A Different Kind of Adventure - IC Thread

He laid there on his back, he rested his head on the hard cobblestones, his barbarians had swarmed forward the moment the beast fell, what enemy remained inside the wall did not survive long. One of his men knelt next to him and Sherman looked up at him,

"I'm alive Skald, just tired."

The soldier grinned and shook his head,

"You landed wrong, the clerics will be here after a while. Much pain?"

Sherman returned the grin,

"I've been through worde."

Skald stood up and guarded over the prone Sherman, Sherman turned his thoughts to the battle, he had to figure out how to kill those things without getting hurt like he had gotten.
 
Elise watched from the distance as Sherman lay on the ground, it wasn't like him, he was a warrior a large warrior and for him to lay down she knew he would be in some kind of pain.

"Cleric with me." she ordered to the soldiers next to her, a small mage figure came to her, "I will take you to Sherman, treat him and i will guard."

With a nod of approval from the cleric she ran ahead, Boka in front and the mage behind her, she moved through the numerous bodies that scattered the battle ground making it a rotten sight but mostly the smell.

Running up to Sherman, Elise faltered a bit as she past the dragon walking she gazed at the corpse in amazement, "Nice job." she chuckled as she bent down next to Sherman, "Got you some help." she patted him on his chest armor and stood back as the cleric did his work. Turning her head she saw Danny and nodded, before her attention was brought back to Boka, who had seemed it fit to take a chunk out of the Dragon.

"Boka i swear to the goddess, don't put that in your mouth." she shouted walking away from the cleric and Sherman and towards Boka. She knelt down and gently ripped the meat from his jaws, "What are you like." she muttered stroking him lovingly on the head.
 
When Sherman finally killed the beast(he refused to believe it was a Dragon), he gave a so of relief as it died. He didn't think he cold have fought it any longer. All he had done really was distract it, not too bad damage. When Sherman layed on the ground, Anny was worried. Sherman was able to deal with large amount of pain nd damage, so the fact that he couldn't take this meant he really was hurt. But when he saw Elise come with some Clerics, he felt better. They were trained for this stuff. Elise turned to him, and she nodded. He wasn't too sure what that meant, but he nodded in return. Then Elise turned to her panther and began shouting at her, Danny was compelled to look at the corpse. He had t admit, it did look awfully like a Dragon. It probably was at a point, but it was torture and brainwashed to join the Dark Lord and his army. He held back tears at the thought. It was a sad thing.
 
Sherman grimmaced as bones knitted and mended, slipping back into position, feeling came back to his legs as the pinched nerves found themselves free again. Pain flooded him as the damage organs healed up as well, it hurt to get healed more than it hurt to get hurt. When the cleric departed to tend other soldiers Skald helped Sherman to his feet. Sherman slid the axe into it's sheath and walked over to Danny, the half-dragon had kept to himself mostly, but Sherman knew a depressed soldier when he saw one, he rested a surprisingly gentle hand on Danny's shoulder.

"It was not a dragon, it breathed no fire and Cora said it is summoned from the dark pits of hell. I know it looks a lot like you kin, but it isn't."

He patted the armored shoulder and sauntered off to where a group of barbarians was hacking Orcs and Trolls apart.

"Oi! What did I say about mutilating corpses?"

The soldiers stopped and seemed upset at their sport being interupted and also because they were caught doing it. Sherman joined their ranks, drew his axe and suddenly grinned,

"I said I want to do it as well!"

He swung his axe, lopping off a head and kicked it away, his soldier cheered and laughed as they all set to taking out their extra energy on the dead corpses. Sherman ignored the city's generals and leaders as they came out, he had no stomach nor need for diplomacy, he left that to others, he kept his men happy and that made them fight like they did today.
 
Elise was busy kneeling down next to Boka when the Orc's head rolled and nudged her foot, she jumped and looked in disgust as the soldiers continued to mutilate the bodies.
"Seems they are all the same. No matter what species." she muttered more to herself, turning away she walked up to the large dragon like creature and placed her hand on its nose, closing her eyes she sent a small pray up to the sky she could feel the small burning sensation in her hand.
Opening them she sighed as she was nudged by Boka's muzzle on her leg.
Looking she noticed the city's politicians had began coming from the city. Most looked on in disgust as the corpses layed scattered, the blood still fresh on the floor.
Elise quickly walked up to them before they could see the activities of Sherman and his men,

"Gentleman you should have stayed in your strong hold, we do not know if it is still safe." she held up her hands to stop them from proceeding further. She had made two steps back before she became angry, looking to the one that seemed to lead the 'pack' she squared up to him.
"Sir i think you should go back inside, before i have to force you. Or even worse get him to force you." she moved to side and pointed to Sherman who at that very moment was holding his bloody axe up into the air, a head in his other hand.
Elise couldn't help but smile as she noticed the man swallow nervously, "Of course." he replied still staring at Sherman and his men. Nodding Elise walked them back to the gate and closed it, leaning against it she sighed, who knew what they would face inside...and something was telling her the dark ones would be back.
 
The main contingent of the goddess' men moved up and shielded the main doors to the city. Cara moved alongside them, her white robes and chainmail covered in blood as if she had fought alongside her men. She hadn't been seen during the combat though. Reaching Sherman's side, orc head still in place on his axe she placed a hand on the back of his hand. "Calm your men and see to the cities defences, then we shall rest until the next attack. Hopefully that will not be for many days." Her tone was soft, but she appeared tired. In truth she had expelled much energy casting spells to disorient and cause fear among the Dark Lord's army. More so had been spent on keeping the mages and her Champions out of harm.

Entering through the doors, she motioned for Elise to join her. And they headed to where the elders and city nobles were waiting.

Upon seeing her, they flocked to her side, and many people from within the city began to fill the streets again. The last time they had seen her she had looked just as tired, but that time she had not just fought a battle. By comparison she radiated health and beauty now.

"My dear friends, I am sorry to have taken so long to arrive, we are ambushed on the way and had to take precautions. Please, see to the wounded and strengthen the battlements. Bring water and food if you can spare it."

The people of the city treated the Champions like age old friends, since many times before they had met. A bard nearby even started to recite a story of an old battle they had fought together.
 
Sherman Nord

He nodded at Cora's words, throwing down the head he raised his axe,

"OOOOOOOORAAAAAAAH!"

His soldiers lifted their weapons in response,

"OOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAH!!!"

"Fall in!"

The troops dropped the fallen foes and fell into formation,

"Secure the ramparts, find the dwarven augers and let's get that outer wall secured! MOVE!"

The soldiers all slammed their fists against their chests and rushed off to carry out their orders. Sherman saw a few of them even starting to clear the dead from the battlefield, he walked towards the fallen mountain giants and inspected their weapons, it was crude, but made for creatures of immense power. If this was but a small siege force, what power did the dark lord have at his disposal? Sherman scratched the beard, a sudden grin came over his face, more fighting and more to kill then. He turned back to his soldiers, sheathing the bloody axe he set about helping the restoration of the battlements and gate, for now ignoring the festivities, he had a job to do and that was to defend the city.
 
Danny heard Sherman's, and nodded, glad for his comforting words. Wen he turned and began mutilating corpses, he turne dhis head in disgust, wondering how some one could find joy in that act. He saw Cra enter the city, with Eise at her side while Sherman saw to the defenses, and unsure what to do, Danny chased after Cora. He had one in just as she had given the city nobles and elders things to do, and some of them appeared to recognize Elise and him. He didn't recognize ether however, but they understood. Soon he was helping out with returning the city to order.
 
Within half a day the city had been cleaned up enough to function as an Under Siege town. It wasn't pretty, but the streets were washed clean of blood, and bodies outside the wall were piled high and burned in the hundreds. Disease was not welcome.

The Great Hall was currently the host of hundreds of people, with Cara and her Champions standing before the cities leadership. They had been discussing a plan of action, as it was obvious they were losing the war.

"Friends, I know the struggle is arduous and long, but we cannot lose hope or courage. The citizens of this land need us to fight on, and surrender is no option." Cara spoke strongly and clearly so everyone in the room heard her. She could tell they believed in her, and her powers were stronger because of it.

The leadership all muttered among themselves, before asking her something. "But it was not your city just attacked and almost lost! We have to think of us as well."

Cara bowed her head understandingly, but spoke up with more conviction in her voice.

"I understand, and I do not plan to put you in danger any longer. After today's battle I have decided to go after the Dark Lord's head, personally."

The room erupted into cries of astonishment and worry, but Cara held up her hand for silence. She turned to address the majority of the room, and her Champions.

"I am a goddess, fallen yes, but I still see the pain and suffering of this land. Not just of its people but of its forests, rivers and mountains. It's stripped of beauty and pureness, and this has gone on for centuries. I have stood back and defended, not wanting to attack to spare lives, and in doing so we have lost too many.

But I will not continue to lose people just to keep my city, and your city safe. If they fall, then I will have fallen as well. I will not see this repeat again. I will have finality. There will be a conclusion. I will see to that."


Stepping down, she returned her attention to the leadership of the city.

"I finally have enough power again thanks to my Champions and their efforts to launch a counter attack. If I waste this opportunity, my powers may fade as they did in the past. I must attack whilst your people's hope is fresh in their minds.

I have worked hard alongside my mages, and believe we can open a portal into the Dark Lord's kingdom. But it will only transport twenty souls. Myself and my Champions among them, with a select group of warriors and mages to accompany us.

We will attack the Dark Lord inside his defenses, and put an end to this. One way or the other this limbo of uncertainty will end. For better or worse."
 
Sherman Nord

"A stealth mission, it sounds like a plan Cora. But we will also need a diversion, something that will draw his attention and make him send his trusted generals in pursuit of this new hope that wil empower you again."

He grinned,

"Was thinking a nice shiny temple with worshippers praying to you and even holding a feast. I do think your cavalry unit is big enough to pass for such worshippers, and fleet enough to lead the army on a round about while we strike at the heart of the problem?"

Blood still tainted his form, the cleanest things on him was his weapons,

"The dwarves had promised that they could build such an altar or even small temple for us and disappear, it is a type of sneaky plan that will be fast and will fall apart when inspected close up, but it will divert attentions and that is what the real intention is. Heck a mage can even go along and cast an illusion of you, they will be able to sense the magic, but not know if it is you or not and closer inspection will prove it to be not, but then they will have moved to far to be of any use to the dark lord."
 
Elise stood and listened to the number of discussions happening around her at the same time. Some seemed angered, some seemed peaceful but all the voices began merging together once more.
Pulling Boka next to her she stroked his head, his soft purring began to calm her nerves.
Motioning her head she walked past Cara, placing a small hand on her shoulder she nodded and began walking away towards the city entrance.
Nodding and smiling at the thankful peasants that touched her she stepped out and walked to the end of the bridge, seeing no one close she sighed and closed her eyes.
Too many people, she had never liked crowds, plus the throbbing in her head hadn't subsided. She hadn't noticed it when they had been in battle but once everything went calm and quiet the dull throbbing continued. Rubbing her temple, she turned and looked at Boka.
"Time to go." she smiled rubbing his head once more, seeing him run into the forest, she turned back to look at the city, "We shall be near." she sent the thought to Cara and turned joining Boka in the forest.
 
When he heard Cara's plans, Danny's stomach began churn in the was never good at stealth, even as a human, and in his current form,it would be even harder to stay unnoticed. Honestly, it is not like you see a half dragon warrior everyday, he thought. Wen he felt the moment was right for him to speak he did not waste time.
"Is this really a good idea Cara?" he asked as soon as the words eft his lips, the entire room went silver. Nervous, he continued his words, noticing that everyone's eyes were on him.
"I'm just saying, won't it be difficult to sneak twenty people into the Dark Lord's palace without being noticed? Lest he have magical defenses to prevent this? Ad even if we do make it unseen, how can twenty people defeat his entire army, in his own land?" To him, it seemed an impossible task... Or maybe he as just too scared that he would screw this up, that he didn't even want to wait and see. Whatever the case, Dnny didn't think it a good idea to go along with this.
 
Sherman Nord

He stood up and folded his arms over his chest,

"Danny ol' boy, that is what the diversion will be for. That is how we will not face his whole army and as we will be transported directly into his stronghold we will not have to worry about his army, just his personal guard, which will be champions as we are."

He grinned,

"The only thing strange about this whole plan is the stealth aspect, I am way too big to sneak around, but I will not leave Cora's side. So how about it little brother? You and I create a diversion to draw the guards and give them more freedom to make haste towards the dark lord and cracking his skull."

Dubious glances was cast at him, it seemed like he had a death wish, wanting to take on the guards, but in a way he had a point and the commanders who had seen the fight from their vantage towers had seen what the duo could do, the plan had merit, it just needed the blessing of the goddess.
 
This is why she enjoyed having new minds with her, they pointed out the simple problems one might face...but they were also humans from a magic dead world.

"Don't let stealth worry you, my mage's are more than capable of casting Silence spells on us all, but those in heavy armor will still make the same noise as someone without armor might make. It will be enough to give us hope at least. And the portal should get us within the castle walls several floors from the Dark Lord's Battle Hall. I suspect that is where he will be during the diversion. I will be calling Dane to my side for this, as his skills in gaining access to the Battle Hall will be invaluable."

Dane was still out scouting the region...she hoped he would be careful.

"But Sherman is correct, the Dark Lord has his Champions too. Not like each of you, they are all long living races that have been training through experience. Their souls are their own, forever. They will be your biggest threat."
 
The reassurance made Danny feel better, but worry still gnawed at him. But he dismissed it; they had done the impossible before, they could do it again. But when Dane was mentioned, his thoughts went back to reality.
"I have not seen Dane since before the battle started. Where is he?" he asked. He didn't think he was dead, but it was highly possible that was the truth. But he highly doubted it, just that he was concerned. If they were to defeat the Dark Lord, they would need a lot of help, and Dane would be extremely helpful in this.
 
Feeling her heart beat steady the further she went into the depths of the forest, Elise sighed in relief. The battle had been quite brief, she doubted that was anything as near to what the Dark Lord had planned.

Climbing up an old oak tree she sat, one of her legs dangling aimlessly as Boka purred with satisfaction as she patted his head.

They had been lucky, if they had not been there, that dragon creature would of made it through the strong hold without a problem. She closed her eyes as she remembered the curious eyes of children as she had stood an listened to their stories.
Lying back she rested her head on the bark of the tree, hearing the soft thud of the life running through it, she smiled as she began to think about other things other then spilled blood and corpses.

She wondered what they would have been doing back in the human world? would they go back? looking down to her hands, she turned them over once, twice she was getting used to this new appearance, the tattoo's, the spear, knifes even Boka who rested his large head on her lap.

Closing her eyes she relaxed and let her senses span out throughout the wildlife, the scurrying of small animals could be heard as the rushed across the floor, the birds singing, their wings beating softly as they flew from one tree to another. It was peaceful, no one would think at that moment that there was any evil in this world.

A strange thought entered her mind, Cara had said her champions had died before, how had she died? ...
 
Back
Top