Western Trails (closed)

“I could truly love a man like you.” She said softly, a smile on her own face as he mentioned that he would have never kissed her first. “Hmm…you’ll make me feel ugly if you do not kiss me often.”

She was teasing and she enjoyed hearing the smile on his voice. She laughed softly and wrapped her arms around him, pulling herself into his lap and resting her head against his shoulder. She sighed softly and allowed her eyes to close as they listened to the night around them.

“I think of what might have been if Seth had never chosen me.” She said softly, her fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt as she spoke. “I always wanted a home with a white fence and a few kids running around. I always wanted a man that loved me and thought I was beautiful.”

She paused for a long moment and sighed softly. “With him, everything just seems black and dull. I would have died with him. He would have killed me and there would have been nothing I could do to stop him.”

“With you, I have hope.”
 
He held her as she settled on his lap, it was a strange feeling, one he had never experienced or known. For a man who have only known affection, the thought of being loved and appreciated for anything else but his quick hand and good eye, was an entirely new thing to him. Alien actually.

"Only one thing, if Seth had not chosen you, I would have most likely have ended up either dead two days ago or a man who had wiped out a town."

He smiled as he held her to him, the warm softness a blessing in it's own way

"In a way you have saved me from two fates I would never have wanted."
 
“Hmmm….” Penny sighed, her eyes closed and her body settled against the warmth of his body. “Fate’s a funny thing, huh?”

Penny yawned, her lips parting as she nuzzled against his neck and took in a deep breath of the smell that was unique to him alone. In the darkness, she could pretend that they were anywhere else but in the middle of the wilderness. A firm embrace, a friend in the world…it was all that she needed to relax.
 
He smiled as she settled in against him,

"Indeed it is. Some would say God had a hand in all of this, if that is true, I just hope to hell He knows what He's doing."

He leaned back slightly, resting against the two saddles placed on top of each other, heard the horses settling down to rest as well. It had been a long day for them all and it seemed like he was finding more in Penelope than the abused wife of a coward and a woman willing to help a stranger in need.
 
Penny nodded, drifting off to sleep as he leaned back and held her tightly. She sighed and felt at peace for the first time in such a long time. It felt like a weight was lifted off her shoulders and she didn’t have to bear the weight of the world any longer. John seemed more than willing to do that for her.
 
He draped the blanket over her, making sure she was covered as he sat there, listening to the night as it passed by. When the first rays of the morning broke, he had to wake her, he loathed to do so as she really needed the rest, but the ridge he had aimed for was only a day's travel away, once they reached that, they could be almost certain to escape. He gently shook her awake, which of course was made much easier with her seated on top of him.

"Mornin', we need to get a move on. Cold breakfast I'm afraid, water and jerky."
 
Penny let out a moan of disappointment as she was disturbed from her slumber. She turned her tired eyes towards John as he smiled at her and shook her until she was fully awake. She yawned and stretched, smoothing down her hair until it was more presentable. What she wouldn’t do for a warm bath right about then, she thought to herself as she crawled off his lap.

“I could make some coffee if you like.” She said, another yawn parting her lips as he mentioned a cold breakfast.
 
"No time and the smoke would draw unwanted attention."

He stretched out, feeling unused joints pop, he stifled a yawn of his own,

"The ridge is just a day's trek away, I'm sure we will make it at sunset."

He got to his feet, opened the saddlebags and withdrew the rusks and jerky he had mentioned, then he got his canteen and drank some water. He looked out over the stark country, far behind them, maybe just over half-a-day's travel rose smoke. The posse was starting their day early, but with tired horses they would be going nowhere any time soon. He grinned, that gamble backfired on them and worked out for Penelope and him.
 
Penny took the jerky and canteen as it was offered, chewing on the tough meat and taking a deep swig of the water as she helped him to saddle the hoses. They worked quickly and efficiently, their horses ready to go very soon after she had placed the pallet back into its place.

“You think that you can catch an animal tonight? Maybe a rabbit? I think a good meal would do us both some good when we make it to the ridge.” She suggested as he lifted her into her saddle and she took the reigns firmly in her hands.
 
"Up there? I think you will have to forget the rabbit stew and rather work with some venison, out here the closest you will get to a rabbit is a jackrabbit. I think a mule deer will be closer to what I can shoot for us."

He got into his saddle and edged Sudden forward, they have traveled for almost an hour when the realization hit him and he laughed softly,

"In the excitement of it all, I have skipped breakfast."

He grinned at her,

"Not to worry, I have been through worse. Dare I say you look rather rakish with that nice hat you're wearing."
 
Penny looked at him, surprised by his statement about her wearing his hat. She looked at him with a slowly growing grin, a laughing escaping her as he grinned at her with a boyish look upon his face.

“Oh, don’t tell me you have a sense of humor now.” She said in mock surprise, tipping the brim of his hat back so she could see him more clearly. “And I dare say that you might not get this hat back. I’ve grown fond of it.”
 
He chuckled,

"Always had it, just let's it out to romp around every now and then."

He squinted at the sun and then looked back at her,

"That battered old thing? Once it starts to rain you will change your mind, it leaks like a sieve. Been aiming to buy myself a new one, just never had the heart to get rid of that ol' hat."
 
“Well, maybe not so much the hat, but the man who wears it.” She said with a smile as she kicked her horse into a faster pace, looking over her shoulder at John and Sudden as he watched her move ahead.

“Once we make it to my brother’s house, I’ll buy you all the hats you could want.” She announced, a laugh of pure joy escaping her as she teased the man that had saved her life. It felt good to joke with someone without the fear of a hand upside the head.
 
He grinned as he watched her draw ahead, it was good to see her in good spirits, it was really something that she had needed and in hindsight, something he needet!d to be part of. He nudged Sudden into a lope and the big horse's strides kept him within pace of Penelope and her horse. He just hope she kept an eye out for snakes, they had a nasty habit of finding shelter where you least expected them and scare a horse from right under you.

That is a cheap proposition as I only want one hat!"
 
“Hmmm…” She said as she looked at him with a grin. “Well, if this is the only hat that you want, I think you’ll have to race me for it.”

Her heels squeezed the sides of her horse and she was off like a shot, her eyes sparkling in amusement at the gauntlet that she’d just lain down for John. Would he chase her? Would he take her up on her proposition? She hoped he would. She’d always been a girl who liked a good chase.
 
He chuckled and called after her,

"You can keep that one, I want a new one!"

It was clear that she was in good humor and he found himself to enjoy the moment as well, the horses was fresh, their destination not too far away, there was bound to be some water as the rocks held water for quite some time. He patted the horse's strong neck,

"Want to show here why you're called Sudden big guy?"

The horse snorted and stamped his hooves, he was ready, by now Penelope have created quite a distance between the two of them.

"Well then Sudden. Ha!"

Sudden didn't really need the little smack with his toes to the sides to go barreling forward, within two strides he was at a run, his gait smooth, yet eating ground with amazing speed. He had gotten his name for his speed, he could rush up to you in a sudden. The distance between him and Penelope shrunk rapidly, her horse was a spirited and willing young thing, but she was no match for Sudden when it came to a race. As they drew abreast John flashed Penelope a grin and urged Sudden on, he shot forward leaving Penelope behind. John carried on for a few minutes and started to reign Sudden in, there was no need to murder him, but the exercise was sure to get the big horse's spirits up. He waited for Penelope to join them and gave her a smile.

"And that is why he's called Sudden."
 
The race across the prairie was exhilarating. Penny bent low over her horse’s neck, the wind whipping her hair from beneath the hat that she wore. The breath was caught in her lungs, a smile on her face as she heard the pounding hooves from behind her that signaled that John had joined in the chase.

She let out a laugh as Sudden pulled alongside her, the look on John’s face both smug and confident. She grinned at him as he pulled ahead of her, reaching their destination before she did. She pulled her panting steed up alongside John and gave him a look that meant business.

“I do believe, sir, that you cheated.” She tried to keep the smile from curling her lips too much. “And I demand satisfaction. I think a kiss would suffice.”
 
He raised his one eyebrow,

"Oh? I cheated? In the face of a very serious accusation, I would have to see proof of said cheating."

He kept a straight face even after she had stated her price and then a smile curved the corners of his mouth.

"I think you ask fair redemption, it can be yours."
 
“Of course you cheated.” Penny said, her hands placed on her hips as she started laughing. “You never once told me that the big brute of a horse could run that fast.”

She was laughing again as she watched a smile curve the corners of his mouth and she moved her horse closer, leaning across the saddle to claim her satisfaction. Looping her hand around his neck, she drew him close, their lips meeting and a sigh leaving hers.

The moment was magic. It was like something raced down her spine and shook her to the very core of her being.
 
"Oh? Then I am curious why you thought I had named him Sudden."

He smiled as she moved her horse closer, he placed a hand on the side of her head, his fingers resting on her neck just behind her ear as his palm cupped the curve of her jaw. He held the kiss, turning it into a long kiss, keeping Sudden still with a firm hand on the reigns.
 
Penny clung to him as if he were a rock in the middle of a rushing stream. His kiss was pure heaven and her stomach did a flip when she thought that he was kissing her willingly. She sighed softly as his palm cupped her jaw and he deepened the kiss until she was moaning softly.

When the kiss broke, she whimpered in disappointment, her eyes fluttering open to look into John’s handsome face. She gave him a small smile, another soft peck pressed to his lips before she forced herself to pull away completely.

“I suppose that makes up for the cheating that occurred.” She said, trying to keep the lighthearted matter alive. “And you certainly know how to kiss a woman.”
 
He chuckled,

"I would hope so, cheating is not in Sudden's nature."

He dismounted and carefully looked at the track,

"Perhaps the woman is a good teacher."

He smiled up t her, then got into the saddle again, nudging Sudden along a faint wildlife trail. His eyes kept to the track as they went along, slowly climbing upwards.
 
Penny smiled after him as she pulled herself back into the saddle and followed along behind him on the path that only he seemed to know was there. The underbrush was thick, but John picked their route carefully. Still, she stayed alert, her eyes open and watching for danger that might be hiding just off the path.

“Do you think anyone will know we’re here?” She asked him, the soft nickering of her horse the only other sound besides the rustling of the foliage around them.
 
He nodded,

"I believe that in a day or so the Indians will know, this is their country, you hardly seem to get passed them without their knowing."

He looked back over the desert terrain,

"The tracker will know, he is rather good at his job, you have any idea who it is?"
 
Penny shook her head when he asked her whether she knew who was tracking them. “I don’t know. Seth knows a lot of men though. He probably has someone up his sleeve that he knows through nefarious means.”

She followed along behind him in silence for what seemed like hours. She was exhausted when she saw Sudden pull to a stop and she looked around the spot that they had come into. It seemed barren out here, devoid of life. Penny shivered slightly to think that they might be the only people around for miles.
 
Back
Top