Have Lit readers changed over the past year?

TalyisBagley

Experienced
Hello All,

I am posting the sequel to my vampire novel which did very well. I posted the first novel about 1-1 1/2 years ago.

But now, my sequel is getting terrible ratings. I am really shocked. I have an amazing editor so I know its not an editing issue.

ITS NOT JUST MY STORIES

I have noticed the squimish factor on others stories must have gone up within the last year because I read a lot of amazing stories on Lit that have bad ratings. These stories are definitely not vanilla and they are not completely taboo and they are well-written. Did lit become puritanical?

Whats going on with my story? I have no clue whats wrong. Or perhaps Lit readers want sex right away and not plot. My previous chapter didnt have sex and didnt do too well either.

http://www.literotica.com/s/mercurial-ends-ch-04

Terrible ratings? You have three chapters running hot in the 4.6s, and the latest could just be holiday schedules preventing some of the regular readers from getting to it yet.

Comments appear to be positive.

Maybe you're misreading the increasing engagement of readers and the growing readership in Sci-Fi&Fantasy and NonHuman?

With a growing and more engaged readership, you're naturally going to see some drop in average score, because there are more people who may vote 4. Remember, when your score is above 4.0, any vote that isn't 5 drops your score.

Terrible ratings? You have three chapters running hot in the 4.6s, and the latest could just be holiday schedules preventing some of the regular readers from getting to it yet.

Comments appear to be positive.

Maybe you're misreading the increasing engagement of readers and the growing readership in Sci-Fi&Fantasy and NonHuman?

With a growing and more engaged readership, you're naturally going to see some drop in average score, because there are more people who may vote 4. Remember, when your score is above 4.0, any vote that isn't 5 drops your score.

Thanks Dakrniciad for responding.

Hello All,

I am posting the sequel to my vampire novel which did very well. I posted the first novel about 1-1 1/2 years ago.

But now, my sequel is getting terrible ratings. I am really shocked. I have an amazing editor so I know its not an editing issue.[/url]

I'm with Dark on this. Your "Talons of a Dark Heart" series, posted in '09, scored between 4.29 and 4.64. Your new one's getting between 4.35 and 4.66, so I'm really not seeing the downturn here.

Also, the 4.35 is still a new posting. I often find that my new postings get hit with one or two 1s, and depending on how many votes you have at the time, a single 1-bomb can easily drop the rating by 10-20%. Eventually those 1s get cleaned up by sweeps, and the score picks up again.

Just doing a quick look through your numbers they have never been very high.

Unless your older stories used to be much higher and have been trolled down, your new series appears to be doing better than the old one, so not sure what your issue is, your new scores look pretty good.

Back