How To

Elizabeth_Stark

Experienced
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Posts
84
Get hubby to stop snoring without using the dreaded pillow of doom
I am sort of at my wits end trying to figure out this one. Shaking doesn't seem to work.
Any tips from those who have had experience with these matters are much appreciated.
 
Get hubby to stop snoring without using the dreaded pillow of doom
I am sort of at my wits end trying to figure out this one. Shaking doesn't seem to work.
Any tips from those who have had experience with these matters are much appreciated.

The typical things:

Loose weight (him)
Don't drink before sleeping
Have him sleep on his side
You can try the various pillows out there - I tend to think they either work (for some) or not (for many)

You can try the breath right strips - they seem to work for some - they open up the nasal passages

Then there is the separate bedroom situation... far less drastic than the dreaded pillow of doom
 
Get it checked out with your doctor because snoring can put undue stress on the heart....really
 
By a sleep number bed with the hospital bed option, then when he is snoring you raise the head of the bed to a 45 degree angle and he stops.

Kind of expensive, but probably more comfortable than those pillows.

Of course the inexpensive way is the breathing strips.
 
Have a sleep study done.

My ex-husband's snoring was so bad you could hear it downstairs, on the opposite side of the house, with the bedroom door closed... it turned out he had sleep apnea that was so severe they woke him up 15 minutes into the sleep study and put a CPAP mask on him at 100% oxygen - and he stayed at a 100% oxygen level for the first 6 months he used the mask. It's been 10+ years, and as far as I know he still has to use the CPAP.
 
Snoring sucks, my ex used to snore horribly. I swear that I never got a full night's sleep when I was with him:(.

Is he consistently tired during the day? That could be an indicator of sleep apnea, something that really needs to be addressed. It might be a good idea to make an appointment with the family doc to figure out what's going on.

The ex definitely snored less when he slept on his side. If he slept on his back it was a 100 decibel snore fest all night long because he's quite a big guy. If your husband's a big man, losing some weight could help with the snoring.

As far as an emergency solution so you can sleep? A pair of soft foam earplugs might help.
 
Ta muchly. He isn't big. Short like me. Never noticed if he is fatigued during the day. Will make sure to keep an eye.
I do know he gets frequent sinus infections. Will try breath right strips and fan. I don't think it is apnea though.
 
Ta muchly. He isn't big. Short like me. Never noticed if he is fatigued during the day. Will make sure to keep an eye.
I do know he gets frequent sinus infections. Will try breath right strips and fan. I don't think it is apnea though.

Does he still have his tonsils and adenoids? Sounds like seeing an ENT doc might be a good choice, especially with his sinus infections.
 
The only perfect cure is divorce. On the assumption that you'd rather find a less invasive procedure, do look into getting him into a sleep study. Snoring isn't always caused by apnea, but if it is then the consequences are quite dangerous.

Until then, some good ear plugs and/or a spare bedroom in the next county might work.
 
I'd definitely check with a good ENT who deals with a lot of snoring issues. As others have said, it could be anything from sleep apnea to allergies. Excess weight and such are definitely apnea risk factors, but ANYONE can have it; in fact, my proportionate four-year-old son has moderate sleep apnea and has worn a CPAP for the past year - it's helped his mood and concentration quite a bit. My thin/proportionate husband almost certainly has sleep apnea as well, yet I'm overweight and I tested negative even though I snore due to chronic allergies and congestion. Seeing a doctor who specializes in ENT issues like snoring will probably save you from spending a bunch of time and money on stuff that may not address your husband's real issue.

IF it's a simple issue of congestion or mouth/tongue positioning, then nasal strips and/or a mouth-positioning device could be a simple solution. There are quick laser procedures for snoring as well that might be an option, depending on the root of the problem.
 
As mentioned, sleep affects personality too. My dad in particular is completely unbearable when his machine isn't working properly.

My apnea is moderate. After my sleep study I chose a dental appliance fitted by a specialist rather than a CPAP machine, I often go camping with my kids to places without electricity, so a CPAP wasn't the best choice for me. The appliance pulls my lower jaw forward, moving my tongue and creating a bigger airway. My wife says that I don't snore any more.

In addition to weight/etc, sleep problems can be hereditary. My dad and siblings use CPAP.
 
Try those nasal strips from the chemist. They work wonders on my fiance. If that doesn't work try lightly kicking him. Also don't let him drink alcohol before bed time.
 
My wife had a terrible problem (I know ... girls aren't supposed to snore) and we finally bought a mouth piece.

tumblr_inline_niwjmxGNSF1t9t0c8.jpg


She doesn't like to wear it all the time but if she snores loud enough to wake me up I just reach over and put it in her mouth and it's done! You don't even have to have a doctors prescription anymore. You can buy them on the open market. Highly recommended!
 
As a snorer, I've tried a few things.

I did try the jaw advancer device (a sleep pro, it was caused, I think). The basic version was a bit rough, but you can get a softer version which is moulded to the teeth which is much comfier. They caused no end of tooth pain and stiff jaw problems in the mornings.

I went on to try surgery on the cartilage in the nose (a turbinectomy) which did help somewhat, but the surgery recovery was horrific (had a nose bleed for about 2 weeks).

After that, I still snored (albeit less). I had a different procedure after that - a laser assisted uvulo palatoplasty. That basically took the uvula from the back of the throat and vapourised it with a co2 laser. Recovery was pretty quick. I now have a comedy throat which can cause laughter at parties - it looks a bit weird with a triangle cut up to the palate instead of an uvula dangling down. ;)

That did the trick. I still snore occasionally, but nowhere near as loud, and nowhere near as often.

Oh yes, eating late or drinking can still make it worse, so I tend to avoid those.
 
Last edited:
I, personally, vote for the pillow method to stop the snoring. It is quick, easy, and above all cheap.

1. Get pillow.
2. Place over partner's mouth, nose
3. Press down. Adjust pressure as needed
4. No more snoring.

Or you can pinch the nose.
 
I did try the jaw advancer device (a sleep pro, it was called, I think). They caused no end of tooth pain and stiff jaw problems in the mornings.

My appliance was custom built from molds of my teeth. While I don't have tooth pain, I do have to put up with about 30 minutes every morning where my bite doesn't line up quite right. It's usually not painful though, and I'm back to normal after eating breakfast.

My uncle went through the surgeries that you mention, and some others intended to help his breathing in general. He finally has decent results, but it took a lot of procedures and time. I can't afford all of that, and I'm reasonably happy with this appliance. My various relatives all love their CPAP machines though.
 
Go and see a doctor.

But also-try and find out what kind of snorer he is. I'm a tongue based snorer-I snore because my tongue slips down into my throat when I sleep. I snore in any position, sitting or lying down...I had a mouth piece that did help by advancing my jaw but like a previous poster, it caused my tooth and jaw pain. I'd like to be able to afford a custom made one because I live with the worst bed partner for a heavy snorer, a light sleeper, and it upsets me when we end up sleeping separately...but it also means that the surgery on offer, which I would have to pay for privately her, wouldn't work and would probably make my snoring worse...I've also been warned by the ENT consultant I saw that it's incredibly painful and unpleasant...

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/

This website has some useful information
 
I'd like to be able to afford a custom made one because I live with the worst bed partner for a heavy snorer, a light sleeper, and it upsets me when we end up sleeping separately.

I started down this road when my deductible was manageable. If I recall correctly the sleep study blew through that, after which the specialist and appliance were all covered. The billing code that is used makes a big difference. There are DMDs/OMSs who can do the same work, but they bill using dental codes and my insurance wouldn't pay for that. It had to be a medical doctor to be covered.

Although the cost is a downside, one advantage is that at my annual follow up I get hooked up to a breathing machine to be sure that I'm not just "not snoring" but am actually getting proper air flow. Snoring is one symptom of apnea, but not the underlying problem.
 
I started down this road when my deductible was manageable. If I recall correctly the sleep study blew through that, after which the specialist and appliance were all covered. The billing code that is used makes a big difference. There are DMDs/OMSs who can do the same work, but they bill using dental codes and my insurance wouldn't pay for that. It had to be a medical doctor to be covered.

Although the cost is a downside, one advantage is that at my annual follow up I get hooked up to a breathing machine to be sure that I'm not just "not snoring" but am actually getting proper air flow. Snoring is one symptom of apnea, but not the underlying problem.

I'm in the UK.
 
Have a sleep study done.

My ex-husband's snoring was so bad you could hear it downstairs, on the opposite side of the house, with the bedroom door closed... it turned out he had sleep apnea that was so severe they woke him up 15 minutes into the sleep study and put a CPAP mask on him at 100% oxygen - and he stayed at a 100% oxygen level for the first 6 months he used the mask. It's been 10+ years, and as far as I know he still has to use the CPAP.

Seconded. My partner used a mouthpiece, and it worked for a while (although not the most comfortable); now she uses a CPAP and both of us are better rested for it.
 
Back
Top