Why no response

DeYaKen

Literotica Guru
Why would an editor advertise their availability then not respond to my enquiry? I know that not everyone wants to edit the stuff that I write, but it doesn't take much to respond with "no thanks, not interested"

In December I contacted one of the editors who said she was available. When she didn't respond, I tried again. Still no response. Surely it is common courtesy to reply.

I now have two stories backed up waiting for an editor.

Why would an editor advertise their availability then not respond to my enquiry? I know that not everyone wants to edit the stuff that I write, but it doesn't take much to respond with "no thanks, not interested"

In December I contacted one of the editors who said she was available. When she didn't respond, I tried again. Still no response. Surely it is common courtesy to reply.

Because their assholes.

I'm sorry that the editor you contacted failed to get in touch with you. While December can be a hectic month, someone should have at the very least explained they were too busy at the moment to be of help. If you are still open to using an editor, I would be happy to take a look.

Arseholes? come one guys

I think that's a bit stong. Yes I was peeved at not getting a response, but it's not that bad. I just expected something like "sorry don't have the time after all" or "Your not really in my bag" (60s throwback)
My previous editor, Juicystarchild, will always be a hard act to follow. We became friends and still stay in contact. However, her family must always have first call on her time and editing is a time consuming job. A good one makes a hell of a difference to a story, just ask Ian Rankin.

All I am asking is for an indication that I am waisting my time, so I can look elsewhere. Alternatively, if circumstances change post again saying you are no longer available.

That has happened with me quite a few times. In my opinion there is a good number of college kids in the editors list that don't fully understand what they are posting for.
In my experience posting an editor request into THIS forum has always worked (i.e. let them come to you, do not go looking for them), while requests sent on the editors list have always resulted in a waste of time and no edited work.
If I was in your shoes I'd keep an eye on who took a step here and proposed to look into your work.

As an editor I have unfortunately done this to authors previously, however there is reason, I was available and willing to edit a number of stories, but unfortunately half way through the month I was struck down with illness and had to be hospitalized, unfortunately I was unable to contact them till after I had gotten better which was 3 weeks later.
I did post on here explaining but it has knocked my confidence a bit when answering editing requests which I am still happy to take but only a set number a month.

Sometimes real life can get in the way, work, family, friends, illness ... and we can't all look into the future, yes it was bad manners to not get in touch, but please don't think us all bad.

I think that's a bit stong. Yes I was peeved at not getting a response, but it's not that bad. I just expected something like "sorry don't have the time after all" or "Your not really in my bag" (60s throwback)
My previous editor, Juicystarchild, will always be a hard act to follow. We became friends and still stay in contact. However, her family must always have first call on her time and editing is a time consuming job. A good one makes a hell of a difference to a story, just ask Ian Rankin.

All I am asking is for an indication that I am waisting my time, so I can look elsewhere. Alternatively, if circumstances change post again saying you are no longer available.

I was actually provoking a response for yah

sorry

All I am asking is for an indication that I am wasting my time, so I can look elsewhere. Alternatively, if circumstances change post again saying you are no longer available.

It seems I owe an apology to the editor concerned. Her internet went down for a month so she didn't receive my requests. I must admit I hadn't thought of that. I will not embarrass them by mentioning the name but I am sorry for misjudging them.

My punishment is that I may have missed out on a good editor.

It seems I owe an apology to the editor concerned. Her internet went down for a month so she didn't receive my requests. I must admit I hadn't thought of that. I will not embarrass them by mentioning the name but I am sorry for misjudging them.

My punishment is that I may have missed out on a good editor.

This does happen. This is why whenever I send anything, I ask for a message back confirming it was received--and why I always message I've received something. Lots of things get lost in cyberspace, I've found.

Last edited:
As an editor I have unfortunately done this to authors previously, however there is reason, I was available and willing to edit a number of stories, but unfortunately half way through the month I was struck down with illness and had to be hospitalized, unfortunately I was unable to contact them till after I had gotten better which was 3 weeks later.
I did post on here explaining but it has knocked my confidence a bit when answering editing requests which I am still happy to take but only a set number a month.

Sometimes real life can get in the way, work, family, friends, illness ... and we can't all look into the future, yes it was bad manners to not get in touch, but please don't think us all bad.

I know I was one of those I think you'll find, PM me if you still want to edit :)

Back