Discouraged

Because the audience wants bad spelling?

I was referring to the poster who gave the advice to write better stories.

Literotica readers in all categories seem to tolerate some bad spelling and some grammar mistakes if the story is otherwise to their liking and well-told.

rj

I find the most scathing rebukes come from the pussies who post anonymously. If you're gonna call me out, at least have the balls to let me see who you are. I never take comments from 'anonymous' seriously for this reason.

...and yet I feel like "igottapussy" may not be your RL name.

Do you want to be read, or do you want to be universally admired?

The former is possible. The latter is not, although a lot of people seem to be aiming for it anyway.

I just started on Literotica and the fear of my stories sucking so badly that I should give up, plagues me every time I pick up my pencil. No matter what I do, I feel like my stories are awful and the amount of grammatical errors and typos that get passed my eyes when I re-read my story just enforces that feeling that I will never succeed in my goal of publishing a series of stories, both smutt and clean.

So why do I keep going? Beats the hell out of me I just do and I just try.

Now I grew up playing online and writing online so I've gotten used to trolls but even then one can push your buttons. So all you need to do is grab a beer, cup of coffee or some tea, flick off the trolls on your screen tell em to go screw themselves and carry on.

Good luck everyone.

I just started on Literotica and the fear of my stories sucking so badly that I should give up, plagues me every time I pick up my pencil. No matter what I do, I feel like my stories are awful and the amount of grammatical errors and typos that get passed my eyes when I re-read my story just enforces that feeling that I will never succeed in my goal of publishing a series of stories, both smutt and clean.

Now I grew up playing online and writing online so I've gotten used to trolls but even then one can push your buttons. So all you need to do is grab a beer, cup of coffee or some tea, flick off the trolls on your screen tell em to go screw themselves and carry on.

Good luck everyone.

Welcome to the Authors Hangout, Arthur. Hopefully cumming and staying:D especially with such a positively exciting userid. Do come often lol

And I wouldn't worry about your stories sucking, they'd have to be truly awful to beat some of the competition. The comments an be a great motivator to improve....

Last edited:
I will try to visit these pages when I can. Sadly I tend to fall into a deep state of underwhelming brooding that leaves me more like a zombie than a human being.

Right now I am discouraged myself as I am starting to realize, I am woefully under prepared for starting down the path of an author.

I have no spare funds to spend, I am anti social and have no idea how to gander attention let alone build a platform in which I can get books/stories/flash card to sell and reading all the X signs you are not ready to publish has me scared.

As much as I enjoy writing, a man cannot live off of digital words alone and I really need some success sometime soon.

I will try to visit these pages when I can. Sadly I tend to fall into a deep state of underwhelming brooding that leaves me more like a zombie than a human being.

Right now I am discouraged myself as I am starting to realize, I am woefully under prepared for starting down the path of an author.

I have no spare funds to spend, I am anti social and have no idea how to gander attention let alone build a platform in which I can get books/stories/flash card to sell and reading all the X signs you are not ready to publish has me scared.

As much as I enjoy writing, a man cannot live off of digital words alone and I really need some success sometime soon.

Look deep into your heart and find something that brings passion to your lips and fingers. Then write it.

Publish it here to see if your vision meets with reader approval. If so, then you have success you can build upon. There are many paths to follow from there.

One helpful thing to do is WRITE and write OFTEN. Most newly discovered authors have several unpublished manuscripts just hanging around while they shop their latest. Those works are mostly ready to go after the changes the Publisher wants you to make to them. But that's easier (sometimes) than starting from scratch with a production time limit hanging over your head. So get that unpublished manuscript file started.

I have no spare funds to spend, I am anti social and have no idea how to gander attention let alone build a platform in which I can get books/stories/flash card to sell and reading all the X signs you are not ready to publish has me scared.....

No one ever thinks they're ready when they start putting their stories in front of readers and if they do it's more often than not over confidence in their own talent. Me, I'd been writing and coming up with stories since I was about 12 and my partner finally persuaded me to try writing and posting my stories here. Literotica has a remarkably forgiving readership and my first attempts got enough good feedback to boost my confidence enough to continue. So all I say is write it and post it. Your readers will help you push yourself to that next level and then the next and the next .... just do it and once you start, you won't be looking back. It's easy to zombie out and think you're not good enough but that's just needless negativity that's holding you back. Write it and your readers will find you....

I already have a few binders filled with ideas and a couple rough draft stories. I try to write often but I have a gaming addiction that binds me to try a game once in awhile.

Sadly this is my only artistic expression. I can't draw, carve or anything but I can write and I do enjoy it for the most part I mean. The stress of needing to get something published does drain me and little hiccups act like road blocks.

I don't really have one genre that I write. I do incest stories, bi, gay, straight, furry, human and stuff but I don't touch Adultery, cuckold snuff or anything really gross (Yeah what is worse than incest and furries)

Well that should be enough of my brooding for one evening. What I need is someone to stand over my to whip me back into shape. (No BDSM puns please)

P.S

Errr how long does it take to publish something on here?

Shucks. I write incest stories. And I generally ignore my spell checker. (It doesn't know what word I want, and I usually spell better anyway.)

Spell checkers can help, but nothing beats proof-reading. Grammar checkers are a waste of time. :(

Good luck everyone.

beer. sound advice. ;)

Mr. Cummings, it sounds like you have bigger problems than worrying about getting something published. I'd figure them out and then worry about making money from writing.

Well Arthur, you won't make money here but you will find out if readers of explicit erotica like your writing and that's the first step. Stop thinking in circles and just do it, but if money's your concern, writing isn't generally a direction to take. 99% of "writers" don't make money from it and if you want to do that, you're going to have to be focused, dedicated, motivated, write continuously to improve, spend every moment of time you have availabile writing, get your Stories in front of readers and accept that success in writing is 99% pure hard work.

So go get started. Post a story. Your first one here will take a few days to get approved. Don't wait. Start your next one right after you hit submit. Want motivation? Come back here and get motivated. Whining verboten. Unless you're me of course and I only whine now and then and it's usually my own fault.

Well Arthur, you won't make money here but you will find out if readers of explicit erotica like your writing and that's the first step. Stop thinking in circles and just do it, but if money's your concern, writing isn't generally a direction to take. 99% of "writers" don't make money from it and if you want to do that, you're going to have to be focused, dedicated, motivated, write continuously to improve, spend every moment of time you have availabile writing, get your Stories in front of readers and accept that success in writing is 99% pure hard work.

So go get started. Post a story. Your first one here will take a few days to get approved. Don't wait. Start your next one right after you hit submit. Want motivation? Come back here and get motivated. Whining verboten. Unless you're me of course and I only whine now and then and it's usually my own fault.

Listen to Chloe. She joined Lit not so very long ago and is impressive in her output, quality and sheer chutzpah - and exhausting to watch (if you can see her for the dust). I'm unashamed to say I'm a fan, as much for her material but far, far more for her attitude, and when she says, just write, write some more, just write, she's so right. (Hey Chloe, how's your left arm? ;) )

But seriously, no-one's interested in the folder of ideas and a thousand started plots. But if you get one out there, and another, then the next one, that's when people pay attention. That's when you find out if you're a writer or not - when you crave the next five-hundred words, when your heart goes thump when someone says, "I liked that", when the coffee gets cold because the ideas are just boiling.

But you gotta put the first one out there, because only then can the next piece be better than the last piece. Far too many people fret and fuss over the last story they wrote. Don't do that; fret and fuss over the one you haven't written yet - it's the important one.

Good luck everyone.

For one thing, Arthur, you will need an editor or, at least a proof-reader. You have two errors on your post, and the first one would probably get by Spell-check. The second might be a typo or it might be a misspelling, depending on what you are saying.

just compare the number of hits you receive to the number of trolls who bash you. the vast majority of readers are here for a good time, the rest are internet trolls who have lived in their mother's basement for too long. fuck'em if they can't take a joke!

WELL SAID!!!:devil::devil:

I guess the reason it annoys me is if 'anonymous' is a writer him/herself I'd like to know that so I have the opportunity to see if he/she knows wtf they are talking about, or if it's a case of a know-it-all who can't write their way out of a paper bag.

I guess the reason it annoys me is if 'anonymous' is a writer him/herself I'd like to know that so I have the opportunity to see if he/she knows wtf they are talking about, or if it's a case of a know-it-all who can't write their way out of a paper bag.

You’re overthinking it. If you’re losing this kind of sleep over it, you’re doing what the trolls want you to do.

Put it this way: if you, as a writer, were to submit a comment critiquing another’s work, you’d sign it, yes? To do it anonymously would make you a coward, yes?

So why would you give three, or even two, shits about a coward’s opinion? Let it go.

Back