Supply vs Demand...

zagrebzagreb

Virgin
Joined
Sep 9, 2010
Posts
2
Just curious: What categories of stories (Erotic Couplings, NonConsent, Romance, etc) have the strongest demand and readership? And are there any categories that seem to be particularly 'under-served' by authors?

I was wondering because I posted a very average NonConsent story awhile back, and it has definitely found a lot more readers than some Erotic Couplings stories I posted - despite the fact that I think those are much better written and more interesting. Any thoughts?
 
From what I have observed, Incest/Taboo and Loving Wives stories draw the most readers. How To, Fetish, Sci Fi, and Romance get much lower numbers. Non-human stories score the highest, and Loving Wives score the lowest.
 
Non consent does not get a lot of stories and I agree with the above post Incest and Loving wives are most viewed, but certainly not under served there are many new ones daily.

I also agree NH has the highest scores and romance does well in that department as well. EC is kind of a catch all category.

It wasn't mentioned but Mature seems to do fairly well.
 
Data from Sept '12, by randomly downloading 200 stories from each category, and averaging the numbers. Lowest number of views per story first.

So if you want many views, and likely many readers, go for Illustrated. If you're not good at drawing, go for incest/taboo.

And what do you mean by "underserved", really? Higher number of views per story means they're "underserved" as there are "too few" stories to go around? Illustrated certainly has a limited number of stories, but can't say that from the incest/taboo category, for example.


Code:
+------------------------------+-------------+
| name                         | views       |
+------------------------------+-------------+
| Non-Erotic                   |  10130.7968 |
| Letters & Transcripts        |  13889.5648 |
| Novels and Novellas          |  14078.7656 |
| Romance                      |  14557.9794 |
| Reviews & Essays             |  15105.2928 |
| Sci-Fi & Fantasy             |  15983.2864 |
| Humor & Satire               |  17338.3710 |
| Erotic Horror                |  18296.2823 |
| NonHuman                     |  19638.2059 |
| Erotic Couplings             |  19692.2287 |
| Chain Stories                |  21689.9430 |
| BDSM                         |  25111.3970 |
| Celebrities                  |  25462.1077 |
| Toys & Masturbation          |  36407.3163 |
| Gay Male                     |  40076.2837 |
| Transsexuals & Crossdressers |  41673.8454 |
| Exhibitionist & Voyeur       |  44083.2760 |
| Lesbian Sex                  |  45094.9796 |
| Fetish                       |  45168.5338 |
| Group Sex                    |  45790.9340 |
| Interracial Love             |  53991.7409 |
| First Time                   |  62865.6535 |
| Mind Control                 |  63348.2031 |
| Loving Wives                 |  66152.4870 |
| Anal                         |  72106.4949 |
| Mature                       |  76342.3900 |
| NonConsent/Reluctance        |  78938.0881 |
| How To                       |  84993.4381 |
| Text With Audio              |  91126.2284 |
| Incest/Taboo                 | 123837.4416 |
| Illustrated                  | 328258.6373 |
+------------------------------+-------------+
 
Thanks for the data! That's pretty interesting... I didn't realize illustrated was so popular...
 
Underserved to me means a category with a high number of views but a low number of stories. Mind control, illustrated, text with audio, etc.
 
Underserved to me means a category with a high number of views but a low number of stories. Mind control, illustrated, text with audio, etc.

Man, at first I read that as "undeserved" and I was like, wow, that's a weird prejudice.

Maybe each story has so many views because it's so under-served? Maybe I'll submit a mind control story someday. I have an idea I'd like to try out.
 
Underserved to me means a category with a high number of views but a low number of stories. Mind control, illustrated, text with audio, etc.

Funny, I read an underserved category as being one that, comparatively, has significant fewer stories entered to it.
 
Thanks for the data! That's pretty interesting... I didn't realize illustrated was so popular...

I think it has a lot to do with the small number of stories in Illustrated (only 400 total). If you multiply views/story by the total number of stories, you get an estimate of the total number of views in the category.

So Illustrated has about 120 million views total, whereas Incest is close to 4 billion and NC/Reluc has about 1 billion.
 
I think it has a lot to do with the small number of stories in Illustrated (only 400 total). If you multiply views/story by the total number of stories, you get an estimate of the total number of views in the category.

So Illustrated has about 120 million views total, whereas Incest is close to 4 billion and NC/Reluc has about 1 billion.

The fact that there are so few stories in Illustrated will lower total viewship. After all there's less choice (and not a little less; you're talking orders of magnitude here), so most readers will be done with the category sooner, and view less stories than they would in other categories.
 
The fact that there are so few stories in Illustrated will lower total viewship. After all there's less choice (and not a little less; you're talking orders of magnitude here), so most readers will be done with the category sooner, and view less stories than they would in other categories.

Good point.
 
Back
Top