Time for site name change?

......Some of my stories are 13 lit-pages long, and I only have a small group of readers (who do seem to appreciate my work anyway, because of the content). Therefore I wonder if I really should bother editors to put their time and effort in it; chances are low that it is the kind of story they appreciate.

I also write and edit on the basis that I don't get paid for this and it's a free site for readers, so what you get is what you get. I put a reasonable amount of effort into editing and cleaning up, but things always slip through. I don't worry about it. I do appreciate comments, even grammar and spelling ones (for future reference) but I know I make mistakes. For the stories I've actually been paid for, I do put a lot more effort into editing but for freebies, it's the 80/20 rule on effort.

I also write and edit on the basis that I don't get paid for this and it's a free site for readers, so what you get is what you get. I put a reasonable amount of effort into editing and cleaning up, but things always slip through. I don't worry about it. I do appreciate comments, even grammar and spelling ones (for future reference) but I know I make mistakes. For the stories I've actually been paid for, I do put a lot more effort into editing but for freebies, it's the 80/20 rule on effort.

Even in mainstream where you have professional editors and a half dozen professional proofreaders, there will still be mistakes. Believe me, I know from experience. Go to any book store and look through the fiction section. I'll pay for any book that is perfect. My editor has been in the business for over twenty years and she's never seen an error free book. Publishing causes errors.

Even in mainstream where you have professional editors and a half dozen professional proofreaders, there will still be mistakes. Believe me, I know from experience. Go to any book store and look through the fiction section. I'll pay for any book that is perfect. My editor has been in the business for over twenty years and she's never seen an error free book. Publishing causes errors.

Yes, and I always laugh when I see them now and go "gotcha". I've volunteer proof read a couple of novels that were published and the things that slip thru ... sometimes it's quite funny because they're so obscure. Multiple sets of eyes are the best, but even with that ....:eek:

Perhaps I'm out of line here. But when I'm reading a story on Lit, what I'm looking for is a plot and characters that stimulate my imagination. And yes basically make my cock hard that I want to jerk off. Sorry that is just me. Now whether there are typos or the grammar is off. Well I'm ok with that. This is after all a free site, and any editing that is done, is also done for free. Just my opinion that to many people are looking for a story that is going to receive a Pulitzer. Go back to the basics of simply enjoying reading something that stimulates your imagination. And if your worried if things are written proper, and if the story is factual. Well then go edit Wikipedia. (yes typos, and improper grammar weree done on purpose) Thank you, thank you very much.

Yes, and I always laugh when I see them now and go "gotcha". I've volunteer proof read a couple of novels that were published and the things that slip thru ... sometimes it's quite funny because they're so obscure. Multiple sets of eyes are the best, but even with that ....:eek:

Before Abigail went into print I did three edit passes. I then turned it over to a friend who is a High School English teacher, they went through it, caught quite a few things I missed.

It then went to my editor who did her thing then as part two she listens to a program that reads it back and it caught a couple of things she missed.

It went into print and when we got the first copies, my wife flips it open to a random section and reads "She stroked her clip":rolleyes:

Before Abigail went into print I did three edit passes. I then turned it over to a friend who is a High School English teacher, they went through it, caught quite a few things I missed.

It then went to my editor who did her thing then as part two she listens to a program that reads it back and it caught a couple of things she missed.

It went into print and when we got the first copies, my wife flips it open to a random section and reads "She stroked her clip":rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc

Ain't it just the way though?

These are stories I found with Scally21's comments:

I'm not saying these are all of his comments; this is what google came up with.
I can't say any of those comments were constructive.

Wow. Yeah, I can see why authors have been deleting those.

p.s. - Scally21 - it's "schedule".

Inverted commas? What? LOL

Is that supposed to mean apostrophes? Single quotes?

I looked at the story in question and found one misused single quote. All of the apostrophes appear to be correct in a speed scan.

If these are an example of "constructive" as he defines it, then it's hardly surprising the comments are being deleted by authors.

I say we teach this guy a lesson and make him read anything I wrote here between 2010-2011. If he survives that he deserves to be able to continue leaving comments:eek:

What's that one word I'm trying to remember.....oh, yes; Obsession. noun - the state of being obsessed with someone or something, an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.

I never knew someone could be obsessed with literary criticism. What a weird world we dwell in :rolleyes:

I'm not saying these are all of his comments; this is what google came up with.
I can't say any of those comments were constructive.

Good research, RubenR. Case rests, I think.

The guy's a legend in his own five minutes, and he's only outed himself as a knob. Let's move on.

Scally21, don't bother one-bombing all our stories. You probably don't know this, but the site regularly runs sweeps through the data base to remove obvious patterns of trolling vote behaviour. Just so you know.

Maybe go sit outside for a while, look at the sky, the trees, the people all around. Who knows, maybe one day someone will pass by and say hello, someone who is inherently kind, a nice person. Having now seen your "commentary" and your "critique", you might want to try a little harder to engage positively with writers. Don't expect writers to treasure comments like yours. They won't.

Perhaps the site should be called Illiterotica. I find it particularly irksome to find that moderators on this site pander to the requests of deleting and removing of comments simply to protect an author's bruised ego. On numerous occasions now comments of mine that give fair critiques with regards to spelling and or grammar have been removed. When I do give these critiques it's never done maliciously. I realise that several authors invest many hours and sometimes even their heart and soul into some of these stories and therefore I find it incomprehensible that given that, they neglect to invest a little further by having them proofread or at the very least gone over by a spell checker.

I always allow for those who's first language isn't English but the vast majority of mistakes come from those who's first language is English. Be it via British or US English.

I fully endorse removal of spiteful comments by the spineless 'anonymous'. But moderators, you should allow fair critique and perhaps even guide some of these soft centered authors to the guidance of proofreaders that this site provides.

Rant over!

Maybe you should start your own site and stuff 'cause I'm pretty sure you can do better and stuff and then you won't get rant over all the time.

Debbie :heart:

Kudos to the replies here!

By the way, a scally is a term, most used in Northwest England,
it is identified culturally as someone that wears track suits/sports gear
as everyday clothing, often boasts about their petty criminal record and
acts tough. It is obviously short for scallywag.

They might sell a few tablets and stuff, might have an uncle with unlicensed
guns and really think they're the dogs bollox.

Most are not really tough and don't come from real mob families, it's usually
really small time stuff.

It looks to me certainly like the OP doesn't know how the site works, just seems
so desperate to irritate authors that he's peeved his comments have been deleted.

Can anyone show me links where this idiot has commented? I'd be curious, in passing.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Not a very interesting character, I think.

He sounds more like one of those sad lonely schoolteachers that
can't get any sex but hang around the stories dissing them now.

Maybe an idea of him fantasizing about being a scally while trimming
his sideburns in his tweed jacket with leather elbow patches and half mast
trousers could be more appropriate.

He sounds more like one of those sad lonely schoolteachers that
can't get any sex but hang around the stories dissing them now.

I'd hope that if he were a school teacher then he'd at least know 'apostrophe.'

Back