Anyone here who was in their twenties or thirties back in the 1980's?

erotica_n_s

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Posts
307
Yes, I’m curious as to what life was like back in the 1980’s, particularly in North America. I’ve never been there, but I’m curious as to what it was like to be there at that time. When I think 1980’s, I tend to think of Cheers, films like Die Hard, etc.

These days, most twentysomethings spend a lot of time on Facebook, Twitter, etc.... Wondering what twentysomethings did back then? In a world before the internet, before mobile phones?

Was Starbucks Coffee (or any other Coffee chain) big back then? As big as now? Did twenty-somethings hang out there much?

What were the “big things” happening towards the end of the 1980’s? Aside from the political events in Europe, that is?

To someone (like me) who wants to go back and rediscover the “pop culture” of the 1980’s, what films, TV shows, music, news and sport stories should I check out?
 
Inflation was at 20% in 1980, a gallon of gas was a dollar, cable tv and CNN were new, the Commodore 64 was the hot, cheap microcomputer; everyone had a conversion van with bed and captains chairs; gold bling covering hairy chests and unbuttoned shirts was too cool; Farrah Fawcett was hot; everyone watched Saturday Night Live; a new car cost around 12K; PACMAN was the kewl computer game; LOTUS 123 and VISICALC were the hot new computer spread-sheets; nerds and computer geeks were hacking software and experimenting with digital-packet technology (emails, file sharing); unemployment was 10%; long hair was on the way out for guys; EPCOT was under construction.
 
You should try getting Miami Vice, not the recent movie but the TV show. Besides the part about them being cops with expensive wardrobe and a brand new expensive speed boat it was pretty close to how it was. Certain things were not as prevalent, like swimwear, away from the coast but otherwise, that was the 80's.

Early 80's though it was a lot of people with one sequined glove. Seriously, check out Thriller that was a popular look for people. Don't ask me why but well bell bottoms were popular once. :rolleyes:

What did people do then? Well arcades were all over the place, corner store would have a couple games. Most any place with extra space would have an arcade game. There would be a party most every night, if you didn't have anything to do, you went to a party and got drunk or laid. Many tried for both and managed.

People still wrote letters, it would be delivered in days instead of hundredths of a second. A remote control was the height of technology that most didn't have.
 
So what were the best films made during that era? The best music?

Trends in interior decor? Architectural trends?
 
There was no Facebook, but the PC came out around 1980, and by the mid eighties lots of people either had one, or had access to one at their job or in a library. So there was plenty of email going around, plus some primitive instant messaging apps like ICQ. But most socializing that I can recall still centered around bars and diners and coffee shops.

If you want to get a good smattering of eighties music (and lifestyle, for that matter), rent the movie "Valley Girl" and listen closely to the songs.
 
I was so engrossed in raising toddlers in the 80's that pop culture passed me by.

Sonny Crockett was pretty damn hot though.
 
Middle '70's to three quarters of the way into the eighties...Sex Drugs and Rock & Roll!:)

The parties and the clubs...the drugs the alcohol...the sex...No wonder I'm so fucked up!:D
 
Watch "The Breakfast Club" and "Pretty In Pink"...those two movies capture the 80's in a nutshell. Early Madonna, Springsteen's "Born in the USA".

Farrah Fawcett was not the 80's, she peaked in the 70's. Emap is right with mentioning Miami Vice....how I loved Sonny Crockett and that theme song!! The Wonder Years tv show, Family Ties, and The Cosby show. Oprah hit the scene then too. Eddie Murphy was big then.
 
Let's see, that was the period of Reagan, Back to the Future movie, Cosby Show, Dallas, Phil Collins, Tears For Fears---and many first in my sexual experiences.:rolleyes: Yea, it was nice to be single and in my 20's at that time.:D
 
Also, to address the part of being in our 20's, the 80's was the first decade where having sex could kill you. Aids was new, everyone was afraid to touch anyone without plastic wrap everywhere (we still did anyway, but boy, the fear that lead to!). Herpes was the lead in STD to the 80's but was quickly regulated to "just herpes" once Aids hit the scene.
 
Also, to address the part of being in our 20's, the 80's was the first decade where having sex could kill you. Aids was new, everyone was afraid to touch anyone without plastic wrap everywhere (we still did anyway, but boy, the fear that lead to!). Herpes was the lead in STD to the 80's but was quickly regulated to "just herpes" once Aids hit the scene.

Yea that is correct:eek: It made you stop and think on who might have sex with!!!
 
So what were the best films made during that era? The best music?

Trends in interior decor? Architectural trends?

I think the movie Top Gun would be one of the better movies to depict the 80s.

As to music, "Big Haired Bands" as they became to be known, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister.

Can't tell you about interior trends or architecture of the time... frankly most of my 80s was spent partying. ;)
 
tumblr_ml7h9pDVhQ1qh7gfao1_250.gif


tumblr_mouxo5s3QW1qh7gfao1_r2_250.gif


tumblr_mbhdoptjWm1qh7gfao1_250.gif


tumblr_m75uqr7XqC1qh7gfao1_250.gif


tumblr_m4bnxmLRND1qh7gfao1_250.gif


tumblr_m07ycdI5JS1qh7gfao1_250.gif


tumblr_lrl9kyKOeh1qelbi6o1_500.gif


tumblr_li9nogR9Wv1qhjikro1_500.gif


tumblr_mmg4g3DVxf1ro8ysbo1_500.gif


20minutegallery2.gif
 



Omg, that last one! Soft core porn aerobics on cable!

I also don't remember much about the architecture, I was too busy being a bad Catholic school girl, including college (yes Catholic college:rolleyes:) I do remember doing some house shopping with my parents and everything was either center hall Colonial style or contemporary, with a modular look.
 
Today where kids spend all their time on games and phones we spent on getting high(smoking weed) drinking and sex with some of the greatest Rock music ever known.

Everything else was a means to that end...or front.:D
 
No mention of Fast Times At Ridgemont High?

High school kids acting like 20somethings...probably the most accurate 80's depiction.

Lulz@Miami vice...other than pastel shirts & loafers without socks, and the music, I wouldn't exactly say that was life in the 80's.
Hanging out at the mall or arcade during the week, house parties on the weekend. A few times a summer there would be big music festivals or big stadium concerts that would be weekend long events.


spicoli-toke-meme-generator-that-was-my-skull-i-m-sooo-wasted-78cb64.jpeg
 
I was in my twenties but not in my 30's for only the second half of the 80's.

Should be able to get a Korg DW 8000 at a pawn shop fairly cheap these days.

Screw around with that for an afternoon and you will understand the 80's.


If I have to pick one word that word would be KEYTAR!


... Strolls out like a boss singin "never gonna give you up" in the basso profundo.
 
Last edited:
Well, shit. I remember all of this and then some. Was it really that long ago?

I feel ancient now. :(
 
I skimmed but I don't see one of the most prevalent part of the 80s...nobody knew what AIDS was or why so many people were dying or how a straight woman got it from her dentist.

It was overshadowed by a plague.
 
Back
Top