Anything but love (closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,473
5e2c23f2.jpg

She was a photo journalist who had always found herself drawn to some of the most volatile situations and dangerous locales and this time was no different. She was working half for a company and half for herself, using their money to get what they want and feed her own agenda. Due to the places her intended job took her she had been given a hired gun... bodyguard merc whatever you want to call him... they have worked together before and butted heads on more than one occasion on opposite sides of the situation as well. She was always glad when they could part company and her what she hoped was passing interest in that muscle bound bull headed man could pass. Deep down she knew she was in love and loathed that feeling but for some reason always found herself in need of hiring him or found him seeking her out to help her... By the Gods please don't let this man feel the same... thats the last thing she needs was some man fawning over her and worrying about her...She was perfectly fine alone in this world traveling and revealing the good the bad and the ugly and making the world face it all.
c0429ba0.jpg

Little did she know he was fighting the same feelings with no clue that she could ever love someone like him. He was the type she exposed... cold calculating killer but he did it for the right reasons.... and money. She may have been just as comfortable in the depths of some jungle sleeping on the ground but the stunning beauty he saw no matter where they were to him always deserved the lavish places her various employers money set her up in. She was so strong and so beautiful to him but way too reckless so something drove him to always be the one to protect her whenever he could.

~They sat in the spacious villa as she stared at him her arms crossed and her legs crossed and her foot twitching with her anger as she finally spoke.

Your job... your only job beyond the occasional assistance with a camera bag is to get me safely into and out of places that the government of this dear little country would prefer I not get access to... Is that clear. It is NOT in fact your job to think for me decide what is best or safest for me... Period... If I had wanted safe I would be working in my fathers ad agency... Got it?

With that she stood and walked off as all he could do for a moment was smile watching that irate little walk of hers as she headed to the balcony to cool off. He was soooo infuriating arrogant and possibly right but she could never admit that at least not to him.​
 
Ryan Dunne had traveled the world killing people. He first started in the military, where he eventually moved to Special Forces. After leaving the military he couldn't find a job that interested him, and he reconnected with some of his old military buddies. He turned into a mercenary. He fought for money, and he was good at it. He did not take just anyone's money though. He had morals. His character was strong.

He kept getting this gig with the photographer. She was a bitch. She thought she was invincible. If she wasn't so beautiful, he probably would have stopped taking any assignments with her. He often thought of the things he would like to do with her. He knew, however that it would never happen. She would never lower herself to his level. She came from money, and, although she rebelled against daddy's money, she was from a different class than he was.

He listened to her rant and his blood boiled. Who the fuck did she think she was? Carry her bag? He watched her walk out onto the balcony. At first he was going to just let it go, but......

"Assist you with a camera bag? You have to b e out of your mind. I am not your personal assistant. Yes, I will keep you safe, but I will do it my way. If you don't like that you can find someone else. In fact, if you want, I can have someone here to take my place pretty quickly. If you don't like the way I do my job don't hire me anymore. There are plenty of guys out there that will carry your bag and do exactly what you want. I am here to keep your safe and nothing else... It will be done my way."

He walked off the balcony. Then he turned to her, "let me know your decision. It will only take about 10 hours to get a replacement here for me. I am usurer you would like the way he helps with your camera bag."
 
He had helped her with the camera bag before this trip this infernal assignment with all its having to hide and sneak and endure the sickeningly syrupy sweet ass kissing and attempts at redirecting the local soldiers of the invading oppressors did. She knew that many of her fellow journalists have been detained and sometimes never seen again in this area but still she had to reveal both the fluff cover story and the true exposing story she was really here for.

For some reason her employer had gotten a hold of Ryan for this mission too. Even after she had given them the names of others that could have helped her better. Why did they go for him instead of more "local" looking protection. What twisted demon was fate to keep putting this infuriating... stubborn... arrogant... Attractive... NO! No thinking like that again she mentally hissed at herself.

I did not hire you this time... In fact I gave them the names of 5 far better qualified for this region names to choose from yet here you are... Why is that Ryan... did you set this up?
 
He was starting to regret having taken this assignment. When the publishers had called him they said that he had been personally requested by her. When he told them he wasn't interested, they offered to double his normal fee. When he said no again, they offered to triple it. They insisted that he was the only one who made her feel safe. Now it was obvious that he was the only one that the publishers felt safe with taking care of her.

He stopped, turned around and looked at her. He smiled at her. "Give me the five names. I will have on of them here in no time. They obviously didn't feel comfortable with others protecting you. They told me that you had requested me. When I said no, they agreed to pay me three times my normal fee. They no just how good I am. You can try to insult me, but you know too just how good I am. Now, give me the five names and I will get any one of them down here in time for you to go on your next excursion...... Hopefully it won't be your last."

He glared at her waiting for the names. He would be more than happy to call anyone in order to get out of this assignment. The conflicts were too great, and they put both of them in danger. He was having trouble keeping his feelings for her from interfering with his job.
 
She rattled off the names of the five hired guns that in all honesty would have fit in better in the local populous. She was fairly certain she was going to have to rip someone a ass when she got back home for this and figure out why they did this.

So which one of them are you going to get here... Hmmm though you leave they will not pay you... you know how that company can be...

She stared at him waiting to see who he chose or what his reaction was to the local muscle she had listed off.
 
"Is that the order that you would prefer them? If so, I will start with the first one and go down from there. I will give them your itinerary and tell them when you need them."

He started to get really pissed when she mentioned the money. "I am not worried about not getting paid. I will be working somewhere tomorrow, and it will be for someone who knows that I am the best person to keep them safe.....even if it means they have to do some things that they don't want to do."

"Oh, by the way, fitting in with the local population does not necessarily keep you safe, but I know that it is important to you. I will have someone here for you shortly."
 
I know what it is... You are afraid of this place... whats wrong Ryan... made a few enemies around here? You have never wanted to end an assignment from my employers so badly since we first met...

She smirked stifling a laugh as her suspicions about him began to surface. Maybe it was seeing that sharp glint in his eyes and wondering what else brought that look out in him. Damn these aggravating thoughts about him... why did they keep cropping up? There was no chance for them to ever happen he clearly hated her too much and he annoyed her far too much for anything to work between them... For crying out loud he was cut from the same pattern of those she sought to expose and help destroy... the evil wrongs in the world even if he did have morals and agreed with her on many of the people she exposed he was in basic form just like them.
 
"Maybe your smart ass comments have an effect on the other people that you deal with, but by now you should know better than that with me. There is nothing here I fear. In fact, I haven't found anything yet that I fear. It is what makes me so good at my job. It is also what makes you want someone else. I do not try to make friends with the locals. I treat them all like the enemy, because it only takes one to cause you, and me harm."

He turned and walked away from her. He had to stop taking assignments with her. When he was with her, the thoughts he had distracted him, and put them both at risk of being harmed... Or worse. He went and made several phone calls, and soon had a replacement for himself.

He returned to the balcony. "Johan will be here in about ten hours. I will stay until he arrives, and then I will be taking off for my next assignment. I am sure Johan will take good care of you. He knows all of the locals, and there is no way that he would sell you out to them."
 
Fine... run. You can't treat the people I am here helping as the enemy... just because they used that kid against us in Tanzania and you couldn't save him too does not mean that even those that are suffering and oppressed are the enemy Ryan... but you go ahead and run.

She knew bringing up the sweet little boy who acted so big and wanted to help him protect her and looked up to Ryan... They could not have known he was an escapee from the warlords "slave army" of orpahns. Nor did she think that Ryan knew that she attended the warlord general's execution when she was supposed to be in town preparing to leave.
 
"Nice parting shot. Typical of you. Sometimes I wish they had caught you when you snuck away to watch the execution. I wish I wasn't so good and didn't see the trap that they had set for you. That is okay though. I would not expect you to take they high road."

Her comments about the boy enraged him. At least three times a week he awoke in a sweat from nightmares about the boy, and each one was the same....... Ryan was unable to save the boy...... A boy that he had become more attached to than no one in life.

"Don't worry. Our paths will not cross again. I will not take anymore assignments with you. I will not allow them to mislead me or overpay me to work with you. Johan will be here in time for you to head out tomorrow. In the mean time I will do whatever is needed."
 
Well then...

She glanced around seeing the military had cleared from the normally quiet square and she looked to him.

I am going to that ancient temple... I am goin to talk to the monks and I am going... Now. They don't think I know that those were not the real monks... now I meet the real ones. Cause the ones that "never" leave their temple home just left in uniforms in the troop transports. Lets go get the real answers now.

Pushing off the railing she walked back into the suite and smirked she always had a scrambler running in foreign regions like this where the invading government would obviously bug international guests rooms out of fear..
 
Ryan watched as she walked back into the suite. He knew better than to try to change her mind. He went to his room and he got his weapons. He knew that if her information was accurate there could be a lot of trouble.

He followed her out of the suite. He did not say anything....nor did she. This was going to be a long day, and he would have to be on his game. The threats could come from anywhere. Ryan was ready for whatever was out there.

When they arrived at the temple he scanned the area. He didn't see any immediate threats, but that did not allow him to relax. He followed her to the entryway. His eyes moving back and forth....up and down. He knew they were being watched. He continued to do a threat assessment as she made contact.
 
She bowed as the old priest she met several years ago approached them. They spoke briefly before he noticed her guard looking around.

It is alright warrior friend... any eyes here now are orphans and refugees. Many of them are more afraid of you then you are worried about them. You were not here with her before so they do not know you... the feast can change that if you will both promise to stay and join us for the evening meal and celebration of peace.

She nodded with a smile.

We would love to stay and I still would love a picture of the ancient statue... perhaps with everyone enjoying the feast around it... to show the contrast of hope where most would think there is none.
 
Ryan nodded as the priest approached them. He trusted the old man, but did not trust everyone around them. He kept looking around, but he acknowledged what the priest said to him.

Just great, he thought. She was agreeing to put herself, and with that him, right in the middle of a large group of people. If there was a threat, it would be able to approach from any direction. This was what made her so effective in what she does. It also was what made his job so difficult. She refused to acknowledge any danger. She saw only the good in the people that she trusted, and did not see the bad in the people that could be around her.

Ryan bowed as he entered behind her. He was always respectful of local customs, even when being suspicious of those who were in the vicinity. He was going to have a very busy last night working with her.
 
The feast began a couple of hours after they got there giving her plenty of time to interview everyone getting the their stories... the truth of the refugees and the orphans. She had also brought candy for the children and the others that wanted some. It wasn't much but she had also brought in medical supplies as well hidden in the several packs she brought with her. Once everything was set up and ready for the feast in the sacred courtyard some of the children ran to get both of them and guide them through the mountain tunnels well hidden in the walls till they came to the sacred courtyard with the waterfall and the ancient statue. Some of the children were scared of him but some walked up poking at him and almost studying him watching him around her as if making sure she was safe with him.

Many of the older refugees huddled near them asking all sorts of questions about why he traveled with her and how she was so fearless and willing to help them. One old lady just watched them and smiled till the meal was nearly over then shooing everyone away from them she sat down between them and taking one of their hands into hers then placing their hands together she just smiled and pat both of their cheeks and hobbled away.
 
Ryan didn't relax. He knew that she was comfortable with the people, and that she had no fear of anything happening here, but he knew better. She was not safe, and he was determined to make sure nothing happened on his watch.

Something told him that he should be okay with all of the kids poking him, and all of the people asking questions and talking to them. He wasn't. Ryan was convinced that this was a diversion. There was something that he would miss if he allowed his attention to be diverted.

Despite his concerns, he was amazed by the tunnels into the mountains and the sacred courtyard. It was awe-inspiring. The meal was great, but he still wasn't relaxed. Then the woman chased everyone away from them. After she left, Ryan looked at their hands and then looked at her.
 
She knew better than to recoil her hand away while the old woman was there but once she walked away She tried to pull her hand away.

Forgive her she wishes everyone to be happy and together... you are a bodyguard and protector and apparently I am like a daughter so this is her way of stating approval.
 
He decided to play with her a little and held onto her hand and smiled at her. " so, did she just offer her daughter's hand to me? Did something just happen that means we are bound together or something?"

He was anxious to see her reaction. He was certain that she would get upset and get all bossy...... probably continuing to belittle him for being a bodyguard, or saying something about his ineffectiveness. He wasn't happy to be in this situation, but he decided to make the most of it.
 
Last edited:
According to her we act like an old married couple so why not.

She stared at her hand in his for a moment then pulled away and went back about her business
 
Ryan watched her pull her hand away and refocused himself on his task. He could not allow himself to spend too much time unfocused on his charge...... Protecting her.

Everyone here was a potential threat. Whenever anyone approached her he became uneasy and went on high alert. He would step closer to her and move his hand into a position where he could push her to safety while neutralizing the target.

Deep down, however, he had to admit that he liked being this close to her. She was extremely beautiful and incredibly sexy. He thought about her often, and the things that he would like to do with her and to her. He was pretty sure those feelings were one-sided, but one could always dream.
 
It was in the wee hours of the morning before the troops woke to begin moving and all of that as she took off from the monastery. Heading back for the suite to appear as if she had been there all night.
 
It had been a long night. Ryan followed her back to the suite. He was happy that nothing had happened. It had been a nerve-wracking night with all of the people around.

Ryan knew that spending that much time there would bring a reaction from some undesirables. This meant that his job would be more dangerous.... at least until his replacement arrived.
 
She went to her room to get cleaned up and get some sleep but her mind kept going back to the old woman's words and his seeming disdain for being around her and sighed... what could the old woman possibly see in his attitude that would make her think they should be together... and why would she even consider it.
 
When Ryan returned to his room he checked his phone and saw that he had a voicemail. He never took his phone with him. He was always afraid it would distract him from what he was doing. He checked the voicemail. It was from Johan. He was delayed 24 hours.

Ryan was extremely pissed off. If Johan was going to be a day late he MIT as well not come. Ryan couldn't tell him that though. She would get all huffy if she found out that he had told Johan to stay away.

He went to her room and knocked on the door. When she came to the door he said to her, " it looks like you are stuck with me for another day. Johan left me a message that he was delayed. I know you want to get rid of me, but, at the moment, your choice is me or nobody."
 
That's fine... whatever.

She watched him with a shrug she really didn't care her true assignment was nearly over.

So basically a different escort home... fine
 
Back
Top