Soundtracks Of Our Lives

What a great idea for a thread - I can't believe I'm just seeing it. And, it's a pleasure to formally meet you, Tallulah! I'll try and catch up.
<snip>

The girl who was my best friend for over 20 years and I used to sing a lot of places, and the first song we did together was John Denver's Country Roads. Haven't heard from her in years, but every once in a while I pull out the guitar and strum a bit of it.

Good to meet you too :D

Thanks for playing! And I spy a lil something that might come in useful down the line as I mentioned earlier in the thread.. ;) :D

Don't worry about killing it lol, it's that kind of thread to drift off until next challenge. And speaking of which...
 
Challenge 5: A song that reminds you of your mum.

We weren’t a wealthy family, and so we rarely went on family holidays. But when we did, it was to a caravan park with all of us piled into a car (no seat belts, and sitting in the boot/trunk was acceptable!). My mum was (is) a poor traveller, and so one of the things to calm her was to play her favourite artist Neil Diamond, and of course the big one that sticks in my mind that we all knew the lyrics to, and sang loudly to, is the epic ‘Sweet Caroline’.
 
Challenge 5: A song that reminds you of your mum.

Depressingly Bette Middler’s The Rose, which I played more times than was healthy when she died... that was a big fat secret because it didn’t fit the gothic exterior teenage me presented angrily to the world at the time. Also Billy Ray Cyrus’ Achy Breaky Heart because for some inexplicable reason, she really fucking loved that song :rolleyes:
 
This is a GREAT idea! Subscribed!!!!

I'm going to go with my first thought which is Puff the Magic Dragon.

My father played a little guitar. He loved Peter, Paul and Mary (and other folk singers), and this was one that fit his voice. I can remember, it must have been maybe 1970, listing to him sing it to my sister and I (she would have been an infant). He sang it a lot, and as a kid, I learned the lyrics and would sing with him sometimes. These were good, fun times.

As I grew older...like Jackie Paper...I put the song away, and my father and I fought, like many teens. At times our relationship was very strained, as I'm sure many of you can relate to.

And then I had my own family, and I found myself singing Puff to my daughter (I don't play guitar, unfortunately), late one night. I could still remember all the lyrics because there, deep in the tracks of my memory, was my father's voice.

Great story. I sing puff - with the help of you tube - to my 3 and 5 year old grandson
 
Challenge 5: A song that reminds you of your mum.

When we moved to Texas, my mom had to go back to school to get her accreditation to teach Special Education. So during the summer of '85, she would get up early, to study and write her papers, while watching the movie "Vison Quest". So this song, and the sound of a clacking typewriter, remind me of my mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUa_G1h3pw
 
Bumping Your Mum for one more evening, then new challenge tomorrow! :D
 
Challenge 5: A song that reminds you of your mum.
Mum was separated from Dad and they still loved each other really, they just couldn't abide living together.
Every time Dad would call her on the phone she would sing this song by Freddie Mercury, Living On My Own.
There are obviously lots of other tunes, but this one always comes to mind
:)
 
Challenge #6. A song that makes you dance.

I think it’s often difficult to not move, not physically react to music in any way. Whether it’s a light shimmy in the car (I do more than that if it’s safe enough…), or a full-blown body spasming movement in the living room as I’m cleaning. For this one, however, I’m going to go with one I used to love and almost forgot about until it was resurrected in the film ‘Sing’. Now my boys love it, and I get to enjoy it all over again. Get ready to shake your booty to the one, the only Gypsy Kings singing 'Bamboleo'.


The film-clip from 'Sing'

The original
 
Challenge #6. A song that makes you dance.
A song that sticks in my head, also known to those of us music aficionados as a 'worm' is Lady Gaga's Alejandro.
Each time I hear it I want to dance to it :) Again, there are lots more, but this one is special because I am a Lady Gaga fan
:)
 
Challenge 4: A song that reminds you of your best friend.

don't forget: linky linky, writey writey! :D

Wave on Wave by Pat Green - This song always reminds me of the night we met.

Challenge 5: A song that reminds you of your mum.

A Song for Mama by Boyz II Men - It's an obvious choice, but it really does move me. I love to sing it as well.

And anything by Neil Diamond make me think of mom. :heart:

Challenge #6. A song that makes you dance.

Maria Maria by Santana/The Product G&B - Most music makes me want to move. This is one of those songs that my hips move to on their own. Anytime. Anywhere.
 
Challenge 4

Loch Lomond - Runrig

Reminds of his wedding day. Tossing him into the air and his kilt getting caught up revealing everything to the whole wedding party..**** times lol 😂

Challenge 5

Turn the Beat Around - Gloria Estefan

Mum loves listening to Gloria. Brought up on listening to her and Phil Collins.

Challenge 6

Mr Brightside - The Killers

A modern classic! Whatever party this on, the dance floor always seems to fill up. Love this record.
 
Back
Top