Do you write to turn others on, or yourself?

IntrovertWantsOut

Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 19, 2017
Posts
273
No judgment, no wrong answer. Just curious.

I tend to write (sex stuff) in order to explore my own desires. This may be why I'm not as keen to share it. (I'm not against sharing it---I have---but it's not as important to me as, say, sharing a song I wrote.)

Wondering what others think.
 
Your snowflake attitude is killing LIT. Trophies for all!

Nothing snowflake about it. People can do things for more than one reason. When I have a writing gig, I treat it like a gig. If someone hired me to write smut, I'd deliver what I promised. But when I write smut to suit myself, well, I'm aiming to suit myself. When I play guitar for money, I play what the person paying me is paying me to play. (I tend not to like to do that, but if I need the money, I need the money.) When I play guitar for myself, I play jazz. ;o)
 
I write to create, I create because I have too.

Actually I write for myself. Not to turn myself on, although what I sometimes write does, but because I like to read what I write.

That's not very clear. I write what I would like to read.

Both erotica and non-erotica.
 
No judgment, no wrong answer. Just curious.

I tend to write (sex stuff) in order to explore my own desires. This may be why I'm not as keen to share it. (I'm not against sharing it---I have---but it's not as important to me as, say, sharing a song I wrote.)

Wondering what others think.

Both. I like to get in readers heads with that 1st person POV and get them so into the story they can't stop reading. The stories themselves are always ones I find exciting. I'm easy tho, I'm writing something now that I'm being paid for and it's not something I'd have dreamed of myself but when I'm writing it, oh yeah, I can imagine it so well. A vivid imagination does help. Lol.
 
I've wanted to tell stories all my life, well as long as I remember anyway. Some of my best efforts were pure storytelling, just my voice and imagination standing between me and my parent's wrath - and having to account for something broken.

Before Lit I had pen and paper, and then various types of floppy in various languages. All unfinished and none very good. About the only ones I finished were way back when, for school assignments.

Like Ogg said, much more succinctly than I can, there's something that makes me tell stories.

I've always been drawn to sex in stories, it's just that with computers I can password protect them, and post them anonymously. Nothing makes a person like passwords and Anonymity better than the memory of a puritanical parent finding hand written 'porn/rubbish' in what you thought was a good hiding place.
 
For others, and because it's a fun to write stories.

If nobody read by stories, I wouldn't bother to write anymore.
 
Both. I like to get in readers heads with that 1st person POV and get them so into the story they can't stop reading. The stories themselves are always ones I find exciting. I'm easy tho, I'm writing something now that I'm being paid for and it's not something I'd have dreamed of myself but when I'm writing it, oh yeah, I can imagine it so well. A vivid imagination does help. Lol.

I'm stunned by your comment.
 
Denny

I've written this before and this is why my wife and I write true stories about ourselves. Too much crap to make up and remember. But with notes and each other, we can usually remember the truth.

Early on I scribbled little notes thinking someday I might write a story. At that time I was just telling our stories while sitting around, beer or wine was often involved. Also semi clad ladies which sometimes became the reasons to brag and tell.

There was no internet and I didn't even have a computer for years after they became popular. I did however start using my notes and recent games to print on a yellow lined pad to share with camping and biker friends we'd become friendly with.

Copies were stashed away with those old notes. I finally got a computer and joined a few motorcycle groups. We shared a few stories on those forums and I ended up having what I called "CLOSET CLEANING". In reality the notes and stories had been buried for years in our walk in closets, forgotten. I was coming out of our closet and those readers loved my stories. Many believed them because they were there in many of those places and with name changes the stories were about them.

Now that we are into our golden years and I joined Literotica, my wife and I felt the need to share our stories with like minded members. Our reasoning was not so much to write prize winning stories but to give others incentive to try a few kinky games and see there really are other perverts all over this world.

So our stories do turn us on, hopefully others, and encourage a few to create fantasies then act them out before life passes them by.
 
I cant care less what readers or writers get or don't get. I have the sanme attitude about sex. Her outcome is her business. My lil pee-shooter never sulk and wishes she was black.
 
I write from personal experiences and to explore untested desires, mostly to please my lover.
 
Denny

I cant care less what readers or writers get or don't get. I have the sanme attitude about sex. Her outcome is her business. My lil pee-shooter never sulk and wishes she was black.
You are just a sad lonely old grouch. Remove those cactus needles from your ass and smile now and then.
Better yet walk over to the east side of town and check out one of the tittie bars or glory holes. It'll do you good.
 
I write primarily for my own creative satisfaction, but not to turn myself on, although I do find writing erotic stories is an enjoyable erotic experience. I also enjoy knowing that the stories are being read and enjoyed by others and that they turn some people on.
 
I wrote at first to tell a few simple stories that increasingly became more personal. Then the process started to fascinate me, as I discovered my "style" and the internal world I was conjuring up; when I began to see the internal logic, repeated themes and images, my "place". Is it really me, writing this stuff? It must be, coz there's a familiar trope...

Self exploration, mostly, and then I found some folk liked my turn of phrase and my approach, and it sort of fuels itself. I could never do it as a day job though, I'm too self indulgent and undisciplined as a writer. But I'm generally pretty easy with words, and words once written should be read, I reckon. So I put them out there, folk read them, some like them enough to give me feedback. What's not to like about that?

Ha, I didn't answer the OP's question. Both. If I don't turn myself on with my words, how can I expect to turn someone else on? But the idea that I've made someone wet or hard, that's pretty amazing - bringing a little bit of warmth to somebody else's world? Yeah, that's warm and fuzzy, right there.
 
Last edited:
I'm stunned by your comment.

Stunned? How so? I love writing and I'll write somebody else's concept up as happily as I'll write an idea of my own. I'm writing one on the side right now based on one of your throwaway comments and that discussion we had on
Noir and writing Noir sex a few weeks ago. Been reading Noir novels like crazy ever. since.

(The story is "Lovecraft and my Grandpops"). Trailer Park Noir, meth, fast cars, bikers, Mexican drug dealers, mom's a stripper, grand pops is a tough old cop, her boyfriends dad is a sleaze who wants into her panties and his mom hates trailer park trash in the most bitchy way - and all my heroine wants is out of that trailer park any way she can...

It doesn't kind of get me going the way a good romance does but I'm loving writing it.
 
For me it's all about pleasuring another person... but then... the idea that someone is aroused or even pleasuring themselves by reading something I wrote arouses me... so I guess this question is a bit of a Catch 22 for me;)
 
Others. I'd still write if I had no audience, but less erotically.
 
After too many years when I didn't have time to write for the joy of creating, I began again because I was bored (appalled would be a better word in many cases) with most of what I could find to read.

I've been a heavy reader from as far as I can remember and I was lucky to have teachers in high school who shared their passion for the written word.

My characters are concatenations of women I've known. Some closer to a single complete personality, others are portrayed for one trait in particular. They have a life of their own. Most often, I'll start with a basic idea, develop the characters and hold on for dear life, trying to keep up on the keyboard as they live their lives.

I use my life philosophy, my eclectic knowledge and the thousands of books I've read as a tapestry on which my characters carry on. I've been told that I have a twisted sense of humor and it shines through unexpectedly. I love to play with words when I can too.

Since I write for Lit, there is some sex in my stories, but I try to stick to erotica. I write about emotions rather than carnality for its sake. My greatest achievement is that I made myself cry when I wrote some stories and that they still have the same effect even after many re-reads.
 
No judgment, no wrong answer. Just curious.

I tend to write (sex stuff) in order to explore my own desires. This may be why I'm not as keen to share it. (I'm not against sharing it---I have---but it's not as important to me as, say, sharing a song I wrote.)

Wondering what others think.

Bit of both. I write because I enjoy imagining stuff; I write because expressing myself is hard, and it's good practice; I write because I love the feeling of being able to plant my ideas in somebody else's head; I write because otherwise those ideas will just rattle around inside my own head forever, and I'd prefer to let them out.
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you are turned on by what I write, I am happy to have helped. But, first and foremost, I write to entertain. On Lit, I write to entertain my three fans. (OK, maybe there are ten fans. But I think that you know what I mean. :))
 
When I write (not lately) it's because I want to and must. I try to write non-standard tales that will affect readers, but I do so to entertain and reward myself. Nobody here pays or is paid. Whatever excuses we make, it's all really self-gratification.
 
I write because I have things in my head that want out. I SHARE those things here, or some of them at least, because I think maybe someone will read it and understand.
 
Back
Top