The AH Recipe Book

Soup Stock

Okay many recipes call for soup stock. SOme people like to use canned stock or Buillion. I don't, I make my own.

Now I have this habit. I save bones. Chicken Bones, Ham Bones, Steak bones etc. As long as they have meat on them they are saved. They are tossed into a large ziplock in the freezer until the bag is full.

When it's time to make some stock the bones are pulled out and defrosted. Into a large stock pot they go along with at least a gallon of cold water. If you happen to have some flavorfull meat left over in the fridge chop it up and toss it in as well. (Yes I save those little pieces of meat that are usually thrown out.) Also into the pot toss a couple of diced Onions, a Bulb of Garlic that has been minced. I like to add a handfull of chopped Peppers, (Ancho's, Japones or Little Birds work well.) as well as a pinch of Oregano. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil before lowering to a simmer. Cover and let simmer.

I like to let this simmer for most of the day, adding water as needed.

When it's done turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Fish out the bones and throw them out. Now comes the hardest part. Ladel the results through a coffee filter into containers. Set the containers in the fridge overnight.

The next day pop the layer of fat off the containers of stock. Freeze the stock.

You now have some stock for cooking.

Cat
 
Something to make with the pumpkins

Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Soup w/ Pumpkin Crisps

Ingredients; 3-3 1/2 lb. pumpkin, 6 tbsp. olive oil, 2 onions chopped, 2 garlic cloves chopped, 3 in. of root ginger, grated, 1 tsp. ground corriander, 1 1/2 tsp. ground tumeric, pinch of cayenne pepper, 4 cups vegetable stock, salt and black pepper to taste, 1 tbsp. sesame seeds and corriander(cilantro) leaves to garnish.

Preparation; Heat oven to 400F. Prick the pumpkin with a fork several times and brush with plenty of oil. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Leave until cool to handle. Avoid steam when cutting into pumpkin. Scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out flesh and chop.

In a large pan, heat 1/4 tbsp. of oil and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook gently 4-5 mins. Add corriander(cilantro), tumeric and and cayenne and cook another 2 mins. Add stock and pumpkin flesh and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
Cool slightly and run through a food processor or blender, until smooth. Return to rinsed pan and season well.

Pumpkin Crisps

Ingedients; wedge of peeled and seeded pumkin, 1/4 cup olive oil

Peel pumpkin in long strips using potato peeler or paring knife. Fry in small pan w/oil until strips are crispy about 2-3 mins. Use paper towel to blot excess oil from crisps.

Re-heat soup and ladle into bowls, garnishing with crisps, sesame seeds and corriander (cilantro)
 
A nice one to warm up with on a cold day

Roasted Pepper Soup w/Parmesan Toast

Ingredients; 1 onion quartered, 4 cloves of garlic(unpeeled), 2 red Bell Peppers, seeded and quatrered, 2 tbsp. olive oil, grated rind and juice of 1 orange, 7oz. can chopped tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups cold water, salt and ground black pepper, 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives for garnish.

Preparation; Place onion, garlic and pepper on rasting pan and drizzle with oil. Mix and coat well. Place pepper skin side up and roast at 400F for 25-30 mins.
Squeeze garlic out of skins into food processor or blender along with other roasted vegetables, orange rind and juice, tomatoes and water. process until smooth. To further smoothen the soup, press through a fine seive with a champigion or the back of a wooden spoon into a large bowl.

Parmesan Toast
Ingredients; 1 medium fresh baguette, 1/4 cup of butter and 6oz solid Parmesan cheese

Draw and half the baguette into four pieces. Spead with butter. Pare slices of Parmesan cheese (4oz.) over buttered bread and then grate
remainder on top. Place on baking sheet and set oven to broil. Toast tops until well browned. Let cool before serving.

This soup can be eaten cold or hot. Enjoy, bon appetite.
 
An Old Favourite

Beef and Barley Soup

Ingredients; 1- 11/2 lbs. rib steak or other stewing beef on the bone, 2 lg. onions, 1/4 cup Pearl Barley, 1/4 cup split peas, 3 large carrots chopped, 2 white turnips diced, 3 celery stalks chopped, 1 lg. leek thinly sliced, sea salt and ground black pepper, chopped fresh parsley and sprigs for garnish.

Preparation;

Bone the meat and place bones and half an onion roughly cut, into a large pot, cover with water and season. Bring to a boil, skim and then simmer until needed.
Trim any fat from meat and cut into small pieces. Chop remaining onion finely. Remove bones and add 8 cups water, then add meat, onions, barley and split peas.
Season and bring to the boil, skim and reduce heat, then cover and simmer for about 30 mins.
Add the rest of the vegetables and continue for another hour or until meat is tender. Check seasoning.
Pour in heated bowls and garnish with fresh parsley sprig.
 
Good Evening all.
I have a request. I realise that the "cup" is probably a recognised unit of measure in the 'States, but it's meaningless round here in the UK.
So please tell me how much in Ounces, pints or even Grams, is a cup ?

and

Any advice on cooking a Bramley apple in a microwave oven would be kindly.
 
Good Evening all.
I have a request. I realise that the "cup" is probably a recognised unit of measure in the 'States, but it's meaningless round here in the UK.
So please tell me how much in Ounces, pints or even Grams, is a cup ?

and

Any advice on cooking a Bramley apple in a microwave oven would be kindly.

A cup is 8 fluid oz. or 1/2 pint in the U.S. and Canada
 
Not sure what a Bramley apple is, but most of our apples that are good for cooking are cored first, leave the skin on. For 6 apples, combine 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. fresh ground cinnamon. Pack into hollow cores and place in shallow dish. Add 1/2 cup water and cover with wrap. Cook on high for two minute intervals, basting apples with sauce, for a total of 10 minutes. Test for tenderness and let cool before serving.

Nutmeats can be added, along with raisins, figs or dates. Sausage meat and other spices like nutmeg and cloves can be used to make recipes.
 
Good Evening all.


Any advice on cooking a Bramley apple in a microwave oven would be kindly.

Do not put any additional sugar in prior to cooking because there's a fair chance you'll burn the sugar before cooking the apple.

Bramley's tend not to fall so you can cut them fairly fine. Otherwise the main factor is the power of your MW in determining cooking time.
 
Lacy Potato Pancakes (Latkes)

From The Pleasures of your Food Processor, Norene Gilletz

4 medium potatoes, pared
1 tsp. baking powder
1 onion
3/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs freshly ground pepper
1/3 c. flour
olive oil for frying

Insert Grater. Cut potatoes to fit feed tube. Grate using very light pressure. Empty bowl and place potatoes in a colander. Rinse under cold water to remove starch. (This will keep the pancakes from turning dark.)

Grate onion, using medium pressure. Without emptying bowl, process all ingredients for a few seconds, just until mixed. (3 or 4 quick on/off turns.)

Pour oil to about 1/8” depth into a large skillet. When hot, drop in potato mixture by large spoonfuls to form pancakes. Brown well on both sides. Drain well on paper towels.

Yield: about 2 dozen or 5 dozen miniatures for hors d’oeuvres. May be frozen.

To reheat: Place pancakes in a single layer on an ungreased foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake uncovered at 450 F for 7-8 minutes, until crisp and hot
 
Since this is what I'm getting ready to do, I'll share. :)

Carve a pumpkin! Save the seeds! :)

Rinse the seeds and pat them dry.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Put them in a plastic bag, then add...

1 tbsp melted butter, or oil
1 tbsp granulated suger
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
optional: 1 tbsp brown sugar

(You can use more or less, depending on taste, and
depending on how many seeds you have.)

Toss to coat, then place onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake for 45-60 minutes, turning occasionally.

Sometimes I put foil on the baking sheet to save time on clean up. :)

Mmm! Yummy! Yay Halloween! :devil:
 
On the subject of pancakes--and cold weather, should it ever arrive.


Simple Spelt Pancakes (and it might work with whole wheat flour, too)

2 cups (7ox.) spelt flour
2 Tbs. Splenda
1 Tbs. baking powder
Âľ tsp salt
1 Âľ cup (14 oz.) milk
2 Tbs. melted butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Whisk together the spelt flour, Splenda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Combine the milk, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk the liquids into the dry. Let sit 15 minutes. Adjust the consistency of the batter with a little water. Make pancakes.
 
White Chocolate Cappucino w/Frangelico

In a small saucepan, add 2 oz. white chocolate squares, 2 cups of milk and heat on low until chocolate melts. Add 1/2 cup 18% table cream and 1/2 cup fresh espresso coffee and blend, raising temp to medium to bring to a low boil. Avoid scalding milk. When steaming, pour into mugs and add 1 1/2 oz. of Frangelico and stir. A dollop of fresh whipping cream on top with white chocolate shavings covering that.
makes 2 servings
 
Hot, Hot Chocolate

In a small saucepan, add 2 cups milk and 1 cup cream (18%) and heat on low.
Add 2 oz. dark chocolate squares and 2 oz. milk chocolate squares. Stir until melted. Stir in 1 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. cinnimon. Heat until steaming and serve in mugs with a dollop of whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings on top.
makes 2 servings
 
Thanks very much for the help, folks.
My old Mum used to bake the apples in the oven (of course), in pan thing with water and she put raisins and brown sugar in the middle.
A pause every now & again ensured they were basted.

The snag is that me & the oven ( aka 'the incinerator') do not get on well.
The microwave is 750 W.
 
Thanks very much for the help, folks.
My old Mum used to bake the apples in the oven (of course), in pan thing with water and she put raisins and brown sugar in the middle.
A pause every now & again ensured they were basted.

The snag is that me & the oven ( aka 'the incinerator') do not get on well.
The microwave is 750 W.

The trick with apples in the oven is to baste them often. First 20 mins. at 350F covered with tinfoil and the second 20 uncovered and then baste every 5 min. Just have to remember them and not do something else while baking.
 
I find that slicing Granny Smiths and sauteeing them in butter then sprinkling them with a brown sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg mixture is a lot faster and more fool proof. At least, it's more bear proof. :rolleyes:
 
Cooking is my third favorite indoor sport! Eating is second . . .
horny-1.gif
 
White Chocolate Cappucino w/Frangelico

In a small saucepan, add 2 oz. white chocolate squares, 2 cups of milk and heat on low until chocolate melts. Add 1/2 cup 18% table cream and 1/2 cup fresh espresso coffee and blend, raising temp to medium to bring to a low boil. Avoid scalding milk. When steaming, pour into mugs and add 1 1/2 oz. of Frangelico and stir. A dollop of fresh whipping cream on top with white chocolate shavings covering that.
makes 2 servings

Have you people actually made any of these recipes? Because most of them seem like they're just copied from one damned cook book or another, and that a lot of them aren't going to work.

This one for example: have you ever actually tried to melt white chocolate in milk on a stove stop without scalding the milk? It's almost impossible. The best way to melt chocolate on a stove is with a double boiler, which will keep you from scorching the sugar, and that takes like half an hour. A long time to wait for a damned cup of coffee.

An easier way to make this kind of chocolate coffee is to use regular coffee and an envelope of pre-sweetened cocoa mix. Just dump it in. Saves like two hours of potchkying in the kitchen brewing espresso and melting chocolate, with nothing to clean up.

In an earlier recipe for beef barley soup, I noticed there was no beef broth used. Supposedly you made your own broth out of the bones from 1- 1 1/2 pounds of meat. You can't make beef broth out of raw bones. It has no flavor. The bones have to be browned overnight in the oven first, and the bones from that amount of meat aren't going to flavor that much water. You're going to end up with beef-in-water soup with a layer of fat on it. Voice of experience.

Hey, I like to cook as much as the next guy, but how about some recipes we've actually made that don't take 4 hours in the kitchen?
 
Back
Top