What are you reading at the moment?

I'm reading Jack & Jill and its taking me forever. Its my beach book and I'm so easily distracted.

I always have a stack of books piled beside my bed, but at the moment I'm re-reading Stephen King's, IT.

The novel is way too long, filled with mind-numbing filler material, and punctuated with incredible first rate horror. My favorite part is where the fag, Adrian, is devoured by the clown under the bridge.

It coulda been a masterpiece with plenty of honest editing.

Then I jumped to a book about psychic vampires who feed off your astral energy to postpone their astral deaths. They come around between 3-5 every morning for a BIG GULP.

The Dragons of Pern by Anne McCafferey

A very pleasant, light, read by a skilled story-teller.

I love the Dragonriders series. My favorite character is Robinton. Have you read the Pegasus series? I enjoy that one a lot, too.

The Death of Ivan Illych and Other Stories by ol' Tolstoy. I got a literature degree and purposely avoided Tolstoy and now here I am reading it. But only because my hot John-Mayer-look-alike neighbor gave it to me and said he wants to "discuss it with me" when I'm done. My neighbor is thinking about becoming a priest...anyone see fantasy material here? ;)

P.S. Tolstoy is too damn preachy. He can go wag his literary beard in hell, as far as I'm concerned.

The Death of Ivan Illych and Other Stories by ol' Tolstoy. I got a literature degree and purposely avoided Tolstoy and now here I am reading it. But only because my hot John-Mayer-look-alike neighbor gave it to me and said he wants to "discuss it with me" when I'm done. My neighbor is thinking about becoming a priest...anyone see fantasy material here? ;)

P.S. Tolstoy is too damn preachy. He can go wag his literary beard in hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Then read WAR & PEACE instead.

I am reading A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey. It is an autobiographical saga of his time in rehab. I had stumbled onto the sequal MY FRIEND LEONARD a few months ago and loved it. These books are raw emotion as he remembers his experience. I love this authors grit and honesty. Both are "Must reads" if you havent checked them out yet.

I am reading A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey. It is an autobiographical saga of his time in rehab. I had stumbled onto the sequal MY FRIEND LEONARD a few months ago and loved it. These books are raw emotion as he remembers his experience. I love this authors grit and honesty. Both are "Must reads" if you havent checked them out yet.

I hate to burst your bubble but A Million Little Pieces has been confirmed of containing many false hoods. A good read, but not nearly the truth.

Serious questions have also been raised about My Friend Leonard but I have never read confirmation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/books/12frey.html?_r=1&ref=james_frey

Reading Curse of the Spider King by Wayne Thomas Batson and Christopher Hopper

Barbara Tuchman. A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. A bit florid, she is, but still an enjoyable read.

About halfway through Got a Minute?: Sixty-Second Erotica, edited by Alison Tyler. I'm beginning to think she's one of the best erotica editors out there - I really love the stuff that she curates!

Buenas Noches Luna by margaret Wise Brown :D

and something else I can't admit :eek::eek:

and This Time Next Week by Leslie Thomas. Been working off and on on this small book all summer, but even so, it's a lovely memoir of a British orphan during WWII.

Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow by James Rollins.

One of my favourite adult writers doing his first kid's book. A fun light read.

'Life Expectancy' by Dean Koontz.

(P.S. about the James Frey thing.. I am offended at Oprah for being offended that he's a liar.
As a daughter of a drug addict, I can say two things with all certainty.
1.) Drug addicts never tell the truth.
2.) If they do tell a smidgen of the truth, they embellish it.
I thought it was an awesome book.. but I didn't start it thinking it would be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but.
I'm perplexed Oprah was that not smart. :D
I also didn't know there was a sequel!!)

I'm still plodding through Elizabeth George's What He Did Before He Shot Her, and I'll be glad as hell when the torment is over. Thoroughly depressing.

I'm still plodding through Elizabeth George's What He Did Before He Shot Her, and I'll be glad as hell when the torment is over. Thoroughly depressing.

pilot, why keep reading it then? I don't think I would care to read something like that. I don't necessarily need rainbows and butterflies, and an ending where they ride into the sunset and live happily ever after... but I doubt I would finish something so depressing. is it something you have to keep reading?

"Truth" by an Australian author and I can only understand about half of what he says. A dense crime novel that is mostly dialog, but I shall persevere and then read a sparse Robert Parker for dessert.

"Truth" by an Australian author and I can only understand about half of what he says. A dense crime novel that is mostly dialog, but I shall persevere and then read a sparse Robert Parker for dessert.

very ambitious, jo.

pilot, why keep reading it then? I don't think I would care to read something like that. I don't necessarily need rainbows and butterflies, and an ending where they ride into the sunset and live happily ever after... but I doubt I would finish something so depressing. is it something you have to keep reading?

Why, because my wife and I keep lists, and you aren't able to claim a book read unless you finish it, of course. And she's already ahead of me this year. Of couse. :D

(Oh, and besides that, my wife read it--all--and it's on her list, and she smugly said I probably wouldn't be able to get through it.)

Why, because my wife and I keep lists, and you aren't able to claim a book read unless you finish it, of course. And she's already ahead of me this year. Of couse. :D

(Oh, and besides that, my wife read it--all--and it's on her list, and she smugly said I probably wouldn't be able to get through it.)

:devil:

I think I like your wife. :D

:devil:

I think I like your wife. :D

I think I do too. She's upped the ante. She's started to read minor (really minor!) Charles Dickens tomes.

Of course I think the game slightly unfair--because I also write books, and she doesn't.

Back