Ghost - PM me before posting

ChaseMePleez

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Posts
529
To be at the whim of society was the fate of every female born into nobility. Being in the right place at the right time and wearing exctly what the ton expected you to wear. Failure to conform result in being shunned by polite society, a fate that was welcomed by one Patricia 'Ghost' Waterson. She was the second daughter of Sir Edward Waterson during the year of 1843. Already seen as a bane because of her mother's death during childbirth, Ghost never was readily accepted by anyone. The worst of it was her old sister, the belle of the ball and society's darling.

Men came from everywhere to seek her hand in marriage. Leticia wasn't interested in becoming attached to any of these men. The girl was too vein and greedy, using their affection to squeeze expensive gifts from them. She was lovely though; blonde hair piled high on her head with curls drizzling down her face and a pair of crystal blue eyes. Leticia was the very picture of their father. She wouldn't even acknowledge Ghost as anyone but 'that thing that killed my mother'.Becoming so accustomed to being invisible, one of the servants had given her the nickname.

Often, Ghost spent her nights in the library, getting lost in the books her mother had left to her. Sometimes she would just study her mother's portrait that hung above the fireplace. The servants whispered that she was the very reincarnation of her mother. Her chestnut hair had red and blonde highlights that glistened in the sun. Her piercing gray eyes held an intelligence uncommon for a woman of her standing.

Tonight was no different than any other. Her father was hosting a birthday party for her sister and she had been instructed to stay in her room and not be seen. Those harsh words still stung her pride and made tears come to her eyes. "No. He's not going to do this to me again." She whispered harshly, trying to regain her own composure. Ghost had defied her 'jailer' and went to the library like she always did.

Picking up a copy of her favorite poetry she sat on the chaise next to the fireplace. Her father would have a royal fit if he saw her attire at the moment. Expected to be in bed, Ghost was in her shift with only her shawl to give her any modesty, her long brown hair falling about her shoulders. It was not a state in which she wanted to be caught but it wouldn't make things any worse for her but there would a little embarrassment if it was a man.

She had given little thought about men since she had come of age. Ghost was only two years younger than her sister at the age of 22. As a child she had had crushes on some of the boys she went to school with. When Leticia found this out, she would poison them against her. Her sister just couldn't stand someone liking her in any way. It had been a lonely existence but she knew nothing else. Losing herself in her thoughts, Ghost dropped the book she was reading. "Oh bugger!" Not a very ladylike way to speak but she cared very little for manners when she was alone.
 
Esther floated gracefully into the Watson estate. As she was the youngest in the Rockwells family, a young and vibrant 20, she was following behind the rest. The Rockwells tended to stir things up with the nobility, after all Edward Rockwells Sr was not born into the nobility. He was an American. It had sent many a tongue waggling when Count Horton married his oldest daughter to this jumped up American commoner. The fact that the afore mentioned “jumped up commoner” was extremely well connected on both sides of the Atlantic and had a more money than many a baron was of course an insignificant detail when it came to such a juicy topic for gossip. Of course, most wouldn’t say anything of the sort within earshot. One had to be polite.

To them, he was either a jumped-up American commoner…or someone who should have married their daughter and brought money into their family.

Esther followed her family made a bee line to greet their host and his darling daughter. The two girls exchanged properly gushing complements (fake) and radiant smiles (also fake). They had met a few times before; it was only natural with how close their fathers worked together. Letica disgusted Esther with the way she toyed with everyone around her, always seeking to extort something out of them. She in turn, was distained for her “dirty Yankee blood” and refusal to hover around her better as a good and proper crony.

As the party went on, the family dispersed, each doing their own thing. Father was wheeling and dealing, Mother was gossiping with old friends, her brother likely drinking with friends, while her sister was hanging around Letica, looking at stealing a suitor or two. Esther was bored by the few men who approached her, most were sons of poorer nobles who couldn’t afford to turn down a potential wealthy daughter-in-law, whatever her pedigree. All were either decidedly less educated than she, or were disturbed by the fact that a woman should know so much about economics and trade.

After a while, she went off to explore more of the estate, her little feet eventually taking her to the Waterson’s library. She wandered around, figuring out how the library was organized. While she would have preferred to grab a recent book on trade and economics, she instead hunted for the poetry section. It was doubtful she would have time to get through one of those long winded but mind stretching books, so off to the relaxing poetry instead.

Besides, it would be easier on any of the local stick-in-the-muds if they found her reading a “proper” book for a woman. She rolled her eyes at that thought.

*thump*

"Oh bugger!"

It seems she wasn’t the only lady looking for a book to pass the time with. Her curiosity was piqued. She made her way over to where she heard the woman.
 
Last edited:
Ghost hadn't expected company that night, which is why she was dressed in her nightclothes. Now that she had been caught in the library she was rather embarrassed. Once she got a good look at the female that was coming towards her, Ghost was transfixed by the beautiful eyes and red curls. The woman remind her of a porcelain doll that she had as a child.

What the woman would do now that she had discovered Ghost hiding in the library was a mystery. Ghost could imagine it was a tad surprising. Most normal people were either out socializing or were in bed at this hour instead of gallivanting around in their nightclothes. There was a mild fascination for her with this girl's eyes. Something about her seemed different than the usual society darlings that accosted her anytime she was seen in public. Those eyes seemed almost kind.

She made sure her to cover herself a little more in order to make herself more presentable. "Hello." Ghost sat back down and made a welcoming gesture. "If you're here for the same reason I am then I welcome the company. I seldom have anyone to talk to. Would you like to sit?" She seldom made herself known to to other people even rarer did she ask for company. Many a night had past where she was all alone.

It wasn't until that particular moment how much she wanted someone to talk to. "If you're looking something interesting to read, try the third shelf about here." She pointed for the girl. "It's where my mother placed all her controversial literature of the times. " Once the two of them were situated Ghost decided it might be prudent to introduce herself.

Nervously she cleared her throat and smiled softly. "My name is Patricia Waterson. You probably know my sister, Leticia and I do apologize in advance for anything she have said or done. People call me Ghost." Hopefully with introductions started the tension for her would be appeased and she could relax in her presence.
 
As she came around a bookshelf, Esther was surprised by what she saw. She saw a woman about her age in her nightclothes of all things! Then she noticed her gorgeous chestnut hair, which was not nearly as elaborate as one would expect at a party like this. And then there were those piercing grey eyes…seemingly as transfixed with her own as she had become with this woman’s.

There seemed to be something behind those eyes…was it loneliness?

The girl suddenly became aware of her state of dress, and quickly began try and adjust her shawl as much as possible to preserve more modesty. For some reason amused her, bringing a small smile to her face.

"Hello," the girls said, sitting back down, gesturing to a seat, "If you're here for the same reason I am then I welcome the company. I seldom have anyone to talk to. Would you like to sit?"

“Thank you,” she replied graciously as she took the offered place.

"If you're looking something interesting to read, try the third shelf about here," the unnamed woman pointed out for her, "It's where my mother placed all her controversial literature of the times."

Her mother? That must mean…No, that couldn’t be! Leticia was an only child. Wasn’t she? Her eyes widened as introduced herself as Patricia, Leticia’s sister. And that she was sorry for anything Leticia may have done. Well…she thought to herself…The girl doesn’t like Leticia, which was a big plus in Esther’s book.

Ghost? That was a most curious name.

“I’m Esther, Esther Rockwells,” she said pleasantly with a smile. “I wasn’t aware your father had another child…”

Then it clicked. Ghost.

“Ghost…because he keeps you hidden? Out of sight… and out of the way of a certain stuck-up blonde?” her voice noticeably cooling…and then ending decidedly heated dislike at the ‘blonde’. Leticia happened to represent just about every negative connotation associated with female ‘nobility’ in Esther’s oh-so-humble opinion. She wouldn’t say every one, after all, the tart hadn’t had anyone executed yet, so bloodthirsty didn’t apply…for now at least.
 
The neglect of her father and abuse of her sister had shaped Ghost in a unique way. She kept her emotions closely guarded but the dam that kept them at bay was destined to crack. A human soul needed love and affection much the same way a flower needed water and sunshine to survive. Her fragile soul was walled up to protect itself from the hostility she face everyday from the people who were supposed to love her. That wall had begun to crack.

Ghost visibly paled when the girl mentioned her father's neglect in mentioning her existence. After all this time, it shouldn't still hurt her but it did. A little bit of her heart broke every time he acted like she never existed. Her eyes closed as she fought against onslaught of tears that threatened to burst through. After numerous deep breaths, she was able to speak. "My father never has acknowledged my existence to the public."

Those kind eyes made Ghost crack and the tears started to flow down her cheeks. "Yes. Leticia hates me. They both hate me." The pain that came with that acknowledgment was almost too much for her to bare. Her voice cracked under the pressure. "My mother died giving birth to me long ago. My father couldn't forgive me for it. Leticia is his favorite and will always be in his heart. My mother left me these books in her will. She had a premonition of her death before I was born."

She held her head in her hands. "I'm sorry. Forgive my outburst. I never cry like this." Ghost did her best to regain control of her emotions. A silk handkerchief was placed in her palm and she looked up at Esther, gratefully. She dabbed at her eyes and felt a little better. She gave the girl an apologetic smile. "These parties never really concerned me. They were always for Leticia, so that she could garner more attention for herself. The men flock to her like a moth to a flame and with pretty much the same result."

Ghost closed her book and laid it on the end table next to the chaise. "I know that the impression my sister must have given you." She grimaced. "I am nothing like her. At least I would like to think so." She smiled at Esther.
 
The pain she saw in the girl ripped at her heart. The sheer fact that some one could be wounded so badly… To be scorned, reviled…to have one’s very existence denied by those who are supposed to love you…

Those tears and sobs were something she could not bear.

Before she even realized that she had begun to move, she was at the girl’s side, placing her silk handkerchief in the poor girl’s hand. Soft eyes gazed upon her, filled nothing but kindness and a desire to comfort her.

It’s ok,” she cooed softly, gently brushing strands of hair away from Patricia’s face, “I believe you are nothing like her,” her hand gently caressed one tear streaked cheek, “Poor thing, so lonely for so long…I can’t imagine what it must be like…”

Esther shook her head, and then drew Patricia into a fierce hug, “…and it ends tonight,” a soft, protective growl came from her feminine throat, “Tonight, Patricia, you have a friend,” she said, refusing to use the name Ghost to this poor neglected woman.

There was a finality in her voice that would book no dissent on this matter. Esther Rockwells and Patricia Waterson were now friends, and that was that.
 
Last edited:
Ghost could scarcely believe that her time alone was over. Somehow God had finally heard her prayers for an end to this sadness in her life and sent someone to be her friend. "There are a few servants that know of my existence. My mother was an angel when she was alive. They take care of me for her sake." The hug was unexpected but welcome in her lonely existence.

The link was formed that night and the two became each other's lifeline. Esther often snuck into the library when she came to visit and Ghost was happy to have company. Her father never really caught on that the two girls had formed a bond or that they were the ones responsible for the little pranks that had befallen Leticia over the last three weeks.

Ghost had never been so happy and content in her life. Seldom had she laughed and Esther had brought it to her life. Day by day her feelings had grown in regards to her friend. Sisterly wasn't exactly the nature of her affection, which confused her greatly. Today Ghost wanted to show Esther the little pond that she went to when the weather was perfect for swimming.

No one ever bother her there and it was refreshing. She had always been a bit of a fish in her own right. It came incredibly natural for her to splash around in the clear water. Leticia had become oddly interested in what she was doing lately which didn't bode well for their friendship. They would have to be careful. If their little excursions were discovered by either Leticia or her father, they would be torn apart.
 
Her father had noticed the change in her after leaving the Waterson’s estate. It was…not what he expected. He knew of Esther and Leticia’s thinly veiled (as well as completely unveiled) snipping at each other, every woman at this level of society seemed to have someone like that. But this look…this…looked, hell it felt like…

War

His daughter was going to war with Leticia.

That would be disastrous for business with her father.

What did Leticia do to infuriate his daughter so? He didn’t think they even saw each other after the initial greeting. Esther certainly wouldn’t have deliberately gone anywhere near her rival.

When they got home, he took her aside into his study and closed the door behind them. They sat down at his desk, and he leaned forward with is elbows on his desk, propping his head up. He studied his daughter, noting that she was now visibly trembling with rage. Edward waited for his daughter to speak her mind.

As that door closed behind her, Esther slowly began to release the controls on her fury. She had not been able to hide it from her father, so there was no point in trying to now. Eventually, she spoke, “Did you know he has another daughter?” she asked, “Leticia has a sister?” she continued on, her rage building again, “That they kept her hidden? That he ignores her? Pretends she doesn’t exist? While she torments her at every opportunity? That she seeks out any relationship her sister starts to form and immediately poisons it?” rage seethed from her, “That this poor girl has gone so far as to call herself ‘Ghost’?

Edward looked punch drunk after his daughter’s tirade. Eventually, he gathered himself together, “I’ve never heard of her,” his own ire beginning to rise, “Did she say why they treat her so?

At this, his daughter visibly saddened, “Her mother died giving birth to her. She said she had been told that her mother was an angel of a woman.

Edward’s own anger stalled at that, “So they blame her for her mother’s death, and shun her is what you’re saying?” she nodded, “I see. I see…but treating the girl so is inexcusable.

Edward was an ironclad believer in a man’s sacred duty to cherish and protect his female family members. It was the only thing he held above educating a woman, and utilizing that intellect to the family’s advantage.

What do you plan to do?” he asked, his calculating mind overriding his emotions. He would not interfere, short of his daughter clearly doing something stupid, which was highly unlikely, but possible in her emotional state.

I don’t know yet, except that I will not abandon her. She is my friend, and I will stand by her,” blue-gray eyes were hard and unyielding. “Nor do I not plan on letting that harpy get off scot-free.

He nodded, eying her seriously, “Be careful Esther. One wrong move and you may do more than cripple my business relationships with him and his allies. Naturally, this is something which I will be thinking long and hard on.” He paused, “But more importantly, you might make things even worse for her. Be careful my little Red, be careful,” he kissed her on the forehead, using his pet name for her.

Esther knew he would keep an eye out for them, and she would do her best to remember his warning. As much as she just wanted to rip the bitch apart, she would be cautious.

A strong friendship had been forged that night, between Esther and the tormented Ghost. The two formed a deep bond that could only be called sisterhood. Ghost was closer to Esther than anyone had ever been, even her own family. She loved her sister, Emma, but Ghost was the truest definition of a sister, even without the ties of blood. Her new ‘sister’ had been in such a terrible wreck when they first met, so emotionally wounded, that it had been festering within her, eating her up…It called to Esther’s very soul, a call which Esther answered without a moment’s hesitation. The wound had been broken open that night and Esther went to work on cleaning it. Loneliness, doubt, and a life time of emotional abuse were fought with companionship, kindness, and a fierce sisterly love.

The two fire haired beauties delighted in arranging little mishaps for the reviled Leticia in the following weeks. They never did the same prank twice, nor did they use the same means of delivery twice. The two would share delightfully evil giggles of happiness afterwards. It wasn't near what Leticia deserved, but it was a start.

Esther had just finished checking on a local business matter for her father, and was now going to meet Ghost at the appointed place. She took care to ensure she was not being followed, Leticia had been showing an unhealthy interest in her friend’s movements, so it was best to be alert for her, her cronies, and her suitors.

She couldn’t wait so see her dearest sister (as if she ever could). Ghost had promised to show her something special.
 
Last edited:
Leticia was eyeing her with an evil intent that made her flesh crawl. Ghost wore her hair up with a blue dress that set off the color of her eyes just nicely. There was a picnic basket sitting on the small ottoman while she searched for a book that she wanted to read to Esther. "Is my baby sister rendezvousing with a beau?" Ghost turned around, visibly pale at her sister's presence. "I'm just going to spend some outside today."

The book she wanted was the old collection of Grimm's fairytales that her mother had. Ghost picked it and the basket up and walked out of the room. It was obvious that Leticia was not going to let this be. She hurried along the path to the pond that she loved so much. The sun was shining brightly and there was a nice breeze against her skin.

Ghost spread the blanket and laid the basket and book on it. Esther would love this! The clear water of the pond was nice and clean for swimming. The two were supposed to meet at the old oak tree on the outer part of their land. Even at twenty yards away, she could recognize that beautiful shade of red from her hair. She walked around and decided to surprise Esther.

Once she was close, Ghost popped up and hugged her friend. "Hello." She giggled at the visible shock she had given the girl. "Sorry. I was just playing. Now for my surprise but you have to clse your eyes and give me your hands." The girl arched a brow at her. "Trust me. You'll like this." They had built enough trust that she allowed Ghost to guide her slowly to the small hidden area of the property where the pond was.

"You can open them now." She pointed to the basket. "I brought us some lunch. This place is one of my favorites when I need to get away from Father or Letty. The pond is great for swimming too." Ghost gestured for her to sit on the blanket she had lain out for them both. The book was in her lap. "This is one of my favorite books. I know its supposed to be children's stories but I never could let go of my love of them."

Ghost had a voice that could soothe a beast into timidness if it had the patience to listen. They sat as she read 'Snow White' and periodically nibbled on the small sandwiches that Ghost had packed for them. "I wonder if anyone gets a 'happy ever after' anymore?"
 
((OOC: Esther will usually be referring to Ghost as her sister from now on, in recognition of how close they are))

Reaching the appointed spot, seeing no signs of being watched or followed, Esther relaxed a bit. It was fortunate that she had her father’s trust to help him with the family business. If she hadn’t been much harder to seem like she was not scanning her surroundings as she had made her way here.

Her mind began to wander as she waited, wondering what her dear sister had in store. What surprise did she have that she was so delighted about sharing with her? It was a question she had thought of often in the past three days since their last meeting.

Those idle thoughts were brought to and abrupt end with a squeak of alarm as someone suddenly enveloped her from behind. Her alarm instantly went away, as she recognized her sister was the one hugging her.

And giggling.

“Alright, you got me!” she turned around and returned the hug, her green dress mingling with Ghost’s blue one. “Then again,” she smirked, “I should expect no less from a ghost. So, what’s this big surprise you have for me?”

"Sorry. I was just playing. Now for my surprise but you have to close your eyes and give me your hands." She arched a brow at Ghost. "Trust me. You'll like this."

“Alright, but no taking advantage of my blindness to spook me,” she shook a finger at Ghost like parent would at a mischievous child before closing her eyes and letting her sister lead her wherever they were going.

At Ghost’s instruction, she opened her eyes after what seemed like forever. Before her was a gorgeous little pond. It was in a lovely secluded area.

“I can see why you would come here, its so lovely and serene here…” she giggled at the mention of swimming, “But I didn’t bring my bathing suit,” she teased, giving her sister another hug before settling down with her on the blanket.

“There’s nothing wrong with liking the Grimm brothers, I happen to think they did a wonderful job with their stories.”

She closed her eyes and listened to Ghost read the tale of Snow White. She was mesmerized by her voice, just as she was the other times Ghost had read to her. The way she told it, it was so vivid…Esther could feel the emotions of the characters in that voice. There was something about that voice that just…entrapped her.

In her mind, she found herself seeing themselves in the story. Ghost as Snow White, her mother the queen who died giving birth to her, Leticia as the evil stepmother, the friendly servants as the huntsman who secretly spared her, and Esther herself as the dwarves who sheltered and protected her. She just hoped that she could ward off the evil Leticia better than the dwarves had the evil stepmother.

"I wonder if anyone gets a 'happy ever after' anymore?"


“I believe some people do. Not in the sense of ‘it is all sunshine from here on’, but to live the majority of their lives happily together, yes, yes I do believe in that,”
she stated after thinking for a moment, “My parents have a happy marriage, is it perfect? No. They have disagreements, even quarrels, but overall, it is a good marriage. They respect and love each other.”

Rotating herself, so that her head was resting in Ghost’s lap, taking a bit of her sandwich before continuing, “Besides, if we don’t hope for ‘happily ever after,’ what do we have to look forward to?”

It felt so nice resting her head in her sister’s lap, she thought as she looked up at Ghost, “Besides…it’s so much fun thinking of Leticia in iron shoes!” she grinned.
 
Back
Top