Calling All Chefs

NippleMuncher

Masticatus Nipplicanis
Joined
Apr 3, 2003
Posts
4,103
Can someone explain to me how to pound a chicken breast to 1/4" without turning it into Swiss cheese and/or hamburger?

And what is the advantage of pounding a chicken breast over simply butterflying it to add filling?

For what it's worth, I don't have a meat pounder. I do know that the rolling pin and a rubber mallet don't work.
 
Use the bottom of a heavy bottle like a wine bottle.The fibers soften an allow more integration of the spices into the meat.
 
Cover the meat with plastic wrap before you start beating it. Keeps it from ripping to shreds. Trust me, I am a chef.(Then again covering your meat before beating could be anyones tip here.)
 
I've gone to using a ziploc bag rather than plastic wrap, it's easier to use and it contains the shrapnel. :D

And yes, on this site, beating meat and playing with breasts does mean a whole different thing! LOL
 
Use the bottom of a heavy bottle like a wine bottle.The fibers soften an allow more integration of the spices into the meat.

Not much for spice in this recipe, it's saute'd onion, garlic, spinach, and mild soft cheese. The chicken is wrapped around it, then dredged, seared, then baked.
 
You also beat chicken breast so it's a more uniform thickness & cooks evenly, otherwise the thin half will be overcooked & rubbery.

A cast iron skillet works well to pound chicken if you don't have a mallet. Or a rolling pin. You don't need to pulverize it, just even it out.
 
When a recipe instructs to do that, I'll sometimes butterfly it and then pound it uniformly thin. Stretches the meat a little further for my budget. Also, a towel around it can help keep it from shredding. I don't have a meat mallet either and sometimes just carefully use my thumbs.
 
I used a 1.5 liter bottle of Sake, seemed to do the trick fairly well. The first three breasts turned out pretty good, the last was a little worse for wear, but still usable. Dinner was a hit, no pun intended. :D
 
I'm late to the party, but...

I use two sheets of wax paper and a wide rubber mallet. Butterfly the chicken first, then use the mallet to simply flatten them out a bit more. Start in the middle and work out in circles to avoid "shrapnel."

A wooden mallet also works well. Avoid the metal mallets...those are a travesty that should never be allowed in a serious kitchen.
 
I considered butterflying last night but I didn't like the way the breasts would turn out, so I stuck with pounding them. And, as I said earlier, a gallon sized ziploc bag works great and keeps the mess to a minimum. The heavier plastic doesn't wad up or stick to itself like plastic wrap or wax paper.
 
A few drops of oil on either side of the chicken before it goes into the plastic might help lube things up a bit as well to keep it from catching on the plastic and causing tears.

(wow, after rereading that...sex and cooking aren't too far apart at times...)
 
Back
Top