What are you reading at the moment?

EesomeBeastie

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Posts
10,008
I love a good book, and I'd like to know what the rest of you are reading. So please tell me, what are you reading at the moment?

To kick off, I'm reading:

  • Shots from the Front, the British Soldier 1914 - 1918 by Richard Holmes
  • Darkling by Yasmine Galenorn (supernatural fantasy / romance)
  • The Student's Guide to VHDL by Peter Ashenden (a programming language for programmable logic chips rather than computers)
 
I just finished re-reading Tennessee Williams' The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone

I'm about to read Freud's Portrait of Dora: A Case Study.
 
Clive Cussler's Treasure of Khan--and it has really bogged me down. Doesn't seem to want to end.
 
Sit Down and Shut Up: Punk Rock Commentaries on Buddha, God, Truth, Sex, Death, & Dogen's Treasury of the Right Dharma Eye by Brad Warner

I just finished reading his Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma, and it was amazing!

Next up: Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies, and the Truth About Reality by Warner.

I love his style :D
 
Last edited:
A12 instruction manual.

It's on cia.gov in the freedom of information section (FOIA) at the bottom of the page.

Page 232 of the manual shows that the SR71 was going to Area51.

Weird.:)
 
hum.... lets see.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (Yes, I really am.... step off!)
Freemasonry for Dummy's
That Special Someone (My movie script thats been in process for a year)
And....... a lot of threads on this message board. :)
 
hum.... lets see.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix (Yes, I really am.... step off!)
Freemasonry for Dummy's
That Special Someone (My movie script thats been in process for a year)
And....... a lot of threads on this message board. :)


Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
Unpretty by Sharon Carter Rogers
The Bone Box by Bob Hosteler
 
Clive Cussler's Treasure of Khan--and it has really bogged me down. Doesn't seem to want to end.

I :heart: his over the top stuff.

Right now I'm finishing Slow Train to Arcturus by flint & Freer: Okay, nothing special, but it's a book...know what I mean?
 
THE EXECUTIONER'S SONG by Norman Mailer

COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO by A. Dumbass

plus a collection of Charles Dickens Christmas Stories.
 
Medical equipment manuals.

When I get to an actual book or article, I'll let you know.
 
Finished SK's Just After Sunset. I can't get through Wicked. (Gregory Maguire) *sigh* I keep trying.
 
Macaulay's Lays of Ancient Rome;
C S Forester (He of Hornblower) Napoleon and His Court;
Stella Gibbons Cold Comfort Farm; and
several detective novels by Margaret Yorke.

Og
 
I just started Georgianna: Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman ( New York, 1998 ).

I'm three fourths of the way through The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments by George Johnson ( New York, 2008 ) and just finished Antonia Fraser's Love and Louis XIV: The Women In The Life of The Sun King ( New York, 1996 ). Johnson's book is a nice survey of the contributions of Galileo, Newton, Harvey, Lavoisier, Galvani, Faraday, Joule, Michelson, Pavlov and Millikan to science.

Bruce M. Beehler's A Naturalist In New Guinea ( Austin, TX, 1991 ) is a fascinating account of the author's lifelong study of the gorgeous birds of paradise. Beehler was one of a group of scientists who, in 2006, led an expedition that discovered a previously unknown and untouched ecosystem in the Foja Mountains of Papua ( previously known as Irian Jaya ). His 2008 book, Lost Worlds, ( New Haven, CT, 2008 ) is a semi-autobiographical account of that culminating expedition in which a large number of new species of birds, reptiles and mammals were discovered.

I'm slowly re-reading William Styron's Sophie's Choice ( New York, 1976 ).

Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years ( Lanham, MD, 2007 ) by S. Fred Singer, Ph.D. and Dennis T. Avery is on-deck.

 
I am reading:

Dragonfly in Amber
by Diana Gabaldon (purely indulgent and delicious historical fiction)

Good to Great~ Jim Collins (The book of all books for growing your business)
 
Last edited:
Nothing you'd want to be reading. And you already know it all, probably. :( (college textbooks)
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm, what am I reading?

Let's see here. (Digs through mountain of books on coffee table.)

"The Templars, the secret history revealed" Barbara Frale

"Viral and Rickettsial infections of Man" Thomas M. Rivers

"Midnight Ride" by Me. (I'm reading it before editing it once again.)

For my fun reading I'm going through Proficient Motorcycling by William Hugh. (I've read this I don't know how many times but I still learn from it.)

Cat
 
I'm slowly re-reading William Styron's Sophie's Choice ( New York, 1976 ).

Is it any good? The whole concept just makes me want to curl into a ball and never come out of a fetal position again... is it as painful as the movie?

:eek:
 
I just finished reading his Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma, and it was amazing!

I just had that book in my hand yesterday, and set it down in place of another. I know I'll just end up going back and getting it anyway. :rolleyes:

Just finished "Look Me in the Eye... my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison on Asperger's Syndrome.

Just starting "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult.

And various smut books, here and there. :eek:
 
Just finished the fourth in the Donovan Legacy series by Nora Roberts (1 .Captivated, 2. Entranced, 3. Charmed and 4. Enchanted) about a family of witches.

Currently between books, but my choices are:

Ready
Wiling
And Able (all three by Lucy Monroe)

Cell by Stephen King

and

Mercury's War by Lora Leigh
 
Fiction:
Erlend Loe - Doppler
I consider it a crime against humanity that this guy's books aren't translated into English more. You have no idea what you're missing.

Non fiction:
Charles Darwin - Autobiography
Just started. I'll let you know what I think of it later.

Misc:
Idries Shah - The Exploits of the Incomparable Mulla Nasrudin
Essential reading for islamophobes.
 
Finished SK's Just After Sunset. I can't get through Wicked. (Gregory Maguire) *sigh* I keep trying.

Ditto about Wicked. Had it on the bedside table for months because we had tickets to the touring show. Never managed to finish it and the half I did read bore no resemblance to the musical anyway.:(

Right now I have three books on the go:
  • The All-Volunteer Force: Thirty Years of Service about abolishing the draft in the US and transforming the composition of the military.
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, a mystery by Diana Gabaldon and
  • Opening the eye of new awareness, Dalai Lama

The latest Dick Francis novel is on hold at the library. Will pick it up this weekend.
 
Hmmm...lessee here...

Flu: The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It- A. Gina Kolata

The Enduring Shore: A History of Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, and Nantucket- A. Paul Schneider

Uncle Johns Unsinkable Bathroom Reader (21st Edition) -A. The
Bathroom Readers' Institute (Numerous contributors).

The last book is a treasure trove of trivia. :D
 
As always, I reading what I'm editing. In this case, A GLBT BDSM anthology called Broadly Bound that will be out later this year. Also reading Eldon Thompson's Legend of Asahiel.

I've got such a huge TBR pile it is just impossible, even if I were to concentrate only on things from writers I've met and gotten to know a bit. A hazard of going to all these conferences and conventions, I guess.
 
Actually, right now I'm reading my new copy of Shelter From the Storm by our very own Molly Wens :D

So far, I've really enjoyed it ...
 
Is it any good? The whole concept just makes me want to curl into a ball and never come out of a fetal position again... is it as painful as the movie?

:eek:

The short answer is "yes." Styron is not "uplifting." That's just the nature of the beast. As you probably know, the subject of his 1990 Darkness Visible was the story of his battle with depression.

The Confessions of Nat Turner was an eye-opener for many people ( it certainly was for me ) who were previously unaware of the history of slave rebellions in the U.S. It was Styron's breakthrough work, a huge commercial success and firmly planted him in the national consciousness ( as well as in the eye of a controversy— how dare a white writer write the story of a previously obscure African-American and endeavor to place himself in the shoes of a slave !! ).

Styron had an extensive vocabulary and his writing is polished. Discovering that we shared a similar cultural background as well as other ties, I became interested in reading more. I've always been a sucker for good writers who touch on regional history and my ( disappearing/destroyed ) regional culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styron,_William


 
Back
Top