Comfort food

Don't know what it's called, but it's a kale and bean soup with sausage, and I think this is from Portugal.

They say that almost all cultures that grow beans and leafy green vegetables have a version of this soup. You'd think that beans and greens would have nothing to do with each other gastronomically, but the combination is amazingly delicious, mouth-rich, and satisfying. The amounts of the ingredients don't really matter but you want it thick and semi chunky, kind of like a stew. A stoup, actually, I guess. It's ready in like 30 minutes.

Big bunch of kale or spinach, chopped
Two cans of beans, drained, (I like Great Northern, but you can use probably any kind. Garbanzos are very good, kidneys are fine)
Pound of spicy Italian sausage.
Stick of Chorizo (that's the closest I could get to the Portugese sausage we were supposed to use. You can also use Polish sausage or anything garlicky, or even leave the meat out altogether)
Dehydrated chicken or beef or onion bouillon

Chop up the sausage and brown it in a little oil. Add as much water as you want soup (about 4-6 cups over here) and throw in the kale. Don't worry if the kale barely fits in the pot, it'll cook down to nothing in a few minutes.

When the kale's tender, add boullion according to package directions to make a stock. Throw in the beans to warm through.

That's it. Serve with good crusty bread and red wine. No salt or pepper needed.

The soup is very thick, almost a stew; a stoup, actually, I guess. When you use chorizo, the broth is brick red, which looks lovely against the green kale, especially at Christmas. The slight bitterness and crunch of the greens somehow melds with the bland creaminess of the beans and provides this wonderful taste and tactile experience in your mouth, a perfect background for the meaty spiciness of the sausage. It's very primitive and also wonderfully subtle; very earthy. Warms you from the stomach out.

The stoup is also very forgiving. You can do anything you like to it: add onions and carrots, vegetables, hot sauce, tomatoes, potatoes. It also works well as a fish soup. I've seen recipes where they take some out and put it in a blender and then return that to the pot for extra thickness, or you can add milk or cream to make it rich.

I'll have to try this. It sounds wonderful, and chorizo is easy to find here. :)

Liar, your cheese and toast is hovering before me like a taunting and unreachable grail. I can no longer eat more than about a teaspoon full of dairy, and I miss cheese more than anything. Do have a lovely thick slab for me.

Seacat, ditto on the biscuits and gravy. Ah, lost ambrosia.

Dr. M., I will have to try that stew. It sounds wonderful. I often make a bean and sausage soup of my own, but never thought to try adding greens.

When sick, I love a soup of good, homemade chicken stock with a few handfuls of rice, a head of escarole, and a halved lemon thrown in and simmered. Every spoonful feels like it's doing you the most wonderful good.

Liar, your cheese and toast is hovering before me like a taunting and unreachable grail. I can no longer eat more than about a teaspoon full of dairy, and I miss cheese more than anything. Do have a lovely thick slab for me.

Seacat, ditto on the biscuits and gravy. Ah, lost ambrosia.

Dr. M., I will have to try that stew. It sounds wonderful. I often make a bean and sausage soup of my own, but never thought to try adding greens.

When sick, I love a soup of good, homemade chicken stock with a few handfuls of rice, a head of escarole, and a halved lemon thrown in and simmered. Every spoonful feels like it's doing you the most wonderful good.

ahhh, soul soup.

My comfort food hasn't changed for years:

Sausages, mashed potato and baked beans served with HP sauce.

The details are important. The sausages must be made by our favourite butcher, the mashed potato must be made from local potatoes and seasoned with milk and ground black pepper, and the beans must be Heinz.

That meal always puts me in a good mood.

Og

As we would call them, "Wee Heenie Beanies" I loved that meal Og. Bangers and mash and wee heenie beanies. Oh yes, the HP sauce is a must!

One comfort food that sticks out the most, is Split-pea soup. The left over ham and bone from the Christmas dinner and a day long boil-down with split peas makes for a nice warming soup with some home-made breads, like Asiago Herb, 12 grains, or Oatmeal. Nice to feel something warm when it's hitting -20c and the winds drive it down to -35c.

One comfort food that sticks out the most, is Split-pea soup. The left over ham and bone from the Christmas dinner and a day long boil-down with split peas makes for a nice warming soup with some home-made breads, like Asiago Herb, 12 grains, or Oatmeal. Nice to feel something warm when it's hitting -20c and the winds drive it down to -35c.

And a huge loaf of sourdough bread! And some Zinfandel.

Turkey sandwich on Sourdough, with a little stuffing and cranberry sauce for flavor with just enough lettuce for crunch.

Chicken and Dumplings

Oyster stew

Chicken stew

chicken fried steak and gravy

Tonight was Hungarian cabbage rolls over sauerkraut in a paprika/sour cream gravy with sourdough rolls. Tuesday will be Bean Soup Arany Hordo. With that, we'll have enough satisfying, winter meals to last the rest of the week! :D

Less cooking, more cabinetry--and writing, too, if it gets really nasty outside. My shop is air conditioned but not heated! :eek:

Comfort food? Pig!

Bacon, ham, pork...

Sliced, chops, joints...

With bread or potatoes.

Hot or cold...

Must have skin and fat though: crackling (or rind) and dripping.

Cow, sheep, goat, deer (and for all I know, bear or dog) can be fine, but for utmost comfort, give me cooked pig!

Today Monday is a bank holiday in Australia.

One neighbour brought over two kilos of King Prawns (humungeous shrimps) another some Tasmanian Scallops and a bunch of rock oysters. I barbecued a pile of baby octypus (marinaded in Honey, Soy, chili and one or two odds and ends). Salads & so forth.

Washed it down with mainly NZ Sauvignon Blanc's.

About ten of us for a nice lazy long lunch on the verandah.:)

I forgot to mention the Maron( A few freshwater crayfish)

Today Monday is a bank holiday in Australia.

One neighbour brought over two kilos of King Prawns (humungeous shrimps) another some Tasmanian Scallops and a bunch of rock oysters. I barbecued a pile of baby octypus (marinaded in Honey, Soy, chili and one or two odds and ends). Salads & so forth.

Washed it down with mainly NZ Sauvignon Blanc's.

About ten of us for a nice lazy long lunch on the verandah.:)

I forgot to mention the Maron( A few freshwater crayfish)

You want to make me buy a ticket on Qantas!

It's cold, cloudy and windy outside with what looks to be five days of rain ahead. A good time to dredge up this old thread, methinks. Tonight is supposed to be venison steaks, sweet potato fires and green peas but I'm looking ahead to the cold, wet, weekend. Another round of Bean Soup Arany Hordo, perhaps, for Saturday and Dr Mabeuse's cabbage and bean for later in the week. Or I might reverse the order if HM can't locate her recipe tonight or so. That damned bean soup is a labor of love and takes up most of the afternoon to make but it's sooooo worth the time. I probably ought to plan on more cabbage rolls, too. Being in class on Tuesday and Thursday kind of puts the kibosh on cooking for those two days but does make them an excellent excuse for using up leftovers. And leftover soup is the best!

Potatoes are my ultimate comfort food. I love them. I've never met a potato dish that I didn't like.

Seriously, I think I have a problem. I've likely eaten some form of potato every day for the past twenty years.

Potatoes are my ultimate comfort food. I love them. I've never met a potato dish that I didn't like.

Seriously, I think I have a problem. I've likely eaten some form of potato every day for the past twenty years.

Potatoes are good but having spent a lot of time in south Louisiana and the orient, I've got a big thing for rice. Dirty rice made from leftovers can be a meal unto itself. Then there is wild rabbit or squirrel smother fried over a bed of rice and gravy.

I'm making myself hungry.

Potatoes are good but having spent a lot of time in south Louisiana and the orient, I've got a big thing for rice. Dirty rice made from leftovers can be a meal unto itself. Then there is wild rabbit or squirrel smother fried over a bed of rice and gravy.

I'm making myself hungry.

Ohhhhhh, rice is number two on the list. I loves me some rice. Starches in general are wonderful.

I'd like to agree but being Type II diabetic, refined or easily digested carbs are a very bad idea. However, brown rice, yams and whole grain bread? Bring 'em on!

I'd like to agree but being Type II diabetic, refined or easily digested carbs are a very bad idea. However, brown rice, yams and whole grain bread? Bring 'em on!

I'm a bread-head, too. Any kind of bread. Forever and ever.

Also..

Brown rice = yes, please.

Yams = yes, please.

Whole grain bread = yes, please.

I think I'm gonna go eat a potato sandwich with a side of rice.

Cold weather food in my house is carne guisada, homemade refried beans, and homemade flour tortillas.

Or red beans and rice with a nice sausage.

Or jambalaya.

So I have a penchant for food that takes a long time to cook.

Back