I like Ships too



showphoto.aspx



Akula is currently anchored in Anguilla.





http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100
 




Twizzle has returned to Falmouth Bay from her two-night stay in Nonsuch Bay. Much to my amazement, at 57.49 m. (189 feet), Wikipedia lists her as the world's 23rd largest private sailing vessel.


She's actually sort of ugly from this perspective:

showphoto.aspx





 




Sailboat folk dread the thought of those damn containers floating about submerged and invisible to the eye.



That is horrifying!

I presumed they all sank, but now that I think about it....:eek:


It'd be like unmeltable growlers or something.

END THE BOXBERG MENACE! But how?
 
Little known facts about Jim since this is a ship thread.


The JAJ was the senior member of the BECCE Team (Basic Engineering Casualty Control Excercise) and earned at the time the highest score ever give by LANTFLEET PEB. (Atlantic Fleet Propulsion Examination Board). Your ship couldn't leave the pier unless you passed their exhausting drills.

My wife is do proud.:)

Then you must have been one of the guys responsible for the excellent propulsion systems tests and evaluations on subs. Let me tell you my man, I was on a couple of submarines that went beyond their designed test limits. Any ship that exceeds its' propulsion readiness expectations is a fine ass lady to be on!
 


There are lots of big sailboats in Falmouth Harbour today.

showphoto.aspx

Wild Thing

staticmap



showphoto.aspx

Rebecca



Twizzle has weighed anchor and is under way; she doesn't sit around too much.

I've discovered that there are lots of places where marinetraffic.com lacks coverage. Many of the islands in the chain don't have reception— there are big holes. You're not going to be able to follow me when I go a'rovin' in two weeks' time.



 
Last edited:
There's an Express 34 in Seward harbor named Wild Thing.

Ahhh, that explains it. You and I will have to insist that the respective owners submit to binding arbitration on the names of their vessels so there's no chance of confusing the two in the future ( other than a mere 13 meters of LOA !! )

:) :)


 

Ahhh, that explains it. You and I will have to insist that the respective owners submit to binding arbitration on the names of their vessels so there's no chance of confusing the two in the future ( other than a mere 13 meters of LOA !! )

:) :)



The longer/wider Wild Thing prolly comes with the lawyer option.
 
Go to the satellite view and look where HAPPY THAURUS is

Happy Thaurus may need a thaw.

Srsly— I know it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere but somebody needs to have their head examined. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "too hot."



ETA: I wonder where the damn receiver is located that's picking up Happy Thaurus' signal ?

From marinetraffic.com FAQs:
You need an AIS receiver.

AIS_Topology.png



 
Last edited:

Happy Thaurus may need a thaw.

Srsly— I know it's summer in the Southern Hemisphere but somebody needs to have their head examined. As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "too hot."



ETA: I wonder where the damn receiver is located that's picking up Happy Thaurus' signal ?


First of all, I love ships, boats, sailing, cruising, and water in general. Second, Trysail, what's with the huge font? Please tell me it's not some cliche overcompensation for a tiny penis.
 
Early 1400's Chinese treasure ship - like the ones in the fleet that circumnavigated the globe in the 1420s.

ChinaZhengHeShip1405vsSantaMaria500pxw.jpg
 
Early 1400's Chinese treasure ship - like the ones in the fleet that circumnavigated the globe in the 1420s.

I read Gavin Menzies' book and did not find the argument or the evidence for his hypothesis compelling. To add insult to injury, his prose was second-rate.




 
Last edited:

I read Gavin Menzies' book and did not find the argument or the evidence for his hypothesis compelling.

How do you explain Asian plants and animals in Central America when the Europeans arrived?

Or the maps that showed Australia and the West Indies prior to European discovery of those areas?

Or the archaeological evidence in Australia of ships made from wood only found in Asia that date to the 1400s?
 
Back
Top