Protection (closed)

I have a platter of tacos and all the fixings, chips and salsa, and a bowl of beans and rice ready and waiting on the table. Wine for all the adults and juice for Molly as we get everyone settled down for the meal.

“I don’t know if your dad told you he was going to put you to work today, Alex, but we do appreciate it. We decided to leave the guest rooms up on the second floor alone for you both when you come to visit.” I say with a smile as Alex laughed and looked at you with a grin.

“I can help too!” Molly insists as she eats her tacos. “I’m a good helper.”

“Not today, Molly. They’re doing work that you can get hurt doing. After lunch though, Maria and I are going to take you shopping.” I say, her eyes wide as she gets to go shopping with the grownups.
 
"Thank you, babe . . . that will definitely make it easier with what we have to get done today. Just getting the 2x4's into the concrete floor is what I really want to get done today. The nail gun is pretty loud; I do have hearing protection for both of us, as well as eye guards; definitely not the place for a 5-year old."

As everyone settles into the taco's, I bring Alex and Maria up-to-date on my plans. "My retirement from the department is official; I start drawing my pension next month. I am also going to be working at Home Depot a couple of days a week. The store manager is a friend of mine, someone I worked with during a flurry oy burglaries there; he was very generous in finding a part-time job for me."

"We haven't set a date yet, but are definitely thinking sooner, rather than later; so we were kind of wondering what your plans were over the Christmas holidays. With my work in the Department, and Michaela's time in the State Attoorney's office, we know several judges that we can ask to perform the ceremony."
 
“Yeah, a small ceremony with some friends and family. Of course, we’d like you both to have a part in the ceremony.” I say with a smile as we lay out our plans. “Then a cruise so we’ll need someone to watch Miss Molly. If you aren’t busy Maria, we’d like you to watch her. If you can’t, she can go and stay with the neighbors.”

“Whatever date works out best for the both of you. I know that it’s important to spend time with your mother too.” I say, expressing my understanding of them having to spend time with both of their parents.

“We’ve also been talking about me giving up my position with the state attorney. It’s been a good job, but your dad wants me to spend more time at home with Molly.” I leave off the fact that we’re going to try for a baby as soon as we’re married.
 
Thinking about their holiday work schedules and time with their mother, it looks like we might try to get married on Friday before New Year's Day. Maria says she can stay with Molly, but probably not until early February. That should work for us since we haven't started looking for cruise bookings yet.

After lunch, Alex and I clear the table while the ladies prepare for the shopping trip. The we go down to the basement, and after re-measuring the floor, nail the 2x4's into the floor, ready for the wall studs separating the office from the family room.

Enough work for one afternoon, Alex and I crash in front of a college football game . . . and fall asleep.
 
At the mall, Maria and I take a look at some things at a department store before a stop at the toy store for Molly. We can’t help but peek at a bridal store and we have a fun time laughing and browsing through everything. I get a few ideas for some of the things that I’d like to have for our own wedding.

Another trip to the grocery store before we head home. By the time I pull up in front of the house, Molly is sound asleep in her car seat. “Would you mind carrying her in, Maria? You can tuck her into her bed and I’ll get the other bags.” I say as she nods and gets Molly out of the car and into the house.

I notice that you and Alex have crashed on the couch and I tiptoe close enough to cover you both with a blanket and kiss your cheek before I move into the kitchen. After Maria comes down, I get her to help me with dinner.

“So, your dad and I are thinking about expanding the family.” I say to her as she cuts carrots and potatoes. I glance over at her, trying to gage her reaction to that. “But only if you and Alex are comfortable with the idea.”
 
Waking up to find a blanket over me, I hear voices in the kitchen . . . and can make out just enough words to know that you are telling Maria of our plans to add to the family. As Alex begins to stir, we both focus on the TV and the game for a few minutes.

"Alex, there is one more thing you need to know, and I overheard Michaela talking to Maria in the kitchen. Although we have not said anything to Molly yet, we have talked about having a baby after we get married; another reason I want her to stay home with Molly."

Waiting to see if Alex has any reaction to this announcement.
 
“Really?” Maria said with a smile as she finished the vegetables and tossed them into the soup pot before she started on the peas and corn that she was working on. “Dad wasn’t there a lot when we were little but he’s still a pretty awesome dad. I’ve been so worried about him since he and mom got divorced. When he’s with you he just seems to bright and happy. He adores Molly and I know that he’ll take good care of you and any other children that come along.”

I have tears in my eyes when Maria says that and I move across the kitchen to hug her tightly. “I’d be very happy to call you my daughter, Maria. We want you and Alex there every step of the way.”
 
Alex looks over at me with that look that says, "I'm going to nail your ass with this comment." He just smiles and says, "Are you sure you've still got any bullets in your gun, old man?"

That he is willing to say something like that tells me he approves. "Guess you'll just have to ask Michaela, smart-ass." We both get and walk out to the kitchen and check out the smells that are drifting into the living room, "I think young Alex here has a question for you, Michaela." Looking toward my son, I see him turning beet-red.
 
I let go of Maria and turned to look at the two of you as you come into the kitchen. I see Alex turning bright red and I look at you with a grin.

“Alan, what have you been doing to the boy?” I ask as I step forward and wrap him in a hug, giving you a mock glare as I do. “Don’t worry, Alex. I’ll protect you from your father.”
 
"Seems like Alex has lost his ability to speak; he was just wondering if his 'old man' still has any bullets left in his gun if we intend to have another child."

As embarrassed as Alex is, Maria is totally destroyed that her brother would even ask such a question, and even more so that her father would repeat it in front of her . . . she hides her face in her hands and looks to you for help, "How can you put up with him, Michaela?"
 
Last edited:
“Alan.” I scold softly, a smile on my face as Alex and Maria are completely mortified that you would bring up the topic of sex in such a way. “I put up with him because we both know who wears the pants in this relationship. His bullets won’t get anywhere close to me if he doesn’t toe the line.”

Laughing as I let go of Alex, I move to the wine cabinet and pull down four glasses. “Who all wants wine? We have some beer in the fridge too.” I say with a smile as I shoo everyone back into the living room where we sit and chat and watch the foot ball game like a happy family minus Molly who comes downstairs about an hour later and curls up quietly in your lap.
 
"Beer for me . . . and just for your info, ladies, Alex is the one who brought up the questions of live bullets in the first place, not me." Acting like I have been greatly offended that I would be accused of such talK, as everyone else laughs as you 'scold me' in front of them.

But who does Molly look for when she comes down from her nap . . . she knows who has the best lap!!
 
“Mommy, can I have some juice?” Molly asks as she relaxes in your lap. I smile and nod, standing up to get it for her. A glass of apple juice later, she’s happily watching sports with the boys as Maria and I talk about plans for the upcoming wedding.

“I was thinking about having the ceremony here in the backyard. I think there’s enough room and it can be so pretty decorated.” I say and Maria agrees, wholeheartedly throwing herself into the planning as well.

“And I’ll watch Molly that night. Dad can get us a hotel room and we can have a girl’s night.” Maria says with a grin.
 
I'll leave the wedding planning to you and Maria; just tell Alex and me what to wear, where to be, and when to be there - that's all we need to know.

Molly settles into the couch between Alex and me and watches the game with us . . . she is already a Cardinals baseball fan; now I'll just turn her into a Bears football fan - the perfect little girl. As the game goes on, seems like she is sitting closer to Alex, which doesn't seem to bother him a bit.
 
"Alex, what are those guys doing?" Molly asks, pointing towards the screen and the football game that's being played. "Are they the good guys or the bad guys?"

I laugh softly as I watch her interact with Alex, a grin on my face as I look towards you. It seems that Miss Molly is working her magic and wrapping Alex around her little finger.
 
This time Alex has a little sister he can enjoy; when he and Maria were growing up, little sister was always bugging him, but this is different. And Maria has the little sister she never had. And, besides, they get to go to their own apartments at the end of the visit.

Alex tries to explain the basics of football to a 5-year old . . . challenging, but fun to watch.
 
“I only want to cheer for the good guys.” Molly insists as she looked over at you, a sweet smile on her face. “Like the Cardinals.”

“I’m going to go check on dinner. I’ll call everyone when it’s ready.” I say, standing from my seat and sneaking a kiss from you before I head into the kitchen, surrounded by the sounds of a family discussion and loving every minute of it.
 
"Well, Molly, this is a game between two colleges, Alabama and Georgia. I don't really have a favorite in this game, so I guess they are both good guys," Alex tries to explain to her. "I just like to watch them play. Sometimes I do have a favorite team, but not this time."

Tempted to squeeze your ass in exchange for the kiss, but too many eyes in the living room.
 
Molly nods her head, acting like she understands Alex. She watches the screen until UGA comes on screen and she lets out a squeal. "They have a puppy!" She says, her eyes huge as she looks at Alex. "If they have a puppy then they have to be good."

"Alan, can you come in here for a minute?" I ask, putting in some bread to bake as you come into the kitchen. I smile at you and hug you when we're alone. "Just wanted some time with you, babe. Everything seems to be going really well."
 
"Well, Molly, that is a good reason to cheer for Georgia," Alex tells her.

"You're right about that, honey; I knew they would approve of our marriage. And Maria seems so excited to be helping you with the plans." Giving you a hug as we chat for a moment in the kitchen.
 
“I’m happy that everything has worked out so well.” I say as I hug you tightly, a smile on my face. “It seems like Molly has worked her magic on Alex.”

Kissing you gently, I sigh softly as I stare up at you with a look of both love and lust. “And late tonight, I’m going to work my magic on you, baby.”
 
"I'm sure you will," I chuckle a bit . . . "you always do. And I better get away from you before I can't walk back in the living room without showing what you are doing to me right now." Leaning over and whispering in your ear, "Fucking tease." That always brings a smile to your face . . .

Walking back into the living room and rejoining Alex and Molly on the couch, "Dinner should be ready before too long."
 
“Alan, can we get a puppy?” Molly asks, looking from the television screen to you with a sparkle in her eyes. “Please? I’ll take good care of it.”

Maria looks over at the two of you and smiles, wondering how you’ll deny the little girl such a simple request.
 
"Molly, that is something we will have to discuss - you, your Mom, and me - after we get married. I promise we will talk about it after the wedding." The disappointment is obvious and the lower lip starts to quiver . . . all of a sudden, Alan is the 'bad guy' in the room.

Feelling helpless, but now is definitely not the time to bring a puppy into this household . . . remodelling, a wedding, and besides, puppies grow up to be real dogs . . . and if her idea of a puppy is UGA, that is one big dog.
 
"But, Alan..." She starts to whine, her lower lip quivering as she stares at you with tears gathering on her lashes. "Please? I've been good and I really want a puppy. Please?"

Standing in the doorway of the kitchen, I watch the scene with a grin on my face. It's about time that you are concidered the bad guy and I watch how you handle her. Maria was right, you really are an awesome father and it warms my heart to see you treating Molly just like your own daughter.
 
Back
Top