A Different Kind of Adventure - IC Thread

Anna didn't remember the accident, really. There was a feeling of spinning, spiraling out of control, a white-hot flash of pain that seemed to envelope her whole body, and then . . . she was standing in front of this strange woman.

Her eyes wavered a bit between the woman, and the images she had given them, and the still forms on the ground. This was . . . unreal. Weren't they supposed to be seeing a tunnel and light? Not this sort of bargain set-up, and an offer to having the whole thing reversed.

But she didn't want to die, and it was hard to ignore the idea of what the woman was showing them. People dying, homes burned and land despoiled. This was high fantasy, the kind of thing that heroes took care of. This was the kind of thing that no feeling person would be able to stand aside from. She'd spent enough time in martial arts to know that there was a duty the strong owed to the weak. And if this woman could help them aid the people here . . . .

"I'll take your offer, ma'am. I'll fight against the evil in this world."
 
Watching each of the people before her deciding on their fates, the Goddess felt a pull from her own realm but ignored it for a brief moment. She had to finish here, before she was called back. In her world, she fought beside her men, unable to banish evil with powers that she once found absolute and unquestionable. How the centuries, the millennia, had changed her foothold within the world.

Each character had their own fears, and reasons for choosing to accept her offer, but only a few seemed to fully think out their decisions. It wouldn't matter, she didn't have the time available to council each one of them personally. For now the fact that they were willing to take the chance was enough.

Chuckling when Sherman spoke of his form, she smiled lovingly. "My dear Sherman, your form is no longer yours, as your new form is no longer its old owners."

She was sure her words would confuse him, and her own delight in adding some light hearted joking to the situation showed how happy she really was.

"There were heroes before you, that have fought for decades by my side, but recently they have fallen to their injuries. Like you, their souls left their bodies, but unlike you, they had no vessel to be transferred into. You will replace my oldest friends on the battlefield...and become my newest of friends."

The mist swirled around them, and seemed to become lighter, and the Goddess looked surprised. "I have to go now, please forgive me for not explaining further, I will see you when you awaken."

And without any more said, her form vanished, you might have had a couple of minutes to look upon your bodies once more before the room swirled and churned and started to evaporate around you. It would feel as though you had been thrown into a washing machine, spun around and around, then you are thrown onto a spiral slide that seems surrounded by bright lights, but yet floating in nothingness at the same time.

Disorientation, that was what it was.

Soon you would feel nothing, but when you awake, the first flickers of your eyelids would show a shadowy dark room, a single candle the only light to illuminate your surroundings. It looks like a make shift tent, with several beds lining the walls. On each bed lies a figure, but you cannot see clearly who they are. From the drapes that cover the tent walls a cold winter breeze enters, rousing you from your sleep.

Welcome to Rattleborn, the Goddess' stronghold within the Lands of Tarrith'san.

If any of you were to exit the tents before the Goddess arrives, you would find yourself on the lower tier of Rattleborn, near the outer walls. Somewhere nearby you can hear military sorts yelling orders, but for the moment all seems calm. Smoke rises from the horizon, and you get a feeling of anticipation and dread. For someone not skilled in war, this would be fear.

[[Image updated - I'll include images of your characters soon]]
 

Attachments

  • WinterfellArt.jpg
    WinterfellArt.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35
  • LilaChase.gz.jpg
    LilaChase.gz.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Sherman Nord

She knew his name? How on earth? Then a hurried explanation followed and his whole world spun out of control. He awoke, feeling disorientated and very much lost, he groaned and stretched out, something did not feel right. Here he thought that he was waking up from a bad dream, he sat up and looked around, his eyes slowly starting to draw things into focus. It felt like waking up from that cocussion hit he took once. He looked around and shook his head.

"Clearly we are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy."

He raised a hand to his face and found it bandaged, he noticed heavy bandages around his chest and a stabbing pain when he breathed. His legs, arms, middle and torso was swathed in bandages. The only part of him that was not bandaged seemed to be his face and left arm, his left arm carried a very intricate tribal tatoo, it's lines marred by heavy scars. This was not his body. He felt his skin crawl, but then again it was not even his skin.

"Well fuck a duck, this is weird."
 
Last edited:
[[Updated Character Forms]]

- Thanks to only being able to show 5 files, please see above post for last couple -
 

Attachments

  • ShermanNord.gz.jpg
    ShermanNord.gz.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DannyJackson.gz.jpg
    DannyJackson.gz.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Dane Laudrup.jpg
    Dane Laudrup.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 25
  • EliseTurner.gz.jpg
    EliseTurner.gz.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 26
  • AnnaJohnson.jpg
    AnnaJohnson.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 29
Danny opened his eyes, the sudden light making him squint. he looked around, and saw a giant man laying next to him, already awoke. Faring for his life, he scooted against the wall, raising his arms. "Don't came near me, you monster!" he shouted, but than he looked at his arms. They were scaly, and coverd in armor! He looked down pon himself, and saw his body was covered in scales! He was bulky, and had claws for hands and feet. He sighed, confused, and than fire came frm his breath. ScAred, He scooted back again, hitting himself against the wall. He felt a sharp pain in his back, and put his hand there. He felt an arrow had gone through a chink in his armor, and it had been pulled out. It had also been bandaged, but it hadn't quite healed. He looked at the giant man near him, and spoke to him. "Who are you?" he asked him.
 
Sherman Nord

When one of the forms stirred and cried out in alarm he grunted,

"Monster? Look at yourself big guy. You're no beauty yourself."

Flame erupted from the other,

"I'm Sherman Nord and I do not take kindly to people blowing flames in my direction."

He slipped from his bunk, ready to get it on, but he had to sit down again just as quickly. He was hurt. Bad.
 
Dane leaned against the wall, wondering when Sherman would realize it was just some minor wounds. He was a big man and could handle a few nicks and scrapes. Dane just shook his head and pulled his cloak more tightly around his shoulders, sinking back into the hood. He had already checked his arsenal, and found that it fit his skills perfectly. He moved much more lithely and gracefully, so figured he was a lot more agile, yet smaller, although he felt stronger. Dane waited patiently as everyone else got used to their new form.
 
Danny heard Serman's retort, and puffed some more flames. "It's me Sherman, Danny. Apparently, those foms she talked about weren't quite human." he said. He looked as everyone else began shifting the blankets. He saw two three woman, probably Eise, Anna, and Lila, but he didn't see Dane's new ody. "Hey, Sherman, did you see Dane in his new body? He's not here."
 
Dane stepped out of the shadows, right behind Danny as he tapped him on the shoulder, quickly moving to avoid the flames.

"Let's try not to burn each other, shall we?" Dane said, hearing his voice for the first time. It was surprisingly melodic, yet still deep.
 
Danny felt Dane tap his shoulder, but he hadn teen there two seconds ago. He whipped around, and accidentally blew flames again. Haring Dane's retort, he huffed, semi controlling the flames. "Well, it's not as easy as it looks. So, what are we guys? I'm obviously half dragon, but you two, I can't tell. And what about the girls? What are they? Haven't seen them up yet." he asked them.
 
Anna felt . . . heavier, as the mist cleared around them. It wasn't unbearable, since her muscles seemed to have gotten stronger at the same time. She looked around the . . . tent? . . . they were in and shook her head. This wasn't quite what she'd imagined.

Her head hurt, and she put a hand to it gently. Instead of feeling her long hair, there was . . . less. She sat up, to the sound of rattling armor, and found herself with one arm encumbered by a shield. The woman hadn't been lying when she'd said they were the bodies of other people. Anna had a pretty good idea of what she looked like, and this wasn't it.

As she heard a voice that identified itself as Danny ask where the girls were, she sighed, and said, "We're over here." She could dimly see the other two girls lying near her, or at least female figures lying there. "It's Anna, and I think I'm still pretty human?" She pushed up from the bed she'd been stretched out on and stood, feeling a little disoriented - her new body was a little taller than she'd been, and it felt odd. "I'm also wearing armor and carrying a shield. This is messed up, guys."
 
Dane shook his head then looked at Anna.

"You appear to be the paladin, or shieldbasher of the group," he said, calmly back in the shadows.
 
Anna's head whipped around. Dane was over there, and he was taking this a lot more calmly than she'd have thought. "Clearly," she said, her voice dry. "It's a shame that, while this body may know what to do, I haven't a clue. I can fight, but I've never used a sword or shield before."

She pursed her lips thoughtfully. "It'll be interesting. I know I've got some muscle memory here, but it should be fascinating to see how it and my conscious impulses work together." Anna blinked now. "Er, that was a little more academic than I wanted it to be. But you seem to be adjusting fine, Dane."
 
"From the weaponry I have, and the body style I am in, I guess I'm the ranger/fringe fighting type, which I'm used to from my dad's military training and his lifestyle. Who knew all the shit I put up with from him would one day pay off," Dane said acerbically.

Dane looked at Anna, then smiled.

"Can I make a suggestion?" he asked genuinely.
 
Anna tossed her head, feeling short hair flutter around her face as she did so. That was stranger than the rest of it - she hated how she looked with short hair . . . except that she didn't look like her anymore. Huh.

She shrugged as well as should could in plate, smiling back at him. "Sure, go for it."
 
"Use the shield as a shield, but also as an offensive weapon. If someone is against it, shove them back, then hit them with your sword or lance, or whatever you want to use. The armor will stop most attacks from doing any real damage," Dane said, after checking over her gear quickly with a glance.
 
Sherman Nord

"You guys seem to know a lot more about this stuff than I do."

He coughed heavily, turning his away to spit blood out of his mouth.

"With muscle memory intact we have to assume that these bodies belonged to warriors at the apex of their fields. We will need to train and get our minds to accept and adjust to the new skills we have."

He noticed that blood was seeping through his bandages,

"Looking at you guys it seems like I got trampled by a herd of elephants and got chewed on by a T-Rex."
 
((I apologize for the wall of text, but I'm hoping to give you insight into the situation without having to take forever. Do not in any way feel obliged to replicate this post length. I'll eventually bring in some combat NPC's that were heroes before you that haven't died in battle, to help in training. Call it rapid gaining of skill so you can begin developing your Champion.))

The flaps of the tent moved aside, and a woman of smaller stature than they had previously met during their limbo state stepped in. The sounds of people milling around outside was ushered in as she entered. The scent of smoke and bad blood was upon her, and even the bags of herbs and flowers that adorned her belt couldn't hide the smell completely.

This was simply a fact of life for a cleric on this battlefield.

"We call them Rittlicks, they are one of the minon's of the Overlord Mathus. Our enemy. But Derek, the old bodies soul, took out enough for us to close the outer gates." She spoke as if
proud, but also sad of the teams loss.

The woman carried many symbols around her neck and waist, and a wooden staff, and all those nearby would feel at ease just by her presence. At the top of the staff, a crescent moon held a large sapphire. Usually clerics would wear their deities symbols for strength, however she wore her own, a way of trying to reclaim some faith from her followers. She hoped they would see hands on healing, with what strength she had left, and believe she was more than just a mere mortal. That she truly was a goddess. That they would not give up hope.

That was why she continued to fight with the people who still had good hearts.

Beneath a hooded set of robes, the colours of blue and white, purity and innocence, a white haired woman with brilliantly blue eyes looked up. The light that illuminated her face showing that she was pleased to see everyone again.

"Please, take your time and rest, we have much to discuss." She held her hands up, her fingernails stained with blood from many weeks of tending wounded. Something that Lila Chase, the new cleric for the group would realize soon.

"I have requested that food be brought, water and tea for those who are thirsty, until then, I feel that you probably have many questions. Make yourselves comfortable, I would prefer to help you realize your new lives before weight is added to your shoulders. Outside of this tent, there are responsibilities that I wish nobody to have, but that is one wish I cannot grant."

Moving over quite gracefully, she put a hand on Sherman's good shoulder and indicated for him to lie down so she could heal him again. Her initial healing hadn't been enough to allow him free movement around Rattleborn. She indicated for the others to make themselves at home.

By now the other two women had regained groggy consciousness. ((Just so the goddess isn't ignoring them, lol))

"I am Carrithnah but I accept the mortal name Cara. I am now not much more than a mortal, but once upon a time I was much more powerful."

As Sherman took his place, she started looking under his bandages, with an efficiency that showed her skill in healing. But soon she was shaking her head. Holding her hands over the area, she began to concentrate, but could continue to talk whilst she worked. Soon a soft glow radiated from her palms, and the slow process of healing continued.

"Throughout the millennia people of this land stopped believing that it was my presence in the world that held the harshest of winters at bay, and the crops in good health, and the people relatively free from the evils that I had fought against for eternity. And its from their faith and belief that I gain power. And over the years, the winters are getting worse, plague and drought have decimated this lands crops, and those people who wished ill on good people have become powerful."

Looking around the group, she smiled. "You aren't the first people to transfer into those bodies."

The glow faded, and Cara checked over the wounds before giving Sherman a nod.

Turning, she stood up again and smiled as she saw Dave.

"The person before you, Dave, was Bromil, and before him was Ilex. Bromil was in full adulthood when he passed away, so your new body is probably 200 years old. And Ilex was nearing 100 years when he died. He was no more than a youngling when he started fighting beside me. That was a couple of hundred years ago, and his body is a fine specimen of adult strength and skill now."

Shaking her head and waving her arms in a silly fashion, she chuckled. "But I'll stop with all the facts, please, ask me any questions whilst I tend to your wounds. Is anyone else in need of healing?"

The tent flap was pushed aside and several women that looked like clerics, or followers of Carrithnah brought trays of food inside. Placing it on a table, the food continued to be brought, until there was a range of bread, meats, and roasted vegetables for everyone. Jugs of wine, tea and water were placed on tables, soon the women left the Goddess alone with her Champions.
 
Last edited:
Sherman Nord

The soft glow made him itch, but he listened to what Carrithna had to say, so his new body was basically a vessel, souls passing through it and through that giving it experience beyond the normal scope of what it could achieve. Sounded interesting, as she finished, he smelled food and immediately his mouth watered. He sat up and got to his feet, grabbinf a loaf of bread.

"So basically you're a goddess who is losing power through sheer lack of followers."

He smiled and undid one bloody bandage, revealing the fresh scar where there was a deep cut before.

"If it will ever mean anything you have just made a believer out of me,"

He placed his bandaged fist over his heart and lowered his head,

"I pledge my complete loyalty to your cause, if I survive this you can be sure that I will always believe in you."

He then sat down and started to devour the bread.
 
Danny heard the Goddess's words, and when Sherman began devouring his food, as usual, he stepped forward. "And what about me? I look like a monster. What am I?" he asked her. His armor was on tightly, and and his shield was quite heavy. He set it down, feeling better with that weight off him. He waited for an answer to his question, flames blowing out during his breaths.
 
Dane grabbed a few small things to eat, then leaned back against the tentpost he had been leaning against earlier.

"I think my biggest questions are what your expectations for us are, and what we are known be in your world," Dane said, munching on the food and drinking tea.
 
The Goddess walked over and stood near Danny, examining him for any wounds that might need treating, but apart from his armor having taken a good pummelling, he was in decent health. She smiled at his questions, her watch over his old world telling her how magical creatures had faded, just like she was.

"Do not fear, you are a well liked and good hearted fighter, a basic instinct is one of honor and loyalty. This body was born only twenty years ago, its a flame that burns brightly, but for a shorter amount of time. You are the only other soul to inhabit your body. Braxis, the soul before you was quicker than others at picking up skills, as is the Dragonborn's way."

Picking up a bundle of grapes from off the table, Cara slowly ate.

"Once you grow used to your new eyes, you'll see much more detail in low light, but you also need to watch out in battle, because your inner rage can be unleashed if you are wounded significantly."

Smiling as another puff of fire exited Danny's mouth, she thought it imperative to explain that side of him.

"You can breath fire, for 30 foot in a straight line once you learn to harness those glands you now have. It's most useful on a battlefield, as I've witnessed, at blocking bottlenecks, causing fear and disarray, and mild damage."

Walking to stand near Dane, she nodded at the importance of his question.

"A good question, and one I will attempt to answer for each of you. Dane, you escaped the Underdark many years ago and have been working with me ever since. Not all drow, which is your race, are evil, but most are. You may feel proud and powerful, superior and have a drive to always be better, to gain more standing, more power. This is a racial drive you possess, and it can be your worst enemy if you let it rise up. You lack the memories that Rithnar, the past soul, and Tan, the one before that, had. Rithnar grew up amongst a matriarchal world, where men were lesser of the two genders. Physical punishments were rife, and death often waited for males that spoke out, or harmed a female, or even disrespected one. Tan, was captured after Rithnar had escaped their custody, and witnessed their punishments first hand. Your body has many scars, few are from actual battles beside me."

"I'll wait for the others to wake before explaining your purpose here."
 
Anna sat down carefully, feeling her armor shift in a way she wasn't used to yet. Her body, however, automatically shifted to be most comfortable as she sat and began to eat. She swallowed a bit of food and nodded at the goddess. "That seems like a good idea, Cara. It feels," she said, pouring herself a cup of water, "strange referring to a goddess by her first name. Almost stranger than referring to a goddess at all."

The now-white-haired paladin shook her head. "I'm very curious about why these bodies - or the souls in them - have perished so many times. I mean," he face turned self-conscious, "isn't the idea that we get slapped into them and vanquish the ancient evil in a fortnight?" Anna barked a short laugh. "I suppose it's silly when you say it like that, isn't it? But that's how it works in books and movies, isn't it?"
 
Taking a seat on one of the now empty beds, Cara looked down at her hands and smiled. She liked the personality that Anna had, and it was one of the reasons she had tried so hard to save the group. Anna was a genuine good soul, and had seen enough in life to know why darkness should not be victorious. Looking up to watch the woman eating, she remembered a similar experience just a few days earlier, when Padma, the paladins' first and only soul had come to see her for guidance. The woman had been a proud and respected Champion for the Goddess for only seven years, but in that time she had managed to make a big impact.

"I wish it were so simple. And I am jealous of the Heroes in those books."

Taking a handful of fruit, she chewed on a grape for a little while, before giving them a run down of how the war began.

"To begin with, Mathus, the Overlord, had tricked the people of this land into believing he was a more suitable ruler than I. And I was banished to Rattleborn, the last bastion of faithful people in this land. Before that I served among the councillors of the King and Queen, who were beheaded just after Mathus took control of the Kingdom. Within a few years, the Overlord had shown his true colours, and had conscripted most of the young men from the land to serve in his Army. For a while we were not the target, and our peaceful neighbouring countries to the East and West fell under the weight of thousands of men.

For ten years he fought like a man would, but after suffering a vicious defeat he disappeared. We reclaimed the Kingdom, as did our neighbours, and I chose to place the son of the previous King on the throne to rule. Thirty years passed, and Overlord Mathus returned, but this time he brought with him an Army of creatures from the Underdark. Drow, Illithids, even the Duergar. Plus hundreds of mindless minions, animals bewitched by the Underdark's spells. Now we fight cursed men, slaves of all races, thousands of creatures who were raised to kill or be killed. They are ruthless, barbaric, and Mathus can only control the direction of their destruction. They are animals. As you will see. Until now city after city has fallen, and since we began this war, we have lost hundreds of thousands of souls to their cursed blades. You see, until the people of this land begin to believe in me again, we simply dance the same tune every battle."


Looking around to see some sullen looks, she tried to speak of lighter topics.

"But, if it is any consolation, my powers have grown over the past seventy years, so it is working. I can fight alongside you now, where before I could hardly move without assistance. Each victory we have, every person we save from death at the hands of the Overlords men, and I gain power in the form of a now believing man, woman or child. That is what I fight for. Not for territory, not for strategic points, but for hearts. Save a heart, and I gain a heart."
 
Sherman Nord

"Fear and love."

He realized that he hd spoken aloud as his food was finished, he picked up some apples and before he ate, he decided to explain himself.

"If you strike fear into your enemies, they will believe in you. If you save a life, they will believe in you. Show mercy when needed and fear will give way to wonder and from there it goes to love."

He still wasn't used to the deep gravelly voice of his new body, he ate the fruit in silence
 
Back
Top