Ideas for 2019 Story Events

Alrighty! We're really rolling....

"One Night in Taipei" by rebel_code (I think I can ask to have that added retrospectively, it's not like it's a competition)

It's not a competition. No reason why it shouldn't be included if you'd like it in. The title fits to a T.

That's awfully kind of you Chloe, but my story actually doesn't follow the rules: it doesn't all take place in one night. But what if I were to rewrite it to make it comply, and add a subtitle to differentiate it from the original. That sounds like fun, and would also make it a "new" story, sort of.

Working title for my One Night in New Orleans entry is Masquerade. It’s just a working title now but I think it’s going to stick.

Long ago was a Jan & Dean album IIRC called SURF CITY (AND OTHER SWINGIN' CITIES) with songs like HONOLULU LULU and KANSAS CITY and MEMPHIS and WAY DOWN YONDER IN NEW ORLEANS. A theme of A FUCK IN SAN FRANCISCO and A FUCK IN FULLERTON should do well.

That's awfully kind of you Chloe, but my story actually doesn't follow the rules: it doesn't all take place in one night. But what if I were to rewrite it to make it comply, and add a subtitle to differentiate it from the original. That sounds like fun, and would also make it a "new" story, sort of.

Sure, go ahead.

I admit this idea would be easier for me as I have experience at writing historical fiction and most of my stories are set in the past, but how about an erotic story set during a historical event? The event could be directly part of the story, for example the Titanic sinking in 1912; or playing a major part in the background such as the 1969 moon landing?

I admit this idea would be easier for me as I have experience at writing historical fiction and most of my stories are set in the past, but how about an erotic story set during a historical event? The event could be directly part of the story, for example the Titanic sinking in 1912; or playing a major part in the background such as the 1969 moon landing?

One Night in Houston? Something like that? A historical event would be fine as long as it’s in the One Night in xxx title format and it’s over one night

Okay, back on track and 1k words in. I lost some of the insider jokers on the rewrite but it'll do for now.

"One Night in Roswell" is alive and well.

"One Night in Roswell" is alive and well.
We've spent nights in Roswell, near Goddard's rocket lab. And the UFO museum in an old supermarket downtown, ay yi yi! Much could happen there, and at the bottomless lakes on the outskirts. Not to mention bat swarms, or Mescaleros. I've set at least one story episode there but more could emerge.

ObTopic: I could suggest many events that I would likely not join because addle-brained. (Hundreds of wasps stung my head so my brain is addled by venom.) But LIT could see as many events as the Church calendar has feast days. Which saint will be sexually devoured this week? Or just pick days from the Old Farmer's Almanac and do something appropriate, excluding farm animals.

....But LIT could see as many events as the Church calendar has feast days. ....

I think I got what I wanted, so I'm running with the "One Night in XXX" Event.

There's not a lot of big gaps in the LIT calendar between competitions so this is enough for me to run with for 2019. I don't want to be greedy and do more than one. Other people deserve the opportunities to cut loose with their own ideas :D

So here's a question, everyone. Laurel asked if there'd be interest in running Geek Day again for May 25th, and speaking for myself, I loved the Geek Day stories. So what do you all think about doing Geek Day again for May 25th?

We could bring the One Night in XXX forward to mid-April. I'm thinking the "One Night" stories would be quicker to write so if we did One Night in XXX in mid-April, Geek Day mid-May and National Nude Day starting June 20. That'd be a nice flow, month by month up to June.

So here's a question, everyone. Laurel asked if there'd be interest in running Geek Day again for May 25th, and speaking for myself, I loved the Geek Day stories. So what do you all think about doing Geek Day again for May 25th?

I had hoped to see Geek Day repeated. Would you be organizing it?

We could bring the One Night in XXX forward to mid-April. I'm thinking the "One Night" stories would be quicker to write so if we did One Night in XXX in mid-April, Geek Day mid-May and National Nude Day starting June 20. That'd be a nice flow, month by month up to June.

Speaking for myself, that schedule would be too tight for me to participate in both events. I don't currently have an idea for a GPD story, but if ONI was pushed up to April, I might not have time to finish. So I'll only do one or the other. The calendar will determine which.

...speaking for myself, I loved the Geek Day stories. So what do you all think about doing Geek Day again for May 25th?

Quick question from a newb. Is there a "place" I can go to find last year's stories and read up a bit?

Quick question from a newb. Is there a "place" I can go to find last year's stories and read up a bit?

This links to last year's Geek Pride Day stories. And this links to last year's event announcement.

Discussion here was that the stories should be quite geeky; space operas, future distopias, and so on. I had a SciFi story ready ("The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village") and decided not to enter it because it wouldn't be geeky enough. In retrospect, I wish I'd saved it instead of posting early.

This links to last year's Geek Pride Day stories. And this links to last year's event announcement.

Discussion here was that the stories should be quite geeky; space operas, future distopias, and so on. I had a SciFi story ready ("The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village") and decided not to enter it because it wouldn't be geeky enough. In retrospect, I wish I'd saved it instead of posting early.

Thank you, sir. A deposit has been made to your "off the record" account in the Caymans. Oops was I not supposed to mention that out in the open?

My bad! :D

I had hoped to see Geek Day repeated. Would you be organizing it?

I'll ask PuckIt - it was PuckIt's idea originally but if he's not up to it or available I can run with it unless somebody else would like to step up. I don't mind doing it but PuckIt should get the credit for the idea. (update: I've PM'd PuckIt to ask)

It's honestly not much more than writing the announcement and starting the thread. Laurel looks after all the hard work around creating the page and posting the submitted stories. So yes, if PuckIt isn't available and unless somebody else wants to, I'll do it as well. On the other hand, if PuckIt's good I'll pass the baton on Geek Day :)

Last edited:

I'd be more interested in reprising the Geek Day Event than in One Night. I like them both but there's no way I can work a back to back month schedule with those events. If we did that I'd bag the One Night and focus on the Geek Day because I've already started writing a story that would work well with Geek Day.

I'd be more interested in reprising the Geek Day Event than in One Night. I like them both but there's no way I can work a back to back month schedule with those events. If we did that I'd bag the One Night and focus on the Geek Day because I've already started writing a story that would work well with Geek Day.

Or we could just move "One Night" to later in the year if it's going to be too much of a push.

The official LIT 2018 contest calendar looks like this:
Valentine's Day (February 14)
April Fool's (April 01)
National Nude Day (July 14)
Summer Lovin' (northern hemisphere)
Halloween (October 31)
Winter Holidays (northern hemisphere)​
Nothing for March, May, June, and most of November. Nothing for Easter or equinoxes. No summer specials for the southern hemisphere unless Ozzies fly to Hawai'i or celebrate XMas nude. Nothing special for the Hijaz, eclipses, or the seasonless equatorial regions.

Of course seasonal and other events need not be formal contests, as the 750-word project shows. No sanction from Laurel is needed for author-provoked word-spurts. Start a story title with A DAY IN... or MAY DAY IN... or TAX DAY IN... and enjoy reader responses. Try EASTER IN GUATEMALA WITH PICKPOCKETS as a holiday event, or EQUINOX IN OSLO WITH SAL for whatever.

Or stage a dialog-only event. Zero narration; only the players' voices. Sure.

Or we could just move "One Night" to later in the year if it's going to be too much of a push.

If support for Geek Day is strong enough, I would recommend that. Maybe September, before Halloween but after Nude Day and Summer Loving.

Hey Chloe, here's another one for your tracker.

AmoryParks - One Night in Prague

"One Night in Roswell" is finished. All 1860 words of it.

One problem. I had to make the last paragraph nine months later to have the right ending.

Chatted with PuckIt and he's good with me running with Geek Day.

I think I'll just organize both, April for "One Night" and May for "Geek Day" and let everyone pick and choose - either do both or just do one or the other as suits :D

"One Night in Roswell" is finished. All 1860 words of it.

One problem. I had to make the last paragraph nine months later to have the right ending.

I've been pondering an idea and this little problem has also caused me to think harder than I normally like to do. My thought so far is to do a "look back intro" on that 'one night'. I'm thinking the actual story part will be over the course of one night. I could end it at that but it leaves me unsatisfied since there's no real resolution. It's based on a song though, so those who knew the song would probably get it w/o the intro...ah, decisions, decisions and life is already complicated enough :rolleyes:

This whole event could have also been very interesting if everyone had to write about the same town/city...but that could have ended up being embarrassing for some of us :eek:

Back