The hot Arabic chick thread

I especially like the sparkly cow horns! :rolleyes:

One of the photos I didn't link to because it is poor definition has Mata Hari's head side on in a Cleopatra headdress. The front is a snake. The back looks like a stuffed rat.

Here it is:

mata-hari-7.jpg

Here's another nice Theda Bara from a peep show Og is putting on in Seldom Used Words.

tumblr_m1hs0la7ZF1rpz7emo1_1280.jpg

We call them Arabic numbers because we got the from the Arabs, but the decimal numbering system, with that all-important zero, came to the Arabs from the Indus Valley.

We do have to thank the Muslims for preserving much of Greek writings, including mathematics and science, and for some very useful technology, such as the vacuum pump and the windmill. Those latter were invented in Baghdad around 1200 CE, essentially to provide water for the 1.5 million inhabitants (as contrast, Paris was at about 100,000 at the time).

I read an interesting article about ten years ago, by a Muslim woman, on the relationship between Islam and science. She argued that the Muslim world was primarily interested in the practical, technological aspects of science, and largely dismissive of the intellectual bases of science itself. I'll try to refind it in my library for you.I

'll be looking for Scheherazade Goes West, and I'll send you some xocolotl mexica anyway.

Now, do I get some eye candy, too?

I've found it. It's actually an interview with Farida Faouzia Charfi and can be found in:

Gardels, Nathan (ed). 1997. The Changing Global Order: World Leaders Reflect. Oxford: Blackwell. Pp.33-39.

I've scanned it, so if anyone else would like it, send me a self-addressed stamped enveloe or an email, and I'll send you a copy.

A few good pictures I found, back when I had a story idea that involved women wearing nothing but niqabs... Niqab 5 is my absolute favorite of the bunch, personally.

Last edited:
I agree! Niqab5 can drive her camel up my sidewalk any time she wants.

Gosh, even bringing her own dowry along with her. That's the kind of arranged marriage you want to see.

I actually designed a prize-winning seminar on arranged marriages. The students always think this is a cruel awful idea. I have to say first, of course, that we're talking about arranged marriage not forced marriage - which is cruel and illiberal. I ask them what ways there are of meeting people, how did they meet boyfriends/girlfriends. Usually it's through friends, we talk about dating websites. I say, Is that so different to your Auntie, who knows you well, having a look round for someone who might be suitable for you?

There've been times in my own life I really wished someone would come along and say, I've got this person I'd like you to meet - no pressure, but I've known him/her since they were little, I know they're a good person. Check these piccies and if you're at all interested, we'll all go for coffee and cakes and you can get to know them a bit better.

:rose:

Gosh, even bringing her own dowry along with her. That's the kind of arranged marriage you want to see.

I actually designed a prize-winning seminar on arranged marriages. The students always think this is a cruel awful idea. I have to say first, of course, that we're talking about arranged marriage not forced marriage - which is cruel and illiberal. I ask them what ways there are of meeting people, how did they meet boyfriends/girlfriends. Usually it's through friends, we talk about dating websites. I say, Is that so different to your Auntie, who knows you well, having a look round for someone who might be suitable for you?

There've been times in my own life I really wished someone would come along and say, I've got this person I'd like you to meet - no pressure, but I've known him/her since they were little, I know they're a good person. Check these piccies and if you're at all interested, we'll all go for coffee and cakes and you can get to know them a bit better.

Ah. So last year I taught this chapter in intercultural communication that dealt with arranged marriages. It is kind of hard to make students understand the whole concept. They either flashback to an upper class Victorian sensibility or young girls being sold to old middle eastern men as soon as the words 'arranged marriage' escape your lips.

My experience of how it can be a comfortable thing was something so alien to them that I don't think they quite 'got' it.

Last edited:
Deleted discussion.
Move along there! Go back and admire the camel.

Last edited:
Final delete of totally fascinating conversation.
Go back to the lovely camel, now, guys.
:)

Last edited:
Back