The King and I (closed)

He arrived at the palace, took a lecture from Andy his security chief, reveived coffee from Mr Gibbs and got dressed. Old Max of course was happy to see him and Dave spent a few moments scratching the old dog, then he headed for the dining room, his mother had already finished her meal and had departed, he ate some toast with scrambled egg, then after grabbing a quick shave and brushing his teeth, he headed for the conferance room, he was sure to find Charlotte there s it was almost time for a last meeting before heading for the airport. He had noticed that a travel bag and suitcase stood on his bed, but didn't have the time to check on it.
 
After arriving at the palace, she instructed Mr. Gibbs to stow her luggage in the car that would take them to the airport. She then handed over her keys to a valet and entered the palace, taking her clipboard from its usual location and looking over the schedule for that day. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she saw the amount of things that they had to accomplish that day.

“Morning, Charlie.” The staff called as she walked by and she greeted each one with a smile and a greeting of her own.

Moving into the conference room, she noticed that the people that Dave was suppose to be meeting with were already there and waiting. She appease them with promises that he would be there soon. Ten minutes late, Dave came into the room and she could breathe a little bit easier.

“If I had known his highness was going to be late, I would have woken him up earlier this morning.” She whispered as they took their seats after the customary greetings, a smile on her face at the look that she was given.
 
"His highness had a high priority meeting before he could finish."

He addressed the meeting,

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen, I do appologize for my tardy behaviour by coming late. I had a meeting beforehand, rather important affair, especially since it is an old family friend. So, shall we begin?"
 
The meeting on the treasury went as well as it possibly could have. Changes to the curancy would have to be decided on and another meeting scheduled. After Dave had shook everyone's hand, Charlotte followed him out of the room.

Passing by a narrow alcove that offered some privacy, she grabbed his hand and pulled him inside, her arms looping around his neck and drawing him in for a slow, deep kiss. She sighed as her fingers tangled in his hair, keeping him close for a long moment.

As the kiss broke, she looked at him with a smile. "I missed you." She whispered, her lips pressing to his again.
 
He was quite surprised when Charlotte pulled him into an alcove, as she kissed him, he rested his hands on her waist, he smiled at her words and kissed her back when her lips sought his again. He felt like a naughty college student, but then again the two of them had hidden their feelings for each other long enough. When the kiss finally came to an end he smiled at her,

"That was much better than the meeting I had with old Max. He just wanted his belly scratched."

He grinned at her,

"Come along duchess, we have a tight schedule, you made sure of that."
 
“Hmmm…” Charlotte commented, a smile on her face as he told her that they had to be on their way. “Maybe we should cancel everything and we could stay home. I’d let you scratch my belly.”

Another stolen kiss and she pulls the king from their hidden moment, a sigh on her lips as she’s forced to go back into her duties. The palace is bustling with activity. Suitcases are being packed for transport and the duty list is being passed around for the visit that we are undertaking.

Even the queen seemed in good spirits as she watches everything in the royal apartments happen with a sharp eye.

“I hope that you have a fruitful trip, Donovan.” The queen says, a smile on her face as she hugs her son tightly. “I have to say though, Charlotte looks very happy this morning.”
 
He hugged his mother and held her at arm's length,

"And so do you. Seemed that the feelings I had, was reflected in turn. She was quite happy about that it seems."
 
The queen smiled at her son and felt a happiness at his cheerful mood. “Treat her well then. She’s definitely a keeper.”

“Dave, are you ready?” Charlotte called from the door as it was made known that the plane was ready and the cars were waiting for their passengers.
 
He smiled and gave his mother a kiss on each cheek, cupping her cheeks and craning his neck downwards to look into her eyes,

"Look after yourself mother, I believe that in the days to come I will need your wisdom and support more than ever before."

He gave her a tight hug and gave her a last kiss,

"I love you mother."

He turned and walked to the doorway where Charlotte waited,

"I'm ready, let's go."
 
“As soon as you land, you have a meeting with the king.” Charlotte said, leading him down to their cars.

Stepping out of the palace, it was a beautiful sight to see the skies clearing and a hint of blue peeking through. She slid into the car first, glancing at Dave as he got in beside her and the household staff closed the doors.

“Then you will be meeting with his daughter. She is the Princess Elisabeth. You may address her as Lissy, which is her nickname, after the introductions have been made.” She said, checking her files to make sure that she wasn’t missing anything. “Then we will retired to the hotel and you can change for the state dinner. I believe Gibbs packed your uniform for the occasion.”
 
"Oh God, I have to wear the sabre again!"

He clapped hands in a child-like manner, slumping into his seat as they pulled away,

"I hate that uniform, that will be the first thing that goes the moment I can."

He looked over at her,

"So what is on the menu after the most exhilarating meal?"
 
“It was either the uniform or your crown. I figured you would enjoy the lesser of two evils.” She said, glancing at him as he slumped against his seat and pouted. “If you got rid of that uniform, every old soldier in this country would rise up against you.”

She laughed slightly and leaned across the seat as he looked over at her. She gently pressed her lips against his as he asked what was on the menu after the meal. “Well, I was thinking a nice, quiet night in. Maybe a movie?”

Pulling back to her original spot, she looked at him for a long moment with a silly smile on her face. “Besides, I always thought you looked handsome in your uniform.”
 
He grinned suddenly at her,

"Why does it sound like somebody has a uniform fetish?"

He chuckled and sat up in a more decent manner, he turned his attention to the streets, watching the people as they passed, most waved and he rolled down his window to allow the cool air in, he waved back.

"Why do people tend to like me, but dislike me? Is it the crown?"
 
“I always thought it was because you’re a smart ass.” She commented, looking at him with a grin as he waved to the people on the streets as they watched their king go by.

“Heavy is the head that wears the crown, Dave. You can’t please them all. There are some out there that would see the whole monarchy abolished. There are some that would defend you to their dying breath. You’ll have good days and bad days. You just hope that the good outweighs the bad.”
 
"So far the only thing that I have had is a lot of guff from all the people who are supposed to support me, the long time love of my life finally decided she can tell me how she feel. So it's been a real even balance thing for me."

He saw the driver glance at them in the rearview mirror and grinned,

"Yes Charles it is not easy being the crown prince about to become king, you drove my father around, you know that being king isn't fun at all."

The driver gave a gruff chuckle, they came to the airport and already there was people waiting to see Dave off. That surprised him, usually his departures had been quiet affairs.
 
“You’re off to pick a princess.” Charlie said diplomatically as she saw Dave looking at all the people assembled. “It’s big news.”

With a shrug, she glanced to see the security detail opening her side of the car. Stepping out, she stood her ground and waiting for Dave to exit the vehicle as well. The line of reporters had their cameras at the ready, waiting to take that first snap shot of the most eligible bachelor in the world.
 
He sighed, then placed a broad smile on his face and stepped out, waving at the reporters who shouted out questions and photographers who looked to get their photos in. One bulky reporter almost got past security,

"Prince Donovan! Will this trip change any diplomatic standings?"

Dave stopped and shook his head,

"I am not trying to change everything that my family had done for our country through the ages. I will be going to strengthen relationships, renew old ones and to build up a stronger country than we ever had before."

He grinned and walked on, ignoring all other questions.
 
Charlotte let out a sigh as Dave stopped to answer the question that had been lobbed at him. He had been schooled to not speak to reporters and it seemed that he was going to change the way that royalty was approached.

Following behind him, she ignored the reports and climbed the staircase into the plane and stood staring at him as the rest of the staff filed in after them.

“Your security detail isn’t going to be happy.” She said, shaking her head as she moved towards her normal seat. Her laptop and items were already arranged just so. She simply had to sit down and start working.
 
He shrugged and looked out of the window,

"Then they should never had let him get so close. The best way to prevent him from getting through them if he was to attack me was to stand still. They taught me that as well."

He leaned back into the seat as the head of security and a guard came to sit opposite them.
 
“Why have a press department if you’re going to talk to the press?” She asked him, glancing at him with a raised eyebrow as the head of security and a guard came to sit with them.

“Sir, we need to have a talk about the security for the Duchess de Leon.” The guard said and Charlie paused, looking at Dave with a frown.

“Excuse me? I don’t need a security detail.” She said, glancing at the head of security and then back at Dave. “Donovan, don’t you dare…”
 
He held up a hand to stop Charlotte mid-sentence,

"You are a duchess, an important member of the monarchy and now a very important target for any radical who wishes to lay harm to the country."

He glanced at her,

"I know it's all a bit much to take in duchess, but as the crown prince and future king, it is my duty to look after my royal subjects, the same way they are to look after me. You are here along with the head and vice of my security team so that you can also participate in the decision."
 
“I might be a duchess, but I do not need a security team following my every movement.” She said softly as he glanced at her. Of course he would be the one to speak reason and she let out a long sigh, her body still tense with the unhappiness that she felt.

“One guard. That’s all I shall allow.” She said as she turned towards her computer to begin her work as the plane taxied on the tarmac and picked up speed for take off.
 
He looked over at the two men opposite them,

"Well then since the duchess only needs one guard, I am pretty certain that I only need one as well. I have no need for my every move and thought to be guarded."

He raised his leg, resting his ankle on his knee.
 
Both men looked between one another and then back at him as he made that statement. Charlie stopped her work and looked towards Dave with a long sigh. Looking at the two guards, she gave them a smile.

“Would you both excuse us for a moment?” She asked as they nodded and quickly took up their new seats at a distance.

“Dave, I don’t need a guard. I know that you’ve given me a new title, but what is this all about? You make it sound like I’m in some sort of danger.”
 
Back
Top