.

They looked pretty evenly matched, but there's perhaps more improvement in the Lions for the second test.:)
 
What fantastic flowers, Allard, and :nana: on the posting of the pictures! Soon you too will be running tutorials on the posting of piccies - I knew nothing of how to do this myself only a few weeks ago. LOL.

:rose: Ishtat! I'm hoping I get to catch part of the game before having to go and yawn in a staff development day.

Otiose is my word for today. How I should like to spend a bit of time:
Serving no practical purpose.
Indolent; idle.

BTW, I ended up running a tutorial in a pub last night. It was certainly better than our usual venue, where you can't even get a cup of indifferent hot chocolate, never mind a Jura whisky. :cathappy:

I have some flower pics here on a blogpost about a walk along the Taff Trail. (This is on my clean mommy blog, LOL, not the saucy one.)
 
attachment.php


Honestly, Naoko, this is too much fun. This lily bloomed a couple of weeks ago and is just now getting the attention they deserved. Great word, BTW.

Oxford down - noun oft cap D any of a Down breed of large hornless sheep developed by crossing Cotswolds and Hampshire Downs
 

Attachments

  • Pink and White Lily.jpg
    Pink and White Lily.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37
Thank you for pointing out the difference, Harold.

I love this word, especially for its second definition;

oxbow- noun 1. a U-shaped frame forming a collar about an ox's neck and supporting the yoke 2. something (as a bend in a river) resembling an oxbow
 
Thank you for pointing out the difference, Harold.

I love this word, especially for its second definition;

oxbow- noun 1. a U-shaped frame forming a collar about an ox's neck and supporting the yoke 2. something (as a bend in a river) resembling an oxbow

An oxbow is formed in the tertiary stage of a river when it meanders over its floodplain. Erosion of the bank at the sharp corners eventually causes the river to cut across the neck of the large bends. When the bend is cut off it is an oxbow.

The River Cuckmere in Sussex has had several oxbows. This is a bend in the river that eventually will become an oxbow.

378697598_884bcc115b_z.jpg
 
Oxer

Oxer is a spread fence in Show Jumping. Can't find it in any dictionary. They are sometimes called a German Oxer so that might be why.

Hey Naoko- Australia beat the British Lions by one point tonight and I've got a box seat for the decider in Sydney next week.

Now what shade of green did you just turn?:D
 
Og, I used to have a reproduction of Thomas Cole's painting, The Oxbow, but it gave way to current artwork painted by my talented son.

oxblood - noun a moderate reddish brown
 
We are experiencing an extreme heat wave here, so I am up very early to water before it gets too hot. Now, I am hiding inside my cool house. Hopefully, I will get some editing done today, for a change of pace. I hope you all are enjoying your Sunday.

Here is a new one for me;

ovotestis - noun a hermaphrodite gonad
 
Madam Allard, Have you looked in the Humour section ?.
There's a load of long words there you might like.
 
Overseethe

Overseethe, to boil over,

and its irregular past participle,

oversodden, boiled over.

Note the inclusion of the verb seethe, to boil, and its obsolete past participle sodden, in these words. It may be worth mentioning that the matching (obsolete) past form is sod. While these latter words may not be "seldom-used," their old meanings, as well as the connections between the words, are certainly little known.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top