Save the Cheerleader

ArcticAvenue

Randomly Pawing At Keys
Joined
Jul 16, 2013
Posts
1,650
((Closed for DeliciousMaiden))



Marcus had to admit to himself that he really liked his world, even if it was missing real girls. His world was one where spies, counter intelligence, and secret societies controlled everything being done inside and out; and if the heroes could get the right break at the right time the world would be a better place. Heros with super strength or super telepathy could make things go the way they want. It was in the games he played, the movies he watched, and even the books he wrote. It may have been a fantasy world, but it was still an awesome place to be. He even let this fantasy fall into his own real world. He is going for a degree in biological sciences in hopes to become the next lab tech at central intelligence, or whatever the black operations equivalent to that would be.

It was, however, missing girls. Real girls. Not the fantasy blonde bimbos that act like they could do better until a few martinis has them naked in your bed, or in the hot tub, or in your shower the next morning. Real women, or for that matter real bimbos. Twenty years without even putting his hand on a real boob is getting to Marcus. He really needs to change that.

It’s one thing, though, for his main character to sashay over to that girl at the end of the bar and offer to buy her a drink; or fall out of the sky and pick up the damsel to fly her to a cloud top fortress. It’s another thing for him to look at the slightly bulky brunette sitting next to him in Organic Chemistry and ask her what she’s doing this friday night. It’s just not what Marcus is good at. His world may have been pretty awesome, but the real world doesn’t have planet destroying catastrophes that need the help of a pretty girl to save the day.

Until one day, he had an idea. What if he tried to be that main character. Tried to act, think, and talk like him. It’s possible, he writes in the mind of that main character doesn’t he? It would be easy if there was a plot they could work together to solve. But what if he could write that as well? Not try to blow the world up, but if he could convince the girl …

His mind flashed with the possibilities. He thought of the story lines, the powers he would have to recreate, and the tools he would need to use. It all came together easily enough, he just had to pick the right damsel. The right girl.

More directly, the right bimbo.

Yes … the perfect bimbo … Mandy!

polls_guy_4347_725687_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Mandy

asu-cheerleader-alicia(03).jpg



If you'd asked Mandy if she was happy with life, she'd respond instantly that she was, after all what was there to complain about? She wasn't the type of girl to angst about anything; she was pretty enough and popular enough and content with her lot. Above all she was a cheer leader, which in Mandy-world was the height of success! She didn't excel as a student, but then again, she didn't waste time worrying about what she simply couldn't do; she got by and passed her classes, though her grades were far from the best. It wasn't that she was lazy, perhaps it was fairer to say she 'had a short attention span' and was 'easily distracted'?
She wasn't really totally sure of how to actually 'study'; the concepts of focus, concentration and application meant nothing to her. She regarded the 'nerd' or 'geek' types in her classes with a combination of awe and suspicion, as if they had some 'mystical innate ability' to achieve what she considered the impossible.

Perhaps the main reason that Mandy considered herself to be a happy girl was her lack of awareness of the world which she inhabited or the way other students perceived her. Mandy was 'nice' so no one ridiculed or bullied her, or at least she wasn't aware if they did; however very few of the more 'savvy' students sought her out. This never concerned her for she hung out most of the time with the other cheerleader types who like her seemed to attract the attention of the popular 'jocks'.

Romantically, Mandy had dated many of these guys, but dates never seemed to develop to any kind of regular relationship; either she was left hanging with the 'I'll-call-you' promise after a date or two, or the guy assumed that she was easy and the date ended quickly when he discovered his mistake. Only on a couple of occasions had Mandy found herself really attracted to a guy, but for some inexplicable reason it never worked out: Mandy simply couldn't understand why guys who were so charming, so attentive and who convinced her that she was special, so much so that she 'put out' and enjoyed several intensely 'physical' dates, somehow suddenly seemed to be 'busy' or stopped calling or suddenly seemed to have moved on to date other girls?
Several times this had happened to Mandy leaving her confused and hurt.
Yet it never crossed her mind that she might have been played.

But one thing you could definitely say about Mandy was, that she never let anything get her down for too long. Time and again, she picked herself up and just got on with life. She was sure that some day she'd meet the right guy; someone nice who would be honest with her and treat her well ... some day ...
 
It was unseasonably warm October day, but it made for a great day of football. The campus was alive with energy. You could smell grills cooking all sorts of meat, there was bars open early, and everywhere you went people had school colors of all different kinds. By the late morning, the buzz on campus quieted as the tens of thousands here poured into hallowed confines in preparation of the big game. Once kick-off had come, the campus was as dead as the post-apocalyptic world. Here, where football is more important than degree the school offers, the school stops all together just to watch the game - even this early season game is world changing to most their fans.

It used to be that this was Marcus’s favorite time to study, where even the librarians took time off to watch the game. Today, he is like the rest of the masses, and holds his ticket to game. Unlike the rest of them, he has no intention to watch more than he needs to. He finished setting up the “meeting room” the night before, an empty, basically unwanted locker room in the bowels of the stadium he found with just a quick scan of stadium blueprints. The rest of his goods were “borrowed” from the different engineering departments. It was all too easy ever since the school went to a key card system. On five fake badged, he had access to practically any door in a 15 mile radius.

His plan only had a couple of variables to it, and even those were working out in his favor. Sitting in his seat, he could easily see Mandy cheering with the rest of her squad. The warm weather meant they forgo the long pants and jackets for the classic mini-skirts and tight tops. She seemed in good spirits, full of energy, which is good because Marcus worried she would have a bad day or something to screw all of this up. Then the game fell his way too.

Early on, the rivals had drove the ball down deep into scoring position, and as they stood on the goalline Marcus could see Mandy pressing her pom-poms together in a near prayer. She seemed incredibly sweet like that; her soft blonde hair feathering in the breeze, her tanned skin unblemished and shimmering in the sun. When the rival running back tried to burst through the line, the football squirted out landing in the hands of one of ours, and in no time he was running the length of the field -- what was almost a score against us, became like magic and a score for us. “Remember that,” Marcus said to himself amongst the madness in the crowd.

He wanted to sit there and watch her for a while longer, but that would be creepy, and he had work to do. He snuck down amongst the bowels of the stadium to make sure the room was still in order. When he could hear the halls grow louder with halftime, he stayed put, stayed quiet, and waited. When the game resumed he left the room to execute the most daring part of his plan. It ended up to be pretty easy to pull off, as worried as he was; but still where if he was caught would be no talking your way out of it. With a swipe of the key card, he was inside the cheerleader’s locker room. It didn’t seem like a place they used for changing, their stuff just seemed to be kept here. Plus it looked like the guy cheerleaders used the same place so … it wasn’t the naughty hall of hotness a guy like Marcus could expect. But this wasn’t about naughty, this was about passing a message.

Marcus wasn’t sure how to find Mandy’s locker at first, but that was way easier - her name was on Everything! He taped an envelope onto the back of the locker with her proper name: “Amanda” on it. Inside, he had in common font the words:
“As quickly as you can, meet me in Room 149. Good work today. We have much to discuss.
-- Your Handler.”

Returning undetected to the meeting room, Marcus sat back, and waited.
 
It was a big game and Mandy was beside herself with excitement! She had been to practices all week and some of her closest friends of the squad had met her between lessons to try out some of their new chants and moves so they were truly prepared for this great event. Sure her studies had suffered a bit and home study had gone undone, but Mandy figured she could catch up with it after the weekend and those papers that were due in before, she had batted her baby blues and promise faithfully to complete the work ready for the next class, a strategy which had, as ever been met exasperated indulgence.

Mandy loved being in the midst of the buzz of expectation that a game brought. The stadium was packed and the tension high. As ever her attention was fully upon the field of play and once the game started she was oblivious to the spectators. And on this day competition was hard. Along with the others she stood and watched the flair of the opposition as Mandy willed that skilful advance to be thwarted by her home team. Incredibly the direction of play changed in one unexpected move and soon it was her team who were scoring. Mandy was jubilant and went crazy with her pompoms, before remembering herself and getting into formation to join the official celebratory dance and chant, which then developed into ever increasing encouragement as she sang and kicked and flipped and shook her pompoms for all she was worth!

It was a close run game, but the home team came out on top and Mandy was jubilant if exhausted; in truth she felt like she’d played the entire game alongside the guys, but that was the idea of cheerleading, the support was the ‘extra man’ and she believed the level of their commitment and support made all the difference. They hit the locker room, still chattering excitedly and making swapping plans and making arrangements for how they would celebrate. Mandy went to her locker to draw out the pink rucksack which held her phone and cash along with cosmetics and brush. She halted as she saw an envelope uncharacteristically labelled Amanda. Eyeing it warily she pulled it off her locker as she pulled out the sparkly pink bag and folded up the sports jacket and trousers that she had left laid out before the labelled locker. Those would be used another day, but for now she would remain in the skirt and top combination she favoured. Clicking the combination into place, Mandy glanced around, almost instinctively ensuring that no one was looking and opened the envelope to take out the blank sheet of paper with a typed message inside.

“As quickly as you can, meet me in Room 149. Good work today. We have much to discuss.
-- Your Handler.”


She blinked. She didn’t understand the message at all. What did handler mean? What was there to discuss? And why was the note left on her locker like that?

”Mand’ you heading out with us?”

Came the invitation from across the locker room.

”Where are you goin’? I’ll meet you later maybe … “

Mandy responded absent-mindedly as she wondered where room 149 actually was.

”Jakes Diner … we’ll be there a coupla hours … “

Mandy nodded.

”Sounds good … I just need to sort a few things … then I’ll head over later, ok?”

She slung her bag over one shoulder and headed out of the locker room, making her way to the reception where she found some coins and got a cold soda, sipping at the drink as she re-read the letter again.

”Room 149 … ?”

She consulted the stadium plan and sure enough it showed the room as being tucked away on a lower level. For sure it wasn’t somewhere she had been before. It was all strange, but she figured she could go have a look at least, so empty soda bottle discarded, she made her way down the steps, her shoes making no sound on the stone stairs until she came to a basement like level and saw a sign indicating that the room she sought was along the corridor. Picking her way hesitantly, she came to the door labelled 149. All was silent. There was most likely nobody there and it was just a practical joke. Still she pushed the door open and stepped inside.

”Hey … anyone here …?”

She called out tentatively …
 
In the dark, Marcus saw the door open, and heard her voice. He remained steady and in control in the swivel chair across the open room from her. He had set the lights in the room for the optimal effect; where she would enter there would light at its brightest but where he sat it was black and shadowy. All of this was calm, controlled, and contained all within plan.

Of course, in his mind he was shouting “Holy Crap She’s Here!”

“You got my note, Good!” He remained seated, leaving his hands comfortably on the chair arms. “Lock the door behind you, and come closer and stand there where I can see you.”

She didn’t move without question but he was quick to get to a point.

“I am going to be discussing some things about you that will be enlightening, and may explain some things about yourself you might have always guessed to be true. After today though the committee decided it was time I stepped in and guided you the rest of the way.”

He considered getting up to stand at the edge of the light, but he didn’t intend to have to hide a growing problem in his trousers.

“I am your handler, Amanda. I am only here to help.”
 
Mandy peered into the dark room. No one was there, of course. But even so, she pushed the door open and blinked as she found herself in a pool of light.

“You got my note, Good!”

A voice came from the far end of the room. She took another step forward and thought she could make out a shadowing outline of a man seated in a chair at the far end of the room?

“Lock the door behind you, and come closer and stand there where I can see you.”

His voice seemed to be confident, commanding, but Mandy didn't like it one bit and retreated a step instead.

“I am going to be discussing some things about you that will be enlightening, and may explain some things about yourself you might have always guessed to be true."

His words didn't make sense. Who was he and how did he know her.

"After today though the committee decided it was time I stepped in and guided you the rest of the way.”

She shook her head as he spoke.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not on any committee ... "

She told him puzzled.

“I am your handler, Amanda. I am only here to help.”

She took a step forward despite herself.

"A handler?"

She asked recalling that this was the way her note has been signed.

"What does that mean ...?"

She'd heard of dog handlers, but other than that ...

"Why did you want me to meet you ... and why here...?"

She stepped forward as she began to turn around slowly trying to take in her surroundings, wondering why he wanted to meet her in this strange room.

"You sure don't believe in chatting over a soda do ya?"

She quipped nervously.

She would give him 5 more minutes at most she decided.
The guy was weird, but ... she was curious all the same ...
 
Last edited:
He was beginning to get giddy. ‘Calm yourself Marcus’, he told himself, ‘you don’t have her yet.’

“No, Mandy,” he laughed, “chatting over a soda wasn’t my first thought. I asked you to meet me here, because if we were seen in public the Russians could start catching on to your powers.”

He took a deep breath, tried to hide his nervousness, and stepped into the light.

“My name is Marcus, but you can think of me as your handler.” In his hand was a simple tablet computer like any other student would be carrying. He stood in a simple pair of blue jeans, cotton t-shirt with the school colors and logo on it, and unremarkable running shoes. He looked like he could fit in with any student at the school, mostly because he was ‘any student at the school’ but that wasn’t the point now. “The committee became aware of abilities you have some time ago, and they had me come here to first observe you, protect you, and when the time came to help you. You showed me today, out there in the field, that soon you won’t be able to hide your power from the Russians. So now is the time for me to step in.”

Keying off her nervousness, he turned his head before she could question anything, “you do know what powers I speak of, don’t you? Your telekinesis?”
 
“No, Mandy, chatting over a soda wasn’t my first thought."

His laughter seemed normal enough, but his words as he continued did nothing but puzzle her further.

"I asked you to meet me here, because if we were seen in public the Russians could start catching on to your powers.”

She had no idea what he meant with his talk of Russians and powers, but before she could ask he moved into the light and she took in the sight of a young man who looked just like one of the students on her campus.

“My name is Marcus, but you can think of me as your handler.”

The relief and intention to dismiss this as a silly joke was brought short by the earnestness of his words. Again he spoke of being her 'handler'. Whatever could that mean?

“The committee became aware of abilities you have some time ago, and they had me come here to first observe you, protect you, and when the time came to help you. You showed me today, out there in the field, that soon you won’t be able to hide your power from the Russians. So now is the time for me to step in.”

It was too much to process. She had never seen this guy before ... had she?
What was so special about today? What had he seen?
More to the point, what did she need protecting from?

" ..you do know what powers I speak of, don’t you? Your telekinesis?”

She shook her head in bewilderment.

"Tele-kee-what?"

She questioned, not even recognising the word.

"You must have made a mistake. I have no powers and ... all this talk of committees and Russians ... "

She was protesting, but he had her spooked.

"How can people be watching me? And ... Russians... you're kidding right ...?"

She asked him hopefully.
 
"You must have made a mistake. I have no powers and ... all this talk of committees and Russians ... How can people be watching me? And ... Russians... you're kidding right ...?"

He practiced this smile in the mirror religiously; one that says both ‘everything’s alright’ and ‘you know so little my little naive dumpling’. His hand found her forearm patting it softly with intent to reassure her, but his resolve started to crack when he nearly gulped over how soft her skin felt.

“Mandy, you are okay. They haven’t found you yet, or else you would know they had. Now that I am here, I am going to make sure they don’t. When you leave here today, we’ll be protecting you. I will be protecting you.”

He locked his eyes onto her’s, those beautifully sweet eyes that were like looking into magic pools of wonderful. He slid his hand down her arm to her hand, offering to take it reassuredly.

“Now, do you remember during the game, early on. Our boys were back against the wall. They were driving deep and were on the verge of a touchdown. Do you remember that? Do you remember what you were thinking? Do you remember what you were hoping for?”
 
Mandy wanted him to say it was all a joke, that he had been kidding around, but his expression said just the reverse. She knew very little about Russians and all that, but it couldn't be good. For the first time she wished that she'd actually locked the door as he had told her. She looked nervously behind her, but it still seemed deserted. She turned as his hand touched her arm reassuringly, her eyes locking with his once more.

“Mandy, you are okay. They haven’t found you yet, or else you would know they had."

She nodded, that brief panic stilling.

"Now that I am here, I am going to make sure they don’t.
When you leave here today, we’ll be protecting you. I will be protecting you.”


Again she nodded wordlessly, as she accepted his protection, literally put her hand into his.
Whatever this was, she was out of her depth and obviously needed his guidance in this.

“Now, do you remember during the game, early on."

He started, though she could not think what relevance the game had to all this.

"Our boys were back against the wall.
They were driving deep and were on the verge of a touchdown.
Do you remember that?"


She nodded slowly.

"Yes, yes I remember, why?"

She was obviously puzzled.

"Do you remember what you were thinking?
Do you remember what you were hoping for?”


She was intrigued, but didn't see the point in what he was asking.

"Nothing really ... just ... wanting our boys to win, wanting us to score, wanting Karl to outrun the opposition,"

She named the player who had made the touchdown.

" ... it was so close ... they could have caught him, but ... somehow he just shot down the field ... got the ball over the touch line ... "
 
Last edited:
He held her hand, while barely able to hold his excitement.

“Nothing really ... just ... wanting our boys to win, wanting us to score, wanting Karl to outrun the opposition, ... it was so close ... they could have caught him, but ... somehow he just shot down the field ... got the ball over the touch line ... "


“I could see more, Mandy,” he reassured. “Nothing in the game caused that ball to come free, nothing should have let the ball fall to Karl. Yet it did. You made that happen. You thought about what you wanted and it happened. Then when you wanted Karl to score, he shot down the field. He didn’t run that fast because of his own talent, you were pushing him the whole way. Whether you knew it or not, you made him go that fast.”

He raised their hands up still clasped together so that they were chest level. He didn’t know why really, but he kinda hoped she would pull them into her chest so he can have a feel. Pushing his luck maybe, but that is probably going to be the theme for the afternoon.

“You are capable of doing special things, Mandy. Because you ARE special. Do you believe me?”
 
“I could see more, Mandy,”

He told her.

“Nothing in the game caused that ball to come free, nothing should have let the ball fall to Karl. Yet it did. You made that happen."

Her eyes widened in shock at his words.

"You thought about what you wanted and it happened.
Then when you wanted Karl to score, he shot down the field.
He didn’t run that fast because of his own talent, you were pushing him the whole way.
Whether you knew it or not, you made him go that fast.”


She shook her head incredulously. It couldn't be possible ... could it ...?
Karl trained well and was more than capable of making a run like that.
But... he had shot off suddenly so ...
Mandy offered no resistance as Marcus raised her hands.

“You are capable of doing special things, Mandy. Because you ARE special. Do you believe me?”

She didn't want to believe him.

" ... no ... "

She told him, her denial weak. She had heard about stuff like that somewhere before, hadn't she? But even if it existed, how could it be she who was capable of willing something to happen. She definitely didn't consider herself a special type of person! Drawing her hands away from him, she wrapped them protectively across herself instead.

"I don't want to be special."

She told him.

"Is there any way I can stop it?"

She asked anxiously directly contradicting her earlier response that she didn't even believe him ...
 
Marcus sighed heavily, chewing on a lip as she wrapped herself in her arms. The room they were in was warm, and the rising tension building made it feel warmer. The way she reacted, though, triggered some instinct in him to feel sorry for what she was now beginning to grasp. He raised his hand and put it on her arm, nearly feeling the need to hold her himself.

“It’s who you are, Mandy. You are special, you always been special. I’ve been watching you for a long time. I don’t know if you remember, but we were in a class together a couple times. I remember sitting there on one side of the room and you on the other, and I could tell … the way you talked to people, the way you could make people smile. You can’t help yourself .. You Are Special.”

He paused not sure what to say next, to make her feel better. Then a voice in his head said ‘Dude, you're off script. Don’t freak her out.’

“T-that is,” he stumbled, “these powers you have. It is who you are. You always had them.”

He swallowed heavily hoping that he didn’t screw this up so early. Stuff like that, the soft kind stuff, that the stuff that he screws up. That’s why he has to do these things to get a girl. It’s because she is special is why he has to trick a girl like Mandy into doing anything.

“But knowing now, knowing what you can do. That would mean you can control who sees what you can and cannot do. It might mean that some may never stop looking for you, but if they don’t see what I see then you will always be safe. Does that make sense?”
 
“It’s who you are, Mandy. You are special, you always been special."

His hand was on her arm reassuring her even as he told her what seemed the inevitable.

"I’ve been watching you for a long time. I don’t know if you remember, but we were in a class together a couple times."

She looked at him anew. He had seemed vaguely familiar, but she didn't remember him as having been in any of her classes, but then he looked like the kind of guy who was much better at studies than her, so most likely he was in the group who didn't usually bother about her and her friends.

"I remember sitting there on one side of the room and you on the other, and I could tell … the way you talked to people, the way you could make people smile. You can’t help yourself .. You Are Special.”

She blushed at his words. For a moment he was just a guy who had seen her and liked her. He was a bit geeky, but cute she decided and definitely nice.

“T-that is, these powers you have. It is who you are. You always had them.”

She had let herself think that he had been talking about her personality, but of course all he was concerned about were these strange and unwelcome powers.

“But knowing now, knowing what you can do. That would mean you can control who sees what you can and cannot do. It might mean that some may never stop looking for you, but if they don’t see what I see then you will always be safe. Does that make sense?”

She shook her head in confusion.

"No ... I have no idea what you're on about."

She told him simply.

"What am I supposed to do now? If there are people after me, can't we go to the police?"

His words about people who would never stop looking for her had freaked her.

"Whatever it is I'm supposed to do, we have to make it stop."

She told him. She simply wanted her life back.
 
He peered into her eyes, saw the confusion, the pain, the concern.. His head spun a little, this wasn’t going to his plan. She reacted in a way that he hadn’t thought about, and it made him uncomfortable. Seriously, how could she reject this? Who doesn’t deep down not want to have super powers?

All he could readily do is verbalize his shock. “I … I didn’t realize … you could not want this. I mean, sometimes all I think about is what it would be like to have abilities like you have.”

He scratched his head weighing the options. She was sweet, even though she was a bit off. It was that thought that brought him back, why he did all this to begin with, what was his plan. He started where his mind went to first.

“Mandy, I can tell you, those who would come for you haven’t done anything wrong yet - so going to the police now or anytime soon - won’t do anything. They don’t know about you yet either, so for now you are safe living your life like nothing is different. The committee knows you exist, but don’t know who you are either. Until you are ready, this can stay a secret between you and me … until we figure out if your powers can be any stronger than they are now. This is something we can practice, if that is what you want.”

He took a deep breath, like a large sigh.

“If you want this to go away, there may be a way we can make that happen. I don’t know if you are going to like that anymore. I don’t know if it is permanent either, or if I can stay around you as your handler if we do this.”

“But it is your decision.”
 
“I … I didn’t realize … you could not want this. I mean, sometimes all I think about is what it would be like to have abilities like you have.”

His shock at her response surprised Mandy. She had thought more about the fact of being watched, being in danger, being not normal ... she hadn't thought that these 'abilities' might be something she would want to have?

“Mandy, I can tell you, those who would come for you haven’t done anything wrong yet - so going to the police now or anytime soon - won’t do anything.
They don’t know about you yet either, so for now you are safe living your life like nothing is different."


That made her feel a bit better at least.

"The committee knows you exist, but don’t know who you are either. Until you are ready, this can stay a secret between you and me … until we figure out if your powers can be any stronger than they are now. This is something we can practice, if that is what you want.”

So, .... HE ... was the only one who knew about her and these powers, for the moment at least?

“If you want this to go away, there may be a way we can make that happen.
I don’t know if you are going to like that anymore. I don’t know if it is permanent either, or if I can stay around you as your handler if we do this.
But it is your decision.”


He seemed to be wanting her to decide there and there, but she couldn't.

"I don't know what I want."

She told him simply.

"I still don't even know what powers you think I have ... "

Surely what he described could not really be?

"Why are you called my handler?"

She asked him.

"If you don't tell anyone about me, then there can't be any danger can there?
As long as I don't use the powers you say I have?"


She suggested hopefully.
 
A smile broke across his lips. In a way he felt like he was back in. Still had a chance. The plan continued to move forward, and maybe, just maybe, he still will get some more ground.

“It’s not if you don’t use the powers, it’s if you get in control of them, and you keep others from seeing it. Maybe if I explained them better, its part of what I learned as a handler. Maybe if I tell you what I know, maybe we can try it out. Or try some things to see if we can get it to work.”

He took a chance by placing his hand on her hip, but keeping his eyes locked towards hers.

“Theoretically, it is triggered when you get really excited, and you want something to happen. Like during the game, when the guy picked up the ball and started running. You got really excited and wanted him to cross the goal line. It needs your adrenaline to really get going, it’s the hormones that give it it’s power. Also, the less in the way of your body the stronger the result. Like, forget about trying to do it through walls or windows. Even clothes seem to slow it down. Lucky for you, your cheerleader uniform is so revealing.”

He fought the temptation to look down at the uniform as he mentioned it. Heck, he was touching it, which was exciting enough, but he wanted more, much more. It was time to try her limits.

“You want to give it a try? Just you and me in here, no one else will see you.”
 
“It’s not if you don’t use the powers, it’s if you get in control of them, and you keep others from seeing it."

Mandy nodded as she tried to understand.

"Maybe if I explained them better, its part of what I learned as a handler.
Maybe if I tell you what I know, maybe we can try it out.
Or try some things to see if we can get it to work.”


She smiled. Rather than suggesting it was her fault she didn't understand he seemed to think that it was he who should explain it all better!

“Theoretically, it is triggered when you get really excited, and you want something to happen."

His eyes held hers, his voice earnest as he continued.

"Like during the game, when the guy picked up the ball and started running."

She nodded, remembering.

"You got really excited and wanted him to cross the goal line.
It needs your adrenaline to really get going, it’s the hormones that give it it’s power."


Somehow that made sense.

"Also, the less in the way of your body the stronger the result. Like, forget about trying to do it through walls or windows. Even clothes seem to slow it down. Lucky for you, your cheerleader uniform is so revealing.”

She found it surprising that clothes slowed it down, but then again all the superheroes in the comic wore strange and probably revealing costumes, so ... perhaps that was why she supposed.

“You want to give it a try? Just you and me in here, no one else will see you.”

She hesitated, then nodded slowly.

"I guess ... it couldn't hurt just to try ... "

Mandy responded shyly.
 
The smile he gave her was reassuring, gentle, kind. Deep down, it was filled with tinge of evil, and mroe than enough hope to last a while.

“Right. Behind me, against the wall, there is a lamp. It’s back there in the dark.”

He tried his best to contain his excitement, he already started to feel his heart start to race. This was the big moment, if he can pull this off, it gets easier from here on out.

“I want you to think about that lamp. I want you to think how you would like to turn it on. Don’t worry about how it would turn on, just want it to turn on, that’s all.”

He watched her intently, watched her reactions to his words. Then pushed it to the next level.

“Time to help you out,” he said as he slid around her to stand right behind her with the two of them facing the dark lamp. He moved the hand that was on her hip around to her stomach and laid it flat against her, meaning he stood within inches of her from behind. Over her shoulder he whispered reassuringly, “I want you to feel the warmth of me next to you, let it be like someone you care about close to you. Feel your heart beat rise up, feel your blood start to flow, feel your body warm. Then think, ‘I want the lamp to turn on’. Want that light on, want it more than anything.”

He stood, ready, waiting to feel that she has accepted this. Waiting to get a sign she really believes this is going to work. Waiting for that moment to move his free hand to his pocket, to push the button, and make that light he rigged up turn on … as if it was her the whole time.
 
“Right. Behind me, against the wall, there is a lamp. It’s back there in the dark.”

Mandy glanced behind him, but could see nothing.

“I want you to think about that lamp. I want you to think how you would like to turn it on."

She knew this was not going to work before they even started. He seemed to sense her doubt.

"Don’t worry about how it would turn on, just want it to turn on, that’s all.”

She looked towards the dark, but she didn't know what it was like, so how could she will it to switch on?

“Time to help you out,”

He didn't give up on her, instead he stood behind her and faced the darkness with her. He felt his hand move to her stomach and could feel his breath upon her neck as he spoke.

“I want you to feel the warmth of me next to you, let it be like someone you care about close to you. Feel your heart beat rise up, feel your blood start to flow, feel your body warm. Then think, ‘I want the lamp to turn on’. Want that light on, want it more than anything.”

She could feel him, feel his warmth, but the lamp ...?

"I can't."

She pulled away from him and turned to face him once more.

"How can I get excited about a stupid lamp I've never seen?"

She shook her head.

"... and I'm late ... I shoulda been out of here ages ago ... "

She took several steps away from him.

"I can't deal with this right now, ok?"

She wasn't a 'serious' type of girl and the whole situation had her freaked.
 
He stood firm, strong, and confident. This character he created for himself would be like that. Yet the real him shuddered to break through. He fought to keep from dropping his head and sulking away, but whatever he wanted her to believe about him still remained on the hard coating in front. If anything, he had to allow himself to show disappointment, yet it all was about the same.

This was a rejection. The same type of rejection he would expect a hundred times over from any girl as pretty as Mandy. Sure it was a fake thing he created, but still she rejected the strongest of guys he felt he could create.

He had to say something though, the pause became too long between them.

“If that is your choice then. I am sure you will be safe as long as your powers don’t take a huge leap forward in the next few weeks or months - but that rarely happens. If you feel something strong, deep inside you that you can’t explain, I want you to give me a call - I can give you my number.”

Where is this coming from, he started to wonder. None of this was part of his plan, he didn’t plan on getting rejected. Let alone giving Mandy his number. He doesn’t just give girls his number.

“Keep this to yourself, and I will do the same. If its just our secret then we both will remain safe.”

That hard shell on the outside began to crumble, and he turned toward his bag in the darkness to not let her see him.

“I-I can count on you to not tell anyone, can’t I? Mandy? …. P-please?”
 
Many was frightened; frightened by the mystical powers he said she possessed, frightened of the people who were watching even following her. She needed help, but couldn't deal with the reality of what he had told her. She saw he was disappointed in her and she was upset that in some way she had let him down.

“If that is your choice then."

He said finally.

"I am sure you will be safe as long as your powers don’t take a huge leap forward in the next few weeks or months - but that rarely happens. If you feel something strong, deep inside you that you can’t explain, I want you to give me a call - I can give you my number.”

As reassurances went, his words only added to her anxiety. She didn't want this to be happening, but, it seemed it was.
Wordlessly she nodded and accepted his number, being sure to tuck it away safely.

“Keep this to yourself, and I will do the same.
If its just our secret then we both will remain safe.”


He turned away moving into the darkness leaving her alone for long seconds, long enough to realise that the carefree way she had gone about life was a thing of the past whether she liked it of not.

“I-I can count on you to not tell anyone, can’t I? Mandy? …. P-please?”

His voice sounded ... strange ... fearful? Did he realise that without him she was at risk of ... of being taken over by her powers, being taken by some faceless enemy?

"That's it?! You're just going to leave me to deal with this on my own?!"

She asked the darkness incredulously.

"I thought you were supposed to be my handler, to be looking out for me...?"

Her voice was panicked.

"What am I supposed to do now? I'm hardly going to tell someone and end up being grabbed by the Russians or whoever is out there ... "

She shuddered, looking up as he finally stepped out of that blank darkness.

"Marcus ... I'm scared. Please, help me ... "

She begged him, her eyes swimming with tears.
 
He reached a wall in his mind. He didn’t want to turn back to her to see the conflict in his head. He just wanted to sneak away and feel sorry for himself, to just put this stupid idea behind him and allow her to go ahead to ignore him the rest of their lives.

"I thought you were supposed to be my handler, to be looking out for me...?" "What am I supposed to do now? ...

He could hear the panic in her voice. It was clear as day. He turned back to her while still in the dark, and she looked so small, like a scared little girl in her cheerleader skirt and sneakers. It was heartbreaking. Yet he did this, he caused this. What started as a way to just get a feel up on Mandy, possibly even getting her to take her top off. Now she is becoming wrecked; and he was the one that wrecked her.

He stepped back into the light. His face remained stoic and serious, but fought to hide his compassion for her fear, even feeling his lip quiver softly.

"Marcus ... I'm scared. Please, help me ... ".

He moved to be right in front of her, reaching for her hands and taking them in his. She was the most beautiful girl he ever knew. She was every part of a dream girl in his mind. This evil plan, this horrible thing he did, it almost is worth it just to have her so close to him in this moment without running away in the least. Yet he needed to fix this. He closed his eyes, though for a brief pause and the words came.

“Amanda, I am your handler,” he said just above a whisper. “I will be your protector until I know you can protect yourself. It’s my duty even if you may never even see me at work, or even see me at all. Whether you need time now, need space, or just need your life back to normal; it doesn’t change this duty.”

He smirked slightly trying to cheer her up. “Still, I think your powers might be weaker than I first thought. I’m trained to reject that power, but you really … really … wanted me to come out of the darkness there. Only in the end did I let you use your power to bring me to you. I wanted to be here too.”
 
She was relieved as he stood before her once more' reassured as he moved closer and took her hands in his. She found she was almost holding her breath waiting for his reply, willing him not to leave her.

“Amanda, I am your handler,”

His use of her full name somehow made him sound more authoritative, more in control.

“I will be your protector until I know you can protect yourself."

Relief filled her and gratitude that he had not merely walked away.

"It’s my duty even if you may never even see me at work, or even see me at all. Whether you need time now, need space, or just need your life back to normal; it doesn’t change this duty.”

She nodded acknowledging that he wasn't helping her because he liked or wanted to, but because of having been appointed to be her handler.

“Still, I think your powers might be weaker than I first thought.
I’m trained to reject that power, but you really … really … wanted me to come out of the darkness there.
Only in the end did I let you use your power to bring me to you. I wanted to be here too.”


She listened to his words, taking long moments to process them.

"I did want you to come back into the light ... "

She told him hesitantly.

" ... and to be my handler ... not just walk away ... "

The expressions played over her face, understanding, incredulity, fear and finally a slow smile.

"I did that? Is that what you meant...?"

Finally she had at least a bit of an understanding of what it was he had told her she could do...
 
There was something in the way she said it, something in the softness and kind smile.

"I did want you to come back into the light ... and to be my handler ... not just walk away ... "

This facade he created, this character he wanted to show her, it began to crack. Near subconsciously, he started to move his thumbs, stroking the back of her hand with soft gentle arcs. She wanted him, she admitted it that she wanted him. Maybe just to be near her, but minutes ago he was sure she was rejecting him but now not at all.

"I did that? Is that what you meant...?"

The power. The fake power he made up. A reminder of it brought him back to remember he had to continue the lie.

“Yeah,” he admitted. “Well, kinda, yeah. I mean .. like I said … it was weak.” He stumbled his words, and it was something he couldn’t stop from happening. The real Marcus, the shy lonely Marcus, kept wanting to come to the top now that he was so close.

He swallowed hard and found a little more confidence.

“It was weak, and I am trained to feel for when you are using it. Others … you could make them do something, if you aren’t strong enough they won’t do it and won’t even notice it. Me though … I’ll know … and I’ll decide if I will let you control me. I came in from the dark because you wanted me to; and I wanted to.”

Marcus began to wonder where this was coming from, and for that part what was the end goal of it. He just suggested she should control him, but that wasn’t the plan, that was never the plan. He took a deep breath and he gave her a warm smile when he got it.

“Thing is, you power comes from your heart. It’s what you want or desire. Sometimes your mind may want something else … but if I let you use your power on me, it is to follow what your heart wants. Does that make sense?”

He fought to maintain a confident face, fought harder to not let his inner male hormones use this ‘heart and mind’ nonsense to justify jumping her bones without her consent. Most of all, what he fought was the urge to grab her, pull her close to him, and hold her until every worry, fear, and concern built from the stupid set of lies he’s tried to make her believe are nothing more than bad memories and forgotten stories.
 
Back
Top