2014 Survivor Rules and Registrations

Happy New year Everyone! I have decided to do it again this year so count me in :)

I don't know yet if I'll be participating in the 2014 Survivor contest but being that I'll be writing anyway, if only for the sake of collecting much needed immunities to win the contest, I officially enter my name in the 2014 Survivor contest.

Happy New Year everyone.

I don't know yet if I'll be participating in the 2014 Survivor contest but being that I'll be writing anyway, if only for the sake of collecting much needed immunities to win the contest, I officially enter my name in the 2014 Survivor contest.

Happy New Year everyone.

I know, these immunities seem to have magical powers that can make or break a winner, eh? Yeesh.

Happy New Year to you as well.

I know, these immunities seem to have magical powers that can make or break a winner, eh? Yeesh.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Magical powers? No writer writes in all 35 categories. I write in 30 of the 35 categories. Consequently, immunities are helpful.

In that regard, I think the immunity rule shouldn't be changed but should stay the way that it is. Once a player declares a place to post their immunity, that should be it.

Moving an immunity around after the fact is like having a do over while playing five card draw poker (lol).

I think the game is more challenging the way that it is without making things easier by allowing immunities to be moved and/or cancelled. Just my two cents.

They can screw you real easy in a competitive year which to be honest I've never seen.

I'm not saying they aren't handy, because they are and I'm not saying that can't screw you because they can. There just seems to be an emphasis on them that doesn't need to be there. Immunities are a strategy thing, eliminate the categories that you don't want to or are uncomfortable writing in. It just means you should choose carefully what areas you want the immunity in or if you may even want to not use it or withdrawal your name from the numbers being pulled. Last I checked no one forced you to take them.

As far as moving an immunity around, I don't see the need for it.

Can an immunity be applied to a contest?

Perhaps to a contest that is missed because life got in the way?

Could be a nice way to maintain the extra bonus for contests without penalizing someone too harshly if they missed a contest.

Not to a theme contest. To get credit for one of those, it is necessary to actually enter a story and have it listed among the contest entries.

The idea of the five points for entering a theme contest is one I like, but I can't help thinking the thirty point bonus for entering them all might be too much. To win first prize, it is necessary to get this bonus, and that puts new contestants at a disadvantage. This is another rule change we might consider.

Not to a theme contest. To get credit for one of those, it is necessary to actually enter a story and have it listed among the contest entries.

The idea of the five points for entering a theme contest is one I like, but I can't help thinking the thirty point bonus for entering them all might be too much. To win first prize, it is necessary to get this bonus, and that puts new contestants at a disadvantage. This is another rule change we might consider.

Actually I don't see any good reason you shouldn't be able to use an immunity for a theme contest. Speaking as someone who thinks the theme contests are too many points for too little work, as someone pointed out if you wrote six stories (one per contest) you'd place in the money this and most years) it wouldn't or shouldn't be 5pts for an immunity. It would be an immunity worth zero points but if you wrote five other stories that immunity would become a 30 pt immunity. Again I think that's too much but not because of the immunity, just 60 pts, 6 stories is patently nuts in a game that averages 3 pts per story. Especially since those stories can be used to "bypass" the other restrictions of only being able to write three stories per category. (Yeah yeah, if you fill up everything. I've been competing in this contest to varying degrees for almost a decade and I've seen the level one cap filled I believe three times.)

Magical powers? No writer writes in all 35 categories. I write in 30 of the 35 categories. Consequently, immunities are helpful.

Moving an immunity around after the fact is like having a do over while playing five card draw poker (lol).

I think the game is more challenging the way that it is without making things easier by allowing immunities to be moved and/or cancelled. Just my two cents.

I'm NOT a fan of moving an immunity. Either you use it or you don't. I've missed one or two along the way by forgetting the check the results in time.

That said: I think the ability to later remove an immunity (and earn points) by replacing it with a story in that category is worth considering.

As you suggest, no (or few) writers write in all 35 categories. Let's say, by chance alone, you're lucky enough to earn an immunity in the first six drawings. Your choices are to 1) Accept the immunity and apply each of them as 1st level caps or 2) Reject applying an immunity for a category you might later decide to write for.

My suggestion is to allow writers to reject an earlier won immunity for points.

Here's a longer example: Let's say that I don't care to write "Gay" stories. I apply an immunity to that category. However, later in the year I come up with a great little idea for the "Gay" section. That story is worthless for the Survivor Contest unless I cap off the other 34 categories.

It feels to me the contest is designed to encourage more writing across sub-genre's, not less. Being allowed to discard a previously applied immunity feels reasonable to me.

Agreed. I pulled out of Survivor last year for several personal reasons. One of those reasons was because I had missed a contest entry because life interfered. That (along with some other issues) took the wind out of my sails.

I believe your point about new contestants is a good one. Someone who discovers the site in March and discovered the Survivor Contest a couple months later is already at a disadvantage. However, late participants will always be a disadvantage in Survivor.

Actually I don't see any good reason you shouldn't be able to use an immunity for a theme contest. Speaking as someone who thinks the theme contests are too many points for too little work, as someone pointed out if you wrote six stories (one per contest) you'd place in the money this and most years) it wouldn't or shouldn't be 5pts for an immunity. It would be an immunity worth zero points but if you wrote five other stories that immunity would become a 30 pt immunity. Again I think that's too much but not because of the immunity, just 60 pts, 6 stories is patently nuts in a game that averages 3 pts per story. Especially since those stories can be used to "bypass" the other restrictions of only being able to write three stories per category. (Yeah yeah, if you fill up everything. I've been competing in this contest to varying degrees for almost a decade and I've seen the level one cap filled I believe three times.)

In theory, someone could earn 6 immunity in a year. I'm not picking on xelliebabex's ability at picking a good number, but xellie did win eight immunity for 2013. (xellie also did a butt load of writing in lots of categories and didn't miss a single contest!)

Six immunity applied to contests alone could result in 30 points. 0 points for the immunity applied to the contest, but 30 bonus points for always applying them to the contests. Thirty points alone wouldn't be enough to place in the contest - nor would it be an unfair advantage since all participants have an equal opportunity to choose their immunity number. (Late participants will always be a disadvantage.)

I'm still a fan of being able to apply immunity to contest entries. I would suggest that immunity can only be applied to closed contests. That would aid the late joiner to Survivor by giving them a "catch-up" path while still adding an element of chance - did they pick a good number? It would also provide a life preserver for people who miss a contest because they couldn't get a story together for it.

Being that it's not easy writing a contest story in all six theme contests, one year, I wrote 100 contest stories in all six contests, I'd like to see the 30 point bonus rule remain intact.

Why? The whole principle of this contest is to encourage and inspire writers to write and not be penalized for writing. If a participant misses a contest because he joined late, there's always next year. Why should I or anyone have bonus points removed because some newbie was late to join the party. It just doesn't make sense. We aren't encouraging people to participate in the contest after the contest begins, per se, we're enjoying those in the contest to write.

I don't like the idea of moving immunities around. These rules have been in place for a few years now and they seem to be working.

I would like to see the prize money doubled, one thousand dollars for first place, along with the grand prize being a brand new 2015 Mustang GT, in my choice of color, sorry, I mean, of course, in the winner's choice of color.

Being that I wrote a million words this year, as I generally do every year, and more than 500 thousand words in the contest, if I win, I will have earned, 1/10th of a penny a word. Yet, you don't see me complaining. I was just happy to write my stories and be acknowledged Literotica by participating in their contest. Even if there wasn't a contest and/or Literotica, I'd still be writing my stories.

It seems to me that the rules that are suggested for change penalizes writers who write. Actually, the rules won't make a difference to me because I'll still write what I write, more than 100 stories a year.

My suggestion is to allow writers to reject an earlier won immunity for points. . .

I believe your point about new contestants is a good one. Someone who discovers the site in March and discovered the Survivor Contest a couple months later is already at a disadvantage. However, late participants will always be a disadvantage in Survivor.

In theory, someone could earn 6 immunity in a year. I'm not picking on xelliebabex's ability at picking a good number, but xellie did win eight immunity for 2013. (xellie also did a butt load of writing in lots of categories and didn't miss a single contest!)

I'm still a fan of being able to apply immunity to contest entries. I would suggest that immunity can only be applied to closed contests. That would aid the late joiner to Survivor by giving them a "catch-up" path while still adding an element of chance - did they pick a good number? It would also provide a life preserver for people who miss a contest because they couldn't get a story together for it.

I agree that if someone starts survivor late they are already at a disadvantage. I am sure Sexnovella would have passed me and taken on SusanJillParker had she joined earlier and accepted immunities.

I however did not not win the most immunities but the person who did was unable to use them because they had not filled in the caps required to validate them. To me that seems to be the key to the challenge of winning and losing immunities. Winning them is great but you have to have the body of work available to validate each and every one of them or lose out both on the category nominated and the bonus points you may have counted on receiving for covering a certain amount of categories.

Honestly it was tough going to validate the amount I got and I know the person who won the most had most of them removed because they couldn't be validated. I think perhaps too much emphasis has been put on them and that they only truly help the prolific writers like SusanJillParker. I will not be putting so much pressure on myself to write so much this year, it was difficult trying to keep up the schedule I had worked out, and in fact I didn't and really needed the immunities.

If you apply them to contests how then would they be validated? I think it may open up a whole new can of worms that could get ugly.

PS Please call me ellie. I messed up my first account on literotica and couldn't access it so I had my stories moved to this account, the former account being elliebabe the x's are just differentiation :D
Good luck with this years contest/s :)

Being that it's not easy writing a contest story in all six theme contests, one year, I wrote 100 contest stories in all six contests, I'd like to see the 30 point bonus rule remain intact.

Why? The whole principle of this contest is to encourage and inspire writers to write and not be penalized for writing. If a participant misses a contest because he joined late, there's always next year. Why should I or anyone have bonus points removed because some newbie was late to join the party. It just doesn't make sense. We aren't encouraging people to participate in the contest after the contest begins, per se, we're enjoying those in the contest to write.

I have to admit I also agree with SusanJillParker. The bonus points are large because writing in each contest is hard. The categories are much broader than the contest requirements and I think writing to a set schedule on a defined theme deserves the bonuses it gets.

That is unless the general consensus finds a reasonable way to validate an immunity there. I don't believe it would be fair to allow someone with an immunity to receive the extra bonus for entering all sic contests when by using an immunity they clearly didn't.
I understand the same could be said for categories but the validation system seems to nullify that.

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy your Mustang Susan :D As I am not American I would prefer a different choice of car if you were ever to break a finger and stop typing long enough for me to catch up lol!

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and say I'd love to participate in this year's contest :) Thank you!

I was just wondering if you were considering including teh illustrations category this year?

I meant the Illustrations (only) category not the illustrated story or illustrated poetry category

As far as I know, there has never been an illustrations category in the Survivors' Contest. I believe there is some kind of illustrations contest, but I don't know anything about it.

Score : Contestant

PM : www : 000 : CallMeBambi
PM : www : 000 : geronimo_appleby
PM : www : 000 : HottieKatie
PM : www : 000 : JagFarlane
PM : www : 000 : Neonurotic
PM : www : 000 : RjThoughts
PM : www : 000 : SeanRenaud
PM : www : 000 : sexnovella
PM : www : 000 : SusanJillParker
PM : www : 000 : SweetPrettyAss
PM : www : 000 : xelliebabex

PM : www : [color=#O98d3a]093[/color] : Tx Tall Tales
PM : www : 072 : subwryter
PM : www : 070 : sweet_lusciousdesire
PM : www : 051 : kitten1964
PM : www : 040 : robertreams

PM : www : 037 : javawarrior
PM : www : 036 : RedHairedandFriendly
PM : www : 034 : RedMonkeyButt
PM : www : 032 : chocolatecookie3
PM : www : 025 : elphaba69
PM : www : 024 : Rogueslady
PM : www : 016 : vickivale
PM : www : 015 : partyfairy
PM : www : 015 : theravenfox
PM : www : 014 : silkstockingslover
PM : www : 009 : Svenskaflicka
PM : www : 003 : Remec

PM : www : 000 : AddicktedDiva
PM : www : 000 : adorkablegreen
PM : www : 000 : Alfred_Shelf
PM : www : 000 : Author_o
PM : www : 000 : Beastly39
PM : www : 000 : bluemono
PM : www : 000 : brightshadows
PM : www : 000 : CassiopeiaMuse
PM : www : 000 : createsbabe
PM : www : 000 : DarkJenny
PM : www : 000 : drdirty8

PM : www : 000 : DreadlockedBuddha
PM : www : 000 : Enigmaster
PM : www : 000 : Eroticnoun
PM : www : 000 : Fujisashes
PM : www : 000 : horrorotica
PM : www : 000 : hotlovingcouple
PM : www : 000 : ImogenHart
PM : www : 000 : Jett_73
PM : www : 000 : Kayebee
PM : www : 000 : KazMarsh

PM : www : 000 : LeeChambers
PM : www : 000 : Lovepotion69
PM : www : 000 : luna_lala
PM : www : 000 : MackenzieRae
PM : www : 000 : MartinFaust
PM : www : 000 : MikeyLoves269
PM : www : 000 : mrssupple
PM : www : 000 : nighteyes18
PM : www : 000 : oOScarletWingsOo
PM : www : 000 : PenanceS
PM : www : 000 : porson

PM : www : 000 : Powerofthepen
PM : www : 000 : quietlycrazy
PM : www : 000 : randibyrnes
PM : www : 000 : Scheherazade73
PM : www : 000 : senzie
PM : www : 000 : snath
PM : www : 000 : spurious
PM : www : 000 : TheBlairWitch
PM : www : 000 : weepingangel88

Prizes

$500 : Top Survivor
$250 : 2nd-Placed Survivor
$200 : 3rd-Placed Survivor
$150 : 4th-Placed Survivor
$100 : 5th-Placed Survivor
$25* : 6th- to 15th-Placed Survivors

*Amazon.com gift certificates

Non-Placing Survivors
Can I sign up for the contest for this year?

Okay, after a bit of thought, might as well give it a shot for 2014.

BrettJ in Canada

Sign me up please...

And is this new? (Did not participate in 2013)

6. Multi-chaptered stories are only eligible for the contest if each chapter is at least 3,000 words long.

Does this mean in any category a multi-chapter story is eligible as long as each chapter is 3000 words long? And does it matter if you have already begun it. For instance, I am 16 chapters into my Priestess of the Goddess series. And have a dozen other stories that my readers are clamoring for me to finish. As long as each of these stories are over 3000 words (heck, I rarely write less anyway except for poetry and non-fiction), can I count them? Or only ones that begin with Chapter 1? Or am I totally confused here?

Goddess bless,
Tara

Back